Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 283864 times
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #4071: Jan 07, 2018 04:28:58 pm
      What funny the most is, people on here say they still want to keep Daniel Sturridge with the hope he may help us through this season.
      And here, we have people who say they don't worry losing Coutinho.
      F**k me !

I’ve also heard people say woodburn can replace coutinho, or chamberlain. It’s getting really embarrassing to be honest.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4072: Jan 07, 2018 04:31:24 pm
      Eh F**k him long gone are the days I get attached to players (thanks Torres).

Lets just hope this doesn't distract us too much from the city game. 3 points after losing this c**t would send a hell of a message.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #4073: Jan 07, 2018 04:35:39 pm
      Can anyone in their right (or any other kind) of mind imagine Hazard or De Bruyne leaving their respective clubs mid season? Can next to go. Who next? Will we say no to ÂŁ150M for Salah?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4074: Jan 07, 2018 04:39:01 pm
      Don't be ridiculous Cou is a world class player entering his prime he's a massive loss.

We are now left with Lallana and Ox to fill the void left by Cou who are nowhere near his class.

You can find all the silver linings you want to mate but the bottom line is we are now a weaker team.

Sure VVD is quality and will improve us defensively but I guarantee we will struggle to score goals in games for the rest of the season.

Will we struggle in the way we have struggled in all the games where he hasn't played and where we have a higher win ratio? I think VVD will help massively defensively and that has been our weak point for a very long time. The loss of Couts will hardly be felt as we have plenty of high quality attacking options beside him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4075: Jan 07, 2018 04:41:00 pm
      Can ask Stevie to dust his boots....

In all seriousness Stevie was twice the midfielder Phil will ever be
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4076: Jan 07, 2018 04:41:37 pm
      Anyone that thinks the loss of countinho will hardly be noticed are in for a big shock these next few months, but they’ll probably do what most Liverpool fans seem to do and bury their head in the sand waiting till next summer and claim this year is our year, we need to wake up here guys, enough is enough and we deserve more.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #4077: Jan 07, 2018 04:44:04 pm
      Can anyone in their right (or any other kind) of mind imagine Hazard or De Bruyne leaving their respective clubs mid season? Can next to go. Who next? Will we say no to ÂŁ150M for Salah?

I'm not give a F**k about Can going.
      But if Salah keep his form throughout this season and also next season I will start worry about him (read somewhere R.Madrid want him already but at this moment I think it's just a clickbaits)
      But one thing for sure, In Klopp I (still) Trust !
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #4078: Jan 07, 2018 04:49:44 pm
      Anyone that thinks the loss of countinho will hardly be noticed are in for a big shock these next few months, but they’ll probably do what most Liverpool fans seem to do and bury their head in the sand waiting till next summer and claim this year is our year, we need to wake up here guys, enough is enough and we deserve more.

I think we’ll actually be ok without I just hate the precedent set. A marker has been laid whereby if you kick up enough of a fuss you’ll get your way. The club should have had some backbone and said under no circumstances are you going in January months ago so don’t even waste your energy. But of course there was a certain £75M to find for VVD
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4079: Jan 07, 2018 05:21:48 pm

I 100% guarantee you that if someone offered around ÂŁ150-160m for Hazard and he acted like how Couts did, ie agitating for a move away, then Chelsea would sell.
      There quite simply comes a point where there is no point in keeping an unhappy player in the club, especially if offered ÂŁ140m for him.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #4080: Jan 07, 2018 05:22:54 pm
      Your first post really has set the precedent hasn’t it? Didn’t need the subsequent 28 posts all repeating the same bs and referring to ‘Liverpool fans’ rather than ‘us’ or ‘we’. Either you’re not really a Liverpool fan and here to get a rise or a glass half empty kinda guy.
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4081: Jan 07, 2018 05:27:15 pm
      Your first post really has set the precedent hasn’t it? Didn’t need the subsequent 28 posts all repeating the same bs and referring to ‘Liverpool fans’ rather than ‘us’ or ‘we’. Either you’re not really a Liverpool fan and here to get a rise or a glass half empty kinda guy.

When it comes to these owners and the way the club is run I’m glass half empty because they’ve done nothing for us in terms of on the pitch success.

I’ll aupport the club but I will not support the owners decisions to destroy this team
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #4082: Jan 07, 2018 05:36:12 pm
      At the end of the day we bought him cheap he lit up the place for a couple of years and in my opinion was our best number 10 since Barnes and we have sold him for an absolute fortune not because we wanted to but because like Suarez and Mascherano before him he wanted to play in Spain.

I would be much more p***ed off with him if he had come in half a**ed it while he was here and jogged on on a free at the first opportunity like Can has and nobody seems to be calling him a c***.

Its been a bit of a pain all the speculation and the way he acted in the last few months has left a bit of a sour taste but overall Coutinho being here has been positive for the club and I for one wish him if not the best cos he is not a Liverpool player anymore at least no ill will anyway no one is bigger than the club YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4083: Jan 07, 2018 05:38:54 pm
      When it comes to these owners and the way the club is run I’m glass half empty because they’ve done nothing for us in terms of on the pitch success.

