Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Our current owners and transfer committee

Read 30173 times
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Re: Our current owners and transfer committee
      Reply #138: Jul 09, 2017 09:58:51 am
      Another good post. Just wanted to highlight this bit, unfortunately those same people who don't want others to critique our transfer operations WILL NOT be the first to complain. They are so entrenched in their view they will continue to make excuses ad nauseam. They haven't learned anything in seven years. I know, because I used to be one of them who afforded our owners/committee the benefit of the doubt, and called for patience - like Klopp is doing now.

There are none so blind as those who cannot see. I soon realised that the constant dicking around in the window's, or lack of  became habitual. If we're not wasting good money on computer analysed data-based bean counted players, then we're f**king around on the manager's own targets. Happened under Rodgers and it's happening now under Klopp. I mean, the fiasco of VVD was put down as a "storm in a tea cup", but someone. That insouciance is an act to calm what is rightly a monumental show of unprofessional incompetence. A target. A priority. Early on. Big fee. Cocked right up. That's more than a storm in a tea cup and that is frankly not even an excuse worthy of rebuttal.

How many times has it been said down the years "next summer will be the tester", it was said last season when we made the CL under Klopp. It was over to FSG now to keep their end of the bargain up and deliver for the manager and team. We're fast becoming a parody of ourselves, except it's not 'we're gonna win the league next year' anymore, it's 'we're gonna need a good window to kick on now', every f**king window we say this as though it's more important than the football itself. And it is, because if you don't value add quality to your team year on year, you end up what half these bells do, constantly making excuses for this club's poor fortunes.

People will say, wait until the window closes, and their circular logic will start again in the next window, it's the same old sh*t excuses - ad nauseam. You won't wake these people out of their slumber grooveshark, let them carry on in their flippant indifference to our very chequed transfer history. If making FSG look better than they are is where it's at for them, so be it.
      My main worry is this, that as a team, the framework to get needed to get success is not there.

We are looking for a young striker, but Real Madrid being exorbitant with the fee on a player who does not start for them. Why not move for Lukaku and get a player in early and see how it works in pre season? That is what United did.

We really like Mbappe, but he might stay, he might move elsewhere. Wenger has gone to France and a record fee has been put forward; all that could be done, has been done. However, having all your chips in one basket does not make sense, so let us get Lacazette in and insure ourselves from any potential inactivity on that end, and let us do it quick because quality strikers who are available are such a rare occurrence. We really want Lemar, the player is not against joining but Monaco may not want to sell. If he does not join, we have a deal of Mahrez in the pipeline. None of the dithering that has seen us fumble through transfer windows.

We would love to get Alexis Sanchez, but Arsenal might dig their heels in and decide they do not want to sell to a Premier League team. Let us get an attacker who can play as a number 10, or as a playmaker wide-ish right. He will get us some goals, but will create countless chances, and in Aguero and Gabriel Jesus we have finishers who also fit how we want to play. Bernado Silva long term we see as a replacement to David Silva, but currently, an upgrade to Nolito, and the departed Jesus Navas. Ederson we hope will be a solution at GK for the long term.

We need a CB. The asking price for Van Dijk is extortionate, why not agree a fee with Roma for Rudiger as we get rid of Ake in the process? Why not sell the backup keeper and get a really good GK in for nothing then work or that striker, midfielder and wingback? By the way, the thing I love about Chelsea is how they can move for a player and a deal gets done in moments; they are the best team at doing that in the Premier League, and do not feel the need to leak.

These are my worries, that there are those who think that they can be more clever than anyone else in the transfer market. Look at some of the names that were being given as options to Salah, they did not inspire confidence, and who knows what the options to Van Dijk and Naby Keita are?

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #139: Jul 09, 2017 11:27:42 am
      My main worry is this, that as a team, the framework to get needed to get success is not there.

We are looking for a young striker, but Real Madrid being exorbitant with the fee on a player who does not start for them. Why not move for Lukaku and get a player in early and see how it works in pre season? That is what United did.

We really like Mbappe, but he might stay, he might move elsewhere. Wenger has gone to France and a record fee has been put forward; all that could be done, has been done. However, having all your chips in one basket does not make sense, so let us get Lacazette in and insure ourselves from any potential inactivity on that end, and let us do it quick because quality strikers who are available are such a rare occurrence. We really want Lemar, the player is not against joining but Monaco may not want to sell. If he does not join, we have a deal of Mahrez in the pipeline. None of the dithering that has seen us fumble through transfer windows.

