Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bayern [Champions League] Tue 19th Feb @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W4 D7 L4

Andrew Robertson : Hull FC

Read 9148 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,893 posts | 2739 
      Andrew Robertson : Hull FC
      Jul 14, 2017 08:28:04 pm
      « Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017 08:32:52 pm by HScRed1 »
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,765 posts | 1640 
      Re: Andrew Robertson Hull FC
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2017 08:34:04 pm
      Acutally think this kid could be a helluva signing 23, fast and smart and decent awareness..good defender.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,778 posts | 1590 
      Re: Andrew Robertson : Hull FC
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2017 09:02:03 pm
      LB?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,330 posts | 4724 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2017 09:36:32 pm

Well this is interesting. Thought this was just speculation and nothing more to it. Encouraged by this. Incidentally I had a shot of the old Football Manager (2016 version) on the laptop a few months ago and built a side at Roma with Robertson at left back. One hell of a player on that game...as was Salah who was the piece de resistance of that Roma team. He's stunning on FM.

Still like Scotia's suggestion of Tierney's though. It doesn't have to be either him or Robertson. Get them both! Get young Kieran before Lawwell and co rocket his price up further!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      • Better Red Than Dead @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2017 09:58:47 pm

The first time we were linked with the lad.

First Mane, then Salah and VvD, now Robertson. It's almost eerie the way both Brendan and J├╝rgen like (and were linked with) the same  players.  😲

That has definitely saved our 'scouting' department a lot of work, if nothing else. 😉

-------------------------------------------------------------

On the lad himself: I genuinely like him but for some weird reason, I had convinced myself J├╝rgen was going to raid Germany for a left back and that the links (with Robertson) were just press speculation. Looks like I got that way wrong. 😁
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 09:53:29 am by bad boy bubby »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,980 posts | 2158 
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2017 10:04:03 pm
      I think he's a right good player, proper footballer. As I've said before - Scotland just happen to have 2 top left backs just now......this kid is a good 'un
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,362 posts | 1577 
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2017 11:49:46 pm
      Have we finally found a replacement for Riise?!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,893 posts | 2739 
      Reply #7: Jul 15, 2017 12:49:52 am
      Won't take much for him to show he is better than Milner, I was hoping that nonsense would have ended this season but I suppose every manager has the're blind spot.

red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,497 posts | 59 
      Reply #8: Jul 15, 2017 09:42:33 am
      Happy with this signing if we do manage to sign Keita and VVD as that will make us one of the biggest net spenders of this transfer window and that will be impressive.
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,457 posts | 337 
      Reply #9: Jul 15, 2017 10:55:08 am
      Won't take much for him to show he is better than Milner, I was hoping that nonsense would have ended this season but I suppose every manager has the're blind spot.

To be fair I don't think Milner did much wrong last season..
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,914 posts | 1048 
      Reply #10: Jul 15, 2017 10:59:57 am
      Will be a very clever signing.

He's a proper left back this lad.

Haven't had one of those for some time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,692 posts | 1053 
      Reply #11: Jul 15, 2017 01:46:54 pm
      Going against the grain because I find him rash and a little inexperienced defensively and going forward nothing to rave about either.

Will be nice to see a natural left back with a useable left foot playing left back though, even if he is average. Be interesting to see what happens to Milner if he retains his spot ahead of Robertson or if he is moved around again, or even benched.

He is a big earner and i'm sure Fenway will start to get ideas of trying to move him on.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,692 posts | 1053 
      Reply #12: Jul 15, 2017 01:51:58 pm
      Going against the grain because I find him rash and a little inexperienced defensively and going forward nothing to rave about either.

Will be nice to see a natural left back with a useable left foot playing left back though, even if he is average. Be interesting to see what happens to Milner if he retains his spot ahead of Robertson or if he is moved around again, or even benched.

He is a big earner and i'm sure Fenway will start to get ideas of trying to move him on if he can't command a starting role.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: Jul 15, 2017 01:52:34 pm

Still remember how some fans turned on riise after that chelsea og, pathetic
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,131 posts | 1789 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #14: Jul 15, 2017 04:33:31 pm
      Don't regard him as a world beater by any means, however, he is a very decent attacking left wing back who can defend very well, i think he can improve tremendously under a J├╝rgen  Klopp regime where his skills will be prevalent, he also has a wicked shot on him, perhaps not in the Riise mould but nevertheless he will be a great acquisition to our squad, i like him and believe he will shine with the players he has around him, hope we land him.

YNWA
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,457 posts | 164 
      Reply #15: Jul 15, 2017 06:13:07 pm
      To be fair I don't think Milner did much wrong last season..

He didn't do much wrong but he got found out after 1/2 a season, and being predictable doesn't do the team any favours.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: Jul 15, 2017 06:25:27 pm
      Don't regard him as a world beater by any means, however, he is a very decent attacking left wing back who can defend very well, i think he can improve tremendously under a J├╝rgen  Klopp regime where his skills will be prevalent, he also has a wicked shot on him, perhaps not in the Riise mould but nevertheless he will be a great acquisition to our squad, i like him and believe he will shine with the players he has around him, hope we land him.

