Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Hoffenheim?

Simon Mignolet
      19 (15.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      69 (57.5%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      27 (22.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.7%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Aug 19, 2017 09:41:03 pm

1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29075 times
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Re: 1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Aug 15, 2017 10:16:41 pm

Yep, just chucked him in now mate, was too excited to get to Trent's :D

No no you're not, he just pulled a fast one on you.  ;D Thought the same thing when I read it first time through - I thought you were either too excited to praise TAA or too excited to rip Lovren and Moreno.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #622: Aug 15, 2017 10:18:58 pm
      No no you're not, he just pulled a fast one on you.  ;D Thought the same thing when I read it first time through - I thought you were either too excited to praise TAA or too excited to rip Lovren and Moreno.

Bit of both probably! Yeah hand's up, completely missed him out (there's a clue it says edited) although I was tempted to take him out again to have Scott really wondering if he was losing the plot :D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #623: Aug 15, 2017 10:20:07 pm
      Could we have below midfield for return leg?

Milner   Grujic
                  Hendo

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #624: Aug 15, 2017 10:20:50 pm
      If this thing with couts continues, we need to bring Bobby into his position, 'cause he is looking like the only player with the vision at the mo.

Without Lallana and Coutinho we are definitely missing a player who can link midfield to attack. 

Also think we need another wide player as Mane and Salah are quickly going to run out of steam if they have to play every game....
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #625: Aug 15, 2017 10:22:03 pm
      Without Lallana and Coutinho we are definitely missing a player who can link midfield to attack. 

Also think we need another wide player as Mane and Salah are quickly going to run out of steam if they have to play every game....
      We can certainly do that and have Sturridge or Solanke up top.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #626: Aug 15, 2017 10:24:33 pm
      Bit of both probably! Yeah hand's up, completely missed him out (there's a clue it says edited) although I was tempted to take him out again to have Scott really wondering if he was losing the plot :D

Now that might just have him end up in an asylum quicker than having to watch our defense for a full season will. :lmao:
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #627: Aug 15, 2017 10:28:55 pm
      If this thing with couts continues, we need to bring Bobby into his position, 'cause he is looking like the only player with the vision at the mo.
      But well played boys, good win, but should have been better.
      MOM  TAA, apart from his brain fart, played great.

I think we should drop Bobby in there in the next game as it is. I think he's best played off of an out-and-out striker, I don't think he's a true #9. And it's not exactly like much would be missed if we had to drop Gini or Can from the lineup to drop Bobby back in to the creative role and push Sturridge, Solanke, or Origi up top.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #628: Aug 15, 2017 10:29:51 pm
      I'd day we've got 1 foot in the champions league proper!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #629: Aug 15, 2017 10:35:29 pm
      Gave them too much respect..made them look good..
      Won't win anything with that back four..apart from Trent, maybe.
      The sooner we buy Van Dyke and play him alongside Sakho the better.
      Lovren and Matip have been like Laurel and f**king Hardy these last two games...

Just about scraped it tonight when it should have been dead and buried by the hour mark.

Christ knows how we are gonna perform against Chrystal Palace on Saturday but Laurel needs to have a word with Hardy.

Magical moment for Trent with that free kick, inch perfect..he'll never forget that for as long as he lives. 8)

Big night at Anfield coming up for the second leg..still loads to do...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #630: Aug 15, 2017 10:47:26 pm
      Hoffenheim’s updated home form: DDWWWDWDDWWWWWWWWDL L is for Liverpool
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2156 
      Reply #631: Aug 15, 2017 10:54:12 pm

Yes mate, especially at home. I'd be tempted to take a look at Firmino in the 8 role in the same way that We have done with Lallana and Coutinho. And another wide player would also make sense, Salam was dead on his feet by 70 minutes. I really think it would be worth putting in a bid for Mahrez, slightly different player to those two but he is skilful and he is a goal threat.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,533 posts | 388 
      Reply #632: Aug 15, 2017 10:56:48 pm
      its mad how we feel exactly the same as last season... as in super going forward, coronary watch defensively... then i remember we've done nothing this summer and realise why...

squad still feels SO thin. couple looked goosed again tonight.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #633: Aug 15, 2017 11:01:20 pm
      Migs - 7. No real marks given for the penalty save given how bad it was but made the necessary stops particularly later on in that second half. Made the saves, saves which I expect a goalkeeper at this level to make. Still too slow for my liking and his attempts at sweeper keeping is like my attempts at playing Sultans Of Swing on guitar. Slow and bad. Still did his job and very much owed that performance after Sunday's debacle. Needs a whole season of performances like this though.

