Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 546576 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #4738: Jun 18, 2022 07:59:30 pm
      Are you a qualified sport scientist ?, to suggest the number of minutes he played in afcon can't be used as a factor is absolute nonsense. Jota lost form, probably wasn't down to tiredness and definitely not a contract issue.
      I'm not a sports scientist, qualified or otherwise...I didn't say tiredness wasn't a factor, it just wasn't to a degree that on it's own could explain his drop off in form. I've no idea, nor probably does he, why his form dipped...but the metrics prove it did. Perhaps there isn't a reason to find...it was probably just one of those things that happen in life that are not wholly explainable.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #4739: Jun 18, 2022 08:04:31 pm
      My post wasn't a direct criticism of Salah. There is a consensus that there was a measurable decline in his form, albeit from an exceptional hight.
      I don't offer any reason for it. The post was in response to yet another "He was tired" posting. I make the point tiredness is a lame reason.
      I understand, and I am not fighting with you or wanting to start a poisonous debate or anything. My question, however, is, ''if tiredness is a lame reason for losing form, then what isn't?''. And assuming it is in fact a ''lame reason'' and he is actually distracted by the contract talks, why was he performing for the first 5 months of the season despite talks being well underway since last summer, his agent acting an ass since forever and media giving the same coverage?

Also, we are not sports scientists but what we always hear from professional (players and sports scientists) is that lots of minutes will lead to players being exhausted and performances dropping. How can we all of a sudden decide that a player playing an incredible amount of minutes (5000+ minutes in the same season) is a lame excuse?

And if we have nothing to back the claim that those are lame excuses, doesn't that bring us back to what I was mentioning in my last post, which is a combination of aimless moaning and vilification of players just like it happened with Sadio, Gini and now Mo. Some people deciding that Mo is underperforming because of his contract, they decide to ignore the cold hard scientifically backed facts and when given answers to their moans the only thing you get back from them is ''yes, but''.

If you know any player that fits one of those descriptions then give us a shout:

- A player who can play 5000 minutes in a season and give us those numbers or

- A player who who can give us those numbers or something near those numbers without playing 5000 minutes or

- A player who will be distracted by his contract (if we assume 5000 minutes of game time is a lame excuse covering up for him being distracted) and still pump up those numbers or

- A player who wont be distracted by his contract and still give us those numbers
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4740: Jun 18, 2022 09:21:18 pm
      But Salah can easily sort the contract out
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #4741: Jun 18, 2022 09:48:05 pm
      I understand, and I am not fighting with you or wanting to start a poisonous debate or anything. My question, however, is, ''if tiredness is a lame reason for losing form, then what isn't?''. And assuming it is in fact a ''lame reason'' and he is actually distracted by the contract talks, why was he performing for the first 5 months of the season despite talks being well underway since last summer, his agent acting an ass since forever and media giving the same coverage?

Also, we are not sports scientists but what we always hear from professional (players and sports scientists) is that lots of minutes will lead to players being exhausted and performances dropping. How can we all of a sudden decide that a player playing an incredible amount of minutes (5000+ minutes in the same season) is a lame excuse?

And if we have nothing to back the claim that those are lame excuses, doesn't that bring us back to what I was mentioning in my last post, which is a combination of aimless moaning and vilification of players just like it happened with Sadio, Gini and now Mo. Some people deciding that Mo is underperforming because of his contract, they decide to ignore the cold hard scientifically backed facts and when given answers to their moans the only thing you get back from them is ''yes, but''.

