Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 283820 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #4025: Jan 07, 2018 09:55:39 am
      my real disappointment is that we wont have him for the City match.

He'd have faked injury anyway.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4026: Jan 07, 2018 10:23:09 am
      Well we have spineless Boston owners, never trust anything comes from Boston

After 8 years nothing has changed, financial expediency takes priority over what this club exists for - success on the field.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #4027: Jan 07, 2018 10:45:18 am
      my real disappointment is that we wont have him for the City match.
      Boy did he have some good games against City.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4028: Jan 07, 2018 10:49:23 am
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4029: Jan 07, 2018 10:55:39 am
      Let's put things into perspective here, Coutinho not as good as Suarez but we got twice the amount for him. It's nothing to do with the owners investing or not, Klopp has already explained why the club had to let him go, the lad was desperate to go and nothing was going to stop him. Its simple, move on from trying to lay the blame.

Would you be fine if we don't replace him in January?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4030: Jan 07, 2018 11:11:02 am
      Let's put things into perspective here, Coutinho not as good as Suarez but we got twice the amount for him. It's nothing to do with the owners investing or not, Klopp has already explained why the club had to let him go, the lad was desperate to go and nothing was going to stop him. Its simple, move on from trying to lay the blame.

The point is how long has this this scenario prevailed yet it has not been addressed until it could seriously impact on the team's campaign??

As with every outstanding performer previously who left for greener pastures, nothing is done to replace the genius until the greenbacks are in hand and the quest to economise kicks in.

Whether the full Coutinho fee is add ons, appearence related or straight cash it's accepted that his replacement will not entail the payment of anywhere near the full fee.

Irrespective the January market is a F***ing nightmare if looking to replace a player of that calibre which begs the question again of why the F**k does everyone wait for the edge of the cliff scenario before acting?

If FSG acted in this manner with their business activities i.e. showed a complete lack of expediency and forward thinking, the company would be on it's arse.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018 11:22:41 am by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4031: Jan 07, 2018 11:20:58 am

It is being played out like Suarez act 2, with a greater financial reward.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4032: Jan 07, 2018 11:22:03 am
      Would you be fine if we don't replace him in January?

Why do you reckon we bought Oxlade-Chamberlain?  (Who is now 'up to speed')
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4033: Jan 07, 2018 11:29:37 am
      I don't think we will miss him as much as we make out, the stats are out there showing we have won more games without him this season..

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4034: Jan 07, 2018 11:31:39 am

You know what? I was just thinking the same thing!
      Ox was bought as the cheaper alternative to Lamar as it was supposed to be one or the other.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4035: Jan 07, 2018 11:34:31 am

Doubt very much anyone gave that proposition too much credibility, he still has a couple of gear shifts at least to get anywhere near the required performance level.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4036: Jan 07, 2018 11:42:22 am
      Well many were scratching their heads, wondering why we bought him at the time, who he had come in to replace.

Wondering why he wasn't playing much at first and then slowly watched him get involved more and more and understand how we play.

Both Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain can play in that left (but mostly middle) midfield-attack position.

We're more stuffed if Firmino gets injured than Coutinho moving to Barcelona IMO.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #4037: Jan 07, 2018 11:47:44 am
      I don't think we will miss him as much as we make out, the stats are out there showing we have won more games without him this season..

Mate, it’s a massive loss, let’s not sugarcoat it.

There’s a reason why Barcelona have gone all out to get him. Other Prem team are loving the fact we are now OFFICIALLY weaker.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4038: Jan 07, 2018 11:52:44 am

There’s a reason why Barcelona have gone all out to get him. Other Prem team are loving the fact we are now OFFICIALLY weaker.

We would be weaker if we sold Salah or Bobby gets injured, I'm not concerned in the slightest Phil has  gone...

Barca are ageing fast, they need a recruitment drive, they spunked the Neymar money & got nothing back in return..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4039: Jan 07, 2018 11:54:43 am
      Other Prem team are loving the fact we are now OFFICIALLY weaker.

Would you give van Dijk back to keep hold of Coutinho?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4040: Jan 07, 2018 11:54:46 am
      Both Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain can play in that left (but mostly middle) midfield-attack position

I hear you but aswell as being totally different players they are levels below.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4041: Jan 07, 2018 12:00:05 pm
      Coutinho had a better goalscoring rate than Firmino who supposedly is "proving doubters wrong" in terms of his scoring ability. But then he's not going to be missed? Yeah right.

