Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where will LFC finish in 2017-18?

1st
      13 (22.8%)
      2nd
      5 (8.8%)
      3rd
      7 (12.3%)
      4th
      10 (17.5%)
      5th
      8 (14%)
      6th
      12 (21.1%)
      7th-10th
      2 (3.5%)
      Bottom half of the table
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Aug 26, 2017 07:59:20 am

Preseason Predictions - Where Will Liverpool Finish in the Premiership?

Read 7839 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Preseason Predictions - Where Will Liverpool Finish in the Premiership?
      Aug 10, 2017 04:58:39 pm
      I will start with a shocking prediction that the league title FINALLY returns to Anfield this season, as Klopp's Reds win 30 matches, draw four and lose 4 for a 94 point winning total.

I reckon Man City are our toughest rivals for the crown.

How about the rest of you. Where will we finish?

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Preseason Predictions - Where Will Liverpool Finish in the Premiership?
      Reply #1: Aug 10, 2017 06:07:42 pm
      94 points! That is optimistic.

I'll say 4th place and CL quarters - January window needed for a signing or two. I think Man City will win the title. Craig Shakespeare to be the first manager sacked followed by Mauricio Pellegrino.
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2017 06:13:32 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2: Aug 10, 2017 07:04:49 pm
      4th and quarter finals of CL.

No cups again.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #3: Aug 10, 2017 07:48:06 pm
      I'd settle for 4th in the league but it will be tricky. On the Champions league I'd be happy just to qualify first of all, Hoffenhiem are no mugs. If we do get through it then I'd be happy just to get out of our group and I don't think there's any shame in that as we've been out of it for a few years and we need to build again so that's why I'd prioritise the league. I think the league cup would look nice in the cabinet this season.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Aug 10, 2017 07:51:51 pm
      Of the top 4 from last season only spurs have failed to improve the squad but they probably didnt need much work done.

Arsenal havent done a whole lot but have no champions league. Utd have improved the squad.

Have we? With champions league in the equation probably not. Just dont see us having enough class outside the best 11 to deal with injuries and tiredness.

Sorry but going to say 4th at best with 6th every bit as likely
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Aug 10, 2017 07:56:06 pm
      First .

Why not ?

We were last winter .... then we imploded with injuries and absences through international tournaments.

If you take our record against all the top teams  and can solve the problem of parked buses we've cracked it.

What have we done ?

Now we have two lethal wingers to get in behind the defences and get to the goal line to cut back.

Two lethal wingers to cut in and take the ball into the box with no one risking to tackle them.

Solanke as a conventional no. 9 to harry the defenders.

If we can only stop the set piece give aways  and get some reliable goal keeping we will get to first and stay first.

Yes.

Our first title for many moons.

Never stop believing !

Y.N.W.A.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Aug 10, 2017 08:05:58 pm
      Think we'll finish in the top 3, possibly win it, CL again I think we will do well but it really depends who our group opponents will be, I do think we will run over Hoffenheim, they are a decent outfit and do pose a threat, however I believe our pre-season games were geared up to have us ready for this match, only one outcome for me and over two legs we should qualify,

the league campaign as we all know is a marathon, I think Jürgen learnt a lot last season, he's much wiser and very much more knowledgable, improvement is what we all want to see so a third place finish would be satisfactory with hopefully a piece of silverware to boot, preferably the FA Cup over the league cup, but the CL would be Nirvana.

YNWA
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #7: Aug 10, 2017 08:11:55 pm
      Premier League: 3rd
      Champions League: last 16
      FA Cup: quarter finals
      League Cup: winner

Another season of what if and some false dawns.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #8: Aug 10, 2017 08:24:31 pm
      Go along with a finish, anywhere in the top 6. Although some silverware a must. Only to shut one of my Man u friends up, from saying all our trophies have gone rusty !
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #9: Aug 10, 2017 09:20:41 pm
      If we get vvd then I think we can maybe win the league otherwise top 4 and some silverware.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Aug 10, 2017 09:31:49 pm
      5th as it stands with no more signings and phil staying
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Aug 10, 2017 10:07:52 pm
      Given that Spurs haven't strengthened, I think well just about squeeze forth spot. We'll qualify from the group stages in second place. No cup this season either though.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #12: Aug 10, 2017 10:10:58 pm
      6th on present squad. Couple of signings maybe 4th
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Aug 10, 2017 10:11:18 pm
      Hard to see past 4th. With small squad, injuries, CL football etc.
      And Firmino as striker - like him, he's willing, good ability - but is not an out and out striker and we'd be a different side with one. Without one, hard to see us genuinely challenge for a title.
      Still time before end of window :)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14: Aug 10, 2017 11:59:14 pm
      Wow I am really leading with my chin on the league title prediction.

As I think Jürgen will prioritize the league (once we get past Hoffenheim), I see us finishing 3rd in the CL group stage and then going from round of 32 to a semifinal exit in the Europa League.

I can't see us winning either Cup and I think we'll exit the League Cup a good bit earlier than we have the past two seasons.

But if we win England finally, nobody will much worry about that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: Aug 11, 2017 12:08:47 am

As I think Jürgen will prioritize the league (once we get past Hoffenheim), I see us finishing 3rd in the CL group stage and then going from round of 32 to a semifinal exit in the Europa League.

I can't see us winning either Cup and I think we'll exit the League Cup a good bit earlier than we have the past two seasons.

