Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Tranmere 0-4 Liverpool: Friendly Match 1 [2017-18]

Read 15535 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Liverpool : 12th July (Friendly)
      Reply #138: Jul 12, 2017 09:36:00 pm
      Can't argue with that performance by the lads, thought TAA, Bobby, Lucas, Kent, Woodburn, Flanno the highlights for us.

The only one who can be really disappointed with themselves is Markovic who doesn't look to have a future with us.

Agree that Solanke did decent but if he'd scored I'd have won my bet, so I blame him and Markovic, pair of fkers :lmao:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #139: Jul 12, 2017 09:36:52 pm
      Can't argue with that performance by the lads, thought TAA, Bobby, Lucas, Kent, Woodburn, Flanno the highlights for us.

The only one who can be really disappointed with themselves is Markovic who doesn't look to have a future with us.

I totally agree. And even Grujic.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #140: Jul 12, 2017 09:38:06 pm
      There has to be a team out there that either wants Flanagan or needs him.

Markovic trying to stake a claim for that penalty, away with you lad!
      Flanagan is a much better standing left back than Milner, would keep the lad...Markovic just not happening for him, seems to overwhelmed in a Liverpool jersey 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #141: Jul 12, 2017 09:41:59 pm
      Very promising stuff from the lads considering it was the first game of pre-season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #142: Jul 12, 2017 09:47:49 pm
      Does have a look of Fowler the way he chopped across the defender there for the 4th (Woodburn).

Really enjoyed watching him tonight.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Tranmere 0-4 Liverpool: Friendly Match 1 [2017-18]
      Reply #143: Jul 12, 2017 09:48:18 pm
      Well we only beat them 1-0 in the first game of last pre-season so I don't know about anyone else but that's probably the title sewn up. ;)

Thought we looked good - kids looked confident and thought some of Tranmere's lads haven't even started pre-season.

Solanke looked lively, a bit more lively than that fella up front in the first half.  TAA did well, Grujic looks like he is going to have another pre-season (hopefully doesn't follow it with another disappearing season).

Hope this game in less than 48 hours time doesn't present any potential injury hazards.  Good to have the footy heading back!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #144: Jul 12, 2017 09:52:04 pm
      Does have a look of Fowler the way he chopped across the defender there for the 4th (Woodburn).

Really enjoyed watching him tonight.

Same mate. There were some really good performances tonight, especially from some of the younger lads.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #145: Jul 12, 2017 09:55:46 pm

Agree that Solanke did decent but if he'd scored I'd have won my bet, so I blame him and Markovic, pair of fkers :lmao:

I was sympathetic toward Markovic last year at this time, but I suspect now he is just biding his time, wondering where he'll end up. I guess he was OK for Hull last season (not great, OK), and it's probably best for him to get moved to a lower place so he can actually play football. He has quickness, but is nowhere near a good enough player for this team. Recognizing we will take a loss on him (probably a big loss), let's quit wasting his and our time.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #146: Jul 12, 2017 09:57:23 pm
      Same mate. There were some really good performances tonight, especially from some of the younger lads.

Do you think it's harder for a kid to become  a first-team regular today, than it was when Macca, Fowler, Owen broke into the team?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #147: Jul 12, 2017 09:59:08 pm
      It's always nice to play at Tranmere and so it proved again tonight. Great club, great stadium - but then again we would expect that for Merseyside's second biggest club.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #148: Jul 12, 2017 10:04:06 pm
      anyone got a vid of 3rd and 4th goals?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #149: Jul 12, 2017 10:13:11 pm
      anyone got a vid of 3rd and 4th goals?

http://www.brieffootball.com/2017/07/tranmere-vs-liverpool-video-highlights.html

Not just the goals but you can skip to the last two.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #150: Jul 12, 2017 10:30:26 pm
      Thought all the lads looked lively tonight bar Markovic who looked like he just got off a plane.

Probably the most impressive first preseason game I've seen us play.

Once we put Van Dijk and Keite in to the team we'll be a considerable force 8)
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017 10:39:31 pm by bazspeedman »
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #151: Jul 12, 2017 10:58:13 pm
      Very happy that preseason has started and that I can see the lads play again! Great to see our captain back on the pitch and hopefully Sturridge is able to have a proper preseason with the squad.

First half:

Lots and lots of wing play which left Wijnaldum and Grujic looking a bit lost in the middle. Both were picking up good positions between the lines and making good runs into the box though. I really like the look of Grujic, he has a good football brain. Good movement and runs, strong lad and an eye for goal, those are the things you look for in an attacking-minded midfielder.

Trent-Alexander Arnold also seems to have spent a bit of time in the gym, he looked quite a bit bigger than I remember him from last season, certainly has put in the hard work in the offseason. Quite surprising to see him in the first half line-up along with the other first team players. A subtle warning for Clyne there from the gaffer? Let's hope he ups his game.

I also really hope we keep hold of Lucas for another season. He can be a very useful player in some games and distributed the ball well again.

Second half:

A great display by some of the younger players, Woodburn and Kent in particular. I love the way they run at players and do their thing. Solanke looked pretty good too, he has quite quick feet for such a tall lad and he has good movement in the box. Looking forward to see more of him.

Other than that, as one of the commentators said about Markovic, I feel for the lad. It just won't work for him with us. Still think he's a talented player and I hope he finds a team that suits his style of play and a manager that can make him confident in his own abilities again.

I also wonder why Wilson isn't getting some gametime in preseason. I saw him in the inside anfield videos so I assume he is fit? He has always looked good for the U23's and has a great left foot. Must be hard for him to see all his teammates getting gametime in preseason.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #152: Jul 13, 2017 03:09:17 pm

I also wonder why Wilson isn't getting some gametime in preseason. I saw him in the inside anfield videos so I assume he is fit? He has always looked good for the U23's and has a great left foot. Must be hard for him to see all his teammates getting gametime in preseason.

I don't believe he was in the lineup for the U23s last night either, so perhaps he is injured, or he is part of a swap deal for Keita.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #153: Jul 13, 2017 04:30:27 pm
      Don't really bother much with preseason these days but caught the goals - quality one from Grujic.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #154: Jul 13, 2017 06:48:33 pm
      Do you think it's harder for a kid to become  a first-team regular today, than it was when Macca, Fowler, Owen broke into the team?

I don't think so, I just don't think the quality has been there to make that happen. TAA is the only young player we have that I have a lot of confidence in about making it through as a first team regular if I'm honest. Likes of Woodburn look decent enough but even still, look some way off the level to what the likes of Owen were at when that age IMO.

But, the youngsters done well and certainly showed themselves in a good light with the performance against Tranmere, will do their confidence a lot of good and continue to perform like that and they will get their chances for more game time. Especially when you consider how much better Kent looked than Markovic, Woodburn/Solanke compared to Sturridge etc.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017 06:53:40 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »

Quick Reply