Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 567594 times
      RedWilly, shabbadoo and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)
      Reply #5336: Feb 05, 2023 02:17:40 pm
      Sorry but Salah has been just as much of a problem as anyone else. People go on about the chances Nunez has missed but Salah has been every bit as bad. Salah canā€™t even beat his man anymore, the only time he looks arsed is when heā€™s appealing for a penalty.
      I agree with you, but with that said is it even worth singling out any of the players anymore? If we all agree that the whole team is playing like absolute sh*t and that no one is helping any of his teammates then maybe we should stop singling out players because its just paradoxal.

I'm at a point where I'm questioning my Fabinho criticism because even he needs help in the role he plays let alone forwards who are completely depended on the space you create for them, the creativity you offer them and what you feed them. We lost the thread of who is not helping who because nobody is helping anybody in this team apart from poor Alisson.

I understand that he's the star man and so he naturally gets the brunt of the criticism when its all bad, but from a football point of view I have to ask the question. Are we seeing Mo be a bad forward or somehow the weak link in a team that is performing week in week out or is he just part of that shipwreck of a team? If we want to analyze this on an individual basis then the stats certainly describe him as our best forward still despite the horrific season and even from watching the games, the only one that comes close to scoring is still him. Sure we could focus on him losing the ball, but he was never that type of winger to start with. 90% of Mo's job is without the ball which directly translate to him being depended on what his teammates around him do while he doesn't have it. What are they doing while he's making his runs? We are at a point where the man doesn't even need to make runs anymore because we don't even get the ball in positions for him to even attempt those runs. Go back and watch the games. Completely isolated him and the two other forwards.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5337: Feb 05, 2023 02:18:35 pm
      I don't often have some sympathy with FSG, but if I was them, paying Mo 350,000 a week, I'd be pissed.
      If Diaz/Jota/Bob are fit, they start ahead of him.
      Even Doak I'd have started ahead of Mo against Wolves.
      Will probably get another start though against Everton.
      For me, he needs to be dropped, maybe that'll get the hunger back.
      It's not all his fault, he doesn't have the midfield platform he once did, and there is no understanding or link up with Nunez and the a-n-other.
      In saying that though, he can't hit a barn door, and there's no intensity to his play [even say compared to loose cannon Nunez]
      Maybe when Diaz/Jota/Bob come back, he'll feed off them, and return to some form.
      Certainly not transfer listing him just yet.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 774 
      Reply #5338: Feb 05, 2023 02:33:34 pm
      If you're going to demand a massive fee, then you have to back that up with goals....lots of them ...no excuses
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #5339: Feb 05, 2023 02:42:44 pm
      If you're going to demand a massive fee, then you have to back that up with goals....lots of them ...no excuses

Itā€™s an excuse when he isnā€™t getting the chances he did before ?

Itā€™s an excuse he has nobody to support him ?

Itā€™s an excuse stating he is now creating more chances for his team mates as they canā€™t do it themselves ?

Football fans these days

Salah needs chances created for him like he has done for other, had he gotten that, he would score, if we donā€™t create for him, we donā€™t score

We are reliant on him as our other strikers canā€™t score much

Like I said Hal and Toney who everyone is raving about this year have missed more or the same as salah and get twice as many chances as him per game
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2023 03:10:36 pm by KeepTheFaith »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5340: Feb 05, 2023 03:09:58 pm
      Time to earn your big wageā€¦..now
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #5341: Feb 05, 2023 03:15:41 pm
      Lets just let our imagination run wild for a second here and say, hypothetically, if we could press on a button and exchange Salah for Haaland. Salah packs his bag and goes immediately to play for City and Haaland does the same for us. In the current state we are in, do you think Haaland will score goals for us? Same question for City. And what do you reckon would be the tally of both men after 10 games or so? We can also fix the comparison to another RW if you prefer. If you don't like City for that hypothetical situation we can say Saka and Arsenal or any other team really.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 774 
      Reply #5342: Feb 05, 2023 03:26:21 pm
      Lets just let our imagination run wild for a second here and say, hypothetically, if we could press on a button and exchange Salah for Haaland. Salah packs his bag and goes immediately to play for City and Haaland does the same for us. In the current state we are in, do you think Haaland will score goals for us? Same question for City. And what do you reckon would be the tally of both men after 10 games or so? We can also fix the comparison to another RW if you prefer. If you don't like City for that hypothetical situation we can say Saka and Arsenal or any other team really.
      I don't mean to be dismissive, but I'm not overly interested in what happens on planet football...here in the real world both players you mention at least play as if they give a sh*t.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #5343: Feb 05, 2023 03:28:51 pm
      You donā€™t seem to understand the game
      Of football

All strikers would struggle as they donā€™t get many chances at Liverpool in salahs position

Youā€™re doing caveman talk

Big money so score

Forget the context

Score

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 774 
      Reply #5344: Feb 05, 2023 03:29:10 pm
      Itā€™s an excuse when he isnā€™t getting the chances he did before ?