If you know any player that fits one of those descriptions then give us a shout:

- A player who can play 5000 minutes in a season and give us those numbers or

- A player who who can give us those numbers or something near those numbers without playing 5000 minutes or

- A player who will be distracted by his contract (if we assume 5000 minutes of game time is a lame excuse covering up for him being distracted) and still pump up those numbers or

- A player who wont be distracted by his contract and still give us those numbers
      Like you, I'm not interested in generating any conflict with fellow posters. I respect all opinions on this forum, whether I agree with them or not.
      My point, as clearly as I can make it is: Tiredness has been bandied about as the prime cause of Salah's dip in form for the second half of the past season. I put forward my opinion that tiredness isn't the reason, there may be no reason....or lots of reasons, we can't ever know. IF, there are multiple reasons, then tiredness might well be in there, to some degree.(I conceded this in an earlier post) ...It is not, on it's own the reason.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4742: Jun 18, 2022 10:08:21 pm

perfect mate its in his control he came to Liverpool as a good player but a Prem failure a little acknowledgment of what the club and Jürgen's staff have to done to help him along with some very special team mates would not go amiss
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #4743: Jun 19, 2022 05:41:40 am
      We could also say the same and replace "salah" with "FSG" in that sentence.

I think people should stop treating issues like that with so much emotion and a black or white approach. Both parties are entitled to negotiate the contract they will be part of. At thw end of the day salah is an employee and lfc (fsg) is an employer. Both are looking for their best interest just like everyone is in life. Can't fault aby of the two.

We can have opinions as to what the two should accept or refuse but its not as easy as "salah could easily sort the contract out" implying he somehow is deliberately being hard to deal with for the sake of it.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #4744: Jun 19, 2022 09:58:12 am
      Rumours that we’ve gone as far as we can without ‘smashing our wage structure’.

Obviously no exact figures and my previous view on this was that we should pay Mo the salary that a worlds top player can earn in this market.

But I’ve thought about it again, all players need to know the market is skewed by the oil clubs and if you want those huge salaries then that’s where you need to ply your trade. Majority of other top clubs can’t compete with that.

We are refreshing the squad and even though I want him to sign, if he’s not going to then this is the summer to sell and go into next season without this hanging over us, it will be a story every week. With Jürgen in charge and the way things are run now, I’d have faith that we would be able to move forward regardless.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #4745: Jun 19, 2022 10:37:47 am
      Rumours that we’ve gone as far as we can without ‘smashing our wage structure’.

Obviously no exact figures and my previous view on this was that we should pay Mo the salary that a worlds top player can earn in this market.

But I’ve thought about it again, all players need to know the market is skewed by the oil clubs and if you want those huge salaries then that’s where you need to ply your trade. Majority of other top clubs can’t compete with that.

We are refreshing the squad and even though I want him to sign, if he’s not going to then this is the summer to sell and go into next season without this hanging over us, it will be a story every week. With Jürgen in charge and the way things are run now, I’d have faith that we would be able to move forward regardless.

Not looking like a deal will be met for me . This is just going to roll and roll and at least with Mane we got the money back we paid. Can't see him leaving now no replacement etc .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4746: Jun 19, 2022 01:44:57 pm
      Quote from tezmac link=to2pic=49718.msg2483948#msg2483948 date=1655583678

By signing for Newcastle!! :lmao:
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4747: Jun 19, 2022 03:26:34 pm

I think people should stop treating issues like that with so much emotion and a black or white approach. Both parties are entitled to negotiate the contract they will be part of. At thw end of the day salah is an employee and lfc (fsg) is an employer. Both are looking for their best interest just like everyone is in life. Can't fault aby of the two.

We can have opinions as to what the two should accept or refuse but its not as easy as "salah could easily sort the contract out" implying he somehow is deliberately being hard to deal with for the sake of it.

But it is. He can sign any time he wants and put an end to this. And it does seem he is being hard(er) to deal with since he's the only know who has not resigned while last summer we saw Trent, Alisson, Van Dijk, Fabinho and Hendo all extended very quickly, quietly and without an issue.

If he wants wages commensurate with the other highest paid players he knows he's not going to get that here but he is free to do that and don't begrudge him.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4748: Jun 19, 2022 03:30:33 pm
      Not looking like a deal will be met for me . This is just going to roll and roll and at least with Mane we got the money back we paid. Can't see him leaving now no replacement etc .

It will definitely be a distraction this season, especially in January and beyond when he can sign an agreement with someone else.

