Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 283848 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #4048: Jan 07, 2018 12:18:20 pm
      Coutinho had a better goalscoring rate than Firmino who supposedly is "proving doubters wrong" in terms of his scoring ability. But then he's not going to be missed? Yeah right.

Coutinho leaves many gaps in the squad. Chamberlain has been OK but far from spectacular. He offers work rate, pace and versatility, but is nowhere near as good in many other aspects - no one in the squad had a better passing range and vision than Coutinho. And Coutinho has probably scored more Premier League goals in one season than Alex did in 8.

Chamberlain is another one of our players who is far better suited to a counter attacking system than he is against the deep defending teams. He doesn't have the extra bit of magic that Coutinho offered.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is the end of the world. I am disappointed to see another top player leave, and I can already see the "what could have been" type of posts when he starts showing his class in Barcelona. We're a bit like our feeder club Southampton in that respect. What could have been!

We're in a strong position to move forward without him though, and I sure have far more faith in the club to make wise use of that money than I was when Suarez left the club. We cannot compromise on UCL qualification this season. If Klopp is confident he can achieve it without a new signing, then so be it, but if he's not, then by all means spend it and spend it now. Only by becoming a regular UCL participant, and using the money that comes with it to then challenge for trophies, will we be able to stop that vicious cycle of losing our best players every couple of years.

I know "there was nothing the club could do", like there was nothing we could do about Torres, Sterling, Suarez? There's obviously something we can do in the medium/long term and it is not to let the situation get to that point where players have been at the club for years and feel their careers stagnating and start looking for more. And it starts with a good European run this season hopefully, and Champions League qualification once again.

Thank for posting this. I wholeheartedly agree with this, if my English would have been good as your Diego then I would have composed a post like this.
      although I would like to add that it's no point being bitter towards the player. It's our own fault. Like Diego have pointed out, we need to have a long term plan  for being in CL every year so we can have any hope of stopping our best players to leave.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4049: Jan 07, 2018 12:23:39 pm
      I don't think we are weaker, I think the addition of VVD in defence more than compensates for the loss of Couts, if we can also bring someone in for Couts then we are mightily strengthened overall, see how I managed to find a silver lining, some of you miserable fuckers need to try a bit harder to do the same, its not the end of the world FFS!

Don't be ridiculous Cou is a world class player entering his prime he's a massive loss.

We are now left with Lallana and Ox to fill the void left by Cou who are nowhere near his class.

You can find all the silver linings you want to mate but the bottom line is we are now a weaker team.

Sure VVD is quality and will improve us defensively but I guarantee we will struggle to score goals in games for the rest of the season.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4050: Jan 07, 2018 12:24:12 pm
      Entirely agree with this.  Crucial to make it a habit.

But let's face it - WITH Coutinho we were not nailed on for a top four this season.  We've only just earned ourselves a tiny cushion (ironically thanks to our last 3 points at Burnley when Coutinho didn't play).

Coutinho was not waltzing us through to a Champions League place but I think that the addition of van Dijk may save some points that could.  Time will tell on that.

Right here right now I still think our priorities 1) another keeper and 2) a forward to cover Firmino/Salah.

I agree a keeper would be my top priority. Someone who would make an instant impact like VVD. Oblak and Alisson are my favourites

But I still think we'll miss many of Coutinho's attributes in this squad, such as vision, passing, set pieces, and also positionally, as he was the best left sided player we had.

We probably won't find a like for like replacement, but we could do it in parts.

For example: with Thomas Lemar, we'd have a player who's well suited to playing on the left, and who, in my opinion, can also play as a 10 or perhaps even as CM if necessary. I don't really watch French football on a regular basis to be honest, but I did see a bit of Monaco last season, including live at the Etihad, and I feel he's that good.

We'd still be missing the "inside forward" type of play that Coutinho offers, though, cutting inside from the left with his right. And as we say, we need cover for Firmino - if he's injured, we have no one even close to resemble what he offers, Solanke is so far behind it's not even funny, Sturridge is unreliable and I think it unrealistic to expect much from Ings at this point.

