Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 31st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

News Stories (July 2017)

Read 651 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Re: News Stories (July 2017)
      Reply #25: Jul 10, 2017 06:36:52 pm
      A Muslim radio station broadcast lectures by an Al Qaeda terror leader calling for holy war.

Iman FM transmitted 25 hours of sermons from Anwar Al-Awlaki, a hate preacher killed by a US drone strike in 2011.

A complaint was made to Ofcom, which has suspended the Sheffield-based station's licence.

The watchdog said the material 'amounted to a direct call to action to members of the Muslim community to prepare for and carry out violent action against non-Muslim people'.

Bosses at Iman FM have 21 days to explain themselves or be closed down. They found the extremist lectures on YouTube and broadcast them during Ramadan.

Ofcom said Al-Awlaki, who was an American Muslim cleric of Yemeni descent, was an Al Qaeda leader, recruiter and trainer.

He is said to have inspired the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris, an attempt to blow up an American airliner and the massacre of 13 people at Fort Hood in Texas.

The lectures were broadcast in English on June 14. In one, Al-Awlaki said: 'Prepare whatever strength you have for holy war in the cause of Allah. This is a form of worship.'

Under broadcasting rules hate speech must not be included in TV or radio programmes except where justified by context.

Iman FM claimed to be unaware of the preacher's background and said not all the material was checked before being aired.

The Ofcom ruling described this defence as 'not credible'.

Mohammad Mughal, the station's chief executive, said: 'This is very, very sad because none of us had any idea this lecture was preaching hatred.

'We are not just a Muslim radio station – we regularly feature Christian presenters.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4676424/Muslim-FM-radio-station-broadcast-25-hours-hate-speech.html

25 hours and it's claimed a mistake.  :lmao:

"not credible"
      Why is this an Ofcom issue and not a Police issue? I thought Teresa May was going to get tough on this sort of thing? The only thing she is getting tough on is driving the Tories into a black hole.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,379 posts | 2163 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26: Jul 10, 2017 06:39:43 pm
      Why is this an Ofcom issue and not a Police issue? I thought Teresa May was going to get tough on this sort of thing? The only thing she is getting tough on is driving the Tories into a black hole.

Sounds better than listening to nick f**king grimshaw
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Reply #27: Jul 11, 2017 12:35:25 pm
      Any chance of Michael hayes being prosecuted for his part in the Birmingham pub bombings, if you are prepared to prosecute british soldiers for their crimesvwhat about this c**t, or is too politically awkward

Just blame Blair, supposedly responsible for the world recession, ISIS, helping the IRA, shielding  IRA murderers and flirting with the Tories.
      No great fan of his but the way he is scapegoated and used as a get out of jail card by the obvious culprits is unbelievable.

Even more incredible  is that elements from both sides of the political divide use the Blair aphrodisiac in an attempt to obfuscate  and spread their own brand of bollox.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,379 posts | 2163 
      Reply #28: Jul 11, 2017 12:38:30 pm
      Just blame Blair, supposedly responsible for the world recession, ISIS, helping the IRA, shielding  IRA murderers and flirting with the Tories.
      No great fan of his but the way he is scapegoated and used as a get out of jail card by the obvious culprits is unbelievable.

Even more incredible  is that elements from both sides of the political divide use the Blair aphrodisiac in an attempt to obfuscate  and spread their own brand of bollox.

And how even the labour party have tried to airbrush him out of history
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,859 posts | 2284 
      Reply #29: Jul 11, 2017 01:38:02 pm
      Because they are not a typical Communist regime. I dont know if you could even call them "Communist" by definition.  Its more of a Personality Cult with a religious tone. The Kim dynasty is religion. The Kims are Leader, Pope, King and Divine Being all in one. When the regime ends, It will take 3 or 4 generations before N.Korea is a member of this world both physically and mentally. The unreal sh*t, N.Koreans believe is amazing. Here are some things that the people of NK believe to be true.