I’ll aupport the club but I will not support the owners decisions to destroy this team

Explain buying VVD, how does that destroy the team??
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4084: Jan 07, 2018 05:49:46 pm
      Explain buying VVD, how does that destroy the team??

1 step forward and 2 back

Not the best way to run a club
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4085: Jan 07, 2018 05:57:45 pm
      I’ve also heard people say woodburn can replace coutinho, or chamberlain. It’s getting really embarrassing to be honest.

The only thing embarrassing is your contribution to this site.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #4086: Jan 07, 2018 06:01:59 pm
      1 step forward and 2 back

Not the best way to run a club

Just leave
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #4087: Jan 07, 2018 06:10:13 pm
      I 100% guarantee you that if someone offered around ÂŁ150-160m for Hazard and he acted like how Couts did, ie agitating for a move away, then Chelsea would sell.
      There quite simply comes a point where there is no point in keeping an unhappy player in the club, especially if offered ÂŁ140m for him.

That's what people don't seem to understand. They make it look like Klopp offered Coutinho to Barcelona because he wanted to get rid off him. There's no way Coutinho would've been sold had he not acted like the little bi*ch he has been acting like since the summer window.

People can compare to other top players or other teams all they want. Fact is that none of the situations are comparable to the one we found ourselves in. Has Hazard come out and said he is refusing to play for his team? Has he faked multiple injuries? No, he is politely refusing to sign a new deal and not persuing a move until a team makes an offer. Same with the Keita situation and RB Leipzig. Is he acting like a bi*ch? Is he faking injuries? Is he refusing to play? Is he causing problems behind the scenes? None of that.

As you say, there comes a point where you have to decide between the well being of the whole squad and the club and the antics of one sulking individual. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Rumours now starting to come out that he has been causing trouble behind the scenes, acting like a whining little bi*ch in front of the whole team in the dressing room, faking multiple injuries, ... There's no point in keeping him around if it's starting to affect the other players. People can point to his contract and say that we should've just said no or put him with the U23's. Really? Had you been leading our club, is that really what you would have done? Watch one of your assets go down in value while the whole team suffers? Like it or not, there's a business side to football too and in the end it's the right business and team decision to offload him now.

He has shown his true colours, he can join the rest of the bunch of whinging and crying cu*ts like Pique, Alba and Busquets, he'll fit right in.
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4088: Jan 07, 2018 06:14:20 pm
      That's what people don't seem to understand. They make it look like Klopp offered Coutinho to Barcelona because he wanted to get rid off him. There's no way Coutinho would've been sold had he not acted like the little bi*ch he has been acting like since the summer window.

People can compare to other top players or other teams all they want. Fact is that none of the situations are comparable to the one we found ourselves in. Has Hazard come out and said he is refusing to play for his team? Has he faked multiple injuries? No, he is politely refusing to sign a new deal and not persuing a move until a team makes an offer. Same with the Keita situation and RB Leipzig. Is he acting like a bi*ch? Is he faking injuries? Is he refusing to play? Is he causing problems behind the scenes? None of that.

As you say, there comes a point where you have to decide between the well being of the whole squad and the club and the antics of one sulking individual. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Rumours now starting to come out that he has been causing trouble behind the scenes, acting like a whining little bi*ch in front of the whole team in the dressing room, faking multiple injuries, ... There's no point on keeping him around. People can point to his contract and say that we should've just said no or put him with the U23's. Really? Had you been leading our club, is that really what you would have done? Watch one of your assets go down in value while the whole team suffers? Like it or not, there's a business side to football too and in the end it's the right business and team decision to offload him now.

He has shown his true colours, he can join the rest of the bunch of whinging and crying cu*ts like Pique, Alba and Busquets, he'll fit right in.

I think countinho has beeen professional up to a certain point, given his all during his time here, after missing out in the summer he performed exceptional.

We will never know what goes on behind the scenes but our best players all seem to have a change of attitude after a few years here, but when you become a world class star you do have to ask yourself whether you want to challenge for honours or stay in a team that’s been building since 1990, putting in shift after shift creating and scoring goals only to see no rewards.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4089: Jan 07, 2018 07:57:51 pm
      Can't deny his desperation and determination to leave.

https://twitter.com/timessport/status/950083364375035904
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4090: Jan 07, 2018 08:07:17 pm
      Coutinho is a slag.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4091: Jan 07, 2018 08:39:57 pm

The inside story of Philippe Coutinho's Barcelona transfer, why JĂŒrgen Klopp wasn't desperate to keep him and where Liverpool go from here

The Brazilian has finally got his dream move leaving behind a club and a manager under more pressure than ever to deliver

Simon Hughes Sunday 7 January 2018

It’s happening again. No doubt there will be revelations over the next few days that disrobe the mask: exposing Philippe Coutinho’s truer self, making you think, ‘Glad he’s gone – better off without him.’ It is indeed accurate to say he is not the angel Liverpool perhaps more than any other organisation preferred to paint him as when signing fresh contracts over the years, because this a more serious character than the warm smiling child of Rio de Janeiro.

