Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 286015 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #2369: Aug 20, 2017 07:11:58 pm
      As you say mate there's plenty of meat on the bones of it, I tend to compare it with the likes of the Suarez debacle when Luis and his agent actively pushed the deal.
      Coutinho is muted on any possibilities while his agent, who does what agents do, seems to have been gagged.
      Call me an optimist or whatever but the signals to me say there is every chance he will stay.

I was about to say that no top flight replacement is in place but that is par for the course with this f**king crew so it really is irrelevant.
      He won't go, not because he doesn't have a price, but because they won't pay it. They have the money from Neymar sale yet they have not bid above 80m. Would you consider Pogba to be worth 10m more that Coutinho? I wouldn't! Add ons won't be activated and they know it. He will never get Ballon D'or. Fantastic player but he's no Zidane! Zidane had all the attacking qualities of Coutinho but put defensive work in too. I would imagine 75% of the add ons is "Winning multiple trophies and the Ballon D’Or in the same season." slimy b****ds!
      Coutinho leaves us a bit weak at the back, he can't win headers much because of his height. Can't remember him winning tackles much.. he is just basically brilliant passing from the back! For me he needs to be attacking midfielder because he doesn't have all the qualities for a playmaker.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2017 07:20:57 pm by Ribapuru »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2370: Aug 20, 2017 08:45:31 pm
      I expect Phil in the  squad for wednesday
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2371: Aug 20, 2017 08:51:24 pm
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #2372: Aug 20, 2017 08:53:50 pm

I hope so, but I think the earliest we'll see him is after the window shuts and he'll have to earn his spot back.  He'll certainly do that as the attacking side of the team has been built around him, but I think Klopp is a bit hurt by his desire to leave.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2373: Aug 20, 2017 08:59:49 pm
      I hope so, but I think the earliest we'll see him is after the window shuts and he'll have to earn his spot back.  He'll certainly do that as the attacking side of the team has been built around him, but I think Klopp is a bit hurt by his desire to leave.

The beauty for me in this is he cant go sulking from september 1 or play at 50%. He has to perform to make Brazils world cup squad. So lets either keep hold or hold on to get the deal we want. Problem with option b being no point having a wad of cash in the back pocket but not having the game changers on the pitch
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2374: Aug 20, 2017 09:00:35 pm

Doubt it. Can't see his back improving before the end of the window.
      That is, unless Barca sign Dembele. Or Messi leaves. Or FSG do the most horrendous u-turn in history.
      I hope he's starting to see the writing might be on the wall, and is starting to see himself still in red, like it or not.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2375: Aug 20, 2017 09:07:44 pm

Made me laugh when I read that, hoped he'd said it but couldn't believe it, sure enough:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/6uw40u/klopp_to_brazilian_journalist_on_coutinho_bid_i/

Fake news and quite a few having a chuckle at how far it went.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #2376: Aug 20, 2017 09:17:30 pm
      Made me laugh when I read that, hoped he'd said it but couldn't believe it, sure enough:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/6uw40u/klopp_to_brazilian_journalist_on_coutinho_bid_i/

Fake news and quite a few having a chuckle at how far it went.

Just indicative of the abuse of social media these days. Can't believe a single word you read on Facebook, Twitter, ... So much bullshit is being written on a daily basis, it's crazy. The worst thing is these things can really affect possible dealings behind the scenes. Some of these so called journalists should really be held accountable for the sh*t they come out with or mindlessly copy sometimes.

I never believe anything I read unless it comes from the official channels.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2377: Aug 20, 2017 09:23:49 pm
      Just indicative of the abuse of social media these days. Can't believe a single word you read on Facebook, Twitter, ... So much bullshit is being written on a daily basis, it's crazy. The worst thing is these things can really affect possible dealings behind the scenes. Some of these so called journalists should really be held accountable for the sh*t they come out with or mindlessly copy sometimes.

I never believe anything I read unless it comes from the official channels.

Totally agree.

