Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 287279 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #3864: Jan 06, 2018 03:26:19 pm
      Coutinho misses Liverpool trip as Barcelona beckon

Paul Joyce
      January 6 2018, 12:00pm, The Times

Coutinho, who missed Liverpoolā€™s most recent match against Everton, has been the subject of multiple big-money bids from Spanish giants Barcelona

Philippe Coutinho has opted out of a Liverpool trip to Dubai as he looks to push through a Ā£142m move to Barcelona.

The Brazilian remained behind as his teammates headed to the United Arab Emirates for a mini-break after their FA Cup third round win over Everton on Friday night.

Liverpool are continuing to make exhaustive attempts to persuade Coutinho to put off move to the Nou Camp until the summer, including pay hikes and other incentives, but so far the 25-year-old has resisted those overtures.

Coutinho ā€“ who missed the 2-1 victory over Everton with a thigh injury - remains intent on flying out to Barcelona at the earliest opportunity and there has been contact between the clubs, via the playerā€™s representatives.

Barcelona are proposing a package of Ā£142m, of which around Ā£36m would be made up of realistic add-ons, and are determined to sign Coutinho now rather than wait until the end of the season even though he is ineligible for the Champions League.

Throughout the latest instalment of a saga which began last August when the Catalan club had three different bids rejected, the last of which was for Ā£118m, Liverpool have refused to comment.

Their failure to reaffirm their stance from last summer when Coutinho was not for sale at any price is seen as significant and manager JĆ¼rgen Klopp said there was no update on the situation after the latest win over neighbours Everton.

Should Barcelona finally land their man, it would be the third biggest transfer in the world.

Neymar is the worldā€™s most expensive player at Ā£198m and his Paris St Germain team-mate, Kylian Mbappe, will become the second when his loan move turns into a permanent Ā£166m deal at the end of the season.

Little pr**k. No respect, he F***ing do one. Get rid.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #3865: Jan 06, 2018 03:29:04 pm
      Would be nice of the club to persuade him to stay till end of season, show some balls & tell Phil knuckle down end of season & do one then,if not we don't have to sell.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,704 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #3866: Jan 06, 2018 03:31:29 pm
      Sky said that Coutinho hasn't travel with the Liverpool players to Dubai training camp.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #3867: Jan 06, 2018 03:35:02 pm
      Why do we need to ā€œpersuadeā€ him to stay? If we want to keep him, we keep him, heā€™s under contract. Something fishy there.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #3868: Jan 06, 2018 03:45:00 pm
      Why do we need to ā€œpersuadeā€ him to stay? If we want to keep him, we keep him, heā€™s under contract. Something fishy there.

Yup doesnā€™t really make any sense at all.

Looks like he is gone after he missed the trip to the UAE so Iā€™m just hoping that we have a replacement lined up and are just waiting to get that deal done before letting him go.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #3869: Jan 06, 2018 03:50:30 pm
      I know mate I'm struggling to get my head around it. There's a few in there that go with the old adage of not keeping a player who doesn't want to be here but what was the point of standing firm in the summer and selling the lad on the back of his most impressive and consistent spell in the 5 years he's been here. Makes no sense from a football perspective. If we sell him and then fail to make seasons champions league serious questions will rightly be asked. Playing with fire here.

I just fear that it has come to a point where the water between the two parties is just too deep. We don't know which promises were made when he signed the new contract, we don't know what was said behind the scenes during the whole summer saga, ...

Nothing has changed since the summer, so Coutinho must be behaving really badly in the negotiations behind the scenes. We can say that we as a club hold all the cards in this situation, but clubs never do unfortunately. Contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on (or how does that saying go?).

It's pretty similar to the Van Dijk situation at Southampton and we're all too happy that he forced his move. We could indeed force him to stay, but we have no idea what the impact on his game will be. He has been playing well for the last few months, but will he still be after being denied his dream move twice in a few months? Van Dijk sucked in his last few months for Southampton. I can't see us selling him without having a plan in place to replace him though. So here's hoping...