It seems significant that while last summer Fenway Sports Group issued denials in relation to the prospect of Coutinho being sold to Barcelona, it was left to JĂŒrgen Klopp to explain why it had eventually happened. And the key line from Klopp’s statement on Liverpool’s official website last night was this: “Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his teammates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.” The key word: “teammates.”

Liverpool’s players were getting ready for training last August at Melwood when Coutinho entered the changing room with an expression attached to his face, one that meant maybe he did not need to explain his intention to leave – though he did anyway in front of an entire squad. Only he knows whether the decision was made out of confidence or desperation but it ended up backfiring because it contributed towards Liverpool reinforcing their position.

The club had rejected each of Barcelona’s bids at the time. If this player got his way, others would know what to do when they wanted to go. Disrupt and meet your desires. Fenway by then had already publically stated he would not be released. To relent would be to encourage protests at their ownership, as Jamie Carragher pointed out. Maybe Fenway’s credibility would have been lost forever.

As The Independent revealed in September, Coutinho had been complaining of back pain and when a scan revealed nothing was wrong with him, it was decided then it was better to play along with the façade - publically at least - in an attempt to try and limit the attention around his behaviour and allow Liverpool’s season to begin with less disruption than there would have been otherwise.

Coutinho had placed Klopp in an uncomfortable position nevertheless, someone who positions harmony and trust between staff above ability and status. Football clubs are working environments like anywhere else in the sense that when someone doesn’t want to be there and lets it be known, chipping away, mood spreads quickly and productivity levels decrease. Others – friends – can also become unsettled.

Privately, Klopp was not against selling and moving on. It is a process he is not scared of, having seen Nuri Sahin join Real Madrid when he was Borussia Dortmund’s manager, before Mario Götze and Robert Lewandowski went to Bayern Munich with his blessing. He genuinely believes there are always solutions to be found – that players can always be replaced, if a manager is patient and he has the confidence of those above him, facilitating the necessary time to see his measures through. He can be absolutely certain of that at Liverpool.

Coutinho’s departure, though, brings enormous pressure on him: from Liverpool supporters, from rival supporters, from the traditional media, from social media. He will remember that while he traded Sahin for Ilkay GĂŒndoğan at Dortmund, that while Henrikh Mkhitaryan later came in for Götze successfully, Ciro Immobile failed when Lewandowski ran down his contract and within twelve months, Klopp was no longer Dortmund’s manager.

Perhaps, indeed, no sport as much as football makes unhealthy comparisons, detailing similarities as absolutes: drawing on stories set in one place and transposing them somewhere different because the environments are comparable.

Klopp should be aware by now that expectations at Liverpool are unique. Which other club in world football has dominated its domestic and continental scene before waiting 28 years for a league title? At Dortmund, the club had fallen far in a short space of time economically but it had won the Bundesliga six years before Klopp’s arrival. By the time Sahin went in 2011, Dortmund had already become champions again and so, the wider trust in him was total. At Liverpool, he is more than two years in and despite the clear progression made under his guidance, he has not won anything yet and Coutinho’s exit decreases the chances of that changing this season.

There might be a temptation to believe the deal smashes the perception that Klopp is a manager all players really want to work for but in reality, that was never the case: look at what happened at Dortmund. But for a few, the modern player is always willing to move, to try something new somewhere else. From Coutinho’s point of view, four years at a major club with no medals to show for it alone is a fair reason for looking elsewhere.

And so, it is how Klopp replaces the Brazilian and how quickly he operates that has the potential to determine whether Liverpool’s development under him continues. It has the potential to define his entire era in charge at Anfield.

It can be dangerous to look backwards for answers and reminders for the way things should really be but when Liverpool were the greatest club side in Europe, its success had been borne out of the ability to buy and sell effectively. Though this process has become harder because there are fewer secrets, the theory remains relevant. It has always been the length of time clubs keep good players for that defines what happens on the field.

Ian Rush became Liverpool’s greatest goalscorer but in 1983, he wanted to leave for Napoli when a £5million offer was made. It was reported then that Rush would improve his salary by six times but Bob Paisley and John Smith, the chairman, said, “No”. Rush didn’t speak to Smith for three months but scored 49 goals that season. He would eventually depart for Juventus four years later, but only when Liverpool were ready to let him go. Ultimately, this is a position Liverpool will need to return to if they wish to enjoy sustained success, never mind pockets of success: a position where they shape the market rather than react to it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/philippe-coutinho-liverpool-transfer-news-barcelona-JĂŒrgen-klopp-plans-january-transfer-window-a8146376.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4092: Jan 07, 2018 08:44:33 pm
      Quick one for the mods. Does this not need merging with his Ex Players and Staff thread?

Not sure which one to moan in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4093: Jan 07, 2018 09:20:19 pm
      Quick one for the mods. Does this not need merging with his Ex Players and Staff thread?

Not sure which one to moan in.

This one can actually be locked now, it was just initially his transfer board topic. Technically not completed his move yet but I can't see him suddenly having a change of heart.

Moan in this one - Coutinho (Liverpool > Barcelona)

Quick Reply