YNWA

I know sweet F.A. about him but it would be a surprise if we went for a player to come in who was understudy unless we have something in the pipeline.

I don't see a player like TAA coming through that you might think it's worth giving him the development time instead so I'd much prefer we went for someone to come straight into the first team and improve us.

FWIW at LB I think most players in the league would improve us there, really don't think Milner got the stick he deserved last season due to his near impeccable pens and his tireless work. I had a big issue with his quality at both ends of the pitch and his pace and, like I said, whoever comes in I just hope it's to start.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,131 posts | 1789 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #17: Jul 15, 2017 07:53:34 pm
      I know sweet F.A. about him but it would be a surprise if we went for a player to come in who was understudy unless we have something in the pipeline.

I don't see a player like TAA coming through that you might think it's worth giving him the development time instead so I'd much prefer we went for someone to come straight into the first team and improve us.

FWIW at LB I think most players in the league would improve us there, really don't think Milner got the stick he deserved last season due to his near impeccable pens and his tireless work. I had a big issue with his quality at both ends of the pitch and his pace and, like I said, whoever comes in I just hope it's to start.

Got to be honest Luke he's a much better LB than Milner was or will ever be, that's no disrespect to Jimmy cos he did a great job in a position that was alien to him, we've all been screaming for a natural LB who can actually defend and at the same time have the capacity to attack and deliver quality balls into the box etc, we'll have that in Robertson and like i say he's no world beater but nor was Nicol, Neale(RB), or JAR for that matter, you could say messers Nicol & Neale became worldy's but only after arriving at Anfield,

I think he'll prove to be a very smart acquisition and for me he would certainly improve us.

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18: Jul 16, 2017 12:35:46 am

Got to be honest Luke he's a much better LB than Milner was or will ever be, that's no disrespect to Jimmy cos he did a great job in a position that was alien to him, we've all been screaming for a natural LB who can actually defend and at the same time have the capacity to attack and deliver quality balls into the box etc, we'll have that in Robertson and like i say he's no world beater but nor was Nicol, Neale(RB), or JAR for that matter, you could say messers Nicol & Neale became worldy's but only after arriving at Anfield,

I think he'll prove to be a very smart acquisition and for me he would certainly improve us.

YNWA

Like the sound of that Billy, cheers.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #19: Jul 16, 2017 02:05:35 am

Typical.

Played constantly out of position by the manager and Jimmy didn't get the 'stick he deserved'.

Had that have been Rodgers, your criticism would have been aimed at the manager for playing a player out of position.

Anyway, hope this lad Robertson is the LB we've so long needed.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017 02:11:14 am by Beerbelly »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,049 posts | 1488 
      Reply #20: Jul 16, 2017 09:11:24 am

Only if we sign a Bellamy type player complete with golf clubs.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,584 posts | 829 
      Reply #21: Jul 16, 2017 12:04:05 pm
      Liverpool winger Ryan Kent, 20, is wanted by Hull as part of the deal that will take Scottish left-back Andrew Robertson, 23, in the opposite direction....
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,382 posts | 1232 
      Reply #22: Jul 16, 2017 12:38:38 pm
      Liverpool winger Ryan Kent, 20, is wanted by Hull as part of the deal that will take Scottish left-back Andrew Robertson, 23, in the opposite direction....
      Not sure about that. A season loan for Kent as part of the deal is fine. I rather buy a player that is established, I don't call experience at Hull what we should be looking for.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #23: Jul 16, 2017 12:43:51 pm
      Not sure about that. A season loan for Kent as part of the deal is fine. I rather buy a player that is established, I don't call experience at Hull what we should be looking for.

Somewhere kevin keegan, ian rush, phil neal and ray clemence csn afford themselves a smile
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      Reply #24: Jul 16, 2017 01:05:56 pm
      Somewhere kevin keegan, ian rush, phil neal and ray clemence csn afford themselves a smile

That somewhere?... the 1970s 😊
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,382 posts | 1232 
      Reply #25: Jul 16, 2017 01:35:17 pm
      Hull were relegated, not saying it was all Robertsons fault. I never really watched Hull and never really paid attention to this guy. I just know he plays for Hull who were relegated. I can't be the only one disappointed we are not going in for well known players to fit in LB role with CL next season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #26: Jul 16, 2017 01:35:45 pm

Shouldn't necessarily judge players on the team they play for.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,382 posts | 1232 
      Reply #27: Jul 16, 2017 01:40:49 pm
      Shouldn't necessarily judge players on the team they play for.
      Arsenal sign Sead Kolasinac from Shalke and we get Robertson from Hull? We were after Dalbert from Nice a few days ago, I guess the interest from Inter Milan made us look elsewhere.
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,362 posts | 1577 
      Reply #28: Jul 16, 2017 01:46:28 pm
      Arsenal sign Sead Kolasinac from Shalke and we get Robertson from Hull?