-While excavating an area in Pyongyang next to the Kim residence, North Korean scientists found an ancient UNICORN LAIR!!!! They realized what it was when they found a sign buried by the entrance that said "Unicorn Lair".....F**kin' UNICORNS. I swear i did not make that up. Is NK made up of 7 yr old girls? UNICORNS? Holy Sh*t.

-The US started the Korean war, the US lost and China did not help the North...  All false.

- Kim Jong Il was the greatest Golfer ever. He wasnt allowed to play in the PGA because he was too good. He only played golf once and shot a 38 under par on a PGA course. Getting 11 Hole in Ones... I dont even know where to begin but obviously bullshit.

-The Kims were born under a rainbow and all the Doves in Korea took flight to bring them to Earth and a new star appeared in space....Uh, what?

-He is the most beloved musician and composer on Earth and has more #1 hits than the Beatles or any other artist...

-Kim Jong Il was walking at 3 weeks old and could talk, read and write at 8 weeks. He wrote 1500 books in 3 years and the whole world considers him the greatest author ever and his books are all #1 sellers....just f**k off, Kim.

This is my absolute favorite. No wonder hes a fat, little toad.

-He doesnt Sh*t...The Kims have never had to sh*t or use a toilet... North Koreans really cant be that f***in' stupid?

I didnt even get into Kim Jong Uns ability to "Steal TIME". Yup, he stole time. Kim Jong Un has a f***in' TARDIS. F**kin' hell.

He just ordered all the official government clocks to be put back 30 min. Then claimed he stole the time from the Japanese. GENIUS!

That is the mentality of the People of NK. They have lived with nonstop, 24/7 propaganda and gospel of the Kim il Sung dynasty. Its like the Kardashians except Kim doesnt feed her family to starving dogs. Although, I haven't seen that fat brother lately so who knows.

Of course they don't believe this bollocks but when asked by a man with a clipboard and a machine gun of course they say yes to all of this. I actually think NK could topple very very easily, all you have to do is assassinate the leader, as far as I know he doesn't have any heirs does he?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Reply #30: Jul 11, 2017 01:51:44 pm
      And how even the labour party have tried to airbrush him out of history

His ''history'' is again a source of misdirection and half-truth, take any of the blame creations and there are a plethora of other players involved in the construction of the tale.

The other parties are only too willing to side-step and if not contribute to the story maintain a discrete silence, Blair could not have constructed the f**k ups himself, they were for the most part internationally created and deeply rooted issues that still are unresolved.

The history is Blair was in office for three terms as PM, the first two were successful while in the third global issues, which still prevail and prove insurmountable to the present Tory government, were Blair's undoing.

Blair is no more than a convenient scapegoat.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,476 posts | 2785 
      Reply #31: Jul 11, 2017 06:16:27 pm
      Absolutely astounding that people still seek to excuse Blair from his misdeeds, given that he resisted another HIllsborough inquiry as a favour to Rupert f**king Murdoch.

Shameful.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #32: Jul 12, 2017 01:27:23 am
      Of course they don't believe this bollocks but when asked by a man with a clipboard and a machine gun of course they say yes to all of this. I actually think NK could topple very very easily, all you have to do is assassinate the leader, as far as I know he doesn't have any heirs does he?

I think he has an aunt who is a close advisor and it has been intimated that she is next in line. However, some reports have come out that the purge of his fathers advisors were ordered by her. So it seems she already has some power. She seems to be one crazy ass bi*ch.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,859 posts | 2284 
      Reply #33: Jul 12, 2017 11:45:11 am
      I think he has an aunt who is a close advisor and it has been intimated that she is next in line. However, some reports have come out that the purge of his fathers advisors were ordered by her. So it seems she already has some power. She seems to be one crazy ass bi*ch.

F**k it take both of them out then, seriously it must be possible to do, just put down a £50 million contract on the black market for any assassin to take them out, or have I been watching to many films ;-)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #34: Jul 12, 2017 03:14:38 pm
      F**k it take both of them out then, seriously it must be possible to do, just put down a £50 million contract on the black market for any assassin to take them out, or have I been watching to many films ;-)

Send in John Wick.
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,075 posts | 387 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #37: Jul 14, 2017 11:25:52 am
      Excellent article

Brexit: A view from Germany

Dr Markus Krall is a managing director in Goetzpartners’ Frankfurt office and heads the Financial Institutions Industry Group.