TAA - 8. Would have been 9 or possibly 10 had he not had his hand up in the air (more on that later) but was utterly faultless all night. What a free kick, great attack, great defending, tight on the byline, likes to get physical with opposition players. The makings of a fantastic player. He's young so will always show that bit of naivety as displayed by Hoffenheim's goal but there's no doubt, without him the result would not have been as satisfying as it was.

Matip - 7.5. Did well. Reliable throughout and clearly a cut above his partner in central defence. I have a wee bit of sympathy that he doesn't have a partner that is worthy of his own high ability of which he definitely has. Don't think he had much blame in the second goal.

Lovren - 2. The joker in the pack. Has had an appalling start to the season and is doing his best to morph into Skrtel - possibly the ultimate insult. Clumsy to give away the penalty, dived into tackles that were well off, clearances awful, coming backwards and forwards at the wrong time. While many will blame TAA (and he does share culpability) both Trent and Joel were caught out by playing a good line which they believe had enacted the offside trap...but for Dejan who played Hoffenheim onside. Yes - the goal stems from him. A lesson in how not to defend and tonight's performance just confirmed that he's a passenger in this side who has, without merit, found himself in the Champions League. Should be dropped for Klavan and in the meantime, a desperate attempt to sign Virgil Van Dijk or someone of his ilk (not that b***ard Edwards has ever watched any other centre back) is required.

Moreno - 5. Got forward at good moments but as Stevie pointed out on BT Sport it's his unnecessary and rash press high up that leaves us exposed that then resulted in Lovren's clumsiness at the other end. Also what is his obsession with heading the ball backwards or inside for the opposition player to run onto? Did it a couple of times tonight and it gave me horrific flashbacks of the Europa League final last year where such actions resulted in their equaliser. Just head it out for a throw in. Got completely mugged a couple of times and his tendency to drift so far in was on show once again tonight. Drifting inside is ok if you can get back out and block the crosses but unfortunately Moreno, in being atrocious defensively, can drift back out and completely fail to put in a decent block.

Can - 6. I'll be honest in saying that I'm slightly surprised at reading the response to Can this evening. While not an obvious presence out there I do think he offered some physical presence in the midfield and showed a willingness to drop deep and move the game forward alongside a captain in Hendo who showed too much negativity in my opinion (too many safe passes from the captain - more below)

Hendo - 5. Definitely still well short of sharpness and fitness. Pace caught him out and he was often left looking like a headless chicken. Gave the ball away sloppily a couple of times in dangerous positions and his pressing game isn't quite in sync yet. Doesn't quite have the confidence at the moment as he repeatedly gestured for his team mates alongside him to pass backwards.

Gini - 5.5. Again, like Can not an obvious presence which is a problem then given that this evening produced three relatively benign performances from our three men in midfield. Seemed to become more visible as Hoffenheim pushed further forward and started showing signs of tiredness which isn't ideal - we don't need players to start appearing only when the opposition tires and leaves space.

Mane - 8. A really good performance once again showing that without him we basically forgo the vast majority of our goal threat. Won the free kick from which TAA scored, showed strength and ran his heart out once again. Apart from not getting a goal, pretty much standard from Sadio!

Firmino - 7.5. Typical from him now - seems to be the pivot point around which the likes of Mane can do the damage. Should have scored but his presence as an enabler for Salah, Mane, Coutinho (if he comes back) is becoming priceless.

Salah - 6.5. Agree with Luke in saying he didn't look too confident at times tonight. Would have expected him to run away from the defender in that one on one chance in the first half but was too concerned about keeping the ball stuck to his foot. Excellent outlet for TAA on the right though - the two seem to compliment each other very well. Love the fact that he's willing to be the first man in the box and on the post on a rapid break.

Milner - 7.5. As fine a contribution from the bench as you can expect. Showed more precision than Hendo in midfield and his goal (I'm giving it to him even if it is officially an OG) could be priceless. He continues to show his worth as a crucial squad player for us who will always put in the miles and having him on the bench is always a nice insurance policy. Unlike a couple in this team, he's a player who deserves to be in the Champions League because of his experience, his effort and his contribution. What I like most about him is that he is a player that would have been utilised as a crucial squad player by all Liverpool managers at any point from the last 15 years. It feels like he's been at Liverpool much longer than two years.

