Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match

Read 21349 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: Audi Cup Final
      Reply #230: Aug 02, 2017 09:53:14 pm
      It was a sh*t penalty from Hendo, it would have been sh*t even if it was just a kick about in the park.
      Having said that it was a decent run out for the team and we played ok.
      What is Hendo bringing to the team that says he should be in every first 11 when he is fit? To be a captain you have to be a player that can't be left out. Coutinho is the obvious choice.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match
      Reply #231: Aug 02, 2017 09:54:54 pm
      What is Hendo bringing to the team that says he should be in every first 11 when he is fit? To be a captain you have to be a player that can't be left out. Coutinho is the obvious choice.

That would be the manager's decision right?

Might be best if you left footballing matters to the experts and stick to your abacus.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match
      Reply #232: Aug 02, 2017 09:55:43 pm

He does the job that the manager asks from him better than anyone else in the squad.

You cannot play a front three with two attacking mids without another player sitting in front of the back four and setting the tempo.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,539 posts | 725 
      Reply #233: Aug 02, 2017 09:55:45 pm
      So Henderson's gonna be this season public enemy number 1 I take it?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #234: Aug 02, 2017 09:55:54 pm

It's just a F***ing armband. England's obsession with it is totally ridiculous.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #235: Aug 02, 2017 09:55:59 pm
      Normally 1st team playing are the ones playing decent sides...there is no A team and B team.

Go look at Spurs/Aresenal/United and talk to me about #12-22 and how wonderful they are and how they can beat up decent sides.

Bunch of f**king nutters coming out already in pre-season.

Maybe I expect #12-17 to be of similar quality as the first team? Because how many games do you think that strong 11 squad is gonna be able to play together this season due to injuries?
      How do you cope with PL games on weekend and CL games mid-week?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #236: Aug 02, 2017 09:56:19 pm
      Against C. Palace, Hertha and even against W. Brom.
      Fit Woodburn in Hendo's position and do you think our team would improve or not?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #237: Aug 02, 2017 09:57:24 pm
      It's just a F***ing armband. England's obsession with it is totally ridiculous.

True.

Also I struggle to see any correlation between a missed penalty and any captaincy credentials.

Would love Ripa to enlighten me.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #238: Aug 02, 2017 09:57:56 pm
      I treat this game as the first real test mate. They're also the first team that parked the bus against us and we again showed that we really struggled to even have any shot on target.

That's your first mistake. We weren't using our starting lineup. It was a mixture of players who are using this for fitness/match sharpness and (for many) are playing their second match in two days.

We've got no idea what happens in training or in the locker room. Hendo could be getting on guys' backs and trying to get the most out of them while Coutinho could be practicing capoeira with Bobby and Alberto in the corner... We've got f**k all idea what goes on with the team where they spend 80%+ of their time together.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #239: Aug 02, 2017 09:58:25 pm
      Fit Woodburn in Hendo's position and do you think our team would improve or not?

Get a grip. 

You really think Woodburn can take Hendersons place in the deepest midfield position?

Talking bollocks mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #240: Aug 02, 2017 09:58:32 pm
      I KNEW he was going to miss.  Just knew it .

Don't know why ..... just did .

I thought he'd miss too mate, just think the weight of responsibility is a heavy burden for Jordan. Where with Stevie you'd be supremely confident, when it comes to Hendo the whole approach just screamed a lack of conviction or belief.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #241: Aug 02, 2017 09:59:17 pm
      Maybe I expect #12-17 to be of similar quality as the first team? Because how many games do you think that strong 11 squad is gonna be able to play together this season due to injuries?

Really,

I am sure every team in Europe would love to have #12 as good as they're best players.

Fantasy land your living in.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #242: Aug 02, 2017 09:59:25 pm
      That's your first mistake. We weren't using our starting lineup. It was a mixture of players who are using this for fitness/match sharpness and (for many) are playing their second match in two days.