Maybe he told his agent he wanted to live in London? :O

Anyway, have you seen Klasinac play on a regular basis? Do you even know he's better than Robertson? I have seen Robertson play a little over handful of times and I'm still not entirely sure on him, and being part of a team that got relegated doesn't fill me with much optimism!
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017 01:53:44 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,382 posts | 1232 
      Reply #29: Jul 16, 2017 01:52:20 pm
      Maybe he told his agent he wanted to live in London? :O

Anyway, have you seen Klasinac play on a regular basis? Do you even know he's better than Robertson? I have seen Robertson play a little over handful of times and I'm still entirely sure on him, and being part of a team that got relegated doesn't fill me with much optimism!
      did you mean still not?
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,362 posts | 1577 
      Reply #30: Jul 16, 2017 01:54:05 pm

Thanks for correcting me! Edited :)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,143 posts | 1343 
      Reply #31: Jul 16, 2017 01:57:55 pm

It won't be part of the same deal. It'll be a separate deal but Hull are hoping that their willingness to sell Robertson will encourage Liverpool to loan them Kent.
      Robby The Z
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,005 posts | 590 
      Reply #32: Jul 17, 2017 02:22:15 am
      It won't be part of the same deal. It'll be a separate deal but Hull are hoping that their willingness to sell Robertson will encourage Liverpool to loan them Kent.

With signing Salah I wouldn't expect Kent to see much action at all with the first team, while getting the left back in should be a priority (if indeed Robertson is good enough as many of you seem to think he is). So if anything we should hope that our willingness to loan Kent should help us seal the Robertson deal. I wonder if Kent is thinking about it at the moment.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,143 posts | 1343 
      Reply #33: Jul 17, 2017 06:00:41 pm
      https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcburnsy/status/886985777170829313

This deal should be done fairly soon then.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #34: Jul 17, 2017 06:08:20 pm

Elmo ?, no wonder theyy got relegated if they had a real muppet playing for them
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,765 posts | 1640 
      Reply #35: Jul 17, 2017 06:10:41 pm
      Elmo ?, no wonder theyy got relegated if they had a real muppet playing for them

Don't know, heard he was a real belter; Imagine the kit sales on that fella!

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #36: Jul 17, 2017 06:12:17 pm

Harry redknapp is on the phone as we speak
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,143 posts | 1343 
      Reply #37: Jul 17, 2017 06:40:49 pm

:D

Elmohamady. He's on his way to Villa.
      JC16
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 774 posts | 67 
      Reply #38: Jul 17, 2017 07:51:45 pm

Now aI have that freaking song stuck in my head.

My youngest child is 12.  Thought I was past those years of getting those songs stuck. 😂
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #39: Jul 17, 2017 09:17:52 pm
      I love this signing ( if it happens ;D). I like the idea of him with the club for a number of reasons. The first is we don't have to deal with the culture shock, new style of play, and lack of top level experience that comes with a  foreign guy coming to the EPL. The second is he brings a lot more speed to the position. We need that against CL level scorers. Milner will struggle against that speed and bringing in a true LB with good instincts and better size and speed is a upgrade for sure. Also, I know enough about him (one of my friends is a Hull fan) to know that this price we are getting him at is a STEAL.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2766 
      Reply #40: Jul 17, 2017 10:25:58 pm
      This is either going to be a "steal" as BRIT434 says, or it's a waste of money and more importantly, time. We obviously need a proper left-back of that there is no doubt, but is this lad really the best one we can find, anywhere? I'm not so sure myself, and I've a hunch we are planning on starting the season with James Milner as our first choice in the position. I really like Milner and think he does a sound enough job, but I think we ought to be looking to replace him with somebody is MUCH better, not "arguably so if at all" better. Out of the fairly obvious options even in in the Premiership, Ryan Bertrand stands out to me as a much better player, albeit a more expensive one too.

As much as I like Milner, I think we need a proper left back. This lad, if he really is potentially good enough to play in a title challenging team week in and week out (and surely that should be the criteria) has completely slipped under the radar of everyone else who is looking to buy players. You do sometimes get unheralded players whose purchase turns out to be a masterstroke, but it doesn't happen often with players already in the Premiership.

It would be a no from me.     
      « Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017 10:48:55 pm by bigmick »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Jul 17, 2017 10:33:20 pm
      LondonRed83

• 8,143 posts | 892 
      Reply #42: Jul 17, 2017 11:07:46 pm
      It's a yes from me
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,950 posts | 185 
      • do do do
      Reply #43: Jul 18, 2017 07:16:59 am
      23 years old, 200 senior apps already, can defend, seems hard.. sign him up!

look at a guy like clyne, signed for a few mil from palace to soton, they developed him into what we bought for 12mil~. similar trajectory for this guy? not saying hull have raised robertson as well as soton do players but a couple years under klopp does wonders for most players careers!
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,457 posts | 337 
      Reply #44: Jul 18, 2017 07:46:34 am
      Willing to support the lad and really hope he can improve enough under Klopp, but squad player at best I'm afraid.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #45: Jul 18, 2017 08:15:51 am
      Its a let's wait and see from me.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,717 posts | 88 
      Reply #46: Jul 18, 2017 08:34:42 am
      That must be joke right...We are in CL not in championship.
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,046 posts | 1052 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #47: Jul 18, 2017 08:39:29 am

Ditto, not really a fan of writing players off before they've even put a shirt on.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2766 
      Reply #48: Jul 18, 2017 09:12:52 am
      Ditto, not really a fan of writing players off before they've even put a shirt on.