Solanke - n/a. Not a lot of time to make an impact but showed a couple moments of quality touches and his positioning looks perfect, willing to be the target man into the box and come deep. He was in the perfect position from an over hit Salah cross that could have resulted in the third goal. To be honest with you, with him on the bench I question the merit of having Origi there and ultimately the Belgian's position at the club. Klopp doesn't need both Divock and Dominic there. Drop Divock for Woodburn I say.

Grujic - n/a. Made a critical block to save Lovren's sorry arse after another of the Croat's sorry clearances. I don't doubt he would have made a bigger contribution than Gini tonight.

Klopp - 8. Had a shocker on Saturday and was as complicit as anyone in that performance and disappointing result but made up for it today I thought. Looked much more disciplined and proactive in set pieces - not perfect but Arrigo Sacchi like in comparison to the shitshow at Vicarage Road. Substitutions paid off as well, introduction of Milner was well judged and rewarded greatly.
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017 11:14:07 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,769 posts | 461 
      Reply #634: Aug 15, 2017 11:05:42 pm
      Migs - 7. No real marks given for the penalty save given how bad it was but made the necessary stops particularly later on in that second half. Made the saves, saves which I expect a goalkeeper at this level to make. Still too slow for my liking and his attempts at sweeper keeping is like my attempts at playing Sultans Of Swing on guitar. Slow and bad. Still did his job and very much owed that performance after Sunday's debacle. Needs a whole season of that though.

TAA - 8. Would have been 9 or possibly 10 had he not had his hand up in the air (more on that later) but was utterly faultless all night. What a free kick, great attack, great defending, tight on the byline, likes to get physical with opposition players. The makings of a fantastic player. Young so will always show that bit of naivety as displayed by Hoffenheim's goal but there's no doubt - without him the result would not have been as satisfying as it was.

Matip - 7.5. Did well. Reliable throughout and clearly a cut above his partner in central defence. I have a wee bit of sympathy that he doesn't have a partner that is worthy of his own high ability of which he definitely has. Don't think he had much blame in the second goal.

Lovren - 2. The joker in the pack. Has had an appalling start to the season and is doing his best to morph into Skrtel - possibly the ultimate insult. Clumsy to give away the penalty, dived into tackles that were well off, clearances awful, coming backwards and forwards at the wrong time. While many will blame TAA (and he does share culpability) both Trent and Joel were caught out by playing a good high line which they believe had enacted the offside trap...but for Dejan who played Hoffenheim onside. Yes - the goal stems from him. A lesson in how not to defend and tonight's performance just confirmed that he's a passenger in this side who has, without merit, found himself in the Champions League. Should be dropped for Klavan and in the meantime, a desperate attempt to sign Virgil Van Dijk or someone of his ilk (not that b***ard Edwards has ever watched any other centre back) is required.

Moreno - 5. Got forward at good moments but as Stevie pointed out on BT Sport it's his unnecessary and rash press high up that leaves us exposed that then resulted in Lovren's clumsiness at the other end. Also what is his obsession with heading the ball backwards or inside for the opposition player to run onto? Did it a couple of times tonight and it gave me horrific flashbacks of the Europa League final last year where such actions resulted in their equaliser. Just head it out for a throw in. Got completely mugged a couple of times and his tendency to drift so far in was on show once again tonight. Drifting inside is ok if you can get back out and block the crosses but unfortunately Moreno, in being atrocious defensively, can drift back out and completely fail to put in a decent block.

Can - 6. I'll be honest in saying that I'm slightly surprised at reading the response to Can this evening. While not an obvious presence out there I do think he offered some physical presence in the midfield and showed a willingness to drop deep and move the game forward alongside Hendo who showed too much negativity in my opinion (too many safe passes from the captain - more below)

Hendo - 5. Definitely still well short of sharpness and fitness. Pace caught him out and he was often left looking like a headless chicken. Gave the ball away sloppily a couple of times in dangerous positions and his pressing game isn't quite in sync yet. Doesn't quite have the confidence at the moment as he repeatedly gestured for his team mates alongside him to pass backwards.

