Trending Topics

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 293917 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #138: Jul 23, 2017 10:02:40 am
      Aye mate, hysterical fans with silly imaginations. There's no chance we sell our best player.

And talking about it will give people an excuse to keep peddling the story because it'll get clicks.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #139: Jul 23, 2017 10:04:24 am
      Excellent.

A message to everyone that. 😎

Exactly what I thought BBB.

Crystal from yon big German ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #140: Jul 23, 2017 10:36:48 am
      Excellent.

A message to everyone that. 😎

I think a message from John Henry along the lines of "What are they smoking over at Camp Nou?" wouldn't go amiss either.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #141: Jul 23, 2017 10:51:41 am
      Now some here  may question what I am about to write, but lets say for a moment it is true.... I see little difference between the roles that Coutinho and Firmino play in our squad, If that is the way the FSG also sees it don't be surprise if Coutinho is sold to Barca this window  if the price is nearer the £85m plus mark, after all it would fit with the FSG player philosophy and that maybe a deal for either VVD or Keita funds it's self...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #142: Jul 23, 2017 10:54:27 am
      Now some here  may question what I am about to write, but lets say for a moment it is true.... I see little difference between the roles that Coutinho and Firmino play in our squad, If that is the way the FSG also sees it don't be surprise if Coutinho is sold to Barca this window  if the price is nearer the £85m plus mark, after all it would fit with the FSG player philosophy and that maybe a deal for either VVD or Keita funds it's self...

Even if they did play similar roles (which I disagree with), you don't sell the better player in that position. That's not how you build a squad. You improve on what you've got. I sincerly doubt FSG will conscience his sale anyway because it would undermine Klopp so badly I could see the German walking. That's why I said above, a message directly from the ownership stating unequivocally that he will not be sold for any amount of money would go a long way not only in backing Jürgen, but also in settling down supporters.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #143: Jul 23, 2017 11:01:52 am
      I think a message from John Henry along the lines of "What are they smoking over at Camp Nou?" wouldn't go amiss either.

But that was only to let suitors know the offer was derisory mate and to come back with better.

That's the last thing we needed then and now. 😉
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2017 11:07:01 am by bad boy bubby »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #144: Jul 23, 2017 11:11:48 am

You're massively underestimating the pull that Klopp has with the owners. If he doesn't want Coutinho to be sold this summer and they're struggling to sign his top targets anyway then you can guarantee that Coutinho is going nowhere.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #145: Jul 23, 2017 11:16:45 am
      But that was only to let suitors know the offer was derisory mate and to come back with better.

That's the last thing we needed then and now. 😉

You missed my point. Read the other post.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #146: Jul 23, 2017 11:21:44 am
      Even if they did play similar roles (which I disagree with), you don't sell the better player in that position. That's not how you build a squad. You improve on what you've got. I sincerly doubt FSG will conscience his sale anyway because it would undermine Klopp so badly I could see the German walking.

I look it it from another point of view and that is that FSG run their Teams as business, and that (lets say) £90m from Barca maybe too much money for them to turn down, and on the Klopp point Yes I believe that FSG would like to keep him but at what cost (Money making on players included)...? Would there reach a point  where JWH and Co simple say "F**k Klopp he is standing in the way of us making profit" and look to replace him as manager...?

Business, especially American companies usually have some sort of non-disclosure clause in thier contracts to stop managers telling what is actually going on at the club and it would not surprise me in the least if that is the cast with Klopp, and If another club offered x percentage more than what LFC paid for him that he could be sold by the club without the manager's say so... 
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #147: Jul 23, 2017 11:37:24 am
      You're massively underestimating the pull that Klopp has with the owners. If he doesn't want Coutinho to be sold this summer and they're struggling to sign his top targets anyway then you can guarantee that Coutinho is going nowhere.
      Sorry mate just explained my think in a post below, then saw your post...

But continuing on from that post...
      If as some people suggest we play
                                                                       (a fit)
                                                        Salah    Sturridge    Mane

Firmino/Coutinho/Lallana/Grujic
                                                        Can/Milner       Henderson

that leaves Firmino/Coutinho/Lallana/Grujic all battling for the same position, which is good, gives the excuse to FSG that we can afford to let one go and the most profitable one would be Coutinho....

But hey this is all conjecture, but all i am offering is another way to look at things
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #148: Jul 23, 2017 11:40:30 am

I look it it from another point of view and that is that FSG run their Teams as business, and that (lets say) £90m from Barca maybe too much money for them to turn down, and on the Klopp point Yes I believe that FSG would like to keep him but at what cost (Money making on players included)...? Would there reach a point  where JWH and Co simple say "F**k Klopp he is standing in the way of us making profit" and look to replace him as manager...?

Business, especially American companies usually have some sort of non-disclosure clause in thier contracts to stop managers telling what is actually going on at the club and it would not surprise me in the least if that is the cast with Klopp, and If another club offered x percentage more than what LFC paid for him that he could be sold by the club without the manager's say so...

