Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Non-League Football

Read 7512 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Non-League Football
      Aug 07, 2017 10:16:07 pm
      Any followers of non-league football here?

I've attended A LOT of football matches since moving to the UK, and I must say the matches where I probably had the most fun were actually those of a local non-league club called City of Liverpool FC.

Cheap tickets (£5 for adults), you can drink beer and watch the game, a fun atmosphere with lots of great people involved. Doesn't get much better than that really.

It also helps that COLFC were so successful in their first ever season (2016/17), winning promotion and two cups!

I was in Padiham this weekend and saw them win their first ever FA Cup match against Padiham FC.
      On Saturday they start the league campaign for the 2017/18 season at home, if anyone is interested in attending. They play in Bootle.

Would also love to know of other non-league teams that people from the forum might follow, or even play for!
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Re: Non-League Football
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2017 05:00:03 am
      Nice thread Diego, non league football is such an important part of the overall game in our country. It gives players a chance to find their level and enjoy the sport and also for spectators who may not be able to afford to watch professional football. There will also be a local team near you in most areas of the UK.

I follow AFC Fylde as I used to play for them in their former glory.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #2: Aug 19, 2017 01:58:05 am
      I would go check out which ever local teams were close by if if i was back in England.Like the idea of doing something like this.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmEK6Xr1F1s
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3: Aug 23, 2017 12:42:18 am
      Damn, COLFC won their replay 8-2!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: Aug 30, 2017 12:42:23 pm
      Used to go down and watch AFC Liverpool when they were at Valerie Park - they're in the same division as City of Liverpool I think.

Always good for some crunching tackles and helped massively that the bar was next to the pitch.

The problem with non league football is the same that rugby league used to suffer with.  They don't have the facilities, or the pitches, to make it comfortably through the winters.  It's one thing going to a Premier League ground in the middle of winter but it's far less fun to do so for a non league side.

They get to February and they've got to play about 10 games in a fortnight!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2018 04:17:17 pm
      I was having a saddo browse of the non league tables and Barnstaple in the North Devon league gave up 293 goals in 28 games! :soccer_h4h: :holyshit:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Jun 02, 2018 04:54:15 pm
      I was having a saddo browse of the non league tables and Barnstaple in the North Devon league gave up 293 goals in 28 games! :soccer_h4h: :holyshit:

Barnstaple town play in the evostick league one and only conceded 105 goals in 42 games
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #7: Jun 02, 2018 05:38:39 pm
      Shortage of keepers and defenders in Barnstaple then,all on the scrumpy.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2018 05:47:21 pm
      Shortage of keepers and defenders in Barnstaple then,all on the scrumpy.

Yeah those north devon mob are a funny bunch
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #9: Aug 23, 2018 03:35:36 pm
      My brothers son has just signed for Rylands FC in the North West Counties League.
      He signed from Tranmere in the summer.
      Full Back.....Keep an eye on him, one for the future.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2018 04:31:32 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45692921.I remember this guys name,did he have a trial with our u-18;s or was it just we should of looked at him cos he's local?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: Sep 30, 2018 01:10:00 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45692921.I remember this guys name,did he have a trial with our u-18;s or was it just we should of looked at him cos he's local?

Was in our youth team for six years until he left & joined Tranmere in 2008.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #12: Apr 22, 2019 04:47:22 pm
      My brothers son has just signed for Rylands FC in the North West Counties League.
      He signed from Tranmere in the summer.
      Full Back.....Keep an eye on him, one for the future.

I see they've got promoted.Big game Bootle v COL today, 2nd against 1st,3pts seperating the teams.   

Bootle 1-0 winners top on goals diff,1 game to go.
      « Last Edit: Apr 22, 2019 05:42:22 pm by Boston not la »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #13: Apr 23, 2019 07:34:31 pm

I see they've got promoted.Big game Bootle v COL today, 2nd against 1st,3pts seperating the teams.   

Bootle 1-0 winners top on goals diff,1 game to go.

Against "City of Liverpool".. neck and neck they are. Should be a cracking final game.

Yeah, my nephew Tom is made up, big grin on his face all day yesterday.
      Big step up next season which he's really looking forward to.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #14: Apr 29, 2019 07:18:54 pm
      So Bootle went something like 20 straight wins drew the last game,COL win their last game and take the title.Also noted Marine got relegated on the last day and FC united down for the first time. Leyton Orient back in the football league. Playoffs start this week i think.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #15: Dec 31, 2019 04:19:52 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50948581. seems to be a few of these type of stories kicking around non league footy.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Dec 31, 2019 06:41:21 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50948581. seems to be a few of these type of stories kicking around non league footy.

Classic sketch on an American comedy show features a basketball team in the changing room at halftime. Team is getting throttled. Coach asks the player if there is anything he wants to say to the team and he responds:

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure if we go out through THAT door, the bus is right outside and we can be out of here before anyone knows we're leaving."  :)

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #17: Mar 13, 2020 06:22:03 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51877974.Mixed bag for non league cancellations,think more than a few clubs could go bye bye if a total ban kicks in,you'd like to think the rich at the top will throw a few coins in the bucket?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #18: Mar 27, 2020 08:10:48 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52070349.I remember them cos of Jimmy Case playing there.Shame for them after the sh*te the club went thru and shame on the football authorities.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #19: Mar 27, 2020 08:18:46 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52070349.I remember them cos of Jimmy Case playing there.Shame for them after the sh*te the club went thru and shame on the football authorities.

That is a shame on South Liverpool,

That Jericho Lane hub is a boss set up though and is great for the kids footie on a Sunday. Nephew was playing there every week until everything stopped.

He's already moaning about not being able to play footie

Quick Reply