Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 297900 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,445 posts | 6432 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #483: Jul 31, 2017 02:41:32 pm
       Chris Bascombe‏Verified account @_ChrisBascombe 8m8 minutes ago
      Klopp on Coutinho (via a translated question): “He is not available to be sold. The word is NOT. There is nothing to interpet.”
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,547 posts | 3474 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #484: Jul 31, 2017 02:43:43 pm
      Klopp on Coutinho (via a translated question): “He is not available to be sold. The word is NOT. There is nothing to interpet.”

That's a no then
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #485: Jul 31, 2017 02:44:49 pm

Aye mate it all sounds good from Jürgen, exactly what we want to hear but I'd be more confident if I heard it from Werner or Henry. They were quick to pour cold water on the Suarez deal a few years ago.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #486: Jul 31, 2017 02:46:00 pm
      Why is everyone assuming that Couts is desperate to go to Barca, I'm not even convinced he'd be an automatic starter there.

Good point mate. I'd say he is probably very intrigued by the proposition of playing for a giant like Barca, but you're right, will he be an automatic first choice like he is with us? Fabregas found to his detriment that a move like the isn't necessarily good for your career.

However, Couts is still young and Barca might be looking at him thinking they could turn him into next Iniesta. It would be a massive gamble for Couts.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #487: Jul 31, 2017 02:46:18 pm
      Jürgen Klopp on Phil Coutinho: "He is NOT available for sale. There is no other interpretation of that."
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,345 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #488: Jul 31, 2017 02:57:17 pm
      The player is under contract, that is to say he under a legal obligation to adhere to said contract for the period specified.
      By mutual agreement the contract can be terminated with recompense to the club holding the contract.
      Undeclared negotiation or tapping up would seek to preclude the owning club, unethical and possibly illegal conduct.

There lies the difference between milkmen and multi-millionaire footballers.

Bloody he'll stuey, you been reading the dictionary  :lmao:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,547 posts | 3474 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #489: Jul 31, 2017 03:05:48 pm
      Aye mate it all sounds good from Jürgen, exactly what we want to hear but I'd be more confident if I heard it from Werner or Henry. They were quick to pour cold water on the Suarez deal a few years ago.

As jwh was in Germany over the weekend would like to think that it was a topic of conversation
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #490: Jul 31, 2017 03:11:51 pm
      Something that gets my goat about all of this - is the undercurrent/understanding that:
      1) of course every player (or every South American player) wants to go to Barca or Real.
      2) it's Ok if Phil leaves so long as we put it off until next season.

Shouldn't the goal of everyone associated with this club be that we return to that very highest tier of desirable destination clubs for the top footballers in the world? Our history is good enough in this respect, our potential/infrastructure/platform is good enough, we just need the leadership and direction and ambition to make it so.

Having one of the top managers in the world can also help with this and the plan seems to be to do it primarily through superior development, team-building, system-refining rather than buying everybody, with targeted buys to supplement this. I think that is the more sustainable approach, and I think the landscape is full of clubs that have been throwing a lot of money around and beating their chests about it, but actually have little to show for it. If we can start securing the best type of results, meaning trophies, we should be able to deal with any issue in transfers in and out. But we cannot be content with letting our best players leaves, regardless of the price (this year or next).

Whatever our posture is about transfers in, that HAS to be our approach to transfers out.
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2017 03:22:07 pm by Robby The Z »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #491: Jul 31, 2017 03:13:24 pm
      The player is under contract, that is to say he under a legal obligation to adhere to said contract for the period specified.
      By mutual agreement the contract can be terminated with recompense to the club holding the contract.
      Undeclared negotiation or tapping up would seek to preclude the owning club, unethical and possibly illegal conduct.

There lies the difference between milkmen and multi-millionaire footballers.

With his wife shagging exploits, John Terry at least did his best to try and narrow that difference.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,445 posts | 6432 
      Reply #492: Jul 31, 2017 03:13:51 pm

Sounds that way to me. Unlike RB Liepzig, it's kind of nice that we have (and really need) only one mouthpiece discussing our players comings and goings. If Jürgen says he's not for sale, then I'm confident he'll be here. And if he's not, it's obvious that it will not be done with Klopp's blessing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #493: Jul 31, 2017 03:23:56 pm
      If I was Jürgen I'd be in the ear of Firmino telling him to have a word with Phil to reassure him as in every pic we see Phil and Bobby look like mates.

Oh they absolutely are mate, I saw them out once in Alma De Cuba clearly loving each other's company, no Alberto or Lucas that time though which was a shame. Although Alberto could have been hiding behind anybody!

Agree with the way to approach it, think Bobby could definitely convince him to hang around a little longer. Hopefully though, just a word from Jürgen will be enough, he's pretty persuasive, a signing or two might go a long way also.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #494: Jul 31, 2017 03:24:55 pm
      Sounds that way to me. Unlike RB Liepzig, it's kind of nice that we have (and really need) only one mouthpiece discussing our players comings and goings. If Jürgen says he's not for sale, then I'm confident he'll be here. And if he's not, it's obvious that it will not be done with Klopp's blessing.

