Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where will LFC finish in 2017-18?

1st
      13 (22.8%)
      2nd
      5 (8.8%)
      3rd
      7 (12.3%)
      4th
      10 (17.5%)
      5th
      8 (14%)
      6th
      12 (21.1%)
      7th-10th
      2 (3.5%)
      Bottom half of the table
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Aug 26, 2017 07:59:20 am

Preseason Predictions - Where Will Liverpool Finish in the Premiership?

Read 7844 times
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Re: Preseason Predictions - Where Will Liverpool Finish in the Premiership?
      Reply #23: Aug 11, 2017 04:18:02 am
      Between City and us, 20 days to get it sorted ,stay strong and believe in the big fella
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Aug 11, 2017 05:47:07 am
      Top two in the league.

At least QF's of the CL.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Aug 11, 2017 07:53:00 am
      Don't understand why anyone would suggest we'll finish outside the top 4, we had an injury crisis last season, you think we're going to be worse

Fot me its because of a few factors.

1) opposition have improved the squads more than us to this point.

2) this season has added stress of champions league on the squad..

3) coutinho. If he goes

4) injury prone players. Our lack of top class signings added to likliehood that the following players  will miss a lot of games through injury Matip, Sturridge, Henderson plus the fair chance that Can Lallana Ings Clyne origi will miss a clatter of games with their seasonal injuries.

4) last seasons collapse. Why wont it happen again? Especially with champions league now. We lost 2 players over winter added to the style of play taking its toll and we fell off. Why would it not repeat itself?

5) what have we done to solve our biggest weakness, dealing with balls into the box from crosses corners set pieces?? You dont sort your biggest issue how do you improve?

6) who was the last team to win the title without a 20÷30 goal a season man? Nearest we have is most likely going to miss a large chunk of games injured so thats a concern.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #26: Aug 11, 2017 08:02:14 am
      Poll added.

Gut feeling is that we haven't invested enough in the size of the squad and while we do have a very good best XI - we look relatively unprepared to deal with the injuries they will collect in a 50+ game season.

I don't see a run at the title and I think it'll be another close run thing to try and finish 4th, sadly.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #27: Aug 11, 2017 08:19:24 am
      Without no more signings we might just scramble over the line to grab Top 4.

Having lost Lucas and Stewart we have not added a single midfielder, just look at what happened last year with kids on the pitch and infants on the bench!

Jürgen will demand 100% every game so injuries are inevitable, we out of all teams require a bigger squad because of the intensity of our play.

It's still the same defence and although Lovren may is not the worse CB in the league it's more about his and Matip's ability to stay injury free which is a concern because the drop off in quality with Klavan is huge.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #28: Aug 11, 2017 09:28:14 am
      The prem is wide open this year, why not us.

How romantic  ;)
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #29: Aug 11, 2017 09:32:06 am
      You're buried in pessimism if you think we can't. You act like we were dreadful last season. This is a very good team.

What a disappointing post from a Liverpool supporter. Could you tip someone else to win it? Of course. But to look at this team and say thinking they could win is a delusion...regrettable.

No mate what's regrettable is that we barely invested in the squad over the Summer considering we have CL football ahead.

We lost ONE player last season for a few weeks and our title challenge collapsed.

That was without European football.

I'm a realist mate not a pessimist.

A pessimist would say we have no chance of finishing top 4.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #30: Aug 11, 2017 09:38:00 am
      Heart always used to say win the league every year - they've been fading for a long long time though.

I think last year I predicted 5th.

This year, I'll say it'll be another dogfight for 4th.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31: Aug 11, 2017 10:19:04 am
      Unless we get VVD and Keita, AND keep Coutinho, I think matching last season's league finish will be a fine effort. In the cups much depends on who you draw and where, but in the Champions League getting out of the group ought to be a realistic target.

If we DO get both our main transfer guys AND keep Coutinho, I think we'll give anyone a run until the lack of depth in the squad eventually trips us up. If you could guarantee Sturridge was going to stay fit and that Jürgen would play him fairly regular I'd say we'd have a right go, but ultimately the unlikelyhood of either of those happening and having a centre forward who will probs get a dozen goals or so will find us out.

My guess is we'll get VVD, Sturridge will get injured, we'll keep Phil till Christmas and perhaps get Keita then. Under those circumstances, I think we'll be sixth.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #32: Aug 11, 2017 10:45:14 am
      A miracle season with no injuries and we can challenge for the title. Our first 11-13 players are as good as anyones.

We won't have that though so I'm more pessimistic than I normally am and fear the extra workload of CL football will have a huge impact on our season if the squad stays as it is.

I have a feeling this season could be similar to Rafa's first with a great run in the CL and a struggle right to the end in the league.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #33: Aug 11, 2017 10:51:28 am
      Given that i believe we will improve every year under JK, i expect us to challenge for the title again this year and for much longer.
      I expect that should we be in a position similar to last season, then he will purchase in January to cover our shortcomings.

Every year he is developing the players, this year i expect to see our defensive unit improve and in doing so, we can close out more games successfully. The top 6 will not be as open as they were against us last season, so Phil in the  no.10 role will be vital in the big matches and i would like to see us look at getting some cover for his position in January.

Regardless of VVD or Keita, i reckon we will have enough for a place in the top 4. Keep the squad fit and improving, then i can see us mounting a challenge for the title.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #34: Aug 11, 2017 11:09:28 am
      Our important signings havent been made yet .

20 days tick tock

Pre Virgil signing was the thinking behind my punt
      £77 @ 12/1 gets me £1001 just enough  to get me over to see us lift old big ears for the 6th time
      When VVD signs lucky to get 4s
       Mon the Reds

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2017 11:25:36 am by Cad1875 »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #35: Aug 11, 2017 11:20:03 am
      I have actually voted that we will win the title, don't under estimate the power of the Klopp  :champ: :champ: :champ: Have also put my money where my mouth is and put 50 quid each way on at 12/1, if we finish 2nd I get 4/1. Now that's f*cking romantic!

1/3 odds a place? It's normally 1/4 mate, don't promise the cash for anything before you've checked ;D.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #36: Aug 11, 2017 12:18:00 pm
      1/3 odds Mick just double checked (Paddypower).

Fair play mate, good bet!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #37: Aug 11, 2017 12:54:15 pm
      City
      United
      Liverpool
      Spurs
      Arsenal
      Chelsea

Cup win and top 3. If we buy VVD, anything is possible.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #38: Aug 11, 2017 12:58:32 pm
      Citee
      Pool
      Spurs
      Scum
      Gooners
      Chavs
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #39: Aug 11, 2017 02:32:23 pm
      Random Q - do we have a fantasy football league for the forum?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #40: Aug 11, 2017 02:33:21 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #41: Aug 11, 2017 02:34:31 pm
      I bet some voters want to change their prediction now. #Brexitdejavu
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #42: Aug 11, 2017 02:35:21 pm

With the current squad, I'm saying 4th or 5th due to injuries and not strengthening properly.

If we added a couple key components (and didn't lose Phil) then I'd be liking a 1st place finish.

I'll revise once the window closes........
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #43: Aug 11, 2017 02:35:25 pm
      Citee
      Pool
      Spurs
      Scum
      Gooners
      Chavs

Is that 2nd with or without Cou?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #44: Aug 11, 2017 02:35:47 pm

Think everyone's going to have to rethink their predictions.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #45: Aug 12, 2017 02:25:21 pm
      First  :lmao:

Quick Reply