‘This is not about punishing Great Britain,’ declared Sigmar Gabriel, Germany’s interim foreign secretary, on his recent visit to London. I fell about laughing, because this is precisely what’s going on. It is as obvious to us Germans as it is to the Brits: the EU cannot tolerate the thought of a successful United Kingdom outside the Brussels sphere of influence because, if that were allowed to happen, others might dare to start thinking about leaving the club too.

Everything we hear from Brussels flows from this. The EU presents itself as a champion of free trade, especially when its leaders are attacking Donald Trump, yet it does all it can to slow down, complicate and generally frustrate a free trade deal with the UK, the world’s fifth-largest economy. It talks as if keeping open borders with Britain is a great gift from the EU, rather than, of course, an arrangement of mutual benefit to consumers of all countries. Would the EU dare to enter trade negotiations in Washington, Tokyo or Beijing and demand payments for allowing access to EU markets? Why does it take this approach with Britain?

In Britain, it might seem that the EU embodies the mood of Europe — miffed at Brexit and determined to take a tough line. Don’t be fooled. The EU is unpopular in so much of Europe precisely because it does not speak for the people it purports to represent. The idea of a €100 billion ‘leaving bill’ seems as extortionate in Berlin as it does in Birmingham: why would Britain want to carry on making huge financial transfers to Brussels when these were one of the main reasons for wanting to leave? Quite apart from anything else, a British government which agreed to such an outrageous bill would surely be neglecting its fiduciary duties to its people.

‘The four freedoms of the common market are indivisible,’ the EU grandly declares — but this is self-evident nonsense. Do we seriously believe there can be no free trade in goods without also accepting the right of migrants, of varying levels of skills, to settle in one’s country and gain access to welfare? No free trade deal that the EU has negotiated with other countries makes any such demand — and for good reason: no country would entertain it. The assertion is preposterous, as the British voters calmly declared on 23 June last year.

Michel Barnier and his team try so hard to present the argument that the UK needs the EU more than vice versa. It is an arrogance which flies in the face of the evidence: that the rest of the EU runs a €120 billion-a-year trade surplus with Britain and that three times as many EU workers are resident in Britain than British workers are resident in the EU. Why would the EU want to put this at risk? Because being seen to punish Britain is a bigger priority than maintaining the health of your export industries.

Then comes the warning that making a Brexit deal with Britain will be difficult because it will involve the renegotiation of 30,000 regulations — working out at an impossible rate of 40 per day for the two-year duration of the Brexit talks. Barnier’s team seems not to appreciate that in trying to put across this point it is making an involuntary confession that the EU has flooded the continent with so many regulations, laws, executive orders and decrees that it has become impossible to comply with the law. As Winston Churchill said: ‘If you have 10,000 regulations, you destroy all respect for the law.’ Jean-Claude Juncker’s minions have exceeded this total by a factor of three.

This is one of the reasons that the EU has made itself so unpopular and why some want to leave. But the EU in its arrogance can’t see it. There is an efficient shortcut to the Brexit negotiations: do not negotiate every single paragraph of each and every regulation, but abolish them in large numbers, on both sides of the Channel.

The EU’s negotiators are approaching the Brexit talks like a game of chicken. As far as they are concerned, the one who first blinks will lose. The enemies in this game are not just the insubordinate secessionist rebels in London, but all countries and political forces toying with the thought of following their example — or even just those who dare to remind the EU of the principle of subsidiarity: the idea that nation states are, where possible, supposed to govern themselves.

Theresa May insists that she wants friendship, cooperation and alignment with Europe to the advantage of both sides. She comes across as genuine when she says, ‘We want to continue being Europe’s best friends.’ And this, of course, is dangerous: if European nations can be friends and trade freely without the need to accept edicts from Brussels, then what’s the power of Brussels? Why put up with Juncker, Barnier and friends? When Boris Johnson warned the EU against seeking to administer ‘punishment beatings’ to Britain as if in ‘some world war two movie’ the EU reacted with fury — because there was so much truth in the Foreign Secretary’s analysis.

