Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Andy Robertson Player Thread (D)

Read 211211 times
      leosc and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Re: Andy Robertson Player Thread
      Reply #345: Feb 25, 2018 10:28:27 am
      Fair comment mate.

Personally - it was never the ones like yesterday that got me with Bertie. It’s when he was 3-5 yards wrong side when we’re deeper that used to grind my gears......

Ones like yesterday will always be down to an individual error in wrong place exposing a system.

That's right Scotia, mate.  Robbo makes very few errors for a full back (usual one for him is a misplaced cross - with Bertie it was being AWOL from his position!).

And has anyone else noticed how FEW 'errors that expose the system' the team making these days?  Got to be down to fitness, mental discipline and great coaching. Plus we're scoring so freely that the odd mistake gets wiped by a goal-fest at the other end!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #346: Feb 25, 2018 02:10:01 pm
      The major difference with him and Moreno comes down to one playing within himself and the other getting lost in all the commotion. Robbo seems to be very cerebral on the pitch. He seems to be thinking two or 3 moves ahead when defending. His crosses are fewer these days, but they are no longer aimlessly fired in because he has the ball and that’s just what u do. He is patient with them now and he has looked fantastic with his accuracy and delivery of late.

Moreno is a caveman. Speed, pace, and power. He would get caught not thinking far too often and let himself get out of position. One is playing Chess while the other is playing checkers
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #347: Feb 25, 2018 07:15:03 pm
      He proves that if we scout well, we should not break the bank every time we need a player. Do not get me wrong, we need great players and I willing to spend big but not every time with a brilliant scout department.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #348: Feb 28, 2018 06:02:07 pm
      I'm as guilty as anyone for using Robertson as a stick to beat our previous left backs. But he really has proven himself to be far and beyond the best left back we've had in over a decade - not since Riise in his prime. He has an honesty and work ethic that, when you see, are qualities that we've missed in many a player in recent years.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #349: Feb 28, 2018 06:59:08 pm
      I'm as guilty as anyone for using Robertson as a stick to beat our previous left backs. But he really has proven himself to be far and beyond the best left back we've had in over a decade - not since Riise in his prime. He has an honesty and work ethic that, when you see, are qualities that we've missed in many a player in recent years.

Smashing prospect who is doing a great job at the moment and has plenty improving still to do.

That he’s a great kid and a right good character fit for LFC is a bonus ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #350: Feb 28, 2018 08:27:45 pm
      The major difference with him and Moreno comes down to one playing within himself and the other getting lost in all the commotion. Robbo seems to be very cerebral on the pitch. He seems to be thinking two or 3 moves ahead when defending. His crosses are fewer these days, but they are no longer aimlessly fired in because he has the ball and that’s just what u do. He is patient with them now and he has looked fantastic with his accuracy and delivery of late.

Moreno is a caveman. Speed, pace, and power. He would get caught not thinking far too often and let himself get out of position. One is playing Chess while the other is playing checkers

Moreno is more like a Jack Russell running all over the board and chewing the pieces up.

Anyway Robbo is class and anybody would have a tough task replacing his spot at this point.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #351: Feb 28, 2018 10:15:46 pm
      He proves that if we scout well, we should not break the bank every time we need a player. Do not get me wrong, we need great players and I willing to spend big but not every time with a brilliant scout department.

I think that’s particularly true with modern full backs. City spent a fortune in the summer recruiting three of them for something like £150 million but you’ve only got to look at players like Clyne, Trippier, Bertrand and Robertson to see that there is plenty of quality in the lower prem/championship.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #352: Feb 28, 2018 10:30:16 pm
      This is a terrible signing. I don't know what we were thinking. Bottom of the barrel LB doesn't solve our problems. I wonder why Robertson was so easy to sign :roll:

Remember when this was posted? This was before he had even played too. Reminds me of something my Grand Father use to say. “It’s one thing for people to think you’re and idiot. It’s another for you to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #353: Feb 28, 2018 11:47:55 pm
      Smashing prospect who is doing a great job at the moment and has plenty improving still to do.

That he’s a great kid and a right good character fit for LFC is a bonus ;)

The thing in bold is key for me. As you say, great prospect, young, passionate and obviously loves playing for our great club. People do seem to forget too easily that he has a lot of improving to do though. Still think that two areas he has a lot of room for improvement are his decision making in the final 3rd (already has improved a great deal since the Palace game) and his composure when we're trying to play it out from the back. He looks good defensively.

It's actually pretty funny that you, as one of his biggest fans, are one of the very few people actually calling him out for his mistakes in games. Fair play to you for that, mate. Because lets not kid ourselves, he has made quite a few mistakes, but for some reason he just seems to get away with it and people rarely mention them.

Thought that after the City game he had a pretty average month. Might have been fatigue due to playing a ton of games over the festive period. After that he recovered well against Porto where he had a great game and looked good against West-Ham too.

Moreno is more like a Jack Russell running all over the board and chewing the pieces up.

Anyway Robbo is class and anybody would have a tough task replacing his spot at this point.