Copy and pasting to a forum is one thing but a journalist should value their reputation highly enough that they at least go through a simple fact check process.

As you say there are only a select handful of journalists who maintain their credibility these days and once you leave that small circle then anything else is met with large bucket loads of salt and as for these 'news' sites, they should be embarrassed. Of course the hosts love it, nothing like good click bait to boost ad revenue, in fact the more fake news the merrier for those which is why we're never going to see it change imo.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #2378: Aug 20, 2017 09:36:46 pm
      Now he is the real question: What would LFC do if Barca offered 500 Mio. €? What would u do as a manager in such a case? I would still not sell for there is no player available to replace C. and that'd mean a lost season and that'd be inacceptable for a silverware addicted team like LFC...would also send the wrong message.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #2379: Aug 20, 2017 10:03:21 pm
      Now he is the real question: What would LFC do if Barca offered 500 Mio. €? What would u do as a manager in such a case? I would still not sell for there is no player available to replace C. and that'd mean a lost season and that'd be inacceptable for a silverware addicted team like LFC...would also send the wrong message.

As a fan maybe yes, as a manager maybe yes, but as an owner definitely no!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2380: Aug 20, 2017 10:23:51 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2381: Aug 20, 2017 10:26:36 pm
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #2382: Aug 20, 2017 11:37:02 pm

Why not?
      For me, if player want out and REFUSE TO PLAY FOR THE CLUB that break beyond repair.
      Suarez, Torres etc as much as they done bad things they still play for their club but what Coutinho did (fake injure) is not acceptable.

I always against the idea of selling our best player, also for Coutinho but until I read he tell Klopp he will never play for Liverpool again I lost my patient. Just hope someone can tell me what I read are just a fake things so if he stay and Klopp play him then I won't have to buy a new monitor.

In the history of this great football club countless of legends leave, retire, or sold but LFC still stand among the world  best because the club has the right owner. Owner is only most important factor for sustain success except arguably fluke season like Leicester in 2015. The right owner with ambition and fund they will establish the right management board, appoint the right manager/coaches, establish the reliable scouts/recruitment team and sign the right players then make them the club legend.
      Liverpool FC downfall all depend to our poor owner. Until this solve I can't see the club back to it's greatness regardless of who the manager and regardless of we sell Coutinho this summer or not.   

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2383: Aug 20, 2017 11:38:35 pm
      https://twitter.com/CatalanEdition/status/899393520863244289

I personally think it's one or the other with these two, hence the ultimatum.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2384: Aug 21, 2017 12:14:58 am
      Ah
      Ah this old chestnut Heimy. Go on then just for you we'll do the same old debate.

Why is it clear? Because twice in the last three or four seasons we've sold our best player. We've huffed and puffed about it to drive the price up, but we've sold up. Also, outside of the official press releases by the club there is enough "word on the street" to convince me that we are prepared to sell. (At this point we get into who is a "reliable source" etc if I'm not mistaken). I suggest a couple of journo's, you roll around on the floor laughing saying they can't be trusted an inch (much like you and many others did when the news first broke than Coutinho had put in a transfer request) and we're back to square one. Unfortunately though I don't know any journo's, nor can i give you any direct quotes from anyone (chiefly because I'm about to have my dinner and can't be bothered to trawl through the internet). If I could though, the weight of noise, fuzz, bluster, hyperbole etc surrounding the Coutinho situation leads ME to believe we are prepared to sell. If we genuinely weren't, Barcelona wouldn't keep on making offers (see our approach with Keita), all IMHO obviously.

That's why I wrote " I THINK it's fairly clear" mate. If you don't think that, it's really cool.

On the "trousering the money" angle, much like when you buy a house and the next door neighbour sells his house for double what you paid for yours, you have made a profit as sure as eggs is eggs. You won't see it until you sell (just like they won't see it until they sell LFC), but you have made it. They are quietly racking up what is known as "equity" in the business, helped of course by negative NET spends on transfers.