So we could potentially sign a player who could offer a bit of both. Say Gonçalo Guedes from PSG/Valencia is a very good inside forward, as is Lozano from PSV. Can they also play Firmino's role? Not sure, but Lozano most likely yes. And then we could probably see two players incoming and be stronger as a result, squad wise.

Well anyway, I trust Klopp to find the right man. I'm not sure if I trust LFC to get him at the right time, but Klopp's eye for talent is quite obvious.
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4051: Jan 07, 2018 12:34:34 pm
      I always like to look at what other fans are saying about us, as it’s a more honest opinion (unless it’s Everton or Utd fans) everyone including arsenal fans are just mocking us for selling our best player in January and completly derailing our own season.

If we don’t have a plan and someone new coming in then we are in for a right tough time come May if we finish outside of the top 4, then the excuses of not having champions league to attract better players will come up again.

So far under FSG 1 step forward 2 steps back, every single time we look to be making progress.

Only we could make summers embarrassing transfer window look decent 5 months later.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #4052: Jan 07, 2018 12:36:29 pm

c**t...isnt he injured. smiling rat! hope you get bad injury...so muc h for his love with liverpool.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4053: Jan 07, 2018 12:50:53 pm
      Yeah I for one expected him to be in tears of extreme sadness for getting the move he asked for.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4054: Jan 07, 2018 12:57:20 pm
      Let's not pussyfoot about we have just gone and sold our best player yet again.

F***ing oath we are worse of without him and IMO he was a class above anyone in our squad barring Mo, replacing him will be near impossible this window.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #4055: Jan 07, 2018 01:01:09 pm
      Other fans club saying we are sell best player to buy would we brought vvd and keita without selling phi
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4056: Jan 07, 2018 01:13:02 pm
      The only surprise here is how many of you truly believed that this would not happen... Go luck to him, I bare him no ill will, If in future we hope to keep players like him we need to be up there every season challenging for the top stop, and NO that does not mean a CL breath. It mean the premier league title itself... What has Coutinho to show for his time at Liverpool...? not even a Cup winners, or a Runners up medal... Lets hope that the owners make all the Coutinho money (something i have my doubts will happen) available to Klopp to improve the team... For in the end that's all we can really hope for
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #4057: Jan 07, 2018 01:48:06 pm
      So Coutinho has gone, he will be a loss but I think the club had to let him go now as he just didn't want to be here. Theres rumours of a replacement but what are you going to get in that he gives the team. He takes the free kicks and really well. He picks up the ball from deep and creates and can score from outside the box. That is what we need to replace. So who is this player that we are going to get in January who can do all that without us taking a risk.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #4058: Jan 07, 2018 01:58:36 pm
      So Coutinho has gone, he will be a loss but I think the club had to let him go now as he just didn't want to be here. Theres rumours of a replacement but what are you going to get in that he gives the team. He takes the free kicks and really well. He picks up the ball from deep and creates and can score from outside the box. That is what we need to replace. So who is this player that we are going to get in January who can do all that without us taking a risk.

Can ask Stevie to dust his boots....
      Kopite78
      Reply #4059: Jan 07, 2018 02:21:03 pm
      The only surprise here is how many of you truly believed that this would not happen... Go luck to him, I bare him no ill will, If in future we hope to keep players like him we need to be up there every season challenging for the top stop, and NO that does not mean a CL breath. It mean the premier league title itself... What has Coutinho to show for his time at Liverpool...? not even a Cup winners, or a Runners up medal... Lets hope that the owners make all the Coutinho money (something i have my doubts will happen) available to Klopp to improve the team... For in the end that's all we can really hope for

Not that it counts for much but yeah he's had a few runners up medals in his time
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #4060: Jan 07, 2018 02:30:37 pm
      Thanks for the fun goals, thanks for creativity on the pitch, and thanks for everything in between. With all that said you didn't win anything here and you didn't make us dream. You don't wanna be part of the YNWA army anymore, and that's on you. F**k ya, walking on "With Hope in my Heart".
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4061: Jan 07, 2018 02:54:06 pm
      Lack of ambition sees yet another top player leave, salah will be next and I cannot blame him either

