Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Andy Robertson Player Thread (D)

Read 211330 times
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Andy Robertson Player Thread
      Reply #207: Dec 14, 2017 07:32:21 pm
      Most definitely our best left back. Never happy to see anyone injured but maybe the Moreno one was a blessing in disguise.

This lad has never been given a proper run of games and everytime I see him he looks the business. Was not spectacular last night but nobody was. Still think he is the man to nail down that spot.

On what basis is he definitely our best left back? His to date defensive displays in games where he barely had any defending to do? There's no way you can say something like that without having seen him have to defend in any of the games he has played so far.

Arsenal, if he plays, will be his first big test. Coming up against Ramsey / Ozil / Bellerin who will often play in his zone will be tough.

He's a better footballer but I actually think Moreno's pace and energy suits us much better.

I actually think that he's a pretty limited footballer technically. Has a sweet cross and left foot, but that's about it currently? Hard to really say much about the lad.

Not making any judgements yet, I'll give him another year at least. Think we should also keep in mind the complete difference in mindset he has to play with. Coming from Hull, a side that sat deep and defended a lot to a side that dominates games on a regular basis is quite a big step.

Think it was FOAR mentioning it a few days ago that some things need training out of him. His decision making in the final third has to improve, but that will come with time. Right now he looks the same as Chamberlain did in his first games for us. Thinking too much about where to be, where to go or what to do in certain situations.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #208: Dec 16, 2017 01:16:12 pm
      I think that’s harsh Scott - though I do believe he has much more to offer.

The lack of crossing in the last two games I can only put down to instruction.

Otherwise did everything pretty competently.

As a team we were poor.

Maybe a little and he could well have been following instructions but I thought he was too safe with the ball, seemed to just give it to Voutinho every time when he was often better placed to create something himself.

He's a better footballer but I actually think Moreno's pace and energy suits us much better.

Certainly Moreno's pace in transition and ability to get up and down all game is important to the way we play but it's good to get a look at Robertson and see what he's made of.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #209: Dec 16, 2017 01:30:41 pm
      Maybe a little and he could well have been following instructions but I thought he was too safe with the ball, seemed to just give it to Voutinho every time when he was often better placed to create something himself.

Certainly Moreno's pace in transition and ability to get up and down all game is important to the way we play but it's good to get a look at Robertson and see what he's made of.

I agree at the moment he does look as if he’s concentrating on NOT making mistakes.

On the pace point - I don’t think there’s much between them at all. One of the things that impressed me at international level - even before he came south to Hull - was the fact that he could play high and recover control of line without having to throw himself into desperation tackles.

In reality this is him just beginning to settle. Let’s see how the next few weeks go.

Bags of potential and sound fundamentals.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #210: Dec 17, 2017 06:39:59 pm
      Great game for the lad. Complemented the attack well with his runs and defended confidently. Didn’t keep the ball on his foot long and was quick to make decisions 
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #211: Dec 17, 2017 07:22:03 pm
      Great game for the lad. Complemented the attack well with his runs and defended confidently. Didn’t keep the ball on his foot long and was quick to make decisions 

I agree, he played well today, really solid outing offensively and defensively.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #212: Dec 17, 2017 08:34:14 pm
      Didn't know we signed 2 Andy Robertsons. Lad was everywhere today.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #213: Dec 18, 2017 10:17:16 am
      Reminds me of Alan Kennedy.  Looks like a "proper" left back to me and despite Moreno's strides forward this season, I feel more confident of us as a unit with Robertson's name on the team sheet.  Think he's going to become a stalwart in defence along with Gomez in years to come.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #214: Dec 18, 2017 11:17:07 am
      Solid at the back and marauding here there and every where going forward.
      If he keeps up this form not sure Moreno is a shoe in once he is back.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #215: Dec 19, 2017 03:44:46 pm
      I actually think that he's a pretty limited footballer technically. Has a sweet cross and left foot, but that's about it currently? Hard to really say much about the lad.Not making any judgements yet, I'll give him another year at least. Think we should also keep in mind the complete difference in mindset he has to play with. Coming from Hull, a side that sat deep and defended a lot to a side that dominates games on a regular basis is quite a big step. Think it was FOAR mentioning it a few days ago that some things need training out of him. His decision making in the final third has to improve, but that will come with time. Right now he looks the same as Chamberlain did in his first games for us. Thinking too much about where to be, where to go or what to do in certain situations.