Nah me neither, only idiots do that. Saying whether or not you personally would buy him tho, and offering a viable alternative? That seems fair enough, to me at least.
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,046 posts | 1052 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #49: Jul 18, 2017 10:20:53 am
      Nah me neither, only idiots do that. Saying whether or not you personally would buy him tho, and offering a viable alternative? That seems fair enough, to me at least.

Yup, no problem with that Michael. I suppose it all depends if he's a Klopp target or a part of the moneyball game.

Time and Klopp will tell I suppose.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #50: Jul 18, 2017 10:22:24 am
      The crazy thing is there are people on here who want us to buy VVD, Keita, and still feel that FSG are screwing us on mid level LB like Andy. When you factor in Salah what else could you want/hope for REALISTICALLY? If we are to go after big boy transfers like Keita and VVD than Robertson makes PERFECT sense. A good quality LB with EPL experience, upgraded speed and size for the position, and for a fraction of the cost as the other aforementioned players. Not that it matters, but I'm happy with this signing. 
      heimdall

• 7,778 posts | 1590 
      Reply #51: Jul 18, 2017 10:36:03 am
      The crazy thing is there are people on here who want us to buy VVD, Keita, and still feel that FSG are screwing us on mid level LB like Andy. When you factor in Salah what else could you want/hope for REALISTICALLY? If we are to go after big boy transfers like Keita and VVD than Robertson makes PERFECT sense. A good quality LB with EPL experience, upgraded speed and size for the position, and for a fraction of the cost as the other aforementioned players. Not that it matters, but I'm happy with this signing. 

I agree, you don't have to always pay top dollar in every position, is this lad the best LB in the world No, but can he become the best, who knows, can he become a better player under Klopp and his coaching staff and playing with better players, most definitely.
      In our recent past we have some excellent examples of buying players who have developed into sensational players for us, Hyppia would be the main one I'm thinking of but you could also include Mascherano, Suarez and Couts at a stretch, none of them were top dollar purchases but developed into superb top class players.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,893 posts | 2739 
      Reply #52: Jul 18, 2017 11:00:24 am
      Do we need a world class LB, it would be nice of course but this position is not going to dictate our season.

A decent reliable back up to Jimmy.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,119 posts | 646 
      Reply #53: Jul 18, 2017 11:03:44 am
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #54: Jul 18, 2017 12:26:18 pm
      Do we need a world class LB, it would be nice of course but this position is not going to dictate our season.

A decent reliable back up to Jimmy.

Not so sure he won't take over in the near future. We will need his speed in the CL
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,893 posts | 2739 
      Reply #55: Jul 18, 2017 12:32:54 pm
      Not so sure he won't take over in the near future. We will need his speed in the CL

I don't think he will replace Milner in the coming season but yeah give him a season or 2 and once he settles in why not.

After all it can't be that difficult to play LB for him cf to Milner  :D

heimdall

• 7,778 posts | 1590 
      Reply #56: Jul 18, 2017 01:48:53 pm
      I don't think he will replace Milner in the coming season but yeah give him a season or 2 and once he settles in why not.

After all it can't be that difficult to play LB for him cf to Milner  :D

Are you seriously suggesting that Milner, a right footed midfielder, is better as LB than a player who is a left footed LB??
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,893 posts | 2739 
      Reply #57: Jul 18, 2017 03:28:04 pm
      Are you seriously suggesting that Milner, a right footed midfielder, is better as LB than a player who is a left footed LB??

I'm just saying what Klopp has hinted.

Obviously not the bit about Jimmy being a mediocre LB  :lmao:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,225 posts | 2958 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #58: Jul 18, 2017 06:14:45 pm
      I hope if we sign him he slots straight into the team as 1st choice and proves to be worth it but to be honest, this isn't  filling me with much confidence and I still see us starting the season with Milner at LB, which if we do, then it doesn't look good for Robertson if we are paying 10mill for an actual LB but yet not one good enough to be ahead of a player there out of position.

Would have liked us to have gone for Ricardo Rodriguez, think he could have been boss but will have to see how this goes instead.

Hope I am proved completely wrong.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #59: Jul 18, 2017 09:09:58 pm
      I hope if we sign him he slots straight into the team as 1st choice and proves to be worth it but to be honest, this isn't  filling me with much confidence and I still see us starting the season with Milner at LB, which if we do, then it doesn't look good for Robertson if we are paying 10mill for an actual LB but yet not one good enough to be ahead of a player there out of position.

Would have liked us to have gone for Ricardo Rodriguez, think he could have been boss but will have to see how this goes instead.

Hope I am proved completely wrong.

