Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match

Read 21036 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match
      Reply #253: Aug 02, 2017 10:12:46 pm
      Hendo's penalty should disqualify him from our squad: right in the middle without looking, that's how women and kids do it. Mein Gott, do train penalties@lfc!

Why post stuff like that?
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match
      Reply #254: Aug 02, 2017 10:13:52 pm
      Which is also a fair enough opinion, though I disagree (and as I said before, I think a lot of people who share that opinion are just using the moment to help them "confirm" their views). Anyway, I used to be one of Hendo's main critics in this forum, but I think today he's often harshly criticised here. I think he was doing a fine job at DM up to his injury last season. What worries me the most is if he, like Sturridge, can be trusted over a whole season.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of his style of play? He always takes the safe approach and his sideway and backward passes are frustrating to watch especially when we need to score.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #255: Aug 02, 2017 10:14:39 pm
      Fair enough mate. It was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction about the penalty. Fact is, for a long time I've wondered what exactly our captain brings to this team.

Asking the same question for the last 5 or 6 years. After 1 briliant pass over 5 or 6 games suddenly everything is well and dandy. Did we not see some of the players bypassed Hendo and did not pass the ball to him? Most probably they knew they would get a return pass from Hendo anyway, 5 yards away. So, why bother.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #256: Aug 02, 2017 10:17:19 pm
      Maybe I'm just not a fan of his style of play? He always takes the safe approach and his sideway and backward passes are frustrating to watch especially when we need to score.

Been saying the same thing for the last 6 years. So, I'm getting used to Hendomania. He's neither a pure DM nor a AM, not sure what he is anyway. A Stevie box to box player??? Far from it.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #257: Aug 02, 2017 10:20:41 pm
      Asking the same question for the last 5 or 6 years. After 1 briliant pass over 5 or 6 games suddenly everything is well and dandy. Did we not see some of the players bypassed Hendo and did not pass the ball to him? Most probably they knew they would get a return pass from Hendo anyway, 5 yards away. So, why bother.

Ask yourselves this, which top team would come in for him
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #258: Aug 02, 2017 10:21:47 pm

None mate.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #259: Aug 02, 2017 10:30:27 pm

Possibly the best reply you could have given haha
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #260: Aug 02, 2017 10:31:57 pm

Ask yourself this......why has he been a first pick for 3 successive LFC managers when fit (ignoring the armband as well)?

He must have Polaroids of Kenny, BR and Jürgen in the bath together ffs.........OR they see something you don't?

Must be the bath pics eh  :f_whistle:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #261: Aug 02, 2017 10:36:39 pm
      :D

Agree though.

I'd not sign him based on that hair alone.

His haircut is criminal, some folks don't deserve hair ;D

Football.. Been a good preseason & can't wait for the next 2 weeks to do one.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #262: Aug 02, 2017 10:40:09 pm
      His haircut is criminal, sone folks don't deserve hair ;D

I've always felt William Roache - aka Ken Barlow - was egregiously overhaired in a truly meritocratic society.........
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #263: Aug 02, 2017 10:41:14 pm
      It was a sh*t penalty from Hendo, it would have been sh*t even if it was just a kick about in the park.

Wasn't much difference between his and Torres' straight after to be fair.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #264: Aug 02, 2017 10:44:34 pm
      Rather than focusing on Henderson missing a pre-season penalty, I'd be far more concerned with the fact both our center backs stood around watching as the ball is put in the back of the net after Ward's pulled out an outstanding save, rather than doing their damn job and clearing the ball. Perhaps they could clear it, perhaps it would still go in but they didn't even try which is inexcusable.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #265: Aug 02, 2017 10:45:09 pm
      Ask yourself this......why has he been a first pick for 3 successive LFC managers when fit (ignoring the armband as well)?

He must have Polaroids of Kenny, BR and Jürgen in the bath.........OR they see something you don't?

Must be the bath pics eh  :f_whistle:

Well Kenny played him on the right, which didn't work. Brendan should have signed better, that simple and now the same problem falls to Jürgen. His first attempt with Keita appears to have failed but it's at least encouraging he's looking in that area of the pitch. Hopefully that continues and I haven't given up hope that we might get someone in this window.

It's like how people use his England place to justify it too mate, England are bang average, it's his level. You ask any top midfielder from an opposing side what it's like to play against Henderson, do you think any of them would put him up there in the top 5 or even 10 they've played against? Not a chance, he's a pest, an irritant but he never dominates or controls like the proper generals.

