Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre Match: Watford vs Liverpool, Sat 12th August 2017 K.O. 12:30

Read 14587 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Pre Match: Watford vs Liverpool, Sat 12th August 2017 K.O. 12:30
      Reply #23: Aug 06, 2017 04:55:38 pm
      The Starters........

Karius

Trent A A         Matip     Lovren    Robertson

Wijnaldom         Henderson

Coutinho

Salah                                Mane
                                                       Firmino

Bench:    Mignolet, Klavan, Milner, Can, Solanke, Kent, Grujic

I think Jürgen will start the season with Karius and see how he fares, commands his area better and his distribution is much better,  Matip & Lovren , until VVD comes in this is our best cb pairing imo, TAA takes the RB slot and perhaps has made it his own, at LB I've gone for Robertson over Moreno, better defender, more astute, better end product,

for me we can't have both Hendo & Can in the same X1, since Hendo is skip he gets my nod, Gini alongside him will link up with our attackers, and can break up play, Coutinho if fit has to play, he's simply our best player and creator supreme,

Mane, Salah & Bobby the defence destroyers, with their cunning running and turn of speed will give defenders nightmares, I think last season we lacked pace at times, especially against the bus parkers, Klopp has hopefully rectified that we problem for this campaign.

The Finishers......

Our bench last season was woefully short in quality, it's still not as good as it should be imo, however, it is atm better, whoever is plucked from the bench will obviously depend on the score, fitness, tactics etc during the 90+ mins, needless to say those players who come on should do so with minimum disruption, everyone to a man whether they are starters or finishers need to be on their metal and ready to run/work their gonads off.

Twatford away, although difficult should see us win our first 3 pts, i'm confidant for the win and can see us being to good for them,

1-3,  Salah, Gini, and Solanke with the goody goody gumdrops.

YNWA

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: Aug 06, 2017 05:15:40 pm
      Karius

TAA   Matip   Lovren   Moreno

Henderson

Gini     Coutinho

Salah   Firmino   Mane   

This is the team I assume will start with the possible change of Karius/Migs, not 100% sure which way Jürgen is leaning on this one at moment.

It's a quality side that should get the job done.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #25: Aug 06, 2017 05:21:07 pm
      With only 6 days to go to the opener, this thread is looking like a pre-match thread, title changed.

For members, don't forget the team builder. https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?action=lineup

NB: Team no longer available

There is an error for Mane is written Kane :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26: Aug 06, 2017 05:23:54 pm

Ah that explains it Pups, thought we'd signed Harry and sold Mane  ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

YNWA
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #27: Aug 06, 2017 05:29:35 pm

Ah that explains it Pups, thought we'd signed Harry and sold Mane  ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

YNWA

I would rather keep them both. I'm greedy :)
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #28: Aug 06, 2017 05:56:57 pm
      Wijaldum over Can? My lord
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29: Aug 06, 2017 06:14:38 pm

The thing on that choice is do you play Can with Henderson, whenever they're paired they look too similar (as pointed out by Purple Monkey in a recent match thread). So the choice in my opinion is either Can or Henderson then Grujic or Wijnaldum.
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #30: Aug 06, 2017 06:31:01 pm
      The thing on that choice is do you play Can with Henderson, whenever they're paired they look too similar (as pointed out by Purple Monkey in a recent match thread). So the choice in my opinion is either Can or Henderson then Grujic or Wijnaldum.

Not sure about that think  Can has a bit more going forward and can beat and run at players. I know thats not necessrily the job there but Wijnaldum especially away from home just goes missing far to much and is a bit to safe for my liking. Get what your saying about Grujic though could be a monster of a player as long as he channels his agression which he will with time and good coaching
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31: Aug 06, 2017 06:45:21 pm
      Not sure about that think  Can has a bit more going forward and can beat and run at players. I know thats not necessrily the job there but Wijnaldum especially away from home just goes missing far to much and is a bit to safe for my liking. Get what your saying about Grujic though could be a monster of a player as long as he channels his agression which he will with time and good coaching

Yeah, I think much of PM's point was regarding Can and Henderson taking each other's space and trying to do the same thing more than being similar in style so I worded that poorly, apologies on that one.

Certainly Can has the ability to beat a man and you rarely if ever see Henderson do that. When it came to my choice for the 6 I went with Hendo just because we need more mobility back there. You could see even against Athletic's B team how that on the break we were exposed in the centre far too easily. Our midfielders had pushed on beyond their attackers and not one of them had the pace to influence the play beyond the first pass.

While Hendo isn't the quickest I think he has more discipline to actually sit and not get beyond their 'attack' so to speak when we have the ball. He is also a touch quicker than Can over those first few important yards.