I like Milner as much as any.  I think he is a consummate pro who handles himself with class and dignity. He has an incredible work rate and plays the game the right way. He is a team guy who will do anything to help the team. With that said look at it like this. Robertson is younger, bigger, faster, a natural LB, and is left foot dominat. I like the move because with all the football to be played we have good options for all games at left back. But in my limited opinion I just see us needing more speed on the pitch in champions league games, especially if we don't upgrade at CB. Robertson brings that over Milner.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,980 posts | 2158 
      Reply #60: Jul 18, 2017 09:42:38 pm
      I'll be amazed if Robertson isn't first choice. He's better than any full back currently at the club.
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,765 posts | 1640 
      Reply #61: Jul 18, 2017 09:49:17 pm
      I'll be amazed if Robertson isn't first choice. He's better than any full back currently at the club.

I kind of lean the other way; I think for this year he is there to save Milner's legs.

He may not be the best full back out there but Milner's not going to hurt you (like a moreno) He might not be a 10/10 but your not going to see a 2/10 out of him. I think the manager appreciates his intangibles, work ethic and his game mind. Add that to the fact he is about the only member of this squad that has won anything and that's why he want's him involved and on the pitch.

There might be a lot of advantages to playing Robertson over Milner but at the same time he could learn a lot from James and I reckon the manager thinks so too.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,980 posts | 2158 
      Reply #62: Jul 18, 2017 09:57:23 pm
      I kind of lean the other way; I think for this year he is there to save Milner's legs.

He may not be the best full back out there but Milner's not going to hurt you (like a moreno) He might not be a 10/10 but your not going to see a 2/10 out of him. I think the manager appreciates his intangibles, work ethic and his game mind. Add that to the fact he is about the only member of this squad that has won anything and that's why he want's him involved and on the pitch.

There might be a lot of advantages to playing Robertson over Milner but at the same time he could learn a lot from James and I reckon the manager thinks so too.

You may be right AZ.......I just believe a lot of people will be surprised what a talent this kid is.
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,765 posts | 1640 
      Reply #63: Jul 18, 2017 10:01:11 pm
      Maybe right AZ I just believe a lot of people will be surprised what a talent this kid is.

I agree...think he has loads of talent; what he has really lacked is having a manager spend time with him, Steve Bruce is not exactly the type to coach kids up and he has moved around alot....A year with J├╝rgen working on the defensive side of his game while learning some from Milner will do worlds of good.

Both Milner and Clyne got run into the ground last year and you could tell during the stretch run the legs were gone on both of them...with Robertson & TAA in the mix now all 4 players should benefit.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,225 posts | 2958 
      Reply #64: Jul 18, 2017 10:32:29 pm
      I like Milner as much as any.  I think he is a consummate pro who handles himself with class and dignity. He has an incredible work rate and plays the game the right way. He is a team guy who will do anything to help the team. With that said look at it like this. Robertson is younger, bigger, faster, a natural LB, and is left foot dominat. I like the move because with all the football to be played we have good options for all games at left back. But in my limited opinion I just see us needing more speed on the pitch in champions league games, especially if we don't upgrade at CB. Robertson brings that over Milner.

So you like Milner because he is a good professional, hard worker etc but say nothing about his ability to play at LB, which is limited.
      You like Robertson because he gives us more pace but make no reference to his actual ability either. If this is the only way of looking at it, more pace on the pitch, then we may as well stick with Moreno because he's rapid.

Having Robertson and a make shift player at LB isn't having good options. I'd be a bit concerned if we come up against a damn good team in Europe with that as our options.

We will see with Robertson, he will either prove a few doubters, like myself, completely wrong which I hope is the case. Or he will be another Moreno.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #65: Jul 18, 2017 10:59:14 pm
      So you like Milner because he is a good professional, hard worker etc but say nothing about his ability to play at LB, which is limited.
      You like Robertson because he gives us more pace but make no reference to his actual ability either. If this is the only way of looking at it, more pace on the pitch, then we may as well stick with Moreno because he's rapid.

Having Robertson and a make shift player at LB isn't having good options. I'd be a bit concerned if we come up against a damn good team in Europe with that as our options.

We will see with Robertson, he will either prove a few doubters, like myself, completely wrong which I hope is the case. Or he will be another Moreno.

I didn't know u were so keen on me breaking down the skill set on Andy Rob, but since u asked I'll give u my bar stool opinion 😂

U mentioned both Milner and Moreno in your post and I think Robertson is sort of a happy medium of the two. He doesn't have the athleticism of Moreno but they both share a similar build. Milner is the more physical of the two options, but as we mentioned earlier lacks the speed and experience at the position. I think Robertsons ability to push the ball forward and tackling are both underrated. His tackle against Mane last season changed the complexion of our game and led to a crucial goal. Milner has the edge on passing but I think Robertson is still improving in this area

Milner is a make shift LB, but he does bring good things to the pitch at the position and having his leadership on the pitch is a plus. Robertson is the more complete player at the position  and IMO more ready for CL football at LB.