How could it possibly be our "first real test" today when we played 90 minutes just yesterday. Bloody nonsense. I guess people will use everything they can to confirm their own biases and opinions.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #243: Aug 02, 2017 10:00:06 pm
      I treat this game as the first real test mate. They're also the first team that parked the bus against us and we again showed that we really struggled to even have any shot on target.

Atletico

They are Champions League Semi Finalists and Finalists for the last two seasons.

They are reknown for one of the best if not THE best defensive set ups in Europe.

They have Simeone who was my second choice to Klopp to take over LFC.

The boys did well  and blew Bayern away  with our  "first" team .

Reasons To Be Cheerful .

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2017 03:29:18 am by MIRO »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #244: Aug 02, 2017 10:00:10 pm
      Get a grip. 

You really think Woodburn can take Hendersons place in the deepest midfield position?

Talking bollocks mate.
      I think his work rate and passing ability makes him a candidate in the centre. I would trial that in league cup. It's been a while since I saw a 17 year old which such passing ability. Gerrard his name was. He seems light years ahead of Can and Hendo right now. I doubt we will find a spot for him as a forward right now since it is heavily contested. Klopp even said he will be looking to keep him in midfield. He has been playing there in pre season.
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2017 10:05:47 pm by Ribapuru »
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #245: Aug 02, 2017 10:00:52 pm
      Of course you are, it's just a simple observation that if you randomly choose to treat a meaningless pre-season friendly where we started the likes of Danny Ward and Jon Flanagan and rested some of our best players as a "first real test" doesn't make it to be the case. It's still a simple pre-season fixture and fretting about it or drawing conclusions based on it is quite funny - either on a penalty miss or on whoever is a "game changer" :roll:

Fair enough mate. It was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction about the penalty. Fact is, for a long time I've wondered what exactly our captain brings to this team.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #246: Aug 02, 2017 10:03:04 pm
      Fair enough mate. It was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction about the penalty. Fact is, for a long time I've wondered what exactly our captain brings to this team.

Which is also a fair enough opinion, though I disagree (and as I said before, I think a lot of people who share that opinion are just using the moment to help them "confirm" their views). Anyway, I used to be one of Hendo's main critics in this forum, but I think today he's often harshly criticised here. I think he was doing a fine job at DM up to his injury last season. What worries me the most is if he, like Sturridge, can be trusted over a whole season.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #247: Aug 02, 2017 10:04:00 pm
      Atletico

They are Champions League Semi Finalists and Finalists for the last two seasons.

They are reknown for one of the best if not THE best defensive set up in Europe.

They have Simeone who was my second choice to Klopp to take over LFC.

The boys did well  and blew Bayern away  with our  "first" team .

Reasons To Be Cheerful .

They only brought in most of the first team players after the 60th minute though. I wish we could have played our strongest 11 against their strongest 11 to see how well we deal with a strong defensive side but of course that's not possible the way this tournament was scheduled.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #248: Aug 02, 2017 10:05:30 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #249: Aug 02, 2017 10:07:46 pm
      Griezemanns hair what a nonse.

Yeah I know nothing worthwhile to add but I thought I would join into the rest of the sh*te posted on here.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #250: Aug 02, 2017 10:07:53 pm
      Very true. Remember that game Grujic totally changed against...

And there was also that match against...

Yes it makes perfect sense!

To be fair I can't think of many instances where anyone could say "do you remember that game when Hendo turned it around".
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #251: Aug 02, 2017 10:10:11 pm

No, but FSG thinks otherwise, you have 2 full squads of players, they are good enough, otherwise they wouldn't be in the first team. Don't argue with FSG, they knows best.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #252: Aug 02, 2017 10:10:37 pm
      Griezemanns hair what a nonse.

Yeah I know nothing worthwhile to add but I thought I would join into the rest of the sh*te posted on here.

:D

Agree though.

I'd not sign him based on that hair alone.

Quick Reply