Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match

Read 21044 times
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match
      Reply #276: Aug 02, 2017 11:11:14 pm
      What creep up your ass and die...? fan base or not, Friendly or not It could have effected them, missing a penalty a costing their team the game... Henderson has a older head on his shoulder and is less likely to be one on one with the keeper give where he plays compere to Kent and Grujic, much rather it be him who losses confidence than those two   

I looked at him today, and he played one forward pass, everything else was sidewards or back, which is his normal game, thats not saying that sometimes the ball is a 'hot potato' where you go for the safe option, but he did not look up once, he was in space a lot of times, but his mind was made up.  That to me is not a Liverpool captian.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 pens) Audi Cup Final: In game and Post Match
      Reply #277: Aug 02, 2017 11:21:09 pm
      Might be pre season but we just played 2 champion league semi finalists. And over 90 minutes we won 1 and drew 1. They are tough teams. It's been worth it and we have done well.

Considering it's been a few years since we were in the competition and they have both been playing at the highest level consistently we showed we can compete.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #278: Aug 02, 2017 11:22:02 pm
      Well, Firmino looks pretty boss at penalties
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #279: Aug 02, 2017 11:34:15 pm
      Well Kenny played him on the right, which didn't work. Brendan should have signed better, that simple and now the same problem falls to Jürgen. His first attempt with Keita appears to have failed but it's at least encouraging he's looking in that area of the pitch. Hopefully that continues and I haven't given up hope that we might get someone in this window.

It's like how people use his England place to justify it too mate, England are bang average, it's his level. You ask any top midfielder from an opposing side what it's like to play against Henderson, do you think any of them would put him up there in the top 5 or even 10 they've played against? Not a chance, he's a pest, an irritant but he never dominates or controls like the proper generals.

He's average, not bad, occasionally plays sh*te, occasionally plays really well, most of the time he's doing very little with the ball. If he gave me some of those 5 yard balls straight back to me I'd hoof that ball at him in training, they simply invite pressure and it's his most commonly played pass. They're completely counter productive. I could understand if he gave it back and moved but he gives it back and stands there staring, but he's a nice lad and as honest a pro as you'd ever meet so let's all ignore his weaknesses.

Imagine our current team with a Gerrard at peak form, Hamman, Mascherano, Alonso, you know real central midfield players.

Different types of players Luke - none of them are directly comparable with Henderson or for that matter each other!

To be honest I was just having a bit of fun and turning the question on it's head. Forgot how this lad really winds some (including good posters) up.

I still think we're a better team when he's in it than any available alternative but for the love of god I'm not opening up that can of worms again ;)
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2017 11:38:31 pm by Scotia »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #280: Aug 02, 2017 11:37:53 pm
      Different types of players Luke - none of them are directly comparable with Henderson or for that matter each other!

I know what you mean mate but that sounds like a really damning deflection. If he can't be compared to any of them then is he really anything but an average player?

To be honest I was just having a bit of fun. Forgot how this lad really winds some (including good posters up).

Fair enough.

I still think we're a better team when he's in it than any alternative.

I think that's a case that can be made too mate and it's the one area of the squad which I'd agree with all that has nowhere near enough quality in it right now. I have the above opinion of Henderson and even I struggle to get him out of the first XI. That is by no means a compliment to Henderson, it's a slap to the rest of the lads I'm afraid.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #281: Aug 02, 2017 11:44:36 pm
      Rather than focusing on Henderson missing a pre-season penalty, I'd be far more concerned with the fact both our center backs stood around watching as the ball is put in the back of the net after Ward's pulled out an outstanding save, rather than doing their damn job and clearing the ball. Perhaps they could clear it, perhaps it would still go in but they didn't even try which is inexcusable.
      To be fair to our defenders the moment the Athletico player struck the ball they're thinking goal then stopped, then Danny Ward has pulled off an unbelievable save but then their momentum has stopped.