As far as Milner teaching Robertson I just wonder, what does he teach him that he can't teach him from training or the bench? If anything Robertson could show Jimmy a few things being a natural LB and all.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,225 posts | 2958 
      Reply #66: Jul 18, 2017 11:31:56 pm
      I didn't know u were so keen on me breaking down the skill set on Andy Rob, but since u asked I'll give u my bar stool opinion 😂

I'm not, but I am more interested in their actual footballing ability and ability to play at LB effectively rather than whether they are quick, strong or whether they play the game in the right way.
      Physical attributes mean nothing if you can't play at a good standard, just look at Moreno; rapid, good agility and fairly strong...yet he's complete garbage when it comes to defending or using the ball. But someone like Didi Hamann for example; made Heskey look quick, wasn't particularly agile, but yet he was a damn good player and could actually play football.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,330 posts | 4724 
      • YNWA
      Reply #67: Jul 19, 2017 12:09:58 am

U mentioned both Milner and Moreno in your post and I think Robertson is sort of a happy medium of the two. He doesn't have the athleticism of Moreno but they both share a similar build. Milner is the more physical of the two options, but as we mentioned earlier lacks the speed and experience at the position. I think Robertsons ability to push the ball forward and tackling are both underrated. His tackle against Mane last season changed the complexion of our game and led to a crucial goal. Milner has the edge on passing but I think Robertson is still improving in this area

Milner is a make shift LB, but he does bring good things to the pitch at the position and having his leadership on the pitch is a plus. Robertson is the more complete player at the position  and IMO more ready for CL football at LB.

As far as Milner teaching Robertson I just wonder, what does he teach him that he can't teach him from training or the bench? If anything Robertson could show Jimmy a few things being a natural LB and all.

I sure hope you're right. Personally I think Milner will start the season at left back. I think he slowed up towards the end of the season (like the whole squad in fairness) and while he has his limitations he did a solid job overall last season and probably deserves the starting spot at left back.

Btw - have you played your baseball game outside old Wilmer McLean's farmhouse yet? How did it go?! :P
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #68: Jul 19, 2017 12:15:41 am
      I'm not, but I am more interested in their actual footballing ability and ability to play at LB effectively rather than whether they are quick, strong or whether they play the game in the right way.
      Physical attributes mean nothing if you can't play at a good standard, just look at Moreno; rapid, good agility and fairly strong...yet he's complete garbage when it comes to defending or using the ball. But someone like Didi Hamann for example; made Heskey look quick, wasn't particularly agile, but yet he was a damn good player and could actually play football.

Point taken and I agree.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #69: Jul 19, 2017 12:19:15 am
      I sure hope you're right. Personally I think Milner will start the season at left back. I think he slowed up towards the end of the season (like the whole squad in fairness) and while he has his limitations he did a solid job overall last season and probably deserves the starting spot at left back.

Btw - have you played your baseball game outside old Wilmer McLean's farmhouse yet? How did it go?! :P

Played two weeks ago. As always it was a lot of fun. It was the first year my brother didn't play in it (he passed last fall) but my 4 year old went out there and played. He had a ball. Thanks for asking about it, really cool of ya.

Who knows if I am right on Robertson or not, we will in a year or so haha. I do think he has a nice skill set and can be a really underrated addition in a few years. Let's ALL hope I'm a genius and that I'm right 😉
      crouchinho
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,181 posts | 2457 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #70: Jul 19, 2017 12:26:07 am

That right footed midfielder is better than the left footed LB currently at the club :D

I've never seen Robbo play (who would go out of their way to watch Hull?) so if he does sign he gets a clean slate. His profile sounds like what we're missing. Let's see if he can show it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,006 posts | 3100 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #71: Jul 19, 2017 12:02:24 pm
      heimdall

• 7,778 posts | 1590 
      Reply #72: Jul 19, 2017 12:07:36 pm

About time seems like this one has been hanging around for a long time. i think he will slot straight in as our LB with Milner alternating between LB and DM
      Robby The Z
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,005 posts | 590 
      Reply #73: Jul 19, 2017 03:48:52 pm
      About time seems like this one has been hanging around for a long time. i think he will slot straight in as our LB with Milner alternating between LB and DM

As with every transfer (and by "every" I mean "every"), the performance on the park will determine whether it is a good deal or not. I am not bothered by it only being 10 million just like I don't celebrate when we're listed as the top 10 or 20 or whatever it is richest clubs in the world. We have the capacity to spend, I get it. But if a player bought for less turns out to be a huge asset, that is OK too. How they contribute to the cause is what matters.

I've read some positive reviews on this player by some people whose opinions I respect, so I'm willing to give him a chance. Just as with our big-money signings, if they don't perform, people won't be happy. If they do, they will.

Transfer windows are about navigating through many moving pieces to make the team better. One of those pieces is good scouting. Another is financial commitment. Time will tell.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,914 posts | 1048 
      Reply #74: Jul 19, 2017 03:52:12 pm

Milner is many things.