Interesting to hear what you think Moreno brings from a technical standpoint and in the final third as I know you are a fan of his?

I think Moreno does a good job of carrying the football when he has space to run with it in transition because he is so quick (and he dribbles well) BUT for the most part, he usually checks back and gives the ball to Coutinho. It's rare that he takes anything other than the safe option (usually a 5 yard pass) and when he does his crossing is very inconsistent.

You are right about Robertson from a defensive point of view though, we haven't seen the lad defend yet, we'll no more after Friday night. 
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #216: Dec 23, 2017 02:53:23 am
      Interesting to hear what you think Moreno brings from a technical standpoint and in the final third as I know you are a fan of his?

I think Moreno does a good job of carrying the football when he has space to run with it in transition because he is so quick (and he dribbles well) BUT for the most part, he usually checks back and gives the ball to Coutinho. It's rare that he takes anything other than the safe option (usually a 5 yard pass) and when he does his crossing is very inconsistent.

You are right about Robertson from a defensive point of view though, we haven't seen the lad defend yet, we'll no more after Friday night.

Was waiting for the Arsenal game to answer this post and it confirmed some of the things I've seen / thought so far.

Not necessarily a 'fan' of Moreno, though I admit I've warmed to him seeing how he has come back after pretty much being out of the door last season and then putting in solid performances and generally playing well. Just want to offer a bit of a "counterweight". People underrate Moreno's performances because they can't wait to see the back of him and wait for him to f**k up while overrating Robertson's performances for the same reasons.

From a technical viewpoint I think Moreno has a better touch and passing than Robertson does, while Robertson's crossing is obviously better. Think he's also better at beating a man 1 vs 1, Robertson seems to lack that 'burst of pace' to beat someone.

Moreno does indeed check back often, but that's because there's no use for us putting cross after cross after cross into the box. I think in time we'll see Robertson doing more of the same. We don't have the players to compete for high crosses, which is why the vast majority of our crosses are hard and low. We usually put high crosses into the box when there's space in behind the opposition defence (Salah against Leicester, Firmino against Arsenal, Firmino against Bournemouth, ...) That's where Robertson's crossing is a weapon, but he has to choose his moments better. Both Robertson and Trent AA have provided us with some absolute beauties when there's space in behind the opposition defence.

The way we play, our FBs have to provide width to stretch the opposition's defences. Checking back to play to Coutinho who is in that area with Moreno / Robertson most of the time, gives Coutinho that little extra time / space to set up the attacking moves. Checking back is not a bad thing. Klopp often says it's about patience, making the right decisions at the right time. Crossing more often than not leads to us losing possession. Checking back and keeping the ball moving is the better option. That's where the decision making I mentioned (for Robertson) has to improve. When is the cross on and when do I check back.

There has already been some improvement there. If you go back to the Everton game (where he crossed the ball every single time), then West Brom, Bournemouth and today Arsenal, he is crossing the ball less often (I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it was a noticable difference for me) but when he is crossing, usually it's at the right moment (a few times today for example).

I actually think he'd be of a lot more use in a team like Spurs or even the scum. They have more players to compete for his crosses.

Thought he had an okay game today. Got caught out a few times and I think that in the second half he struggled with the pace of the game (he wasn't the only one), but overall, decent performance.

All in all, he's obviously a talented young footballer and I'm very happy to have both him and Moreno as our LB options. I agree with Chats that Moreno's pace and energy suit us better, but that as Scotia says, Robertson has the more "natural football brain" Still plenty of room for improvement.
      « Last Edit: Dec 23, 2017 03:07:49 am by Danzel »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #217: Dec 23, 2017 09:41:45 am
      Was waiting for the Arsenal game to answer this post and it confirmed some of the things I've seen / thought so far.