Agree with this, although I'm struck with how often he apparently has to say it. Direct quote from contract-holding team's manager > unsourced article from disreputable newspaper in pursuing team's country.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #495: Jul 31, 2017 03:40:21 pm
      ... the plan seems to be to do it primarily through superior development, team-building, system-refining rather than buying everybody, with targeted buys to supplement this. I think that is the more sustainable approach, and I think the landscape is full of clubs that have been throwing a lot of money around and beating their chests about it, but actually have little to show for it. If we can start securing the best type of results, meaning trophies, we should be able to deal with any issue in transfers in and out. But we cannot be content with letting our best players leaves, regardless of the price.

FSG got lucky with this fan - still, that said: nice attempt at a save with that last sentence. 🙄 😁

Still lmao at the "rather than buying everybody" speak - don't you mean "rather than buying top quality"?

How many of our current starting XI have we not bought FFS? 🤔

Because the truth is; we, (as sure as there's sh*t in a cat), bought plenty and it hasn't worked. Not in a "securing the best type of results, meaning trophies" type of way anyhow.

Still, that said, NESV investors will be happy even where [some of] us football fans aren't so all is not lost; right? 😁

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2017 03:46:06 pm by bad boy bubby »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #496: Jul 31, 2017 03:52:38 pm
      FSG got lucky with this fan - still, that said: nice attempt at a save with that last sentence. 🙄

Still lmao at "rather than buying everybody" - don't you mean "rather than buying top quality"?

Because the truth is; we, (as sure as there's sh*t in a cat), bought plenty and it hasn't worked. Not in a "securing the best type of results, meaning trophies" type of way anyhow.

Still, that said, NESV investors will be happy even where [some of] us football fans aren't so all is not lost; right? 😁

As posted earlier buddy, the paradox is that while the failure to sign acknowledged quality does not bode well for LFC, the owners with their questionable economic criteria, will be F***ing made up the dosh is still where they like it - keeping the shareholders happy in the process.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #497: Jul 31, 2017 04:03:37 pm
      He'd be a starter as replacement for Neymar.

Phil left, Suarez centre, Messi right!!

As a striker?? Couts is many things, but a striker he isn't
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #498: Jul 31, 2017 04:05:41 pm
      Ok I was actually agreeing with you on this but never mind, you strike me as the kind of person who would argue wit his own shadow!
      i agree with no difference between a club or player doing the tapping up, but Stuey raised a good point. Fifa have these rules due to contract obligations, as opposed to real life without such cobtacts in most instances.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #499: Jul 31, 2017 04:09:10 pm
      As posted earlier buddy, the paradox is that while the failure to sign acknowledged quality does not bode well for LFC, the owners with their questionable economic criteria, will be f**king made up the dosh is still where they like it - keeping the shareholders happy in the process.

Which shareholders? Are you saying I can buy shares in LFC, cool, which exchange is it listed on?

BTW can you please tell us how much money the owners have taken OUT of the club?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #500: Jul 31, 2017 04:12:43 pm
      As a striker?? Couts is many things, but a striker he isn't

So he didn't play on that side of the three for us last season and season before, coming in from left, scoring that goal in the Europa at OT ring any bells.

But that's where Barca would start him, where Neymar plays now!!

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #501: Jul 31, 2017 04:14:51 pm
      So he didn't play on that side of the three for us last season and season before, coming in from left, scoring that goal in the Europa at OT ring any bells.

But that's where Barca would start him, where Neymar plays now!!

Its certainly not where he plays best, I still don't count him as a striker, in the broadest definition of that position, in the same way as I would Mane or Salah and I doubt Barca do either.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #502: Jul 31, 2017 04:15:37 pm
      Which shareholders? Are you saying I can buy shares in LFC, cool, which exchange is it listed on?

BTW can you please tell us how much money the owners have taken OUT of the club?

All the ones snaffled up by H & G would be my guess.

Isn't that how they bought the club in the first place, FSG just bought them off H & G.

Which is why them other cu*ts were F***ing whinging over being swindled!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #503: Jul 31, 2017 04:16:43 pm
      Its certainly not where he plays best, I still don't count him as a striker, in the broadest definition of that position, in the same way as I would Mane or Salah and I doubt Barca do either.

I never said he played best there either, but that was were Klopp was playing him up until last couple of games of last season.

His best position for us has been more as a midfielder, playing centrally dictating the play.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #504: Jul 31, 2017 05:29:04 pm
      I never said he played best there either, but that was were Klopp was playing him up until last couple of games of last season.

His best position for us has been more as a midfielder, playing centrally dictating the play.
      Coutinho is not a centre forward. Neymar is. Coutinho is a winger or attacking midfielder. Surprised to need to explain that.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #505: Jul 31, 2017 06:04:35 pm
      Coutinho is not a centre forward. Neymar is. Coutinho is a winger or attacking midfielder. Surprised to need to explain that.

I don't think Cou is a winger at all he has little pace and the wing position negates his best attributes which are his incredible vision and passing.

He is a natural attacking midfielder and should only ever play centrally.

Quick Reply