But a DM is not one of them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #75: Jul 19, 2017 04:00:59 pm

Or more like the two of them will fight it out for the left-back position. Klopp has hardly used Milner in midfield and I can't see him starting now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      Reply #76: Jul 19, 2017 04:49:44 pm
      I'll be amazed if Robertson isn't first choice.
      Me too; unless we sign him and someone else.

Put it like this; if he's not better than James [at LB] then we really shouldn't be signing him. And...  if he is better then surely, by default, he starts. 😎

heimdall

• 7,778 posts | 1590 
      Reply #77: Jul 19, 2017 08:24:42 pm
      Milner is many things.

But a DM is not one of them.

out of interest what is Milner's natural position, I've actually forgotten
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,497 posts | 59 
      Reply #78: Jul 20, 2017 01:09:36 am
      Let's hope he turns out to be that shrewd signing that VVD from Celtic and Keita from RBS could have been.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,950 posts | 185 
      • do do do
      Reply #79: Jul 20, 2017 05:50:54 am
      Let's hope he turns out to be that shrewd signing that VVD from Celtic and Keita from RBS could have been.

on that logic don't you think it would've been a shrewd signing if we picked up straight up from Dundee? that's why those comparisons never work, i mean Celtic's price for us to get VvD wouldn't have been the same as Southampton because we are a far bigger club.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,225 posts | 2958 
      Reply #80: Jul 20, 2017 08:00:01 am
      out of interest what is Milner's natural position, I've actually forgotten

Out on the right isn't it?
      Funnily enough though, even though we can't carry on having him as a 1st choice LB, I really can't see where else he could fit into the team and who he could replace further up the pitch. If he's not at LB he has to be on the bench IMO.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,382 posts | 1232 
      Reply #81: Jul 20, 2017 09:47:44 am
      Can't say I am interested in Robertson. I think we should be enquiring about Marcel Schmelzer to see if he would cost much. He is 29 but would be well worth paying 20m if we can get a couple of seasons from him. Doubt he would leave Dortmund being their captain though, but who knows... he might want a go in the premier league before hanging his boots up. He is probably one of the best left backs in the world and it goes unnoticed.
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017 09:52:28 am by Ribapuru »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,914 posts | 1048 
      Reply #82: Jul 20, 2017 10:25:37 am
      Can't say I am interested in Robertson. I think we should be enquiring about Marcel Schmelzer to see if he would cost much. He is 29 but would be well worth paying 20m if we can get a couple of seasons from him. Doubt he would leave Dortmund being their captain though, but who knows... he might want a go in the premier league before hanging his boots up. He is probably one of the best left backs in the world and it goes unnoticed.

Too late.

We're signing Robertson.

I think he'll be a boss signing as well.
      trebor12
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts | 60 
      Reply #83: Jul 20, 2017 11:14:30 am
      I think he could be a starter for us. He'll be a natural left footer putting in 1st time crosses rather than checking onto his right foot and doing it. Plus this gives options with milner also and no doubt Klopp will be monitoring Flanno aswell.
      heimdall

• 7,778 posts | 1590 
      Reply #84: Jul 20, 2017 11:41:43 am
      Out on the right isn't it?
      Funnily enough though, even though we can't carry on having him as a 1st choice LB, I really can't see where else he could fit into the team and who he could replace further up the pitch. If he's not at LB he has to be on the bench IMO.

I can remember a few games where he played alongside Henderson and we were absolutely static in midfield, zero creativity, I don't want to EVER see that again, no he's backup LB, DM at a push.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,143 posts | 1343 
      Reply #85: Jul 20, 2017 03:39:06 pm
      Courtesy of @Liddellpool on Twitter:

Robby The Z
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,005 posts | 590 
      Reply #86: Jul 20, 2017 04:32:00 pm
      The looks on their faces as if they've found Dreamland.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #87: Jul 20, 2017 05:01:58 pm
      Welcome to club lad he get my support think he good player as well for money that we paid and we seem win things when we got scot in team welcome one best clubs in world lad
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 210 
      Reply #88: Jul 20, 2017 08:42:14 pm
      Excited to have Andy Rob on the roster. I have been pushing this with the very few Reds fan I know hear in the states and on here since I joined. I'll own it if he sucks and doesn't take over for Milner half through the season, but I love this hire and I feel the money makes it an even better grab. If he continues to grow as a passer I think he will be great get. Good on the tackle, pushes the ball forward really well, underrated with the dribble, and seems smart at the position. Welcome to Anfield

YNWA
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,647 posts | 206 
      Reply #89: Jul 20, 2017 09:56:42 pm
      Very good signing . Time to develop will be so much better attacking especially when teams play narrow. My only worry is he has nothing to hit with his crosses
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #90: Jul 20, 2017 10:04:14 pm
      And here's to you andy Robertson
      J├╝rgen loves you more than you could know.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,473 posts | 579 
      Reply #91: Jul 20, 2017 10:06:47 pm
      Proper Scots name that.

Don't know a great deal about him tbh but hopefully he can be a solid 8/10 player at LB for many years to come. We've needed one for quite a while now.