We would love to get Alexis Sanchez, but Arsenal might dig their heels in and decide they do not want to sell to a Premier League team. Let us get an attacker who can play as a number 10, or as a playmaker wide-ish right. He will get us some goals, but will create countless chances, and in Aguero and Gabriel Jesus we have finishers who also fit how we want to play. Bernado Silva long term we see as a replacement to David Silva, but currently, an upgrade to Nolito, and the departed Jesus Navas. Ederson we hope will be a solution at GK for the long term.

We need a CB. The asking price for Van Dijk is extortionate, why not agree a fee with Roma for Rudiger as we get rid of Ake in the process? Why not sell the backup keeper and get a really good GK in for nothing then work or that striker, midfielder and wingback? By the way, the thing I love about Chelsea is how they can move for a player and a deal gets done in moments; they are the best team at doing that in the Premier League, and do not feel the need to leak.

These are my worries, that there are those who think that they can be more clever than anyone else in the transfer market. Look at some of the names that were being given as options to Salah, they did not inspire confidence, and who knows what the options to Van Dijk and Naby Keita are?

Another inspired post Groove Man   + 1
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017 11:34:38 am by MIRO »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #140: Jul 09, 2017 12:27:49 pm
      Have you looked at some of the players that Chelsea have sold at a profit? Have you looked at some of the honors they have gained in the last 15 or so years? You can sell youth while winning; the two are not mutually exclusive.

On a point of correction, we are not in agreement. You point of argument and you stated it was that there were changes in coaching and that is what has brought up the mess we see. Not true.

Allegri took over from Conte, that season they won the league and were in the Champions League final; they were back again there this season.
      Diego Simeone took over a faltering Atletico Madrid. His focus was the academy, and that he should see an end to the incessant boardroom wrangles. He delivered a league and two Champions League final appearances, and established Atleti as one of the best three teams in La Liga.
      Jose Mourinho left Chelsea, yet that squad that he left behind was what eventually brought Abramovich the Champions League.
      The team that Jupp Heynckes left behind for Pep Guardiola to date still has a good amount of players, yet it is now managed by Ancelotti, and that Real Madrid team that Jose Mourinho left for Ancelotti is what Zidane has been able to work so well with with a few additions.
      Pep Guardiola found a lot of players from Rijkaard's era, promoted from within and bought. He left that team to Vilanova, who passed it down to Martino who gave it to Enrique. Going into next season, Alba, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi still stand as players that passed through Guardiola's coaching time.

If a team is good, if the players are quality, then a coaching change does little to disrupt the harmony of the team. Look no further than what Luis Enrique's managerial career was before he got Barcelona, it was hardly glamorous, neither was Di Matteo.
      Great players make a manager's work easy, good luck arguing against that.

These were the best teams of the last decade and a half. Some of these teams are still winning it today, and have aspirations to continue winning.

No. Unless you did not watch Barcelona in the 90's, and even when they had a large Dutch contingent because the focus was on buying as opposed to promoting from within, they still had a lot of players graduating and going to perform for other teams.

When Laporta eventually took over, he made a very clear decision that they would look to promote from within. It was a decision taken at a time when Barcelona had invested heavily in players from other teams/leagues. So you saw Messi become a central figure, Pedro promoted and benching Henry, they bought back Alba, Pique bought from United, Busquets promoted, Iniesta given a prominent role and Guardiola coming in from Barca B. They would be further ahead had they simply started Thiago for a few more games or given Samper the opportunities he needed to really grow. That is something that has not been seen as important by the new board that seems keen on buying.
      This is what every team that lacks a winning mentality says.

Quality players have names because they got to a place where their names have to be recognized. You are talking balance; before Barcelona and Spain won it all with small technical players in midfield and upfront, how many teams were playing like that?

Before Florentino Perez in the late 90's assembled the original galacticos, how many teams even dreamed of simply buying stars and assembling a team?
      Now you see teams buying stars, or players on the cusp of being superstars all the time, and it costs money. That is something we either embrace or fall further back.

I am not disparaging Klopp, I am simply saying the man is not a god that we should worship and never question him.

Reina, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres. In their prime at Liverpool, they were in the top 5-7 of their respective positions. All they needed was a better left back with Aurelio's injury problems a class CB, and better players on the wing and the bench. It was never to be. Mascherano left for Barcelona, Alonso soon wanted out, Torres body started disintegrating and Reina started going backwards.

Ask people to name the best 6 players of the last dozen years at Liverpool, and the only player that is added there is Suarez. That shows you how much the team has struggled to replace their quality.
      You can now talk of systems, building a team and all that.......it is a debate I heard when Dalglish was spending money on Carroll, Downing, Adam, Enrique, Henderson, Coates and the ilk.
      It was a debate that was repeated when Rodgers was wasting money on the likes of Benteke, Lovren, and whatever politics was there when it came to players it is said were bought without his consent, whether true or not.