Itā€™s an excuse he has nobody to support him ?

Itā€™s an excuse stating he is now creating more chances for his team mates as they canā€™t do it themselves ?

Football fans these days

Salah needs chances created for him like he has done for other, had he gotten that, he would score, if we donā€™t create for him, we donā€™t score

We are reliant on him as our other strikers canā€™t score much

Like I said Hal and Toney who everyone is raving about this year have missed more or the same as salah and get twice as many chances as him per game
      There's no currency in missing more. His efforts yesterday were.....Let's say...... Tame
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #5345: Feb 05, 2023 03:30:00 pm
      Time to earn your big wageā€¦..now

What would you like for him to do ?

He isnā€™t getting many chances form team mates so cannot score that much

He creates a lot as shown by the stats but the team mates miss

So tell me ? What do you people want ?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 774 
      Reply #5346: Feb 05, 2023 03:33:30 pm
      Of football

All strikers would struggle as they donā€™t get many chances at Liverpool in salahs position

Big money so score

Forget the context

Score
      I beg to differ, I think I have a fairly decent understanding of football, I'd suggest at least equal to your's. You have an opinion I don't share....the end.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #5347: Feb 05, 2023 03:34:34 pm
      I beg to differ, I think I have a fairly decent understanding of football, I'd suggest at least equal to your's. You have an opinion I don't share....the end.

Ignore the facts and type what I want

Right

Guess you canā€™t answer the question

Heā€™s creating the chances isnā€™t he ? So you canā€™t ask for more

Heā€™s
      Missing the same as haaland and co and is getting far less chances

We have 10 problems and salah isnā€™t one of them

One is the anti salah brigade who want him out

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #5348: Feb 05, 2023 03:38:57 pm
      Of football

Big money so score

Forget the context

Score

You're also forgetting his first touch is awful, so when he tries to bring a ball down he struggles as defenders crowd him out and manage to recover the ball from his poor first touch or attempt to trap the ball.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 774 
      Reply #5349: Feb 05, 2023 03:43:44 pm

Right

Heā€™s

Listen, I'm not interested in being drawn into a confrontation about Mo Salah. You have a different opinion to me, accept it and move on.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #5350: Feb 05, 2023 03:48:10 pm
      I don't mean to be dismissive, but I'm not overly interested in what happens on planet football...here in the real world both players you mention at least play as if they give a sh*t.
      I'm not really sure I understand how one  second planet football is not the real world and you're not interested in it and the other it seems to be part of it and you're interested enough to assess the level of sh*t those players are giving or not.

Are we talking about the same real world where forwards need support to score goals? Just making sure we're speaking of the same real world where variables outside of your control have an influence on what you're doing because you seem to think he either score goals irregardless of the reality of the team around him or he's not giving a sh*t. I mean sure, he's not giving a sh*t. Where are the Gakpo, Nunez and other forwards goals? I mean they are giving a sh*t aren't they?

If you want to bypass logic and facts to support your opinion then sure, be dismissive and categorize stuff as ''real world'' and other as ''planet football'' (that's also known as only looking at the facts that support your opinion). I on the other hand prefer to have a more balanced approach. Yes he is playing like sh*t, the energy levels displayed are not up to par, but at the same time, nothing around him is helping him do his job of scoring goals and nothing will change for him, or any of the other forwards, unless we fix our game as a team first instead of sitting here waiting for them to score 2 or 3 goals every game,to dig us out the grave we dug ourselves in, with absolutely no support at all. 

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #5351: Feb 05, 2023 03:51:35 pm

You're also forgetting his first touch is awful, so when he tries to bring a ball down he struggles as defenders crowd him out and manage to recover the ball from his poor first touch or attempt to trap the ball.

If his first touch was exceptional, he would probably be the best on the planet

He does have weaknesses. I am not denying that, I personally believed mane was and is better and I said that always in the past

But this is about everyone vilifying him when heā€™s doing his part this year, Iā€™m not saying he has been exception but he hasnā€™t been bad or average, the numbers back that up

Heā€™s still creating chances, the team is now missing them

Heā€™s still running as his distances shows that, his diagonal runs have stopped as he is being played different this year

In the last 4 premier league games he has had 5 shots

Heā€™s created 4 goal scoring chances for team mates

5 shots ? His team mates have possible only provided him the chance to shoot 5 times ! And maybe even that he created some on his own

Just think about it

Look at the other players up front not salah, heā€™s doing his part
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5352: Feb 05, 2023 04:06:44 pm

Right

Heā€™s

Salah has a shot conversion rate of 7.9%. In contrast Haaland has a conversion rate of 25.8% and Ivan Toney a conversion rate of 16.8%.

You keep saying what if Salah had the amount of chances Haaland and Toney get - well  considering Salah already has a considerably lower conversion rate from as you say, ā€œfar less chancesā€, I donā€™t think it would be looking good for him if he had the amount of chances Haaland has.

