Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 546553 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)
      Reply #5083: Sep 03, 2022 06:35:08 pm
      Not sure what the tactics are with Mo he is rarely seen in the box these days.

Seems to be playing wider, possibly based on getting Nunez into the game.

A couple of times I felt he could of cut in and try let rip with his left, but instead kept playing them aimless balls into the box.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5084: Sep 03, 2022 06:35:35 pm
      he left it on the plane coming home from the Afcon and that was a long time ago a time when we thought we would falter without him but we didnt we did well maybe a few games on the Bench will ground him

Few games on the bench could very well help, especially if like I think many of your players not recovered properly from last years exploits.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5085: Sep 03, 2022 06:40:39 pm
      Salahs form is shocking since the AFCON has been shocking needs a rest and a reset
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #5086: Sep 03, 2022 06:56:19 pm
      Just seen a stat that he has created 23 chances from open play - thatā€™s double the amount of any other player.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5087: Sep 03, 2022 07:00:38 pm
      Just seen a stat that he has created 23 chances from open play - thatā€™s double the amount of any other player.

Donā€™t you mean you were searching for a stat.  ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5088: Sep 03, 2022 07:40:04 pm

if you dont quote contrary Mary I cant see his posts
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #5089: Sep 03, 2022 07:52:00 pm

🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Nah just all over Twitter , nearest player is Kulasevski with 11
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #5090: Sep 03, 2022 10:43:37 pm
      Auba, Ozil, De Gea, Sancho, Varane....

Is Mo next in this cursed list?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #5091: Sep 04, 2022 06:50:49 am
      His positioning made no sense to me today, at times he was very very wide and at others, he was right behind Nunez.

Another poster eluded to it but maybe this wide approach is to help utilise Nunez more and lead to crosses in the box, but we always had Trent whipping them in without Salah needing to be so wide so not sure.

Unlucky not to have got a goal at the end or get an assist with Bobby but it seems the type of position he is playing now isn't helping his form.

I think he has been playing wider going right back into the 2nd half of last season. At the same time we started to see Trent popping up infield in more central areas.

People can point at Salah and of course they will but the issues are deeper than that.

- We are missing Mane like crazy. His physicality, movement and unpredictability as a number 9 was crucial last season.

- We donā€™t seem to have figured out how we want to play with Nunez in the side. Itā€™s like weā€™re trying to play the same way but the personnel are different.

- Weā€™re missing Thiago and the full backs have both been off their game.

- Virgil looks a bit shakey to me. Less assured and making little mistakes.

Klopp has sone work to do for sure. Feels like a transitional season ahead for me.

Itā€™s a bunch of
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #5092: Sep 04, 2022 01:56:01 pm
      He's not playing to the level we have got used to in the last few years. AFCON appears to have been the point where he lost form, as many have said.

But he's still 1 of the best players in the league and in our team. There are lots of games coming up so he'll need to play a lot but maybe he needs to have a few games on the bench in the next few months. He's not going to WC so maybe a month rest will help him.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #5093: Sep 04, 2022 02:35:23 pm
      With Mo Salah losing his scoring touch, it will be good to have Jota fit for selection soon !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5094: Sep 04, 2022 03:08:49 pm

Over what period?

Cos I'm not seeing that in play!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5095: Sep 04, 2022 03:09:56 pm
      Auba, Ozil, De Gea, Sancho, Varane....

Is Mo next in this cursed list?

What's the cursed list about first?

Struggling to work out your thinking here?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #5096: Sep 04, 2022 03:12:09 pm
      Over what period?

Cos I'm not seeing that in play!!

This season
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5097: Sep 04, 2022 03:13:39 pm

Bollocks.

Fulham and possibly Bourbemouth he looked like that, hasn't looked anywhere close to that in the other games.

He struggled to get into yesterday's game.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #5098: Sep 04, 2022 03:29:11 pm
      Bollocks.

Fulham and possibly Bourbemouth he looked like that, hasn't looked anywhere close to that in the other games.

He struggled to get into yesterday's game.

https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/1566108766340354048?s=21&t=3oYbethsapfvI9qpUaCj4g

Didnā€™t include yesterday where it was another 3
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #5099: Sep 04, 2022 03:52:44 pm
      What's the cursed list about first?

Struggling to work out your thinking here?

In the Prem they all got massive contracts, at 350 pw, and turned sh*t
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5100: Sep 05, 2022 06:36:45 pm
      think Mo has something like 7 or 8 in his last 27 / 28 games for him this is shocking. He seems to be playing well but not getting into the scoring chances he needs. I think we have seen the back of Mo and 30 plus goals a season and Golden boots. I cant understand why JĆ¼rgen said he isnt playing more out wide when its clear to so many people he is and at the same time Trent is off form too. If our WB's are off form we will struggle
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #5101: Sep 06, 2022 06:52:33 am
      think Mo has something like 7 or 8 in his last 27 / 28 games for him this is shocking. He seems to be playing well but not getting into the scoring chances he needs. I think we have seen the back of Mo and 30 plus goals a season and Golden boots. I cant understand why JĆ¼rgen said he isnt playing more out wide when its clear to so many people he is and at the same time Trent is off form too. If our WB's are off form we will struggle

Enrique said it's 6 goals from Open play in 33 games since AFCON.

Our ills this season are not new.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5102: Sep 06, 2022 10:03:21 am
      Enrique said it's 6 goals from Open play in 33 games since AFCON.

Our ills this season are not new.

something happened during his contract negotiations and the Afcon I wonder if Mo has a twin because we never got our Mo back.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #5103: Sep 06, 2022 12:57:43 pm
      something happened during his contract negotiations and the Afcon I wonder if Mo has a twin because we never got our Mo back.