The EU is taking a risk, here. It is treating the Brexit talks as an opportunity to show other EU member states what happens to those who dare to leave. Might it frighten countries into staying, or heighten concerns about what it is becoming? The negotiators on the EU side of the table interpret the Prime Minister’s friendliness as weakness and start to express ever more impossible demands while using every opportunity to speak of ‘Britain’s historic mistake’.

To a great many of Britain’s friends, looking in from abroad, Brexit doesn’t look like a mistake. Instead, Britain looks like a country that has dared not to accept the unacceptable, and in doing so it poses a question to its European neighbours. What do we want to be? A prison of peoples keeping its inmates inside by threat of sanctions? Or a community of free peoples binding its members through an attractive proposition and renewing this promise every day with democratic governance, transparency, performance and fairness? On the continent, we behave as if option two is not possible. But if we continue to act like this, then there might be no one left in the club.

Why I disagree with the principle of this European 'concept'.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38: Jul 15, 2017 01:11:35 am
      Malta which I believe is a mostly catholic country has followed Ireland and voted to allow same sex marriages against the wishes of the church.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/catholic-malta-legalizes-gay-marriage-church-objection-48583318

Homosexuality is going the same way as adultery, fornication, masturbation and shopping on Sundays. Damn those secular devils.  :P

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #39: Jul 16, 2017 11:30:22 am
      John McDonnell has backtracked on Jeremy Corbyn’s pledge to pay off some historic student debt – downgrading it to an “ambition” for Labour.

At the general election, the Labour leader fuelled a huge surge in support among young people by promising help for students stuck with enormous debts from tuition fees.

Pledging to axe fees in future, he told NME magazine: “I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after.

"I will deal with it.”

But Mr McDonnell, the Shadow Chancellor, has now acknowledged the expected bill – around £100bn – is “a lot of money”.

He told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show: “We will look at what we can do”.

Mr McDonnell added: “We are going to try to, it’s real ambition of ours – I don’t want to promise something we can’t deliver.”

Last week, the Shadow Education Secretary, Angela Rayner, said it was Labour's "ambition" to write off all student debt.

However, she also admitted it was a "huge amount" and said the party would not commit to doing so "unless we can afford to".

While Labour pledged to scrap university tuition fees in its manifesto, Mr Corbyn went further by suggesting existing debts could be wiped from the books.

The Greens were the only party to include a similar commitment in their manifesto.

U-turn on a bribe.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #40: Jul 16, 2017 11:33:39 am
      Chancellor Philip Hammond all-but admits saying public sector workers are 'overpaid'
      'It is a simple fact that public sector workers on average are paid about 10 per cent more than private sector workers.
      '

Philip Hammond has all-but admitted saying public sector workers were "overpaid".

The Chancellor said it was "a simple fact" that wages for employees of the UK's public services earned about 10 per cent more than private sector staff when "very generous" pensions contributions were taken into account.

Mr Hammond was grilled by the BBC's Andrew Marr over comments he reportedly made during a Cabinet meeting this week.

He caused "astonishment" by describing public sector workers as overpaid, according to The Sunday Times.

The Treasury initially denied he had made the comments, but when challenged on what he had said, the Chancellor pointedly - and repeatedly - declined to deny them on the Andrew Marr Show on Sunday morning.

"I'm not going to talk about what was or wasn't said in a Cabinet meeting and it's easy to quote a phrase out of context," he said.

But he added: "Public sector pay raced ahead of private sector pay after the crash in 2008-09. Taking public sector pay before pension contributions, that gap has now closed - public and private sector pay on average are around and about the same level.

"But when you take into account the very generous contributions that public sector employers have to pay in for their workers' pensions - their very generous pensions - they are still about 10 per cent ahead."