That said I hope they've learnt that lesson now and not during a 3 point decider against Citeh, Utd or Chelsea.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #282: Aug 02, 2017 11:47:02 pm
      This obsession with the captains armband really does make me laugh
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #283: Aug 02, 2017 11:48:54 pm
      I know what you mean mate but that sounds like a really damning deflection. If he can't be compared to any of them then is he really anything but an average player?

Fair enough.

I think that's a case that can be made too mate and it's the one area of the squad which I'd agree with all that has nowhere near enough quality in it right now. I have the above opinion of Henderson and even I struggle to get him out of the first XI. That is by no means a compliment to Henderson, it's a slap to the rest of the lads I'm afraid.

I've honestly never known a player who was as divisive in my 40 years watching the club.

Some see the player I see and some the one you do........this is one you and I have always had different specs on for but I definitely think we need more balance in the middle overall.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #284: Aug 02, 2017 11:52:11 pm
      I've honestly never known a player who was as divisive in my 40 years watching the club.

Some see the player I see and some the one you do........this is one you and I have always had different specs on for but I definitely think we need more balance in the middle overall.

Fair enough, I can live with that.  :gt-happyup:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #285: Aug 03, 2017 12:12:37 am
      He's average, not bad, occasionally plays sh*te, occasionally plays really well, most of the time he's doing very little with the ball. If he gave me some of those 5 yard balls straight back to me I'd hoof that ball at him in training, they simply invite pressure and it's his most commonly played pass. They're completely counter productive. I could understand if he gave it back and moved but he gives it back and stands there staring, but he's a nice lad and as honest a pro as you'd ever meet so let's all ignore his weaknesses.

Imagine our current team with a Gerrard at peak form, Hamman, Mascherano, Alonso, you know real central midfield players.

You can bloody add Lucas to that list imo. Still gutted he was sold and not replaced, and yes, I am still salty about that. He was our best ball player and DM imo (still had a few more miles in him as shown last season and pre season imo), had a lot of beastly games (even last season) where he controlled the middle with his ball shifting and defensive awareness, and how many times did he initiate the attack with his passes from deep?! Something Hendo really needs to learn, but I don't think he will ever be as good as Lucas in those areas :( oh, and does Lucas ever lose an aerial battle?!?!?!

Anyway, not that Hendo is a bad #6, and I think he has been doing a decent job there, but the sooner we buy a proper DM (doesn't even have to be exceptional or world class) the better. I reckon we will see a significant difference in the middle if that happens.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #286: Aug 03, 2017 12:43:03 am
      If anything all the game did prove is that we definitely need another centre-half.

Although I think Woodburn will be a talent, I'd be pushing Kent ahead of him this season and also thought Ejaria did well when he came on.

As some of said already in this thread time to end the Milner at left back experiment and make a choice between either Robertson or Moreno to start against Watford, as I personally thought Robertson also looked comfortable when he came on.

At least we know we got a back up penalty taker in Bobby!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #287: Aug 03, 2017 12:55:10 am
      You can bloody add Lucas to that list imo. Still gutted he was sold and not replaced, and yes, I am still salty about that. He was our best ball player and DM imo (still had a few more miles in him as shown last season and pre season imo), had a lot of beastly games (even last season) where he controlled the middle with his ball shifting and defensive awareness, and how many times did he initiate the attack with his passes from deep?! Something Hendo really needs to learn, but I don't think he will ever be as good as Lucas in those areas :( oh, and does Lucas ever lose an aerial battle?!?!?!

Anyway, not that Hendo is a bad #6, and I think he has been doing a decent job there, but the sooner we buy a proper DM (doesn't even have to be exceptional or world class) the better. I reckon we will see a significant difference in the middle if that happens.

I think the same about Lucas. I think Henderson has the physical ability to press for extended periods and is quick enough. I don't think he his a chess-player footballer, more like a reactive English footballer.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #288: Aug 03, 2017 01:14:50 am
      If anything all the game did prove is that we definitely need another centre-half.

Although I think Woodburn will be a talent, I'd be pushing Kent ahead of him this season and also thought Ejaria did well when he came on.

