Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Andrew Robertson : Hull FC

Read 30914 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Re: Andrew Robertson : Hull FC
      Reply #46: Jul 18, 2017 10:22:24 am
      The crazy thing is there are people on here who want us to buy VVD, Keita, and still feel that FSG are screwing us on mid level LB like Andy. When you factor in Salah what else could you want/hope for REALISTICALLY? If we are to go after big boy transfers like Keita and VVD than Robertson makes PERFECT sense. A good quality LB with EPL experience, upgraded speed and size for the position, and for a fraction of the cost as the other aforementioned players. Not that it matters, but I'm happy with this signing. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #47: Jul 18, 2017 10:36:03 am
      The crazy thing is there are people on here who want us to buy VVD, Keita, and still feel that FSG are screwing us on mid level LB like Andy. When you factor in Salah what else could you want/hope for REALISTICALLY? If we are to go after big boy transfers like Keita and VVD than Robertson makes PERFECT sense. A good quality LB with EPL experience, upgraded speed and size for the position, and for a fraction of the cost as the other aforementioned players. Not that it matters, but I'm happy with this signing. 

I agree, you don't have to always pay top dollar in every position, is this lad the best LB in the world No, but can he become the best, who knows, can he become a better player under Klopp and his coaching staff and playing with better players, most definitely.
      In our recent past we have some excellent examples of buying players who have developed into sensational players for us, Hyppia would be the main one I'm thinking of but you could also include Mascherano, Suarez and Couts at a stretch, none of them were top dollar purchases but developed into superb top class players.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #48: Jul 18, 2017 11:00:24 am
      Do we need a world class LB, it would be nice of course but this position is not going to dictate our season.

A decent reliable back up to Jimmy.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #49: Jul 18, 2017 11:03:44 am
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #50: Jul 18, 2017 12:26:18 pm
      Do we need a world class LB, it would be nice of course but this position is not going to dictate our season.

A decent reliable back up to Jimmy.

Not so sure he won't take over in the near future. We will need his speed in the CL
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #51: Jul 18, 2017 12:32:54 pm
      Not so sure he won't take over in the near future. We will need his speed in the CL

I don't think he will replace Milner in the coming season but yeah give him a season or 2 and once he settles in why not.

After all it can't be that difficult to play LB for him cf to Milner  :D

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #52: Jul 18, 2017 01:48:53 pm
      I don't think he will replace Milner in the coming season but yeah give him a season or 2 and once he settles in why not.

After all it can't be that difficult to play LB for him cf to Milner  :D

Are you seriously suggesting that Milner, a right footed midfielder, is better as LB than a player who is a left footed LB??
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #53: Jul 18, 2017 03:28:04 pm
      Are you seriously suggesting that Milner, a right footed midfielder, is better as LB than a player who is a left footed LB??

I'm just saying what Klopp has hinted.

Obviously not the bit about Jimmy being a mediocre LB  :lmao:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #54: Jul 18, 2017 06:14:45 pm
      I hope if we sign him he slots straight into the team as 1st choice and proves to be worth it but to be honest, this isn't  filling me with much confidence and I still see us starting the season with Milner at LB, which if we do, then it doesn't look good for Robertson if we are paying 10mill for an actual LB but yet not one good enough to be ahead of a player there out of position.

Would have liked us to have gone for Ricardo Rodriguez, think he could have been boss but will have to see how this goes instead.

Hope I am proved completely wrong.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #55: Jul 18, 2017 09:09:58 pm
      I hope if we sign him he slots straight into the team as 1st choice and proves to be worth it but to be honest, this isn't  filling me with much confidence and I still see us starting the season with Milner at LB, which if we do, then it doesn't look good for Robertson if we are paying 10mill for an actual LB but yet not one good enough to be ahead of a player there out of position.

Would have liked us to have gone for Ricardo Rodriguez, think he could have been boss but will have to see how this goes instead.

Hope I am proved completely wrong.