Something has to be done at a higher level with regards to these longterm contracts and players refusing to play / pushing for a move this way. Not sure what, but surely this can't go on much longer. A contract should be a contract.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3871: Jan 06, 2018 04:47:49 pm
      Disgraceful from all angles. Hope he flopps like Torres at Chelsea.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #3872: Jan 06, 2018 04:48:54 pm

We better have some confirmation of signings coming our way right quick and in a hurry or FSG have crocked this up.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3873: Jan 06, 2018 04:50:53 pm
      We better have some confirmation of signings coming our way right quick and in a hurry or FSG have crocked this up.

Doubt it, really doubt it. VVD is probably the replacement  :f_wah:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #3874: Jan 06, 2018 04:53:44 pm
      142m? That's just absurd, on one hand we've  absolutely fleeced them...he's not worth that at all. But if we don't spend that money on incoming attacking players, then it doesn't matter. Klopp may have sanctioned him going but I guarantee he'll want replacements and I would have thought we'd have already had those lined up. If not we are screwed because now we'll get fleeced.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3875: Jan 06, 2018 04:59:25 pm
      January is sh*t isn't it?
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #3876: Jan 06, 2018 05:00:41 pm
      We don't need to sell him say FSG but let's do it in the middle of the season it's tasty money after all.

I really hate these cu*ts.

Not even annoyed or surprised anymore. I've done my arguing on here with fellow reds when they were all wanking over the deal for Virgil saying yes well done the owners finally spending out.....they are the real deal etc.

Enjoy because next year it's Salah and Firmino or Mane and it will continue until these cu*ts go.

Sign the deal but keep him until the summer would have been sensible but few pound notes and away they go.

F**k you.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Re: Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #3877: Jan 06, 2018 05:03:18 pm
      Cheerio then Phil thanks for the memories. This 140m needs to be reinvested sharpish
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #3878: Jan 06, 2018 05:03:49 pm

Every time I read something like this I'm puzzled as well mate.

We don't need to persuade him to any such thing as he's under a long term contract.

The only thing I can think of is that he has been causing trouble behind the scenes and JĆ¼rgen has had enough and gave the green light for the sale.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #3879: Jan 06, 2018 05:04:44 pm
      Done. We bend over and Barca has a good bang on us. I don't see how we win in this deal. We lose our playmaker for Pl and CL in the middle of the season. Yes, we get plenty of cash, but you can't tell me Cou & Barca couldn't or wouldn't want to wait 5 months. I feel raped and cream-pied. Or can anyone make sense of that deal for us?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #3880: Jan 06, 2018 05:06:23 pm
      Done. We bend over and Barca has a good bang on us. I don't see how we win in this deal. We lose our playmaker for Pl and CL in the middle of the season. Yes, we get plenty of cash, but you can't tell me Cou & Barca couldn't or wouldn't want to wait 5 months. I feel raped and cream-pied. Or can anyone make sense of that deal for us?

Klopp obviously tired of his crap. Dude....142m is a shedload of money. If it's spent well this could really push us forward. The "if" is what I'm worried about now. I trust Klopp to pick players....just not sure I trust that Edwards and Co. have got the deals done already.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3881: Jan 06, 2018 05:06:40 pm
      Adios to the weasel
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #3882: Jan 06, 2018 05:07:24 pm

Nope you have it spot on.

Get used to it as more will follow.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3883: Jan 06, 2018 05:08:12 pm
      Also Liverpool contacted Leicester to say that they don't want Mahrez... Why would we do that.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #3884: Jan 06, 2018 05:11:53 pm
      Klopp obviously tired of his crap. Dude....142m is a shedload of money. If it's spent well this could really push us forward. The "if" is what I'm worried about now. I trust Klopp to pick players....just not sure I trust that Edwards and Co. have got the deals done already.

If deals ARE done and we get players in here that Klopp has picked than we should all be excited. The development of Ox, Robbo, and Salah should have us all optimistic at what he can do with that much money. Phil didnā€™t want to be here anymore so I say good riddance. I think he will regret not being a part of what Klopp is going to build. Iā€™m done doubting the German Genius. FSG are behind him, and skyā€™s the limit IMO
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3885: Jan 06, 2018 05:12:08 pm
      Also Liverpool contacted Leicester to say that they don't want Mahrez... Why would we do that.

Donā€™t believe that for a second. Why would a team do that :laugh:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3886: Jan 06, 2018 05:14:04 pm
      Donā€™t believe that for a second. Why would a team do that :laugh:

Apparently the Leicester mercury has said they have no knowledge of this

Quick Reply