Nothing like a bit of passive aggression to highlight when you are losing an argument BigMick.  I bet you at this stage want the club to sell Coutinho just to prove you right, which is a little bit sad.
      Anyway I tend to believe the club when they were trying to buy Keita, surely the reason we kept bidding was because we knew they would eventually sell, wasn't it? :-)

As for trousering money that argument is pathetic. Are you genuinely condemning the owners for having an asset that is appreciating in value. Btw putting money into the clubs accounts is of F**k all value to the clubs valuation.  in fact it would be counterproductive, it would be much better to pack the squad with as many big name players as possible if they were looking to sell but perhaps, just perhaps they aren't. Perhaps they only buy and bid on the players the manager wants,some they get and some they don't.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #2385: Aug 21, 2017 12:25:46 am
      I personally think it's one or the other with these two, hence the ultimatum.

Spot on.

They just wanted to spunk the Neymar money on someone to appease the fans.  Not going to punt money on the pair of them.

Do the Dembele deal and then Coutinho's going to have to backslide in to line.  Unsure if Barcelona would come knocking again for him either.

So.... moving on... wonder if Mane has a release fee in his contract...?  ;)
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2386: Aug 21, 2017 12:40:54 am
      Spot on.

They just wanted to spunk the Neymar money on someone to appease the fans.  Not going to punt money on the pair of them.

Do the Dembele deal and then Coutinho's going to have to backslide in to line.  Unsure if Barcelona would come knocking again for him either.

So.... moving on... wonder if Mane has a release fee in his contract...?  ;)

Completely off topic but they should resign Pedro and Sanchez. Problem solved in replacing Neymar at least for a few years and £100M to put into defence/midfield
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #2387: Aug 21, 2017 12:44:45 am
      They are Scumbags.  They love pissing people off.  Unsettling players.  They won't go for players that are on the market.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2388: Aug 21, 2017 01:25:14 am
      How do footballers fake injuries? Surely Liverpool doctors know if there's an injury or not.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #2389: Aug 21, 2017 02:25:37 am
      How do footballers fake injuries? Surely Liverpool doctors know if there's an injury or not.
      If he says his back is sore, there is no way to tell if it's a strain or not. No tests will show that.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2390: Aug 21, 2017 02:36:48 am
      Probably he'll be ok by mid week, otherwise he'll miss the following two games with Brazil.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2391: Aug 21, 2017 02:39:38 am
      Ah this old chestnut Heimy. Go on then just for you we'll do the same old debate.

Why is it clear? Because twice in the last three or four seasons we've sold our best player. We've huffed and puffed about it to drive the price up, but we've sold up. Also, outside of the official press releases by the club there is enough "word on the street" to convince me that we are prepared to sell. (At this point we get into who is a "reliable source" etc if I'm not mistaken). I suggest a couple of journo's, you roll around on the floor laughing saying they can't be trusted an inch (much like you and many others did when the news first broke than Coutinho had put in a transfer request) and we're back to square one. Unfortunately though I don't know any journo's, nor can i give you any direct quotes from anyone (chiefly because I'm about to have my dinner and can't be bothered to trawl through the internet). If I could though, the weight of noise, fuzz, bluster, hyperbole etc surrounding the Coutinho situation leads ME to believe we are prepared to sell. If we genuinely weren't, Barcelona wouldn't keep on making offers (see our approach with Keita), all IMHO obviously.

That's why I wrote " I THINK it's fairly clear" mate. If you don't think that, it's really cool.

On the "trousering the money" angle, much like when you buy a house and the next door neighbour sells his house for double what you paid for yours, you have made a profit as sure as eggs is eggs. You won't see it until you sell (just like they won't see it until they sell LFC), but you have made it. They are quietly racking up what is known as "equity" in the business, helped of course by negative NET spends on transfers.

Cracking post Mick, love it, however I disagree, I don't think we'll sell, well not this window at least, if FSG we're indeed having aspirations of trousering the cash which they most probably will when they do eventually sell,
      Coutinho would be gone by now imho you understand 😉

YNWA

Quick Reply