I like Milner as much as any.  I think he is a consummate pro who handles himself with class and dignity. He has an incredible work rate and plays the game the right way. He is a team guy who will do anything to help the team. With that said look at it like this. Robertson is younger, bigger, faster, a natural LB, and is left foot dominat. I like the move because with all the football to be played we have good options for all games at left back. But in my limited opinion I just see us needing more speed on the pitch in champions league games, especially if we don't upgrade at CB. Robertson brings that over Milner.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #56: Jul 18, 2017 09:42:38 pm
      I'll be amazed if Robertson isn't first choice. He's better than any full back currently at the club.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #57: Jul 18, 2017 09:49:17 pm
      I'll be amazed if Robertson isn't first choice. He's better than any full back currently at the club.

I kind of lean the other way; I think for this year he is there to save Milner's legs.

He may not be the best full back out there but Milner's not going to hurt you (like a moreno) He might not be a 10/10 but your not going to see a 2/10 out of him. I think the manager appreciates his intangibles, work ethic and his game mind. Add that to the fact he is about the only member of this squad that has won anything and that's why he want's him involved and on the pitch.

There might be a lot of advantages to playing Robertson over Milner but at the same time he could learn a lot from James and I reckon the manager thinks so too.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #58: Jul 18, 2017 09:57:23 pm
      I kind of lean the other way; I think for this year he is there to save Milner's legs.

He may not be the best full back out there but Milner's not going to hurt you (like a moreno) He might not be a 10/10 but your not going to see a 2/10 out of him. I think the manager appreciates his intangibles, work ethic and his game mind. Add that to the fact he is about the only member of this squad that has won anything and that's why he want's him involved and on the pitch.

There might be a lot of advantages to playing Robertson over Milner but at the same time he could learn a lot from James and I reckon the manager thinks so too.

You may be right AZ.......I just believe a lot of people will be surprised what a talent this kid is.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #59: Jul 18, 2017 10:01:11 pm
      Maybe right AZ I just believe a lot of people will be surprised what a talent this kid is.

I agree...think he has loads of talent; what he has really lacked is having a manager spend time with him, Steve Bruce is not exactly the type to coach kids up and he has moved around alot....A year with Jürgen working on the defensive side of his game while learning some from Milner will do worlds of good.

Both Milner and Clyne got run into the ground last year and you could tell during the stretch run the legs were gone on both of them...with Robertson & TAA in the mix now all 4 players should benefit.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #60: Jul 18, 2017 10:32:29 pm
      I like Milner as much as any.  I think he is a consummate pro who handles himself with class and dignity. He has an incredible work rate and plays the game the right way. He is a team guy who will do anything to help the team. With that said look at it like this. Robertson is younger, bigger, faster, a natural LB, and is left foot dominat. I like the move because with all the football to be played we have good options for all games at left back. But in my limited opinion I just see us needing more speed on the pitch in champions league games, especially if we don't upgrade at CB. Robertson brings that over Milner.

So you like Milner because he is a good professional, hard worker etc but say nothing about his ability to play at LB, which is limited.
      You like Robertson because he gives us more pace but make no reference to his actual ability either. If this is the only way of looking at it, more pace on the pitch, then we may as well stick with Moreno because he's rapid.

Having Robertson and a make shift player at LB isn't having good options. I'd be a bit concerned if we come up against a damn good team in Europe with that as our options.

We will see with Robertson, he will either prove a few doubters, like myself, completely wrong which I hope is the case. Or he will be another Moreno.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #61: Jul 18, 2017 10:59:14 pm
      So you like Milner because he is a good professional, hard worker etc but say nothing about his ability to play at LB, which is limited.
      You like Robertson because he gives us more pace but make no reference to his actual ability either. If this is the only way of looking at it, more pace on the pitch, then we may as well stick with Moreno because he's rapid.

Having Robertson and a make shift player at LB isn't having good options. I'd be a bit concerned if we come up against a damn good team in Europe with that as our options.

We will see with Robertson, he will either prove a few doubters, like myself, completely wrong which I hope is the case. Or he will be another Moreno.