^^^^^This is a deaf following the blind mindset where people are discouraged from forming their opinions, and not only forming their opinions, but sharing them. In this thread alone, you have already told someone that he only posts negative things to get pluses, you are now telling me I could learn a lot from Klopp.
      What could I possibly learn from him? He is a manager whose job is to get the best out of the resources available, we do not interact. I am a fan who supports the team, not a single player, not a manager, and my main hope is that the team I support can consistently challenge and win titles and cups.

I asked you where is our spine? There is none. That is the first thing he has to build, and with quality players that allow him to focus on other areas in successive windows. It took an age to get rid of the players Dalglish and Hodgson signed, and the team is not yet done with some of the poor additions that took place during Rodgers tenure.
      Bad decisions slow down progress, good decisions hasten them. Appointing Klopp was a great decision, how player recruitment has gone is something that needs to catch up.

And if you want to live in a vacuum, so be it, but one thing I can assure you is that if a substandard window leads to poor results next season, the same people who want others to not critique will be among the first to complain. Champions League football was never the final destination, but something that ought to help bridge the financial gap and help the team acquire better talent.

Again an awful lot of words to say very little, but let me put this to you; our worst team to win the CL beat a team that you appear to laud as one of the best ever.
      A few changes here and there, but the 2005 Milan team were considered to be the equal of many of the great Milan teams that won under Sacchi.
      So, in effect what you are saying is that we should aspire to be a team that we beat with a pretty bad team.

We have a spine; the fact that you don't like it is irrelevant.
      We could do with strengthening some aspects of it, but on the whole it's a pretty good start for a bloke who is in the process of building his team.
      The way a team is built is open to interpretation; Rodgers tried to build from the front and work backwards, the more traditional route is to build from the back (not the spine), and the model that so many followed, as used and written about by Rinus Michels, doesn't mention a spine at all, so there is plenty of dispute about the best way to do it.
      Again, the fact that you want it done a certain way is irrelevant, it's Klopps team and he'll do it his way.

Coming back to Rinus Michels (and a point you seem so disparaging of) is that building a team is all about the system and the teams that you posted had managers who did exactly what Michels espoused (and so did Rafa, who was an avid student of Michels techniques).
      You don't simply go out and buy the best players then hope you can make them fit, you buy the players that best fit the system.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #141: Jul 09, 2017 12:40:48 pm
      That is what I have saying month in month out.

I refer to Mourinho with the addition of players to the spine who when added that season went on to win the title.

Courtois   at the back and Costa up front

Using the experienced , ruthless Chelsea  selling and   buying team of Marina Granovskaia and Michael Emenalo to do just that.

Listening to and reading some chelsea fans at the.moment they don't appear to share you opinion on at the moment
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #142: Jul 09, 2017 01:40:00 pm
      Absolutely, its hard to argue against anything he has put so far!

Impossible to argue is more fitting.
      Only somebody outstandingly obtuse could dispute the comment, apparently and surprisingly we do have a candidate on this very forum.

edit: An endorsement of the above is the fact that the lad has a 68 post count and 68 likes, of course the obtuse would accuse him of being a karma whore as is their misguided trait.
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017 01:44:44 pm by stuey »
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #143: Jul 09, 2017 02:01:41 pm
      The owners are taking the piss again regarding transfers. Every summer the excuse has been "we tried". Always linked with big signings but they never seem to materialise. Saleh will be our biggest addition come the end of the window. Not a bad player but not exactly what we need is it? It's glaringly obvious that the defence needs sorting. Do they have any other targets than VVD? Are they actually going to send us into another season without a left back?

Sick of these smoke an mirror's games they seem to play. Arsenal signed Lacezette without Champions League football. Money talks and in my opinion they are not aggresive enough to get deals over the line.

We were in with a shout of the league last Christmas. What did the owners do? Go out and strengthen and give ourselves a much needed boost? Nah, they claimed there was no value in the market in Jan. Despite the fact Coutinho and Suarez signed in January and have been amongst our most successful signings in recent history.

Remember the time they sent us into the season without a recognised striker? They wouldn't pay ÂŁ2mil more for *ahem* Clint Dempsey.

Remember the time we signed Rickie Lambert instead of Alexis Sanchez?

Sadly, this summer is just History repeating itself.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #144: Jul 09, 2017 07:09:09 pm
      Listening to and reading some chelsea fans at the.moment they don't appear to share you opinion on at the moment

Moaners  and whingers the plastic Chavs .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #145: Jul 09, 2017 07:13:03 pm

edit: An endorsement of the above is the fact that the lad has a 68 post count and 68 likes, of course the obtuse would accuse him of being a karma whore as is their misguided trait.