The higher the number of chances you have, the smaller the conversion rate should get because itā€™s impossible to score every chance you get.

A 7.9 conversion rate is shocking in all honesty for a player of Salahā€™s calibre given you keep saying how he isnā€™t getting the chances.

So you can dress it up all you want about Salah not being a problem but as you keep going on about facts, the facts show that he is just as much of a problem as every other outfield player.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #5353: Feb 05, 2023 04:08:25 pm
      Salah has a shot conversion rate of 7.9%. In contrast Haaland has a conversion rate of 25.8% and Ivan Toney a conversion rate of 16.8%.

You keep saying what if Salah had the amount of chances Haaland and Toney get - well  considering Salah already has a considerably lower conversion rate from as you say, ā€œfar less chancesā€, I donā€™t think it would be looking good for him if he had the amount of chances Haaland has.

The higher the number of chances you have, the smaller the conversion rate should get because itā€™s impossible to score every chance you get.

A 7.9 conversion rate is shocking in all honesty for a player of Salahā€™s calibre given you keep saying how he isnā€™t getting the chances.

So you can dress it up all you want about Salah not being a problem but as you keep going in about facts, the facts show that he is just as much of a problem as every other outfield player.

Would he score more if he gets more chances ?

Heā€™s had 5 shots in the last 4 games, have a think about it

The last four league games, we lost 3 and drew 1

Heā€™s had 5 shots

This is our worst period currently and heā€™s been given very little

If he had the same chances his conversion rate would increase

Support our players instead of jumping on a bad wagon

Look at what heā€™s creating for team mates, if he had the same support then it would be different

Like I said heā€™s a 7 out of 10 this year, salah isnā€™t the problem, yes his chances missed will go up and so on but right now heā€™s not being given enough, for strikers to play into form, they need chances

Even going by the same stats,
      Had we been more clinical, salah would top the assists which would not make him a problem as you all are making him out to be, one could argue heā€™s given a free role as such so should be creating those chances but the other two forwards are doing little

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2023 04:14:02 pm by KeepTheFaith »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5354: Feb 05, 2023 04:09:54 pm
      Would he score more if he gets more chances ?

Thatā€™s an embarrassment of a reply - you go on about facts, I provide you with facts and then you ignore them and give me this one line reply.
       Would Haaland score more, would Toney Score more? You canā€™t apply a scenario to one player but not the others you are intent on comparing him with.

Not to mention the more chances he gets, the worse his conversion rate is going to get and thatā€™s a fact.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #5355: Feb 05, 2023 04:47:28 pm
      Thatā€™s an embarrassment of a reply - you go on about facts, I provide you with facts and then you ignore them and give me this one line reply.
       Would Haaland score more, would Toney Score more? You canā€™t apply a scenario to one player but not the others you are intent on comparing him with.

Not to mention the more chances he gets, the worse his conversion rate is going to get and thatā€™s a fact.

How did I ignore them

Are you struggling to read ?

I said the more chances he gets

The more he will miss naturally however his conversion will improve too, so yes his chances miss will go higher but as will his conversion

Do you need help in being read this again ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5356: Feb 05, 2023 04:57:31 pm
      How did I ignore them

Are you struggling to read ?

I said the more chances he gets

The more he will miss naturally however his conversion will improve too, so yes his chances miss will go higher but as will his conversion

Do you need help in being read this again ?

You can cut that sh*t out you snide little blert, you know full well youā€™ve gone back and edited your post to add the rest after I had already replied to you.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #5357: Feb 05, 2023 05:26:05 pm
      He is just off form and lacking confidence right now , just seems to be playing safe and within himself , afraid to take on players

I have no doubt that he will find that form again
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #5358: Feb 05, 2023 05:48:17 pm

So you can dress it up all you want about Salah not being a problem but as you keep going on about facts, the facts show that he is just as much of a problem as every other outfield player.
      Out of curiosity, does shot conversion stats also tell us where those shots are taken from or what's the context of the shots taken (basically the quality of the chance)? Because right now it sounds like when someone makes a comparison to put the man down its okay, but comparisons as to the support he gets and the situations he gets put in are unacceptable.

Pretty sure if we take into account the quality of the chance given to the player (basically XG) into account, Mo is still top 5 or 6 in this league despite playing for one of the worst teams in it at the moment (relegation form if not Championship mid-table level this).

So yeah, if we are going to compare Toney and Haaland to Salah then you compare the situation of the teams they play in and the chances created for them or you just dont at all. What you're telling us is you don't wan others to say that Haaland is actually put in a position to score goals and would be much less effective without that, but you turn around and do the comparison another way with just enough context to fit the ''Salah is sh*t'' narrative. A narrative which btw I am not saying is untrue, just trying to put some context around it considering he plays for an absolutely sh*t club at the moment.

Quick Reply