Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 546570 times
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #4715: Jun 09, 2022 03:23:45 pm
      Tbh if he decides to stay and leave on a free we can't force him out, if he becomes a free agent we can still sign him.

He's been honast, commitment to the club and fulfilling his contract giving us everything we asked.

Just because we may want to get some transfer money for him doesn't mean he will accept a move or we accept a clubs offer, especially if they know we are looking to move him on.

If he sees his contract out,. I'll say thank you for your service and good luck.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4716: Jun 09, 2022 03:38:08 pm
      Said before we should sell him ... Sell him now and buy Raphinha/Antony and be done with it !

Maybe with his and Mane's wages off + selling Oxlade, Minamino, Phillips and Neco we have enough to sign Bellingham on top of Nunez and a RW.

Yea we should definitely get worse, that's what we need to do to beat City next season, get rid of a player for a player that's not as good.

we simply cant allow this to still be hanging about at the start of next season it has to be anew contract or Taxi for Mo. I hope he stays I still hope Sadio stays but from the Clubs stand point they have to maximise the situation and letting Mo go for Free next season is a no no same with Sadio.

Walt...forget Sadio...he's as good as gone. His replacement is lined up and ready to make the switch. As for Mo...to maximize the situation is to keep him around for another season and if he leaves on a free so be it. We've already made out on the deal as we've had one of the best players in the world for pennies on the dollar basically.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #4717: Jun 09, 2022 07:54:43 pm
      Players player of the year won it twice now
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4718: Jun 15, 2022 03:46:54 pm
      Is there an actual figure the club are aware of for Mo to stay and if so at what point do they say thats the final offer or make it known he is available. We have got some delicate moving to do this summer losing Sadio is a blow and sad but losing Mo as well would be really difficult .
      Cant see anything in the press about ongoing talks.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #4719: Jun 15, 2022 05:07:45 pm
      Is there an actual figure the club are aware of for Mo to stay and if so at what point do they say thats the final offer or make it known he is available. We have got some delicate moving to do this summer losing Sadio is a blow and sad but losing Mo as well would be really difficult .
      Cant see anything in the press about ongoing talks.

There will be a figure. The club will know what Mo wants. He will want something along the lines of the going rate for a player of his quality.

The club obviously don't want to pay the going rate because it breaks their 'wage structure' . I've felt for along time we should have set a deadline of June 30th. This is the last window for us to get money for him and I'm pretty sure we could find a quality player who will fit the wage bill and they money we get for Mo would help facilitate that.

The club won't pay the going rate as once they do alot of the squad who happily signed their new deals will want a raise. So unless Mo dramatically lessens his demands he ain't staying.

It's a stand off now. The club seems happy to get another year and then risk losing him to city etc and Mo is more than happy to wait 12 more months for the big payday he's got his eyes firmly fixed on.

Mo earns 200k a week currently according to the athletic and other more reliable journos ...

Let's say we are giving him a raise to 250k flat plus substantial performance related bonuses. That's 65 MILLION over 5 years plus extras. They may be offering more. I'm just been cautious on the estimation.

If all those millions ain't enough for him and he turns his back and walks out on us for a few more million then he doesn't love the club like he says he does. That's the way I see it.

I will appreciate what he's done but meh.

The club could have avoided this and all the constant talking about it next season by selling him and finding another gem. Or failing that they'd also be better off just announcing this will be his last season at the club and save all the endless annoying talk next season.

All these people saying they can still agree a deal are deluded. We arnt breaking the wage bill and Mo wants his money and he's happy to join a rival to get it. He wants that going rate or near it.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #4720: Jun 17, 2022 10:59:15 pm
      See all the Madrid stuff laughing at him. Modric Rodrygo etc...