Not necessarily a 'fan' of Moreno, though I admit I've warmed to him seeing how he has come back after pretty much being out of the door last season and then putting in solid performances and generally playing well. Just want to offer a bit of a "counterweight". People underrate Moreno's performances because they can't wait to see the back of him and wait for him to f**k up while overrating Robertson's performances for the same reasons.

From a technical viewpoint I think Moreno has a better touch and passing than Robertson does, while Robertson's crossing is obviously better. Think he's also better at beating a man 1 vs 1, Robertson seems to lack that 'burst of pace' to beat someone.

Moreno does indeed check back often, but that's because there's no use for us putting cross after cross after cross into the box. I think in time we'll see Robertson doing more of the same. We don't have the players to compete for high crosses, which is why the vast majority of our crosses are hard and low. We usually put high crosses into the box when there's space in behind the opposition defence (Salah against Leicester, Firmino against Arsenal, Firmino against Bournemouth, ...) That's where Robertson's crossing is a weapon, but he has to choose his moments better. Both Robertson and Trent AA have provided us with some absolute beauties when there's space in behind the opposition defence.

The way we play, our FBs have to provide width to stretch the opposition's defences. Checking back to play to Coutinho who is in that area with Moreno / Robertson most of the time, gives Coutinho that little extra time / space to set up the attacking moves. Checking back is not a bad thing. Klopp often says it's about patience, making the right decisions at the right time. Crossing more often than not leads to us losing possession. Checking back and keeping the ball moving is the better option. That's where the decision making I mentioned (for Robertson) has to improve. When is the cross on and when do I check back.

There has already been some improvement there. If you go back to the Everton game (where he crossed the ball every single time), then West Brom, Bournemouth and today Arsenal, he is crossing the ball less often (I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it was a noticable difference for me) but when he is crossing, usually it's at the right moment (a few times today for example).

I actually think he'd be of a lot more use in a team like Spurs or even the scum. They have more players to compete for his crosses.

Thought he had an okay game today. Got caught out a few times and I think that in the second half he struggled with the pace of the game (he wasn't the only one), but overall, decent performance.

All in all, he's obviously a talented young footballer and I'm very happy to have both him and Moreno as our LB options. I agree with Chats that Moreno's pace and energy suit us better, but that as Scotia says, Robertson has the more "natural football brain" Still plenty of room for improvement.

Good post Danzel - don’t agree with all of it (particularly re his pace) but nice to see someone give it some thought and weigh up pros and cons as ‘they’ see them.

Made me think, ta.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #218: Dec 30, 2017 08:07:21 pm
      For those who say his defense is in question he showed off those chops more today than before. His play on Okazaki may have saved all 3 points. That was BIG. I think it was Matip who under cut the run and Robbo had to come from out of position to clear it. He played well in the box and didn’t let his man whip anything effective into scoring position. His crosses were not very good outside of the beauty that Mane missed timed. However his outlet passes were above par. I like the boy a lot
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #219: Dec 30, 2017 08:19:30 pm
      For those who say his defense is in question he showed off those chops more today than before. His play on Okazaki may have saved all 3 points. That was BIG. I think it was Matip who under cut the run and Robbo had to come from out of position to clear it. He played well in the box and didn’t let his man whip anything effective into scoring position. His crosses were not very good outside of the beauty that Mane missed timed. However his outlet passes were above par. I like the boy a lot

The last part is really important there BRIT434........he’s still young and improving.

He’s a proper footballer and his engine is exceptional.

Also - despite many pointing to Moreno’s pace as a difference - I’ve never seen anyone run beyond him in a foot race whether for Scotland or now us.

Developing well - crossing was poor today and he can learn a little about he could’ve done something else to help out Matip etc for the first but he’s 23 and a fine asset.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #220: Dec 30, 2017 09:04:47 pm
      Thought he was more dangerous in the first half than the second but was most impressed by his defenseove work today. Thought he was confident and put himself in good spots mostly. I’m biased, I like him better than Moreno if I’m honest but I think Andy is coming good and will only improve.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #221: Dec 30, 2017 09:33:04 pm
      The last part is really important there BRIT434........he’s still young and improving.