As some of said already in this thread time to end the Milner at left back experiment and make a choice between either Robertson or Moreno to start against Watford, as I personally thought Robertson also looked comfortable when he came on.

At least we know we got a back up penalty taker in Bobby!

I think it proved more than that, mate. Granted we didn't have a first eleven out but yet again we failed to prove we're capable of unlocking sides that sit behind the ball. We're unbalanced, too focused towards counter attacking still and this Summer's transfers so far have only exacerbated the problem.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #289: Aug 03, 2017 01:28:20 am
      I think it proved more than that, mate. Granted we didn't have a first eleven out but yet again we failed to prove we're capable of unlocking sides that sit behind the ball. We're unbalanced, too focused towards counter attacking still and this Summer's transfers so far have only exacerbated the problem.

Using this game to say we can't break down the bus parkers is a bit of a reach. It's not like we had our starting 11 out there.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #290: Aug 03, 2017 01:36:34 am
      Using this game to say we can't break down the bus parkers is a bit of a reach. It's not like we had our starting 11 out there.

Add to that the fact that Atletico are probably the best bus parkers in the business right now.

At the end of the day we drew with them and they consistently get to the latter stages of European competitions and finished within 3 points of both Barca and Real the season before last and again finished 3rd in La Liga this year. This was no average bus parker, I'd take a draw with them away from Anfield any day of the week and look at it as a good result.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #291: Aug 03, 2017 06:55:20 am
      If Mignolet had pulled off the exact same save as Ward prior to their goal, you just know there would have been a couple of bad bells on here blaming him for tipping it onto the bar.  ;D

Roll on the real stuff.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: Audi Cup Final
      Reply #292: Aug 03, 2017 07:04:45 am
      Go to bed Riba....to many banana puffs for you tonight...you got a sugar high again.

You have a hard-on for him.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2017 10:15:48 am by Beerbelly »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #293: Aug 03, 2017 07:29:04 am
      I wouldn't be using Torres' pen as a defence for Hendo

I wasn't using it as a defence.  They were both poor - their keeper reacted better to Henderson's.  Henderson is terrible at most set-pieces in front of goal and I wouldn't have him as a penno taker in a friendly or even a more high pressure situation!

Having watched a few of our pre-season games, the jury's out on whether he even makes our starting XI but that's a different matter
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #294: Aug 03, 2017 07:58:47 am
      What creep up your ass and die...? fan base or not, Friendly or not It could have effected them, missing a penalty a costing their team the game... Henderson has a older head on his shoulder and is less likely to be one on one with the keeper give where he plays compere to Kent and Grujic, much rather it be him who losses confidence than those two   

Well something has clearly affected the development of your cerebral cortex if that's the way you think.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #295: Aug 03, 2017 09:45:13 am
      A lot of people suffering from transfer window depression on here and its manifesting in almost every LFC related thread.

Window is not closed yet lads, if its the same when it does we'll go all Heavens Gate and commit suicide together.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #296: Aug 03, 2017 09:47:56 am
      Fit Woodburn in Hendo's position and do you think our team would improve or not?

No not, he's too lightweight to play in that position.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #297: Aug 03, 2017 09:55:02 am
      Wasn't much difference between his and Torres' straight after to be fair.

erm yes there was, Torres's penalty, similar to Grujic, was straight down the middle and impossible to save unless the keeper stays put. Hendo's penalty was classic crap English penalty, a foot off the ground, no pace and a yard in from the post.

Look at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, but it was a sh*t penalty, end of story.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #298: Aug 03, 2017 10:18:25 am
      I wasn't using it as a defence.  They were both poor - their keeper reacted better to Henderson's.  Henderson is terrible at most set-pieces in front of goal and I wouldn't have him as a penno taker in a friendly or even a more high pressure situation!

Having watched a few of our pre-season games, the jury's out on whether he even makes our starting XI but that's a different matter

Would rather have 3 from Can, Wijnaldum, Coutinho & Lallana.

Quick Reply