Grujic I believe will be given a chance this year, yet again he's looked decent in pre-season and the lad is without doubt an absolute mountain. He's still most certainly raw, but there's talent there and unquestionably an eye to get in the box and score goals.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #32: Aug 06, 2017 06:46:29 pm

Can has some assets but he turns play and adds to the tempo much like

rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #33: Aug 06, 2017 06:58:04 pm
      Can has some assets but he turns play and adds to the tempo much like

Ha ha I know what you mean at times but apparently was injured at times so will give him benefit of doubt. Still would have him in front of Wijnaldum now lallana out
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #34: Aug 06, 2017 06:59:10 pm

Will definitely prefer Gini to Can. Gini isn't as spectacular. But, that's because he does the basic things right when compared to Can.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #35: Aug 06, 2017 07:30:44 pm

YNWA

Nowt do do with me, it's the Boss fault! :f_whistle:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #36: Aug 06, 2017 07:32:34 pm
      What is your problem? Gini is better than Can in many peoples opinions.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #37: Aug 06, 2017 08:47:38 pm

I entirely agree
      I really don't rate emre that highly and certainly don't think he does as much for us as Gini
      I think we all want can to be a better player than what he really is and selectively see more in his performances than is really there.
      Gini for me does all the hard graft, gets around the field more efficiently and allows others to perform whereas can flatters to deceive, tries to do more than he is capable of and often creates a void by his pedestrians movements forward. His passing is also pretty average.
      I would not be disappointed if he was sold and we gave Grujic more opportunities this season
      Just an opinion.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38: Aug 06, 2017 09:01:18 pm
      Gini for me does all the hard graft, gets around the field more efficiently and allows others to perform whereas can flatters to deceive, tries to do more than he is capable of and often creates a void by his pedestrians movements forward

See personally I don't see Gini doing all the hard graft, I think he's in the mould of Henderson but a lazier version. He'll track if he has to, but more often than not he prefers to get ahead of play and is left stranded. Now of course this is tactical in a lot of cases but there are enough where he's in the vicinity of the opposing break and simply doesn't do the 'hard graft' which Henderson wouldn't shirk.

To me people see more positives in Gini's play because he looks good doing it than there actually is there, best summed up as style over substance.

I believe Keita was targeted to replace Gini and with good reason too.
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #39: Aug 06, 2017 09:10:46 pm

But he isnt in mine so dont really give a flying about others especially someone who talks as much shixx as you
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #40: Aug 06, 2017 10:07:57 pm
      Will definitely prefer Gini to Can. Gini isn't as spectacular. But, that's because he does the basic things right when compared to Can.

Basic things or the easy things ?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #41: Aug 06, 2017 10:38:19 pm
      Basic things or the easy things ?

Do you remember the game against Everton last season at Goodison (well, who wouldn't)? IMO that was Ginis game. I know what you mean when you say "easy things"  (passing sideways). But, his game isn't restricted to that because he has an eye for that good pass, an eye for the goal and guard/defend the ball. His performances in the big games standout. I look at him as the unsung hero in the team.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #42: Aug 06, 2017 10:49:50 pm
      But he isnt in mine so dont really give a flying about others especially someone who talks as much shixx as you
      Who do you think you are? Don't answer that... I already know the answer.

The boss of everyone else's opinions
      A Powerful and Intelligent person

Here is the truth

If you want to slag of Gini anymore, you'll find you'll find yourself about as popular here as Donald Trump is to Hilary Clinton fans.

This to me says it is not just you prefer can, it is a slur on Gini.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2017 10:54:40 pm by Ribapuru »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #43: Aug 06, 2017 10:59:29 pm
      I expect we'll win this, Jürgen clearly has the lads ready.

Get as many points on the board early up though, before the inevitable happens and the wheels come off again.

Rinse and repeat.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #44: Aug 06, 2017 11:00:10 pm
      See personally I don't see Gini doing all the hard graft, I think he's in the mould of Henderson but a lazier version. He'll track if he has to, but more often than not he prefers to get ahead of play and is left stranded. Now of course this is tactical in a lot of cases but there are enough where he's in the vicinity of the opposing break and simply doesn't do the 'hard graft' which Henderson wouldn't shirk.

To me people see more positives in Gini's play because he looks good doing it than there actually is there, best summed up as style over substance.

I believe Keita was targeted to replace Gini and with good reason too.
      Have to disagree here, Gini will be a bit more central to supplying Key passes and more likely to get an assist. Henderson is more likely to track back and break play down. As much as I don't always rate Henderson, I think he is interchangeable with Can, which is probably why Can probably won't be starting and Gini will. Henderson and Can have been tested together and they get in each others way, either both of them go in or they both expect the other to. When Hendo and Can are on the same pitch it is like two dogs chasing a rabbit.
      I think Gini has a slight element of Lallana but not quite as attacking.
      Lallana is a bit of a blow because he is attacking but he also wins the ball in the middle of the park, which is why we hold the ball up a bit better when he is playing.
      If Coutinho plays a bit deeper like in pre season we won't miss Lallana half as much though
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2017 11:08:25 pm by Ribapuru »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: Aug 07, 2017 12:01:05 am
      Ahhh the old pre match thread.

These types of games? I would take a scrappy 'second last on MOTD' 1-0 win. You can bet the Watford manager will be getting them to defend deep, deep, deep.

Quick Reply