He’s a proper footballer and his engine is exceptional.

Also - despite many pointing to Moreno’s pace as a difference - I’ve never seen anyone run beyond him in a foot race whether for Scotland or now us.

Developing well - crossing was poor today and he can learn a little about he could’ve done something else to help out Matip etc for the first but he’s 23 and a fine asset.

I thought his delivery in the first half was quite good, putting dangerous balls in which on another day could have resulted in goal. You just need to compare it to what Gomez offered during that same time to see the difference between a natural wide player and someone who can just do a job there. Second half his crosses were quite poor though, and I think he needs to choose more wisely when to put the ball into the box or just keep it simple, pass it back, restart play if necessary. Probably at Hull or even Scotland he's been used to crossing at every occasion but he'll get used to a different style in Liverpool.

Btw and a bit off topic, I watched a bit of Tierney in the Old Firm earlier today, I know you're a big fan, but I wasn't very impressed to be honest. It was just one single game though, so obviously I'm not making any judgement on the player because of that
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #222: Dec 30, 2017 09:42:09 pm
      I thought his delivery in the first half was quite good, putting dangerous balls in which on another day could have resulted in goal. You just need to compare it to what Gomez offered during that same time to see the difference between a natural wide player and someone who can just do a job there. Second half his crosses were quite poor though, and I think he needs to choose more wisely when to put the ball into the box or just keep it simple, pass it back, restart play if necessary. Probably at Hull or even Scotland he's been used to crossing at every occasion but he'll get used to a different style in Liverpool.

Btw and a bit off topic, I watched a bit of Tierney in the Old Firm earlier today, I know you're a big fan, but I wasn't very impressed to be honest. It was just one single game though, so obviously I'm not making any judgement on the player because of that

Agree re both Diego.

Tierney was miles off his best in the Old Firm. To be fair Celtic were poor and could’ve lost to a very ordinary Rangers.

Both are proper prospects - don’t worry about that.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #223: Dec 30, 2017 09:57:51 pm
      Gets the crosses in and gets back to defend what more do we want. He's a fine left back and i rank him high .
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #224: Dec 30, 2017 11:19:51 pm
      Looks the part and seems to have good tactical awareness. I rate him.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #225: Dec 30, 2017 11:24:09 pm
      I really do think this fella is a superb player. Such an excellent fullback both attacking-wise and defensively. Always has the right idea when it comes to playing passes around the opponent's box and knows exactly when to put a cross in. His execution of said crosses need a little work, though.

Defensively, he's very sound. His positioning is fantastic the majority of the time and in the event that it's not, he has enough pace to recover and seems to be very good in the tackle.

I hope he continues to improve, because I do believe we have an absolute gem here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #226: Dec 31, 2017 03:58:21 am
      Only error was in the dying moments when we got the lead and he pushed up to press and left his whole wing vacant for them to expose. A better ball to Slimani (?) and they go in to score.

Apart from that, sensational in his positioning and awareness. He knows when overlap and when to hold his position to be an outlet for a pass. His combination with Phil looks to be very good.

His crossing was gash in the second half but we all know how good it usually is so that's not an issue.

One on one defence was flawless and his covering on Okazaki was outstanding.

Very, very impressed ever since he came in to the side.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #227: Dec 31, 2017 07:35:36 am
      Has the looks of a left footed Steve Finnan to me. Really solid in both directions, good engine and positionally sound.

I still want to see him play well in a few games vs bigger better opposition before getting carried away but he has made a really bright start. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #228: Dec 31, 2017 10:24:47 pm
      He really speaks well in his post match interviews. Good Lad Robbo.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #229: Jan 05, 2018 09:45:39 pm
      Mightily impressed with the lad tonight. Cracking game and MOTM by a country mile. Solid defensively in his 1 v 1's, good offensively and bailed Van Dijk out early on in the game when Van Dijk got done.

He's improving game by game and it's great to see. His decision making is so much better already. He's not putting nearly as many crosses into the box as he was in first few games.

Keep it up.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2018 09:52:29 pm by Danzel »

Quick Reply