We’ve essentially swapped countinho for oxlade chamberlain and for that we deserve everything we get if we miss out on top 4
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4062: Jan 07, 2018 03:09:52 pm
      Not that it counts for much but yeah he's had a few runners up medals in his time
      Sorry Kopite, i guess it's true what they say "No one remembers who came second" Point being Coutinho is gone, and old news. Lets move on
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4063: Jan 07, 2018 03:26:34 pm
      Sorry Kopite, i guess it's true what they say "No one remembers who came second" Point being Coutinho is gone, and old news. Lets move on

If we signed someone else we could move on, however this does not look likely so how can we move on losing a superstar and replacing them with nobody, our midfield had creativity only with countinho, we’ve now got a midfield with as much creativity as the days under hodgeson when we fielded Poulsen and miralles
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #4064: Jan 07, 2018 03:47:08 pm
      £140m. The money is just too good. At a certain price all of us would sell. Different levels for different fans. For FSG it’s £140m, one of the highest transfer fees in history.

Well I guess most of us, we value him at above £200m. Some of us wouldn’t sell for £1b cold hard cash.

That’s life.
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4065: Jan 07, 2018 03:50:05 pm
      £140m. The money is just too good. At a certain price all of us would sell. Different levels for different fans. For FSG it’s £140m, one of the highest transfer fees in history.

Well I guess most of us, we value him at above £200m. Some of us wouldn’t sell for £1b cold hard cash.

That’s life.

Would you take £140 and europa league while we rebuild? Spending the money trying to find a player as good as him?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #4066: Jan 07, 2018 03:50:12 pm
      A bit shocked saw this this morning. Although I'm sure as the sun will rise on the east in the morning that Coutinho will leave us but I don't expect the club let him go in January.
      And what's worst imo is we let him go without completion of his replacement.
      Sure with Klopp in charge I'm not expect to see the like of Ricky Lambert but I'm not confident we could get the top quality replacement in this window.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #4067: Jan 07, 2018 04:00:26 pm
      I'm still feel bad of this, and a bit drunk, so I've a question here for fun :
      Do you happy if Klopp not sign Coutinho replacement this January but he manage to get Naby in this month instead ?
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #4068: Jan 07, 2018 04:01:35 pm
      Would you take £140 and europa league while we rebuild? Spending the money trying to find a player as good as him?

I’ll be more concerned losing him for £0 like Can if he runs down his contract, whom you could potentially cash out for £140m in January 2018. CL money if we win the damn thing is less than €100m.

He doesn’t want to be here. Take the money and run. Get a decent replacement and don’t make the same big money Carroll, Benteke transfer mistakes.

I guess you’ll only sell if Barca stuffed £3b in your pocket? The numbers do stack up. Not a terrible deal at all, excluding the fans’ footballing soul.
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #4069: Jan 07, 2018 04:17:24 pm
      I’ll be more concerned losing him for £0 like Can if he runs down his contract, whom you could potentially cash out for £140m in January 2018. CL money if we win the damn thing is less than €100m.

He doesn’t want to be here. Take the money and run. Get a decent replacement and don’t make the same big money Carroll, Benteke transfer mistakes.

I guess you’ll only sell if Barca stuffed £3b in your pocket? The numbers do stack up. Not a terrible deal at all, excluding the fans’ footballing soul.

Coutinho has 4 years left on his contract we had time, and should have made him stay till the summer. We could still have got plenty for him in the summer while giving us chance to get in replacements for decent sums, now everyone thinks we have plenty to spend so we will have to pay top sum, none of what we have done benefits us.

There’s already talk of Firmino being unhappy now his mate has left.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #4070: Jan 07, 2018 04:26:50 pm
      What funny the most is, people on here say they still want to keep Daniel Sturridge with the hope he may help us through this season.
      And here, we have people who say they don't worry losing Coutinho.
      F**k me !

Quick Reply