Asked directly whether he felt public sector workers were overpaid, Mr Hammond said: "This is a relative question; this is about the relationship between public and private sector pay.

"It is a simple fact - independent figures show this - that public sector workers on average are paid about 10 per cent more than private sector workers."

The Treasury had earlier denied that Mr Hammond made the remarks during Tuesday's Cabinet meeting.

A spokesman said: "The Chancellor was describing the public sector pension premium. He did not say that public sector workers were overpaid."
      http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chancellor-philip-hammond-all-but-admits-public-sector-workers-overpaid-a7843461.html

Ouch.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,379 posts | 2163 
      Reply #41: Jul 16, 2017 11:51:49 am
      Malta which I believe is a mostly catholic country has followed Ireland and voted to allow same sex marriages against the wishes of the church.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/catholic-malta-legalizes-gay-marriage-church-objection-48583318

Homosexuality is going the same way as adultery, fornication, masturbation and shopping on Sundays. Damn those secular devils.  :P

That's a hectic sunday
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #42: Jul 16, 2017 01:49:21 pm
      Absolutely astounding that people still seek to excuse Blair from his misdeeds, given that he resisted another HIllsborough inquiry as a favour to Rupert f**king Murdoch.

Shameful.
      Blair is doing everything he can to stop Corbyn getting in, since Corbyn wants to do something about it.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 24,373 posts | 3273 
      Reply #43: Jul 16, 2017 02:32:58 pm
      Blair is doing everything he can to stop Corbyn getting in, since Corbyn wants to do something about it.

Blair has an agenda, Stop Corbyn at all cost...

Reason..

Corbyn has been on record that he will investigate Blair over Iraq.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 24,373 posts | 3273 
      Reply #44: Jul 16, 2017 03:07:40 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,379 posts | 2163 
      Reply #45: Jul 16, 2017 03:19:39 pm
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,900 posts | 2223 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,516 posts | 4346 
      Reply #47: Jul 27, 2017 07:11:18 pm
      Grenfell Tower: Corporate manslaughter considered by police

Police investigating the Grenfell Tower fire say they have "reasonable grounds" to suspect that corporate manslaughter offences may have been committed.

The council and tenant management organisation which ran the London tower block have both been told there are grounds to suspect they may have committed the offence.

It emerged in a letter from the Met Police to residents of the block.

At least 80 people died in the fire in North Kensington on 14 June.

The relevant section of the letter says Met Police officers have "seized a huge amount of material and taken a large number of witness statements".

"After an initial assessment of that information, the officer leading the investigation has today notified the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and the Kensington and Chelsea Tenancy Management Organisation that there are reasonable grounds to suspect that each organisation may have committed the offence of corporate manslaughter under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007," it added.

The Met Police also released a statement on Thursday, stating that its investigation into the cause and spread of the fire was a "complex and far reaching investigation that by its very nature will take a considerable time to complete".

"The Met has made a commitment to the families who lost loved ones in the fire and survivors that they will be kept updated, as far as we possibly can, as the investigation continues."

BBC home affairs correspondent Tom Symonds says Met Police have briefed a number of times that corporate manslaughter is a possible offence being considered as part of their investigation, along with breaches of health and safety laws.

In the case of corporate manslaughter, this is an offence which can only be committed by a corporation - not an individual, therefore no-one can be arrested in this instance.

The effect of what the police have said is to put both organisations on notice that their senior executives are likely to be questioned under caution in relation to the fire. This means that evidence can be used against both bodies in a court, our correspondent added.

The news comes after site manager at the tower block, Michael Lockwood, told a public meeting on Wednesday that the building would be covered in August.

He said that he expected the demolition of the tower block would begin "towards the end of 2018".

Some possessions could be retrieved from 33 of the block's flats, he added.

And a Newsnight investigation has shown that an official test of the types of materials used at Grenfell Tower suggest that designs such as that used in the tower's cladding are fundamentally flawed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40747241
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 24,373 posts | 3273 
      Reply #49: Jul 29, 2017 12:25:44 am
      ^^^

Used to live in Dalston by the Rio cinema..

Quick Reply