Some of us mere mortals are fallible and less popular Stu . ..   
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #146: Jul 09, 2017 08:28:58 pm
      FSG need to get this Summer right for the sake of their own reputation. Right now that reputation is one of pepetual failure to get deals over the line which has lead to the rife cynacism we see on social media, including this forum. If that's ever to change, this is the Summer to do it. If they fail - again - and we fail in the Champions League and finish outside the top four next season, I really cannot see how their position as owners will be tennable any longer.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #147: Jul 09, 2017 09:37:39 pm
      This is history almost repeating itself.
      Brendan was brought in, DRASTICALLY reduced our wage budget, then almost won us the league in the process. We made the champions league, lost our 2 most valuable attacking assets (Sterling/Suarez) but never replaced them cause we lost out to our main transfer targets.

Now we have qualified again for the champs league and aren't building a strong enough squad due to the ineptitude of the transfer committee an owners.

If we don't strengthen our squad sufficiently and flop next season (especially with chelsea, arsenal, everton and united improving their squads)  theres gonna be a lot of questions that need answering
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #148: Jul 09, 2017 10:24:08 pm
      Impossible to argue is more fitting.
      Only somebody outstandingly obtuse could dispute the comment, apparently and surprisingly we do have a candidate on this very forum.

A certain someone posted 8,694 time and had 1222 likes which works out to be 14.059%
      I posted 2,148 time and had 304 likes which works out to be 14.153%

So how is it that I can be called a plus whore when we have both received almost the same percentages of pluses…? ;D

Beside if there is a “Plus Whore on this site it has to be grooveshark with an amazing
      68 post and 70 likes which work out at an amazing 102.94117647058823%

Well done that man

I truly believe that if their were a “Dislike/thumbs down” vote I would be leading that one by far...;D

No really some great post grooveshark...Oh it now stands at 68/71
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #149: Jul 09, 2017 10:45:12 pm
      A certain someone posted 8,694 time and had 1222 likes which works out to be 14.059%

So how is it that I can be called a plus whore when we have both received almost the same percentages of pluses…? ;D

Beside if there is a “Plus Whore on this site it has to be grooveshark with an amazing

Well done that man

I truly believe that if their were a “Dislike/thumbs down” vote I would be leading that one by far...;D

https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?action=profile;u=2541

This guy would take some beating.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #150: Jul 09, 2017 11:01:02 pm

Rafa La Bamba.

Now theres a blast from the past
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #151: Jul 10, 2017 09:41:54 am
      You couldn't even let me have that could you  :roll:... How did he get the minus 157...? ;D  .... Is it -157...?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #152: Jul 10, 2017 09:47:08 am
      You couldn't even let me have that could you  :roll:... How did he get the minus 157...? ;D  .... Is it -157...?

:lmao: nah you know me mate.

We used to have + and - for users on here and I think he just talked an amazing amount of sh*te if I remember correctly, towards the end of his stay he may have got better but not sure.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #153: Jul 10, 2017 06:43:53 pm

Well done that man

I would say anything more than 20% is fishy and if mods checked IP location of likes, they would probably find two IP near eachother, or maybe the same IP.
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017 06:48:34 pm by Ribapuru »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6377 
      Reply #154: Jul 10, 2017 06:48:51 pm
      if mods checked IP location of likes, they would probably find two IP near eachother,

Do you think so? Considering this is a forum for LFC..LIVERPOOL football club. Might they find two IPs relatively close to each other? Say in Liverpool? :lmao:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #155: Jul 10, 2017 08:43:46 pm

Outstanding wum, got banned off.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #156: Jul 10, 2017 11:02:58 pm
      I would say anything more than 20% is fishy and if mods checked IP location of likes, they would probably find two IP near eachother, or maybe the same IP.

We do have lives you know. Some things are more important than who gets how many likes and checking to see who liked whos post and then looking at the IP's. Let's not have this become a thing, christ the amount of people that used to kick off if they got "negged" on the old system.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #157: Jul 10, 2017 11:44:29 pm

:lmao: nah you know me mate.

We used to have + and - for users on here and I think he just talked an amazing amount of sh*te if I remember correctly, towards the end of his stay he may have got better but not sure.

People could get real petty with that system. I remember getting negged for giving away the ending of Toy Story 3...seriously!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #158: Jul 11, 2017 01:08:06 am

People could get real petty with that system. I remember getting negged for giving away the ending of Toy Story 3...seriously!
      So  you should... Spoiled it for a lot of people  ;D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #159: Jul 11, 2017 10:01:20 am

I'd have sentenced you to death for spoilers like that ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #160: Jul 11, 2017 11:19:50 am
      Seems like this Summer transfer fees are rising again. Fenway seem to think they are the dogs bollocks with the Salah signing but that is a relatively small fee these days and there needs to be plenty more where that came from.

Do they have it in them?

Quick Reply