Coutinho leaves many gaps in the squad. Chamberlain has been OK but far from spectacular. He offers work rate, pace and versatility, but is nowhere near as good in many other aspects - no one in the squad had a better passing range and vision than Coutinho. And Coutinho has probably scored more Premier League goals in one season than Alex did in 8.

Chamberlain is another one of our players who is far better suited to a counter attacking system than he is against the deep defending teams. He doesn't have the extra bit of magic that Coutinho offered.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is the end of the world. I am disappointed to see another top player leave, and I can already see the "what could have been" type of posts when he starts showing his class in Barcelona. We're a bit like our feeder club Southampton in that respect. What could have been!

We're in a strong position to move forward without him though, and I sure have far more faith in the club to make wise use of that money than I was when Suarez left the club. We cannot compromise on UCL qualification this season. If Klopp is confident he can achieve it without a new signing, then so be it, but if he's not, then by all means spend it and spend it now. Only by becoming a regular UCL participant, and using the money that comes with it to then challenge for trophies, will we be able to stop that vicious cycle of losing our best players every couple of years.

I know "there was nothing the club could do", like there was nothing we could do about Torres, Sterling, Suarez? There's obviously something we can do in the medium/long term and it is not to let the situation get to that point where players have been at the club for years and feel their careers stagnating and start looking for more. And it starts with a good European run this season hopefully, and Champions League qualification once again.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4042: Jan 07, 2018 12:07:13 pm
      Well many were scratching their heads, wondering why we bought him at the time, who he had come in to replace.

Wondering why he wasn't playing much at first and then slowly watched him get involved more and more and understand how we play.

Both Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain can play in that left (but mostly middle) midfield-attack position.

We're more stuffed if Firmino gets injured than Coutinho moving to Barcelona IMO.

Agree entirely the lad has improved with every game he's played and personally I think he can get better than the 'up to speed' level described.

My reply was essentially a response to the Coutinho replacement suggestion which in spite of Chamberlain's improvement still seems a tall order.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4043: Jan 07, 2018 12:12:05 pm
      We cannot compromise on UCL qualification this season. If Klopp is confident he can achieve it without a new signing, then so be it, but if he's not, then by all means spend it and spend it now. Only by becoming a regular UCL participant, and using the money that comes with it to then challenge for trophies, will we be able to stop that vicious cycle of losing our best players every couple of years.

Entirely agree with this.  Crucial to make it a habit.

But let's face it - WITH Coutinho we were not nailed on for a top four this season.  We've only just earned ourselves a tiny cushion (ironically thanks to our last 3 points at Burnley when Coutinho didn't play).

Coutinho was not waltzing us through to a Champions League place but I think that the addition of van Dijk may save some points that could.  Time will tell on that.

Right here right now I still think our priorities 1) another keeper and 2) a forward to cover Firmino/Salah.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #4044: Jan 07, 2018 12:12:35 pm
      Good luck in barca, cou and thanks for the time.
      Was in saurez thread earlier today and people wrote that oh, Cou will be next. Much later and they were proven right sadly.

Torres, Suarez, sterling and now cou. I won't be bitter and blame the players when it's our own fault. We need to be on the top of the food chain to keep the top players. How is argument for another time and thread.

Hope the lad does well in barca, and we will surely miss him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4045: Jan 07, 2018 12:13:55 pm
      Well we have spineless Boston owners, never trust anything comes from Boston

Were they also spineless in the summer? Are you really suggesting we keep a £140m player just playing in the ressies just to spite him and Barca, and then risk that Barca get so pissed off that they switch targets and we lose the money?? Thank F**k you aren't in charge of anything.
      Bottom line it sucks that he left mid season but its a very nice chunk of cash which we can use to really bolster the team and squad and I would rather get the cash in hand than have a pissed off player who can destabilise the rest of the team, especially Firminio, for the rest of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4046: Jan 07, 2018 12:17:19 pm

I don't think we are weaker, I think the addition of VVD in defence more than compensates for the loss of Couts, if we can also bring someone in for Couts then we are mightily strengthened overall, see how I managed to find a silver lining, some of you miserable fuckers need to try a bit harder to do the same, its not the end of the world FFS!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4047: Jan 07, 2018 12:18:17 pm
      Well at least we have a manager who will spend the transfer money wisely and not blow it on sh*t ala Rodgers and the TC.

Quick Reply