I don't think it's his fault. The team has not been playing the same, not the same automatisms and teams have certainly understood how to beat us. Don't allow us to play counter-attacking and defend properly. Expose our high defence and exploit our weak link : TAA.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5104: Sep 06, 2022 01:22:37 pm
      Suppose with the lack of sprinting and movement Mo has suffered in the chances he is getting
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #5105: Sep 06, 2022 03:23:00 pm
      I think that the whole team has just started the season awfully and the whole team, as a unit, is displaying numerous problems in various areas of the pitch. Just to name a few of those issues, ur back-line cannot buy us a few clean sheets in times of need and against manageable opposition, and our midfield is basically a gaping hole at times and creates very little for the front-line.

In all of that, you expect a player like Mo to get the brunt of the blame. It's normal, he just signed a new contract and in all his time with us he's set an incredibly high standard for himself. People have come to expect Mo to score in every game and when he doesn't, even if its for a couple of games, eyebrows are raised, understandably so. With that said, I'd argue that with all the problems we've been going through since the season kicked off, he's still our best player and he's performing in an environment where nothing is helping him. And when I say ''nothing'', I quite literally mean it.

What I've noticed so far in regards to our offense problems:

- Mo is visibly playing much wider than he usually does, but is this his decision or something that comes from the manager? I honestly think it could be a mix of both and my logic is simple. He is running himself into the ground every game making numerous runs that are either not seen, not capitalized on or quite simply, the quality of the passing is horrid (go back and watch our games). You can see that  particularly when Diaz has the ball. Luis is a winger that naturally plays wide and uses his trickery, agility and explosion with the ball at his feet to create space for himself and cut on the inside to shoot or feed other players. I'd argue that Luis does the first part of this very well yet he can't seem to shoot or feed the players making runs for him. I think I lost count of the number of times I see Mo, the RCM or the RB making a very clever diagonal run while Luis is cutting to the inside after beating his man and Luis completely ignores those runs and either stops to recycle the ball or takes on one to many man. This is exactly the type of stuff Mane saw and he would make the pass, giving us a scoring change or at the very least disrupting the opposition's shape in defence.

- Like I said above, Luis is naturally very wide and what he does with the ball is very predictable. He's not the type of player where you ask yourself if the opposition can guess what he'll do next, but you rather ask yourself if the opposition will manage to stop what we all know is coming next. The bigger problem is not that what he does with the ball, its what he doesn't do without it. He simply does not make even 50% of those runs behind the opposition's backline that Mane used to. The resulting consequence is simple, teams will tilt their whole backline and midfield towards Salah because they can now afford to double and triple mark the only winger, I would even argue the only forward, they know will make direct and difficult to defend runs and they do so with no consequence whatsoever being felt on the opposite flank because they know Luis is more or less static, staying quite wide until he receives the ball. Mane used to ask the same questions Salah asks of the opposition's backline but on the left. This makes it so that you can't afford the extra man from midfield to sit on Salah or the CB staying quite close to his LB to face Salah and the same on the right flank.

- However, the main problem is : we have next to no penetration down the middle. We saw it, the few times we actually managed to break the first and second line of opposition's press we were in on goal  and we scored. Think the beautiful pass from Harvey to Mo that leads to the Bobby goal against Newcastle, the Matip pass to Elliott on our first against Fulham, or the TAA ball from the middle of the park to Mo that then leads to our second against Fulham. Go watch those goals again and then watch the other goals we scored this season, but take the Bournemouth game out of the equation because quite frankly, they were too poor to even give any reliable data to work with. What do you notice? With the Bournemouth game out of the picture we have scored a total of 6 goals, 3 of them are the ones mentioned above, good penetrating line breaking passes that lead to space and guess what, direct involvement for Mo. The other 3, individual affairs : the Diaz wonder goal against Palace, Mo's goal against United, and Fabio's late winner against Newcastle. What does that tell us? Quite simply, until we find a way to create from the middle, teams will tilt their whole shape towards Mo and TAA with no consequences having to be paid because the middle of the park is devoid of any penetrative passing that can punish those teams through the spaces they afford us in there. 

So what does that tell us? Yes Mo might be off his best form, but we are also not breaking pressing lines with passes that find him and even when he makes those runs and succeeds at peeling off the men guarding him, he is not found with accurate passes and most of the time he isn't even seen by players like Diaz, our LB and our midfielders. Quite simply, if Mo is currently the ''dull'' head of the spear, the spear itself is quite frankly made out of rotten wood. With that in mind, it makes sense to see him reacting to that by staying wider in order to escape the constant 2 or 3 men marking he is under in order to have the ball at his feet a bit longer and hopefully create something for his teammates. I would argue this is going quite well on his side from what I've seen, but it brings us back to a point I mention above which is that Diaz, and to a certain extent Bobby, are not making those diagonal penetrative runs that Mane used to make. I would argue that if Mane was still with us and Mo was playing this wide, Mane would have 3 or 4 goals by now, all assisted or created by Mo. I'm not saying there is no solutions, we have bought a 80m center-forward who happens to be big, quick, agile ,strong, and can jump quite high. This gives us tactical options. We can tweak the way we play and create to take advantage of that which will subsequently release some of the pressure the wingers are under, especially Mo. We can also wait for Thiago to come back and hope he re-injects that needed penetration down the middle. We can also look forward to Arthur settling into the team and hopefully giving us a bit of those line breaking passes we need so much.

ps: sorry for the long post, but I believe it was required in order to give my full point of view on a matter that, I think, is quite frankly more complicated than ''Mo suddenly stopped performing'' especially when the team, as a whole, is given an analytical look.

Quick Reply