He was a silly boy to talk as he did before the final. Don't think its the clubs style.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #4721: Jun 17, 2022 11:12:48 pm

He was a silly boy to talk as he did before the final. Don't think its the clubs style.
      His talking after the final "...Wish I could play the game again"..(I paraphrase), was equally silly
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #4722: Jun 18, 2022 12:51:05 am
      His talking after the final "...Wish I could play the game again"..(I paraphrase), was equally silly

Since AFCON he’s not been right mentally.
      I’m hoping by the time the season starts he finds his feet again.
      Forget about ‘scores to settle’ and revenge and all that jazz. Get back to scoring goals.

If he carries his poor form into next season it’ll hamper any hopes we have for titles.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4723: Jun 18, 2022 02:49:41 am

I think that was even sillier. because he already had his chance and blew it. I don't necessarily disagree with someone saying they want revenge, but that means they have to back it up and he didn't which makes him look bad.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4724: Jun 18, 2022 06:06:48 am
      Well he has come out and said if he doesn't win the Balon D'Or this year, he's gonna do everything in his power to win it next year.

That could only mean good things for us with a very determined Mo, running amok!
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #4725: Jun 18, 2022 10:04:29 am

Can’t have any complaints truth be told, he should have followed Jürgen’s lead and kept quiet, don’t see why you would need to say it, it can only motivate your opponent further.

Talk after once the job is done and now this rubbish about wanting the balon D’or next year…just do your business and see where you get to, stop painting a target on your own back
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #4726: Jun 18, 2022 10:11:38 am
      Well he has come out and said if he doesn't win the Balon D'Or this year, he's gonna do everything in his power to win it next year.

That could only mean good things for us with a very determined Mo, running amok!

"It's a privilege to play for these supporters"....Enough said. Wanting to win the Ballon D"or comes across as self serving and hubristic to me...If you win it fine...But your loyalty lies with the club paying your wages.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #4727: Jun 18, 2022 01:30:48 pm
      Why don’t the club offer wages in line with the structure they want to stay within but offer a silly signing on fee that would satisfy his wage demands? Not done the maths so do t know what it would need to be.

I just don’t think it will work with Mo just running out his contract myself. It will get talked about every week, the fans will stop singing his name and I can see it all getting a bit gripey. You have to sell him or sign him.

And selling him puts us in a bit of a rebuilding mode with our two best attackers the past 5 years out the picture.
      « Last Edit: Jun 18, 2022 01:37:57 pm by Scottbot »
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #4728: Jun 18, 2022 02:30:00 pm
      Not sure which way it will go but for him to leave on a free would leave a bitter taste to say nothing of the actual loss in financial and playing terms. To my mind it's an issue we need to make progress with this summer otherwise we will have non-stop speculation throughout the season, when it should all be about the team.

It's a situation that has already arguably had an effect on Mo's form and goes against the sense of renewal brought about by the signing of Nunez and with Diaz having come in and done so well. If you're on board, get on board. It's long past time.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #4729: Jun 18, 2022 03:10:26 pm
      Not sure which way it will go but for him to leave on a free would leave a bitter taste to say nothing of the actual loss in financial and playing terms. To my mind it's an issue we need to make progress with this summer otherwise we will have non-stop speculation throughout the season, when it should all be about the team.

It's a situation that has already arguably had an effect on Mo's form and goes against the sense of renewal brought about by the signing of Nunez and with Diaz having come in and done so well. If you're on board, get on board. It's long past time.
      I think the man's dip in form was mainly due to the sheer number of minutes he played. I saw a stat (unconfirmed) the other day that basically showed he is the outfield player that played the most minutes in all top 5 leagues.

If you take the 4000 minutes he players across all competitions with us and add to them the 3 x 90 minutes games at AFCON + the 4 x 120 minutes at AFCON + the 90 minutes in the 1st leg WC qualifier against Senegal + the 120 minutes of the second leg it all amounts to about 5000 minutes of football. After a quick glance at Transfermarkt, I dont think anybody comes close to this number of minutes across the top 5 leagues (except for goalkeepers). It must be absolutely knackering. And to be honest, overall, even without scoring as much in the second half of the season, he still helped the team with some key plays, assists, etc.

