Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.9%)
      Joel Matip
      13 (11.5%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      55 (48.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      34 (30.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.8%)
      Dominic Solanke
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Aug 23, 2017 04:54:12 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24024 times
      DirtyRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Aug 21, 2017 09:18:34 am

should of had at least one assist to his name.

let's forget Charlie Adam didn't happen.

Let's not. He had the second highest number of assists that season, and he did especially well until Lucas got injured.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #369: Aug 21, 2017 09:24:52 am
      Im just happy with the 3 points. A few stand out performers, Robertson and Mane.
      Im still not convinced of our midfield pairs and what upset me more was that if they arent the most creative, then at least they should do a better job of keeping possession when we are attempting to close out a match. That midfield is extremely frustrating to watch at times.

Now im looking forward to a good week, starting with beating Hoffenheim and ending with beating Arsenal.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #370: Aug 21, 2017 10:02:56 am
      Was at the game and the thing that surprised me the most was how vocal Mignolet was in the first half (could hear the second half as he was the other end).  Had a decent game as well with a couple of crucial saves. 

Despite the (virtual) hysteria on this thread, I actually though the defence did okay.  Gomez was good, Matip & Robertson both v good and Klavan was nowhere near as bad as some have made out on here.  Plus there wasn't that sense of nervousness in the crowd about the defence. 

Thought Sturridge was better than he's being given credit for, Mane was passenger in the first half but improved and Firmino not great tbh.  Midfield pretty average but not any worse than that. Was an average performance overall but clean sheet and beating a bogey team, with several rested players means a positive overall for me.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #371: Aug 21, 2017 10:34:18 am
      Was at the game and the thing that surprised me the most was how vocal Mignolet was in the first half (could hear the second half as he was the other end).  Had a decent game as well with a couple of crucial saves. 

Despite the (virtual) hysteria on this thread, I actually though the defence did okay.  Gomez was good, Matip & Robertson both v good and Klavan was nowhere near as bad as some have made out on here.  Plus there wasn't that sense of nervousness in the crowd about the defence. 

Thought Sturridge was better than he's being given credit for, Mane was passenger in the first half but improved and Firmino not great tbh.  Midfield pretty average but not any worse than that. Was an average performance overall but clean sheet and beating a bogey team, with several rested players means a positive overall for me.

I think just because we paid £5m odd for Klavan people make him out to be worse than Lovren, which is not true. Yes, he may make mistakes but no more than Lovren and actually quite a bit less than him.

What I have noticed is that Matip is not induced in to panic when Klavan is playing. As soon as Lovren is next to him, he goes in panic mode. Also, brain dead Moreno playing on the left makes it even worse. Personally, I think it should be TAA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson/Milner as our standard back four but never ever Moreno and Lovren together. 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #372: Aug 21, 2017 10:40:28 am

Good post.

Pretty much agree re. Sturridge.

First match, 60 mins under his belt, I think he did okay - with their pen's are poised some are too eager to write him off.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2017 10:46:20 am by Beerbelly »
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #373: Aug 21, 2017 12:32:08 pm
      Good post.

Pretty much agree re. Sturridge.

First match, 60 mins under his belt, I think he did okay - with their pen's are poised some are too eager to write him off.
      Thought he was our best attacking option in the first half.  Despite plenty saying he's lost a yard or 2, he still has quick feet on the ball and demonstrated that several times.  There's been mention of him being on here as being an impact substitute, but i think Solanke fits that bill better at the moment.

We'll remain bland (for want of a better term) in midfield without Lallana or Cout (assuming he returns0, or until we sign someone else with creativity.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #374: Aug 21, 2017 12:35:10 pm
      I think just because we paid £5m odd for Klavan people make him out to be worse than Lovren, which is not true. Yes, he may make mistakes but no more than Lovren and actually quite a bit less than him.

What I have noticed is that Matip is not induced in to panic when Klavan is playing. As soon as Lovren is next to him, he goes in panic mode. Also, brain dead Moreno playing on the left makes it even worse. Personally, I think it should be TAA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson/Milner as our standard back four but never ever Moreno and Lovren together.
      Agreed and I'd maybe look to give Gomez a go at CB alongside Matip at some point.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #375: Aug 21, 2017 12:36:09 pm
      Lots of noise in media about Benteke's miss, but not a great deal about our 12 or so chances. We weren't at our best, but if just the finishing improved we could have had 8.
      Not too displeased with that overall , and 3 points on the board !
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #376: Aug 21, 2017 12:36:47 pm
      Three points end of day but would be nice get 3 points if beating Walford next two games are arsenal and spurs away two tough games come up
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #377: Aug 21, 2017 12:38:36 pm
      Just be them cu*ts utd seem get easy match's first few games season
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #378: Aug 21, 2017 12:45:36 pm
      Just be them cu*ts utd seem get easy match's first few games season

Yes everyone is going nuts for Utd at the moment, but lets see them tested against decent opposition. If they brush Leicester aside like they have West Ham and Swansea then I'll start getting a bit nervous about them.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #379: Aug 21, 2017 12:56:57 pm
      Lots of noise in media about Benteke's miss, but not a great deal about our 12 or so chances. We weren't at our best, but if just the finishing improved we could have had 8.
      Not too displeased with that overall , and 3 points on the board !
      I saw the stats after the game which were hugely in our favour, albeit I didn't think we as dominant as the stats indicated.  Balance of play, for me, was Liverpool were 2 goals better than Palace.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #380: Aug 21, 2017 01:00:46 pm
      Yes everyone is going nuts for Utd at the moment, but lets see them tested against decent opposition. If they brush Leicester aside like they have West Ham and Swansea then I'll start getting a bit nervous about them.
      Agreed; credit where it's due, they played well against West Ham, but the Swansea game was hanging in the balance till the second goal, and 4 certainly flatted them.

Utd were always likely to be top after 6 games, if you look at how the opening fixtures panned out.  That will obviously give them confidence leading up to their first genuinely tough fixture, which of course is at Anfield in October!
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #381: Aug 21, 2017 01:29:19 pm
      I was pleased with our defence, not least because there was no real sign of panic.  Still need to improve though.

Bring on hoffenheim
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #382: Aug 21, 2017 02:51:24 pm
      Let's not. He had the second highest number of assists that season, and he did especially well until Lucas got injured.

No let's really forget him, especially that penalty in the league cup final against Cardiff, last seen orbiting Saturn!!
      DirtyRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #383: Aug 21, 2017 06:22:51 pm
      No let's really forget him, especially that penalty in the league cup final against Cardiff, last seen orbiting Saturn!!

Haha. I agree about the penalty (Cassini boffin worried expression emoji).

Quick Reply