Not a snowball's chance in hell that Klopp will treat the CL with less attention than the league. To be honest I'm struggling to see what makes you think that would happen? Remember the ocean full of scorn that Rodgers received for starting a second string side away at Real Madrid? Klopp will be throwing everything at that competition and rightly so.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #16: Aug 11, 2017 12:37:44 am

You're delusional if you think we can win the league mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17: Aug 11, 2017 01:27:05 am
      Don't understand why anyone would suggest we'll finish outside the top 4, we had an injury crisis last season, you think we're going to be worse.

At the end of the season we were reduced to playing Origi as our striker, no winger and Milner at LB. Is that going to happen this season, no I don't think it will. Even with the extra games I think our ability to rotate will be far stronger than it was last year, if it isn't of course it will hurt us. The only place I think we'll really struggle is CM, I don't like the idea of playing Milner there.

I'd say if we went into the season with the squad we have then we can make top 4, that should be 'par' for those that like that phrase.

Who below us are a threat to pass us, United? Don't make me laugh. Arsenal, the only real threat in my opinion and there's still a chance they lose Sanchez and if that happens they've not improved at all.

Depending on fair draws I think we'll go:

League: 4th
      Champions League: Last 16 (providing we never get a group that has 2 of: Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG/Juve)
      League Cup: Quarter Final
      F.A. Cup: Winner
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #18: Aug 11, 2017 01:56:57 am
      Not a snowball's chance in hell that Klopp will treat the CL with less attention than the league. To be honest I'm struggling to see what makes you think that would happen? Remember the ocean full of scorn that Rodgers received for starting a second string side away at Real Madrid? Klopp will be throwing everything at that competition and rightly so.

Indeed and on top of that, look at his Champion's League record with Dortmund. He did amazingly well with them and still did well in the league too. There's no way he drops the CL. If anything, he'll drop the League Cup as that comes together with all the group stage games and I think the busy December period. Our progress in the CL will also determine how we treat the FA Cup probably.

At this point it's City's to lose. Guardiola's second year, the huge amount of money they have invested in players to suit his system and style of play, Kompany seemingly fit again, the quality of all their attacking players, ... Anything other than winning the league will be seen as a failure for them in my eyes.

I'm not that worried about Chelsea. A lot of people have pointed to our lack of squad depth, but how about Conte's squad then? As it stands, Conte has a squad of about 15 players (counting the injured / suspended ones) to choose from. No Hazard and no Costa, two of his most important players last season. Everyone says they have strenghtened, I don't agree. If anything, they look weaker. If Conte refuses to play Costa, it's going to cost them dearly. He might be an utter c**t, but he's a brilliant striker. Even though I really like Batshuayi, him and Morata don't even come close to Costa. Other than that, there are just like for like replacements in Rudiger for Terry and Bakayoko for Matic. They looked pretty poor in preseason too.

Same with Spurs, they have a brilliant starting eleven, but their bench looks so poor. The only good bench option they have is Son. Walker gone and now their stand-in RB is Walker-Peters (?). Still no replacement for when Kane is injured either. Their record at Wembley is poor and if they don't bring in players, it's going to be a very long season for them if they get hit by injuries.

Not really worried about Arsenal either. They'll be their usual selves, have a great spell somewhere in the season and then just everything falls to pieces again with airplanes with "Wenger out"-banners flying over the Emirates. Sanchez isn't fit to start the season, Özil is in the last year of his contract, they're not very good defensively and it remains to be seen how Lacazette does in the PL. I'm not convinced from what I've seen from him so far.

I think Mourinho will have a great shot at the "most boring team of the season"-trophy. Everything is setup to just sit back and play on the counter-attack. You can't play dominant football with Lukaku as a striker. They had a crazy amount of draws last season, I'm predicting we'll be seeing quite a few of them again this season.

My prediction (might change of course, there are still 3 weeks to go in the transfer window):

1. Manchester City
      2. Liverpool (if we manage to get Van Dijk)
      3. Chelsea
      4. Arsenal
      5. Spurs
      6. Scum
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #19: Aug 11, 2017 03:09:11 am
      Can't believe some Pundits, not the ones on here, are thinking we will finish 6th. What the F**k are they thinking???

Top 3 for sure and I'm gonna say we are going to win the whole thing.

F**k the rest of those cu*ts.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #20: Aug 11, 2017 03:41:45 am
      You're delusional if you think we can win the league mate.

You're buried in pessimism if you think we can't. You act like we were dreadful last season. This is a very good team.

What a disappointing post from a Liverpool supporter. Could you tip someone else to win it? Of course. But to look at this team and say thinking they could win is a delusion...regrettable.
      « Last Edit: Aug 11, 2017 04:05:04 am by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Aug 11, 2017 03:54:08 am

I said "prioritize", I don't mean the way Brendan did it. We're talking six group stage fixtures and most of them if not all will be tucked between two weekend league matches. He won't be making 10 changes to the side or anything like that, but as he looks to rest a players or two when there's a strong of five matches in 14 days, that kind of thing, yes, I believe he'll rest that player or two in the European match rather than on the weekend.

I believe that because he knows we're not going to win the Champions League this season, but we can get a ton of cash for making the group stage and by finishing third there are still more European nights to enjoy.

But he believes, as I do that we can win the Premier League, and in our situation i think winning the league would mean more than anything (just now). We were undefeated against other top seven teams last season because we are the best football-playing side in the league. and you have to believe we CAN improve our results against the lower-table, bus-parking sides.  Do that and you can turn about five or six of our draws into wins, a few losses into draws and we're there.

I mean, we've all said we shouldn't have been losing/drawing to those sides in the first place, hey?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #22: Aug 11, 2017 04:13:17 am
      League champions

Quick Reply