The contract situation has to be resolved, but overall I think he is the type of player who will still deliver. Contract talk in the media, stupid tweets by his agent, and talks between him and the club were all well underway during the first half of the season and he was still delivering like nobody else. I think after AFCON he came back knackered both physically and mentally but the former is what slowed him down.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4730: Jun 18, 2022 04:15:11 pm
      Still lots of noise about staying or Leaving for Barca which surely will not happen on a Free Transfer I would rather he go now and give Jürgen some funds towards another striker. but without Mo at his best we reached three finals and came runners up we will always score goals and always have done. It must be unsettling for the squad so either give him what he wants or sell him time is ticking.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #4731: Jun 18, 2022 04:16:18 pm
      I think the man's dip in form was mainly due to the sheer number of minutes he played. I saw a stat (unconfirmed) the other day that basically showed he is the outfield player that played the most minutes in all top 5 leagues.

If you take the 4000 minutes he players across all competitions with us and add to them the 3 x 90 minutes games at AFCON + the 4 x 120 minutes at AFCON + the 90 minutes in the 1st leg WC qualifier against Senegal + the 120 minutes of the second leg it all amounts to about 5000 minutes of football. After a quick glance at Transfermarkt, I dont think anybody comes close to this number of minutes across the top 5 leagues (except for goalkeepers). It must be absolutely knackering. And to be honest, overall, even without scoring as much in the second half of the season, he still helped the team with some key plays, assists, etc.

The contract situation has to be resolved, but overall I think he is the type of player who will still deliver. Contract talk in the media, stupid tweets by his agent, and talks between him and the club were all well underway during the first half of the season and he was still delivering like nobody else. I think after AFCON he came back knackered both physically and mentally but the former is what slowed him down.

No doubt all of that is true. His contribution even when he isn't on top form is still often very  significant. The contract shenanigans can't be helping though.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #4732: Jun 18, 2022 04:25:34 pm

Again the tired argument is put forward as to his drop in form.
      Tiredness is a factor in all sport, both mental and physical, it's something you deal with and overcome. It shouldn't be used as a reason for underperforming. Listen to any winner and time and again you'll hear them talk about being shattered, but they push on through the pain barrier, success drives them on, they just won't give in to being tired. Can you imagine how tired Edmund Hillary was before he made his final accent to the top of Everest?
       You have obviously done your research about minutes played etc. and I don't dispute your figures, I'll even concede tiredness
      can affect performance, but with top athletes the level of drop is minimal. If he was as tired as you suggest, we would expect to see a slight drop-off over a short amount of time before he rebalanced his energy levels back to normal. His form in the second half of the season was like falling off a cliff, it could have been multiple reasons, or perhaps no reason at all...just plain old lack of form.
      The tired angle is just a lazy way of trying to justify a loss of form for anyone...in any pursuit.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #4733: Jun 18, 2022 04:38:15 pm
      Still lots of noise about staying or Leaving for Barca which surely will not happen on a Free Transfer I would rather he go now and give Jürgen some funds towards another striker. but without Mo at his best we reached three finals and came runners up we will always score goals and always have done. It must be unsettling for the squad so either give him what he wants or sell him time is ticking.
      The Mo issue is getting on everyone's nerves, I agree with you the sooner he either commits to another contract or not, the better for all of us.
      Like you, For me, he signs a new contract this summer, or the club listens to any offers for him.
      You say We reached 3 finals and will always score goals....but sadly none in any of those games.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #4734: Jun 18, 2022 05:37:42 pm
      Tiredness is a factor in all sport, both mental and physical, it's something you deal with and overcome. It shouldn't be used as a reason for underperforming. Listen to any winner and time and again you'll hear them talk about being shattered, but they push on through the pain barrier, success drives them on, they just won't give in to being tired. Can you imagine how tired Edmund Hillary was before he made his final accent to the top of Everest?
       You have obviously done your research about minutes played etc. and I don't dispute your figures, I'll even concede tiredness
      can affect performance, but with top athletes the level of drop is minimal. If he was as tired as you suggest, we would expect to see a slight drop-off over a short amount of time before he rebalanced his energy levels back to normal. His form in the second half of the season was like falling off a cliff, it could have been multiple reasons, or perhaps no reason at all...just plain old lack of form.
      The tired angle is just a lazy way of trying to justify a loss of form for anyone...in any pursuit.
      I see where you are coming from, the problem with what you're saying is not the question ''did his form drop or not''. I think everyone agrees it did. What is not so easy to asses is how much did his form drop and drop from which height onto which low?