That economic argument doesn't stack up. You get almost £20 million from a last sixteen appearence in the Champions League (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we'll probably not win it next year ;)) and then anywhere upwards of £140 million for a top four place in the Premier League, you'd still be making a loss. Factor in loss of revenue from shirt sales, promontional gains not to mention the loss of face and your entire argument breaks down. This is what I've been banging on about for years and what FSG finally seem to have understood. The rewards for investment in a successful club are far greater than the rewards for player sales.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #149: Jul 23, 2017 12:31:21 pm
      You missed my point. Read the other post.

Did I? I must be stupid missing a point that wasn't made until a later post.  ;D  :-\

[A "what are they smoking?" message, from JWH, makes no F***ing difference if it's just to mock the amount offered]  ;)
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2017 01:25:06 pm by bad boy bubby »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #150: Jul 23, 2017 12:35:52 pm
      This is what I've been banging on about for years and what FSG finally seem to have understood. The rewards for investment in a successful club are far greater than the rewards for player sales.
      That remains to be seen mate
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #151: Jul 23, 2017 01:02:45 pm
      Did I? I must be stupid missing a point that wasn't made until a later post.  ;D  :-\

[A "what are they smoking?" message, from JWH, makes no f**king difference if it's just to mock the amount offered]  ;)

Don't be obtuse. The point is our ownership should send a clear message about not selling rather than Klopp sending the message alone. That just encourages a new bid. I would have thought that obvious regardless of the wording, given the context we're in. Unlike the Keita situation we need everyone at the club publicly (and privately) singing from the same hymn sheet.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #152: Jul 23, 2017 01:17:13 pm
      Don't be obtuse. The point is our ownership should send a clear message about not selling.
      "Obtuse", "missing the point"?... 

I have made it clear three times now that a repeat of the JWH "what are they smoking?" message (the one you specifically referenced/demanded) wouldn't make a F***ing difference because...

... it wasn't made to say 'Hands off at any price' just 'Hands off at that F***ing price'.

Crossed wires maybe and I apologise for that and not being clearer but F**k all obtuse about it 5t.  :laugh:

In short: for me, Jürgen's message carries more weight than anything JWH could say.  ;)

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2017 01:27:06 pm by bad boy bubby »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,517 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #153: Jul 23, 2017 01:30:52 pm
      Don't be obtuse. The point is our ownership should send a clear message about not selling rather than Klopp sending the message alone. That just encourages a new bid. I would have thought that obvious regardless of the wording, given the context we're in. Unlike the Keita situation we need everyone at the club publicly (and privately) singing from the same hymn sheet.

Didn't Jürgen say ' he isn't for sale, it is my position,  it's the clubs position'  ?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #154: Jul 23, 2017 01:46:56 pm
      i don't think I have seen any chair at a club do that, maybe write them a letter​ to ask and if you are lucky it will be processed before January window.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #155: Jul 23, 2017 02:30:43 pm
      Every player has a price.  I'm not saying I want to sell Coutinho, but if he wants to go and we get an acceptable offer, then why not.  If it's straight cash, it's gotta be 120M or more.  If it includes a player, I think 90M + Gomes/Umtiti would suffice :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,517 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #156: Jul 23, 2017 02:38:34 pm
      Every player has a price.  I'm not saying I want to sell Coutinho, but if he wants to go and we get an acceptable offer, then why not.  If it's straight cash, it's gotta be 120M or more.  If it includes a player, I think 90M + Gomes/Umtiti would suffice :)

Andre gomes Jesus christ no
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #157: Jul 23, 2017 03:08:08 pm
      That economic argument doesn't stack up. You get almost £20 million from a last sixteen appearence in the Champions League (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we'll probably not win it next year ;)) and then anywhere upwards of £140 million for a top four place in the Premier League, you'd still be making a loss. Factor in loss of revenue from shirt sales, promontional gains not to mention the loss of face and your entire argument breaks down. This is what I've been banging on about for years and what FSG finally seem to have understood. The rewards for investment in a successful club are far greater than the rewards for player sales.

I'll only believe FSG have seen the light when the window is closed, and Keita and Van Dijk are standing next to Coutinho in the team photo. Until then they're just cowboys here for profit.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #158: Jul 23, 2017 03:20:10 pm
      Another point. Since we know that Klopp wants Coutinho to stay, if he is sold we'll know it's against Klopp's wishes. What would that day about how much control over transfers Jürgen really has?
      If course we'll get the old "he wanted to leave" mantra, but Jürgen has already came out and said that Coutinho is happy here.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #159: Jul 23, 2017 03:35:35 pm

Was boss before he moved to Barca.  He wouldn't be the first player to struggle there but excel elsewhere. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #160: Jul 23, 2017 04:28:49 pm
      Another point. Since we know that Klopp wants Coutinho to stay, if he is sold we'll know it's against Klopp's wishes. What would that day about how much control over transfers Jürgen really has?
      If course we'll get the old "he wanted to leave" mantra, but Jürgen has already came out and said that Coutinho is happy here.

As you point out mate there are issues that will be settled with the outcome of the Coutinho situation.
      I get the feeling that Jürgen is issuing a very subtle message to the owners.

Quick Reply