Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Andy Robertson Player Thread (D)

Read 215401 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Re: Andy Robertson Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jul 25, 2017 10:11:58 pm
      People just like to be yes men and agree like sheep rather than speak what they really think, stick a poll on here if we should have signed Robertson and NO will win by a landslide.

Whilst I am very disappointed in our business thus far I don't have a problem with signing Robertson. Spurs signed Kieran Trippier a couple of seasons ago from another relegated side (Burnley) and he has blossomed into a fine player. A good few in here went nuts at the prospect of signing Bertrand a couple of summers ago and he too has developed into a fine player. I wish we had gone for him instead of the woeful Moreno.
      Shanks Red Pony
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts | 16 
      Reply #70: Jul 25, 2017 10:29:01 pm
      haha very clever. :roll: i honestly have no hard feelings against people who are happy about Robertson so I don't understand those who are hostile about me  being disappointed with this signing. No point in beating a dead horse about it anymore. A reluctant welcome and I hope to be proved wrong.

Thought you were letting it go? 3 more posts on the subject since you said it, Rib.

Give the kid a chance, he hasn't kicked a ball in anger, yet.  Wait til a couple of games in, eh?  He does wear the shirt of the team we all support

Time to move on, son.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #71: Jul 26, 2017 09:06:59 am

Whilst I am very disappointed in our business thus far I don't have a problem with signing Robertson. Spurs signed Kieran Trippier a couple of seasons ago from another relegated side (Burnley) and he has blossomed into a fine player. A good few in here went nuts at the prospect of signing Bertrand a couple of summers ago and he too has developed into a fine player. I wish we had gone for him instead of the woeful Moreno.

Indeed, and in terrace speak "it's all gone quiet over there". That said, I wouldn't have signed Robertson either ;D.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #72: Jul 26, 2017 12:57:24 pm
      I checked and he can pass, dribble and makes a few key passes. Doesn't tackle well or win 50 50 headers. Probably because he is not really very tall. Probably why people said he is like Moreno in terms of ability.

Come on Rib, so on your basis, we shouldn't have signed him? Give the rest of us a chance to watch him play with us and then have an opinion.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #73: Jul 26, 2017 01:40:20 pm
      I checked and he can pass, dribble and makes a few key passes. Doesn't tackle well or win 50 50 headers. Probably because he is not really very tall. Probably why people said he is like Moreno in terms of ability.

It's hard to take you seriously when you pose as someone who's got a strong opinion and is "not afraid" to go against the current, only for your subsequent posts actually show you don't know much about the player in question at all.

If you knew the player you apparently think is not good enough for us, why did you have to "check" what he can do? Shouldn't you know this already before passing on your verdict on his signing?

Alternatively do us all a favor and shut the f**k up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #74: Jul 26, 2017 02:49:42 pm
      It's hard to take you seriously when you pose as someone who's got a strong opinion and is "not afraid" to go against the current, only for your subsequent posts actually show you don't know much about the player in question at all.

If you knew the player you apparently think is not good enough for us, why did you have to "check" what he can do? Shouldn't you know this already before passing on your verdict on his signing?

Alternatively do us all a favor and shut the f**k up.

Post of the day I think.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #75: Jul 29, 2017 12:24:27 pm
      It will probably take him some time to get used to the way we set up and play and we could also do with another LB so that Milner can cover midfield now the keita deal is dead.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #76: Jul 29, 2017 07:43:55 pm
      Ok......so now we know this lad can play......😉
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #77: Aug 02, 2017 06:21:30 pm
      Is he injured or been injured?
      Slightly concerning when a new signing in our most needed position is on the bench in favour of Moreno and is again on the bench the following day in place of a make shift LB Milner to play there, despite having recently had a knock.

This isn't filling me with confidence...
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #78: Aug 02, 2017 06:22:33 pm
      Slightly concerning when a new signing in our most needed position is on the bench in favour of Moreno and is again on the bench the following day in place of a make shift LB Milner to play there, despite having recently had a knock.

He's playing tonight...back to back games with Milner out meant that Moreno was going to play 1 of the 2.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #79: Aug 02, 2017 06:24:55 pm
      He's playing tonight...back to back games with Milner out meant that Moreno was going to play 1 of the 2.

He's on the bench with Milner starting.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #80: Aug 02, 2017 06:26:45 pm

Give him a chance to settle in and get some decent training time with the rest of the lads.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #81: Aug 02, 2017 06:27:14 pm
      Milner will probably get 45 as he has been out and Robertson the 2nd half....He was good in his last match and the manager spoke well about him...don't think there is anything there tbh.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #82: Aug 02, 2017 06:29:53 pm
      Give him a chance to settle in and get some decent training time with the rest of the lads.

Like Solanke had before he was getting on the pitch?...
      Like Salah had?...

He's a natural left back, we've paid best part of 10mill for him but yet played the player essentially transfer listed ahead of him and now a player who isn't even a LB and has had a knock?

Sorry but straight away that gets me thinking whether he was the best option for us to be getting this summer. I get its early but he's had training with us now and I would have expected to see him start 1 of the 2 games over the space of 2 days
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #83: Aug 02, 2017 06:36:31 pm
      Like Salah had?...

He's a natural left back, we've paid best part of 10mill for him but yet played the player essentially transfer listed ahead of him and now a player who isn't even a LB and has had a knock?

