Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Andrew Robertson : Hull FC

Read 30915 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Andrew Robertson : Hull FC
      Reply #69: Jul 19, 2017 03:48:52 pm
      About time seems like this one has been hanging around for a long time. i think he will slot straight in as our LB with Milner alternating between LB and DM

As with every transfer (and by "every" I mean "every"), the performance on the park will determine whether it is a good deal or not. I am not bothered by it only being 10 million just like I don't celebrate when we're listed as the top 10 or 20 or whatever it is richest clubs in the world. We have the capacity to spend, I get it. But if a player bought for less turns out to be a huge asset, that is OK too. How they contribute to the cause is what matters.

I've read some positive reviews on this player by some people whose opinions I respect, so I'm willing to give him a chance. Just as with our big-money signings, if they don't perform, people won't be happy. If they do, they will.

Transfer windows are about navigating through many moving pieces to make the team better. One of those pieces is good scouting. Another is financial commitment. Time will tell.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #70: Jul 19, 2017 03:52:12 pm
      About time seems like this one has been hanging around for a long time. i think he will slot straight in as our LB with Milner alternating between LB and DM

Milner is many things.

But a DM is not one of them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #71: Jul 19, 2017 04:00:59 pm

Or more like the two of them will fight it out for the left-back position. Klopp has hardly used Milner in midfield and I can't see him starting now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #72: Jul 19, 2017 04:49:44 pm
      I'll be amazed if Robertson isn't first choice.
      Me too; unless we sign him and someone else.

Put it like this; if he's not better than James [at LB] then we really shouldn't be signing him. And...  if he is better then surely, by default, he starts. 😎

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #73: Jul 19, 2017 08:24:42 pm
      Milner is many things.

But a DM is not one of them.

out of interest what is Milner's natural position, I've actually forgotten
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #74: Jul 20, 2017 01:09:36 am
      Let's hope he turns out to be that shrewd signing that VVD from Celtic and Keita from RBS could have been.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #75: Jul 20, 2017 05:50:54 am
      Let's hope he turns out to be that shrewd signing that VVD from Celtic and Keita from RBS could have been.

on that logic don't you think it would've been a shrewd signing if we picked up straight up from Dundee? that's why those comparisons never work, i mean Celtic's price for us to get VvD wouldn't have been the same as Southampton because we are a far bigger club.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #76: Jul 20, 2017 08:00:01 am
      out of interest what is Milner's natural position, I've actually forgotten

Out on the right isn't it?
      Funnily enough though, even though we can't carry on having him as a 1st choice LB, I really can't see where else he could fit into the team and who he could replace further up the pitch. If he's not at LB he has to be on the bench IMO.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #77: Jul 20, 2017 09:47:44 am
      Can't say I am interested in Robertson. I think we should be enquiring about Marcel Schmelzer to see if he would cost much. He is 29 but would be well worth paying 20m if we can get a couple of seasons from him. Doubt he would leave Dortmund being their captain though, but who knows... he might want a go in the premier league before hanging his boots up. He is probably one of the best left backs in the world and it goes unnoticed.
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017 09:52:28 am by Ribapuru »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #78: Jul 20, 2017 10:25:37 am
      Can't say I am interested in Robertson. I think we should be enquiring about Marcel Schmelzer to see if he would cost much. He is 29 but would be well worth paying 20m if we can get a couple of seasons from him. Doubt he would leave Dortmund being their captain though, but who knows... he might want a go in the premier league before hanging his boots up. He is probably one of the best left backs in the world and it goes unnoticed.

Too late.

We're signing Robertson.

I think he'll be a boss signing as well.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #79: Jul 20, 2017 11:14:30 am
      I think he could be a starter for us. He'll be a natural left footer putting in 1st time crosses rather than checking onto his right foot and doing it. Plus this gives options with milner also and no doubt Klopp will be monitoring Flanno aswell.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #80: Jul 20, 2017 11:41:43 am
      Out on the right isn't it?
      Funnily enough though, even though we can't carry on having him as a 1st choice LB, I really can't see where else he could fit into the team and who he could replace further up the pitch. If he's not at LB he has to be on the bench IMO.

I can remember a few games where he played alongside Henderson and we were absolutely static in midfield, zero creativity, I don't want to EVER see that again, no he's backup LB, DM at a push.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #81: Jul 20, 2017 03:39:06 pm
      Courtesy of @Liddellpool on Twitter:

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #82: Jul 20, 2017 04:32:00 pm
      The looks on their faces as if they've found Dreamland.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #83: Jul 20, 2017 05:01:58 pm
      Welcome to club lad he get my support think he good player as well for money that we paid and we seem win things when we got scot in team welcome one best clubs in world lad
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #84: Jul 20, 2017 08:42:14 pm
      Excited to have Andy Rob on the roster. I have been pushing this with the very few Reds fan I know hear in the states and on here since I joined. I'll own it if he sucks and doesn't take over for Milner half through the season, but I love this hire and I feel the money makes it an even better grab. If he continues to grow as a passer I think he will be great get. Good on the tackle, pushes the ball forward really well, underrated with the dribble, and seems smart at the position. Welcome to Anfield

YNWA
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #85: Jul 20, 2017 09:56:42 pm
      Very good signing . Time to develop will be so much better attacking especially when teams play narrow. My only worry is he has nothing to hit with his crosses
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #86: Jul 20, 2017 10:04:14 pm
      And here's to you andy Robertson
      Jürgen loves you more than you could know.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #87: Jul 20, 2017 10:06:47 pm
      Proper Scots name that.

Don't know a great deal about him tbh but hopefully he can be a solid 8/10 player at LB for many years to come. We've needed one for quite a while now.

Since Riise there's been Aurelio (injuries), Warnock, Insua, Dossena, Konchesky, Cissokho, Enrique, Milner and f*ck knows who else.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #88: Jul 20, 2017 10:42:23 pm
      I long for the days of a reliable LB. I don't mind if he doesn't bomb forward, as long as he doesn't let any f**ker have a sniff when playing against him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #89: Jul 20, 2017 10:43:55 pm
      Insua, Dossena, Konchesky, Cissokho,

Good grief.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #90: Jul 20, 2017 11:07:13 pm

There was marauding Swiss legend Philip Degen as well but I think he was RB or 'flying' right wing back. For all our weaknesses it feels like we are almost sparkling 'clean' compared with before. Been a while since we signed a proper donkey.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #91: Jul 20, 2017 11:25:32 pm
      There was marauding Swiss legend Philip Degen as well but I think he was RB or 'flying' right wing back. For all our weaknesses it feels like we are almost sparkling 'clean' compared with before. Been a while since we signed a proper donkey.

Yeah he was a RB. Think the least said about this the better. F**k, well, I'd like to think Robertson will at least be better than that bunch of clowns.

Quick Reply