Salah was performing at a scary level in the first half of the season. Basically, nobody in the world was near that level from Sept to December. Then his form dropped from mid-late January until the end of the season. In the meantime, he still nets you 8 goals and 6 assists on top of being involved in a non negligible amount of key plays that led to goals.

If that is considered not pushing through the pain barrier then I dont know what is. Better yet, go find yourself a winger that will ''push through'' that pain barrier and net you those numbers.

I'm not an FSG out or FSG in person but if contract talks are bothering people then I dont know what to say. Its any player's right to negotiate a contract and its the club's right to do the same with the money they want to spend on wages. If we can't give the guy a break for his form having dropped a few months (while he still banged much more goals and assists than 99% of the other wingers on the planet will give you when in regular or even their top form) then what is there to say?

It was the same with Sadio. As soon as the guy would have a dip in form, it would be the constant moaning. Almost as if he was vacationing while the rest of the team is working hard or as if he is not human and supposed to perform at a constant rate like a machine. Now the same people are moaning that he is going and that its almost impossible to find somebody who will give you the same numbers. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4735: Jun 18, 2022 06:56:41 pm
      The Mo issue is getting on everyone's nerves, I agree with you the sooner he either commits to another contract or not, the better for all of us.
      Like you, For me, he signs a new contract this summer, or the club listens to any offers for him.
      You say We reached 3 finals and will always score goals....but sadly none in any of those games.

Form is not due to lack of application or effort players find and lose form on a regular basis it isnt something Sport science can manage its very individual. But if  Mo isnt 100% committed to this club long term then you simply cant hide it and perhaps this is showing in his post Afcon performances or maybe his time is up . No better goal machine the Rushie but his numbers tailed of in time like all Strikers  maybe Mo's best seasons are behind him either way it needs resolving quickly.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #4736: Jun 18, 2022 07:44:46 pm
      I see where you are coming from, the problem with what you're saying is not the question ''did his form drop or not''. I think everyone agrees it did. What is not so easy to asses is how much did his form drop and drop from which height onto which low?

Salah was performing at a scary level in the first half of the season. Basically, nobody in the world was near that level from Sept to December. Then his form dropped from mid-late January until the end of the season. In the meantime, he still nets you 8 goals and 6 assists on top of being involved in a non negligible amount of key plays that led to goals.

If that is considered not pushing through the pain barrier then I dont know what is. Better yet, go find yourself a winger that will ''push through'' that pain barrier and net you those numbers.

I'm not an FSG out or FSG in person but if contract talks are bothering people then I dont know what to say. Its any player's right to negotiate a contract and its the club's right to do the same with the money they want to spend on wages. If we can't give the guy a break for his form having dropped a few months (while he still banged much more goals and assists than 99% of the other wingers on the planet will give you when in regular or even their top form) then what is there to say?

It was the same with Sadio. As soon as the guy would have a dip in form, it would be the constant moaning. Almost as if he was vacationing while the rest of the team is working hard or as if he is not human and supposed to perform at a constant rate like a machine. Now the same people are moaning that he is going and that its almost impossible to find somebody who will give you the same numbers.
      My post wasn't a direct criticism of Salah. There is a consensus that there was a measurable decline in his form, albeit from an exceptional hight.
      I don't offer any reason for it. The post was in response to yet another "He was tired" posting. I make the point tiredness is a lame reason.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4737: Jun 18, 2022 07:45:35 pm

Are you a qualified sport scientist ?, to suggest the number of minutes he played in afcon can't be used as a factor is absolute nonsense. Jota lost form, probably wasn't down to tiredness and definitely not a contract issue.

Quick Reply