I think the fact we are not selling him is because we still think a deal can be worked out and Salah can/will come back to his senses and sign under the wage structure everyone else has.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #4749: Jun 19, 2022 04:17:39 pm
      It will definitely be a distraction this season, especially in January and beyond when he can sign an agreement with someone else.

I think the fact we are not selling him is because we still think a deal can be worked out and Salah can/will come back to his senses and sign under the wage structure everyone else has.
      Gone on too long for me . Be very surprised if he backs down especially when he will be able to get what he wants elsewhere
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #4750: Jun 19, 2022 04:38:31 pm
      Sadly the deal works for us and Mo.

Hes only getting a move on big wages at 31 if there's no transfer fee involved and we won't want to lose Sadio and Mo in the same year.

Not sure about us next season really. The midfield looks a bit bare to me and not sure Nunez will hit the ground running straight away.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #4751: Jun 19, 2022 04:53:47 pm
      But it is. He can sign any time he wants and put an end to this. And it does seem he is being hard(er) to deal with since he's the only know who has not resigned while last summer we saw Trent, Alisson, Van Dijk, Fabinho and Hendo all extended very quickly, quietly and without an issue.

If he wants wages commensurate with the other highest paid players he knows he's not going to get that here but he is free to do that and don't begrudge him.
      Nope, its not. If you want to oversimplify it for it to fit the classic ''bad or good'' dichotomy then have at it. He has a right to negotiate his contract, we love him, he's a legend and all that good stuff but as soon as there is a disagreement between the club and him and we feel he might leave then we have to revert to ''bad mo'', ''greedy mo'' and all that good stuff. Quite frankly, its some kindergarten stuff, but large chunks of the football fans can't deal with regular adult interactions other than with this logic (good or bad, no in between)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4752: Jun 19, 2022 08:38:57 pm
      Bring us the league next season and you can go wherever you want.

However, I think that he will sign.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #4753: Jun 19, 2022 10:49:20 pm
      The fact we haven’t heard any rumours of pending transfer offers for him might be a good thing and hopefully the lines of communication between the club and his agent are still open and there is still a chink of hope a deal can be done.

I simply can’t see it working if Mo is allowed to run his contract down. You would have to sell him surely? But if we do, I’m struggling to see us winning the league next season without our two best forwards of the last 5 years and would be surprised if we didn’t take a bit of a step backwards.

I just hope they can get a deal done. I’d offer him 40 million upfront and then perhaps the weekly wage can be more in keeping with the current structure.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #4754: Jun 20, 2022 12:00:36 am
      I simply can’t see it working if Mo is allowed to run his contract down. You would have to sell him surely? But if we do, I’m struggling to see us winning the league next season without our two best forwards of the last 5 years and would be surprised if we didn’t take a bit of a step backwards.

You can argue the 30m you would get for him wouldn't be worth what you are probably going to get in production from for the upcoming season and potential titles we could win resulting.

I figured if he didn't resign by now that he will play out his contract and walk away on a free next summer. Things could change but I have hard to seeing either side giving in.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #4755: Jun 20, 2022 11:20:12 am
      The fact we haven’t heard any rumours of pending transfer offers for him might be a good thing

Because there is only, maybe PSG who would offer ridiculous wages he is asking.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4756: Jun 20, 2022 11:42:49 am
      You can argue the 30m you would get for him wouldn't be worth what you are probably going to get in production from for the upcoming season and potential titles we could win resulting.

I figured if he didn't resign by now that he will play out his contract and walk away on a free next summer. Things could change but I have hard to seeing either side giving in.

Id take 30 goals next season over 30million. ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4757: Jun 20, 2022 12:01:00 pm

Correction the rumour his agent is putting about.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #4758: Jun 20, 2022 12:13:37 pm
      I'd happily take one more world class season from Mo if it meant a PL title...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4759: Jun 20, 2022 02:09:40 pm

Or Chelsea, or Man United or Man City.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4760: Jun 20, 2022 02:12:40 pm

It's funny, Mane is being lauded a hero for going to Bayern to get a huge pay increase, but Mo asking for a huge pay increase makes him a pariah.

Quick Reply