Since Riise there's been Aurelio (injuries), Warnock, Insua, Dossena, Konchesky, Cissokho, Enrique, Milner and f*ck knows who else.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 208 posts | 60 
      Reply #92: Jul 20, 2017 10:42:23 pm
      I long for the days of a reliable LB. I don't mind if he doesn't bomb forward, as long as he doesn't let any f**ker have a sniff when playing against him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,225 posts | 2958 
      Reply #93: Jul 20, 2017 10:43:55 pm
      Insua, Dossena, Konchesky, Cissokho,

Good grief.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,473 posts | 579 
      Reply #94: Jul 20, 2017 11:07:13 pm

There was marauding Swiss legend Philip Degen as well but I think he was RB or 'flying' right wing back. For all our weaknesses it feels like we are almost sparkling 'clean' compared with before. Been a while since we signed a proper donkey.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,225 posts | 2958 
      Reply #95: Jul 20, 2017 11:25:32 pm
      There was marauding Swiss legend Philip Degen as well but I think he was RB or 'flying' right wing back. For all our weaknesses it feels like we are almost sparkling 'clean' compared with before. Been a while since we signed a proper donkey.

Yeah he was a RB. Think the least said about this the better. F**k, well, I'd like to think Robertson will at least be better than that bunch of clowns.
      crouchinho
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,181 posts | 2457 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #96: Jul 21, 2017 12:26:33 am
      Since Riise there's been Aurelio (injuries), Warnock, Insua, Dossena, Konchesky, Cissokho, Enrique, Milner and f*ck knows who else.

I will not have Andrea Dossena's name dragged through the mud.

Forever a hero in my eyes.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #97: Jul 21, 2017 12:29:20 am

Goals against the mancs and real madrid
      higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,205 posts | 242 
      Reply #98: Jul 21, 2017 09:54:12 am

He had a great week to be fair to him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,049 posts | 1488 
      Reply #99: Jul 21, 2017 10:00:21 am
      Goals against the mancs and real madrid

And didn't he enjoy that goal against Manure.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,373 posts | 1494 
      Reply #100: Jul 21, 2017 10:04:42 am
      And didn't he enjoy that goal against Manure.

He wasn't the only one
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,049 posts | 1488 
      Reply #101: Jul 21, 2017 10:42:01 am

No seeing as there was 3 other goals scored by our lads.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,623 posts | 2131 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #102: Jul 21, 2017 12:16:28 pm
      I would kill to have him be another Steve Finnan. It's what we've needed on the left for years.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,914 posts | 1048 
      Reply #103: Jul 21, 2017 12:20:17 pm
      I would kill to have him be another Steve Finnan. It's what we've needed on the left for years.

Only he was a right back ;)
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 777 posts | 58 
      Reply #104: Jul 21, 2017 12:24:55 pm
      Vegard heggem?
      heimdall

• 7,778 posts | 1590 
      Reply #105: Jul 21, 2017 12:50:11 pm

Such a shame with Vegard, he showed so much promise but got injuries which cut short his career.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,623 posts | 2131 
      Reply #106: Jul 21, 2017 02:39:31 pm

That's why I said we need that on the left ;)
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,623 posts | 2131 
      Reply #107: Jul 21, 2017 02:40:05 pm
      Such a shame with Vegard, he showed so much promise but got injuries which cut short his career.

I feel the same about Steven Warnock and Martin Kelly. Hope Flano doesn't fall to the same fate.
      Pear
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 39 
      • S8G
      Reply #108: Jul 21, 2017 04:01:39 pm
      BREAKING NEWS

Liverpool have confirmed the signing of left-back Andrew Robertson from Hull.

Sky Sports
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 632 posts | 49 
      Reply #109: Jul 21, 2017 04:08:29 pm
      Confirmed in the offal
      Pear
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 39 
      • S8G
      Reply #110: Jul 21, 2017 04:12:23 pm
      J├╝rgen Klopp has been singing the praises of Andrew Robertson...

"For Andrew this is another big step on what has been a quite incredible personal journey in a very short space of time," he told the club website.

"I love his story; where we has come from professionally to reach this point. "When you speak to him it is clear why he makes his progress. He has a burning love for playing football - he really loves the game.

"His attitude is outstanding - absolutely outstanding. His talent and skills - also very, very good.

"He has experience of this competition, the Premier League, and he has the mentality and quality to get even better. I know our environment will benefit him and help him push himself even more than he has already. This is a player who does not limit his ambition."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,778 posts | 3420 
      Reply #111: Jul 21, 2017 04:18:45 pm
      Yeah he was a RB. Think the least said about this the better. F**k, well, I'd like to think Robertson will at least be better than that bunch of clowns.

Hopefully he's as good as the last Scottish player to play left-back for us.

Steve Nicol, he did alright!!
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,497 posts | 59 
      Reply #112: Jul 21, 2017 06:25:54 pm
      Welcome Andrew to the biggest club in the world. Make us proud!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,388 posts | 206 
      Reply #113: Jul 21, 2017 06:29:24 pm
      Interesting he is given #26! Thought Sakho will lose #3 once he signs

Quick Reply