Sorry but straight away that gets me thinking whether he was the best option for us to be getting this summer. I get its early but he's had training with us now and I would have expected to see him start 1 of the 2 games over the space of 2 days

Forwards and full backs need different type of coaching and especially organisational knowledge instilled into them, no?

You simply can't compare one position with the other in terms of work and understanding, and both Salah and Solanke have had more, in any case.
      At the back you want discipline and good organisation.
      At the top end you want positioning and flair; the ability to create, bamboozle, and hit the net.

If you want to worry about it, crack on.

I'm entirely comfortable with Klopps choices, after all he's the bloke who knows best.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #84: Aug 02, 2017 06:36:36 pm
      Like Salah had?...

The 2 others we were linked with 7KK7 were Sessegnon this season and Chillwell last.....Don't really think the manager is looking for some "special player" he is looking for someone who this season can spell Milner when he want's to be more attacking at home and groom a younger one to take his place perhaps next year that's about it.

Milner was and is the LB...that has been obvious for a year now and I have seen nor heard anything from the manager to indicate otherwise.

He now has defensive minded backs with (Milner/Clyne) and offensive backs with (TAA/Robertson)

Really think your reading more into his signing than you need to made....considering the other 2 options we looked at were a 16 year old and a 17 year old tells me the gaffer is not overly fussed with the LB position.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #85: Aug 02, 2017 06:45:52 pm

1000% REMEMBER THIS
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #86: Aug 02, 2017 06:49:55 pm
      Kind of agree with 7KK7 here.

If Robertson isn't good enough to displace a 31 year old CM from his position we shouldn't have bought him.

Time will tell on this one but I would have liked to have seen him start one of these games.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #87: Aug 02, 2017 07:02:08 pm
      Kind of agree with 7KK7 here.

If Robertson isn't good enough to displace a 31 year old CM from his position we shouldn't have bought him.

Time will tell on this one but I would have liked to have seen him start one of these games.

Disagree with you Si.....I think he want's Milner on the pitch because he is Milner not because he is a great LB...he want's him out there.

If that is the managers decision then where else are you going to play him?

Would Ben Chilwell replaced him? would a 16 year old Sessgnon displaced him?...no matter who we bought he wasn't going to be displaced because the manager doesn't want to have him displaced.

This is a management decision to play him there and not bring in somebody to remove him right now...so it has nothing to do with Robertson's quality.

If the manager wanted him out then he would be looking to buy proven top LB...he has shown no indication of doing so which means to me the manager is 1.) not fussed over the LB position  2.) want's James Milner on the pitch.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #88: Aug 02, 2017 09:59:24 pm
      I think he's just bedding him in - no more and no less.

I also think he's been nothing but promising whilst on park.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #89: Aug 02, 2017 10:59:51 pm
      Disagree with you Si.....I think he want's Milner on the pitch because he is Milner not because he is a great LB...he want's him out there.

If that's true, that's an utterly stupid reason to have him playing. He doesn't add anything at LB, anyone could see even this evening the night and day difference between him and a "youngster" that's meant to learn from Milner. What the hell is Robertson going to learn from Milner? How not to close down a cross? How to pull the ball back onto his right  foot before swinging it in? How to jog back and get left for dead by a speedy winger or fullback?

The only thing I'd want Robertson learning from Milner is how to take pens. Milner is a consummate professional, but his time as our starter at LB should be over. Why in the world would you handicap yourself when you can improve your defense by replacing a player that's played out of position?

It's great that Milner has done his job and not complained...but I almost wish he'd have refused to play there so we could go and buy someone experienced. Why are we willing to spend 60m on a CB or 80m on an Midfielder, but won't spend for a good LB?

For me, Robertson should start, but alas, Jürgen is the man in charge and he's got far more footballing experience than I ever would so it is what it is.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #90: Aug 02, 2017 11:07:00 pm
      Was my first chance at watching Robertson, I thought he did fine, some of his crosses were dangerous, which apart from Moreno yesterday is a new thing for us to see from the left. They also didn't hit the first man.

He also tracked his man without looking completely fu**ed by the time the attacker attempted a cross. He didn't drag his man back out of desperation and he certainly didn't leave an acre of space on that side for a simple cross to be played across our 6 yard box.

If you wanted a contrast in the position between two players you could do a lot worse than watch this match again.

Milner looks finished, perhaps he's just fatigued from tough training and he was floundering out there rather than being completely shot. I think that last year took a real toll on him though, he's not played a full season for a long time and full-back is now probably the most demanding role on the pitch. Not because you have to cover the most distance but you have less choice when you have to sprint/put effort in, so you can't make your movement efficient and get the most out of yourself, you have to be up and down constantly. Tracking that runner in the moment or breaking in the moment and I think Milner has just hit a wall, thought he did for much of the latter half of last season and he looks no better now.

I'd start Robertson or Moreno, I'd even go as far as to say against the better teams I'd start TAA on the right and Clyne on the left if we need defensive strength.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #91: Aug 02, 2017 11:31:26 pm
      For me, Robertson should start, but alas, Jürgen is the man in charge and he's got far more footballing experience than I ever would so it is what it is.

Yup, not arguing for or against Milner....it is what it is and that is the manager's choice; looking at the facts it's plain to see.

Quick Reply