He's average, not bad, occasionally plays sh*te, occasionally plays really well, most of the time he's doing very little with the ball. If he gave me some of those 5 yard balls straight back to me I'd hoof that ball at him in training, they simply invite pressure and it's his most commonly played pass. They're completely counter productive. I could understand if he gave it back and moved but he gives it back and stands there staring, but he's a nice lad and as honest a pro as you'd ever meet so let's all ignore his weaknesses.

Imagine our current team with a Gerrard at peak form, Hamman, Mascherano, Alonso, you know real central midfield players.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #266: Aug 02, 2017 10:46:54 pm
      Rather than focusing on Henderson missing a pre-season penalty, I'd be far more concerned with the fact both our center backs stood around watching as the ball is put in the back of the net after Ward's pulled out an outstanding save, rather than doing their damn job and clearing the ball. Perhaps they could clear it, perhaps it would still go in but they didn't even try which is inexcusable.

Clear example from last season why Klavan is useless for even a 4th choice CB.
      His signing is a example of getting what you pay for peanuts!

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #267: Aug 02, 2017 10:50:32 pm
      I thought he'd miss too mate, just think the weight of responsibility is a heavy burden for Jordan. Where with Stevie you'd be supremely confident, when it comes to Hendo the whole approach just screamed a lack of conviction or belief.
      Glad that he was the one to miss and not Kent or Grujic god knows how it would have effected them
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #268: Aug 02, 2017 10:53:45 pm
      Glad that he was the one to miss and not Kent or Grujic god knows how it would have effected them

It was a F***ing friendly used to build up fitness.

WTF is wrong with the so called fan base!!

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #269: Aug 02, 2017 10:53:58 pm
      Thought at times that they bullied and Rough house our team... The team that played Bayern would have blow these away... Klopp did the right thing in resting players
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #270: Aug 02, 2017 10:54:28 pm
      Wasn't much difference between his and Torres' straight after to be fair.

Well I'm going with Torres meant to do it, Hendo didn't. ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #271: Aug 02, 2017 10:56:50 pm
      I wouldn't be using Torres' pen as a defence for Hendo, Torres is a notoriously poor penalty taker, misses on average about 1 in 3.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #272: Aug 02, 2017 10:57:08 pm
      Well Kenny played him on the right, which didn't work. Brendan should have signed better, that simple and now the same problem falls to Jürgen. His first attempt with Keita appears to have failed but it's at least encouraging he's looking in that area of the pitch. Hopefully that continues and I haven't given up hope that we might get someone in this window.

It's like how people use his England place to justify it too mate, England are bang average, it's his level. You ask any top midfielder from an opposing side what it's like to play against Henderson, do you think any of them would put him up there in the top 5 or even 10 they've played against? Not a chance, he's a pest, an irritant but he never dominates or controls like the proper generals.

He's average, not bad, occasionally plays sh*te, occasionally plays really well, most of the time he's doing very little with the ball. If he gave me some of those 5 yard balls straight back to me I'd hoof that ball at him in training, they simply invite pressure and it's his most commonly played pass. They're completely counter productive. I could understand if he gave it back and moved but he gives it back and stands there staring, but he's a nice lad and as honest a pro as you'd ever meet so let's all ignore his weaknesses.

Imagine our current team with a Gerrard at peak form, Hamman, Mascherano, Alonso, you know real central midfield players.

It's unfortunate that he plays better for England than for hiis team. A one dimensional player, who plays it by the book.....and he is captian of Lpool ???.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #273: Aug 02, 2017 10:59:48 pm
      It was a f**king friendly used to build up fitness.

WTF is wrong with the so called fan base!!
      What creep up your ass and die...? fan base or not, Friendly or not It could have effected them, missing a penalty a costing their team the game... Henderson has a older head on his shoulder and is less likely to be one on one with the keeper give where he plays compere to Kent and Grujic, much rather it be him who losses confidence than those two   
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #274: Aug 02, 2017 11:02:49 pm

Are we talking about men or little girls here?

You miss a pen you move on, the game isn't about penalties, it's about everything else that you actually do 98% of the time as a professional footballer (on the pitch). If missing a penalty destroys these guys' confidence, they really shouldn't be playing football and shouldn't be playing for Liverpool.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #275: Aug 02, 2017 11:03:27 pm

We would be significantly better with Keita in the middle of the pitch instead of Hendo. I reckon that's Klopp's idea of how we can penetrate the bus parkers.

Quick Reply