You mean like Robertson chasing a lost cause like a Jack Russell against City for which he was praised as it showed he was passionate? I guarantee you that if that had been Moreno, he had been crucified for being a lunatic running out of position.

Same for the goal we conceded against West-Ham. Robertson was caught out by Can losing possession. Of course he was in no way at fault, he was where he was supposed to be for the build up play. Had it been Moreno, he would've been an idiot for being so high up the pitch and being out of position.

The double standards with which certain players get judged is annoying. Says a lot that his biggest fan on this forum is able to judge him more objectively than many other posters.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #354: Mar 01, 2018 07:35:27 am

It's actually pretty funny that you, as one of his biggest fans, are one of the very few people actually calling him out for his mistakes in games. Fair play to you for that, mate. Because lets not kid ourselves, he has made quite a few mistakes, but for some reason he just seems to get away with it and people rarely mention them.

Same for the goal we conceded against West-Ham. Robertson was caught out by Can losing possession. Of course he was in no way at fault, he was where he was supposed to be for the build up play. Had it been Moreno, he would've been an idiot for being so high up the pitch and being out of position.

The double standards with which certain players get judged is annoying. Says a lot that his biggest fan on this forum is able to judge him more objectively than many other posters.

Morning Danz,

When it comes to young players you have to expect them to make mistakes - what (in my experience) you want to see is the change curve and (ideally) an element of working it out themselves. As a coach I was never bothered about silly one-off errors (misplaced pass / miss kick) but more by the root cause.......do they not look before passing, were they in the wrong position to receive, did the midfield not show, is there a problem with technique, did they react with the wrong leg etc etc.......

I agree wholeheartedly he’s not the finished article and he does make and will make more mistakes. Defensively his lines are generally sound. He needed to sort out the back post with the left cb a few weeks ago but they seem to have done that - I thought he was leaving himself with the wrong man. Zonally correct but practically an error you sort as a coach if they’ve not picked up themselves. 

Personally (had an exchange with WAHS) I wouldn’t have blamed Bertie for the West Ham goal - that’s where a system fails due to an individual error (Can). As you and I have exchanged before my bigger concern with Bertie is that he drifts out of position when we’re deeper, has a tendency to pick up the wrong man and ultimately adopts the wrong lines in recovery. I’ve yet to see a material improvement in them - but that’s to my eyes and I may be being harsh. I do think in the final 3rd he improved his delivery and generally was tidier in his offensive play and in transition.

I think these things become uneccessarily “good guy” or “bad guy” because most fans want a “silver bullet” or a panacea and that translates into a “villain”.

Funnily enough I do think we’re only beginning to scratch the surface with this lad. I’ve seen him actually playmake in internationals from left back such was the quality of his passing and I don’t think we’ve yet seen that level from him.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018 08:25:28 am by Scotia »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #355: Mar 07, 2018 07:04:38 pm
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #356: Mar 07, 2018 07:06:51 pm
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #357: Mar 07, 2018 07:47:34 pm
      Class kid this we’ve got on our hands.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #358: Mar 07, 2018 09:25:21 pm
      Class kid this we’ve got on our hands.

Yeah the scouts did they're job on that one.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #359: Mar 07, 2018 11:03:10 pm
      Absolute class that.

What consideration he showed and the letter is a genuine reflection of his feelings. Love the bit about the Firmino shirt.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #360: Mar 07, 2018 11:18:50 pm
      Yeah the Scot's did they're job on that one.

Fixed it for you Az ;)
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #361: Mar 07, 2018 11:36:50 pm
      This guy is amazing on and off the field. This kid has bought into the system on the pitch and into the LFC life off it. Glad this kid is part of the YNWA family.  :ernaehrung004:

Humble as hell too
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #362: Mar 08, 2018 12:35:39 am
      Class on and off the field and a little bit of self deprecation to go with it. What's not to like about this guy? If Alex McLeish has any sense (debatable) he'd make him captain of Scotland seeing as the role is up for grabs now.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #363: Mar 08, 2018 12:54:32 am
      That's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Get in, Andy! Class gesture and what a day for the young lad.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #364: Mar 08, 2018 09:02:10 am
      Great gesture and I love his self awareness there.

I dont want to keep digging on Moreno but I said a few years back when he was really struggling that he needed to keep his head down rather than posting daft videos on his Instagran of him walking his dog on his bloody Segway. The left back doesn't have to be the star he just has to do his job. Robertsons personality and awareness that he is not the main attraction is a strength and really endears the supporters towards him.

Robertson is living the dream and hes the player I can connect with the most in this Liverpool team. A young lad living the dream and he's kept himself grounded and has the intelligence to understand his role in the team.

He deserves everything his hard work and dedication provides him.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #365: Mar 08, 2018 11:45:10 am
      Outstanding gesture that, love seeing stuff like this I really do,well  done Andy & well done Alfie.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #366: Mar 10, 2018 05:00:00 pm
      That he managed to have a pretty good game in the midst of general defensive uncertainty in that first half speaks volumes for the kid.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #367: Mar 11, 2018 10:56:00 pm
      Excellent game despite the mayhem around him,

Quick Reply