I didn't know u were so keen on me breaking down the skill set on Andy Rob, but since u asked I'll give u my bar stool opinion 😂

U mentioned both Milner and Moreno in your post and I think Robertson is sort of a happy medium of the two. He doesn't have the athleticism of Moreno but they both share a similar build. Milner is the more physical of the two options, but as we mentioned earlier lacks the speed and experience at the position. I think Robertsons ability to push the ball forward and tackling are both underrated. His tackle against Mane last season changed the complexion of our game and led to a crucial goal. Milner has the edge on passing but I think Robertson is still improving in this area

Milner is a make shift LB, but he does bring good things to the pitch at the position and having his leadership on the pitch is a plus. Robertson is the more complete player at the position  and IMO more ready for CL football at LB.

As far as Milner teaching Robertson I just wonder, what does he teach him that he can't teach him from training or the bench? If anything Robertson could show Jimmy a few things being a natural LB and all.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #62: Jul 18, 2017 11:31:56 pm
      I didn't know u were so keen on me breaking down the skill set on Andy Rob, but since u asked I'll give u my bar stool opinion 😂

I'm not, but I am more interested in their actual footballing ability and ability to play at LB effectively rather than whether they are quick, strong or whether they play the game in the right way.
      Physical attributes mean nothing if you can't play at a good standard, just look at Moreno; rapid, good agility and fairly strong...yet he's complete garbage when it comes to defending or using the ball. But someone like Didi Hamann for example; made Heskey look quick, wasn't particularly agile, but yet he was a damn good player and could actually play football.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #63: Jul 19, 2017 12:09:58 am

U mentioned both Milner and Moreno in your post and I think Robertson is sort of a happy medium of the two. He doesn't have the athleticism of Moreno but they both share a similar build. Milner is the more physical of the two options, but as we mentioned earlier lacks the speed and experience at the position. I think Robertsons ability to push the ball forward and tackling are both underrated. His tackle against Mane last season changed the complexion of our game and led to a crucial goal. Milner has the edge on passing but I think Robertson is still improving in this area

Milner is a make shift LB, but he does bring good things to the pitch at the position and having his leadership on the pitch is a plus. Robertson is the more complete player at the position  and IMO more ready for CL football at LB.

As far as Milner teaching Robertson I just wonder, what does he teach him that he can't teach him from training or the bench? If anything Robertson could show Jimmy a few things being a natural LB and all.

I sure hope you're right. Personally I think Milner will start the season at left back. I think he slowed up towards the end of the season (like the whole squad in fairness) and while he has his limitations he did a solid job overall last season and probably deserves the starting spot at left back.

Btw - have you played your baseball game outside old Wilmer McLean's farmhouse yet? How did it go?! :P
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #64: Jul 19, 2017 12:15:41 am
      I'm not, but I am more interested in their actual footballing ability and ability to play at LB effectively rather than whether they are quick, strong or whether they play the game in the right way.
      Physical attributes mean nothing if you can't play at a good standard, just look at Moreno; rapid, good agility and fairly strong...yet he's complete garbage when it comes to defending or using the ball. But someone like Didi Hamann for example; made Heskey look quick, wasn't particularly agile, but yet he was a damn good player and could actually play football.

Point taken and I agree.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #65: Jul 19, 2017 12:19:15 am
      I sure hope you're right. Personally I think Milner will start the season at left back. I think he slowed up towards the end of the season (like the whole squad in fairness) and while he has his limitations he did a solid job overall last season and probably deserves the starting spot at left back.

Btw - have you played your baseball game outside old Wilmer McLean's farmhouse yet? How did it go?! :P

Played two weeks ago. As always it was a lot of fun. It was the first year my brother didn't play in it (he passed last fall) but my 4 year old went out there and played. He had a ball. Thanks for asking about it, really cool of ya.

Who knows if I am right on Robertson or not, we will in a year or so haha. I do think he has a nice skill set and can be a really underrated addition in a few years. Let's ALL hope I'm a genius and that I'm right 😉
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #66: Jul 19, 2017 12:26:07 am

That right footed midfielder is better than the left footed LB currently at the club :D

I've never seen Robbo play (who would go out of their way to watch Hull?) so if he does sign he gets a clean slate. His profile sounds like what we're missing. Let's see if he can show it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #67: Jul 19, 2017 12:02:24 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Jul 19, 2017 12:07:36 pm

About time seems like this one has been hanging around for a long time. i think he will slot straight in as our LB with Milner alternating between LB and DM

Quick Reply