Gini - 6.5. Again, like Can not an obvious presence which is a problem then given that this evening produced three relatively benign performances from our three men in midfield. Seemed to become more visible as Hoffenheim pushed further forward and started showing signs of tiredness which isn't ideal - we don't need players to start appearing only when the opposition tires and leaves space.

Mane - 8. A really good performance once again showing that without him we basically forgo the vast majority of our goal threat. Won the free kick from which TAA scored, showed strength and ran his heart out once again. Apart from not getting a goal, pretty much standard from Sadio!

Firmino - 7.5. Typical from him now - seems to be the pivot point around which the likes of Mane can do the damage. Should have scored but his presence as an enabler for Salah, Mane, Coutinho (if he comes back) is becoming priceless.

Salah - 6.5. Agree with Luke in saying he didn't look too confident at times tonight. Would have expected him to run away from the defender in that one on one chance in the first half but was too concerned about keeping the ball stuck to his foot. Excellent outlet for TAA on the right though - the two seem to compliment each other very well. Love the fact that he's willing to be the first man in the box and on the post on a rapid break.

Milner - 7.5. As fine a contribution from the bench as you can expect. Showed more precision than Hendo in midfield and his goal (I'm giving it to him even if it is officially an OG) could be priceless. He continues to show his worth as a crucial squad player for us who will always put in the miles and having him on the bench is always a nice insurance policy. Unlike a couple in this team, he's a player who deserves to be in the Champions League because of his experience, his effort and his contribution. What I like most about him is that he is a player that would have been utilised as a crucial squad player by all Liverpool managers at any point from the last 15 years.

Solanke - n/a. Not a lot of time to make an impact but showed a couple moments of quality touches and his positioning looks perfect, willing to be the target man into the box and come deep. Was in the perfect position from an overhit Salah cross that could have resulted in the third goal. To be honest with you, with him on the bench I question the merit of having Origi there and ultimately the Belgian's position at the club. Klopp doesn't need both Divock and Dominic there. Drop Divock for Woodburn I say.

Grujic - n/a. Made a critical block to save Lovren's sorry arse after another of the Croat's sorry clearances. I don't doubt he would have made a bigger contribution than Gini tonight.

Good post, thought you were very kind to Gini though, he's been MIA the last two games

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #635: Aug 15, 2017 11:08:41 pm
      Good post, thought you were very kind to Gini though, he's been MIA the last two games

Sorry - edited. It was meant to be 5.5, not 6.5. I suspect even then I should probably revise it down a bit.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #636: Aug 15, 2017 11:10:42 pm
      Migs - 7. No real marks given for the penalty save given how bad it was but made the necessary stops particularly later on in that second half. Made the saves, saves which I expect a goalkeeper at this level to make. Still too slow for my liking and his attempts at sweeper keeping is like my attempts at playing Sultans Of Swing on guitar. Slow and bad. Still did his job and very much owed that performance after Sunday's debacle. Needs a whole season of that though.

TAA - 8. Would have been 9 or possibly 10 had he not had his hand up in the air (more on that later) but was utterly faultless all night. What a free kick, great attack, great defending, tight on the byline, likes to get physical with opposition players. The makings of a fantastic player. Young so will always show that bit of naivety as displayed by Hoffenheim's goal but there's no doubt - without him the result would not have been as satisfying as it was.

Lovren - 2. The joker in the pack. Has had an appalling start to the season and is doing his best to morph into Skrtel - possibly the ultimate insult. Clumsy to give away the penalty, dived into tackles that were well off, clearances awful, coming backwards and forwards at the wrong time. While many will blame TAA (and he does share culpability) both Trent and Joel were caught out by playing a good line which they believe had enacted the offside trap...but for Dejan who played Hoffenheim onside. Yes - the goal stems from him. A lesson in how not to defend and tonight's performance just confirmed that he's a passenger in this side who has, without merit, found himself in the Champions League. Should be dropped for Klavan and in the meantime, a desperate attempt to sign Virgil Van Dijk or someone of his ilk (not that b***ard Edwards has ever watched any other centre back) is required.

Can - 6. I'll be honest in saying that I'm slightly surprised at reading the response to Can this evening. While not an obvious presence out there I do think he offered some physical presence in the midfield and showed a willingness to drop deep and move the game forward alongside a captain in Hendo who showed too much negativity in my opinion (too many safe passes from the captain - more below)

Gini - 5.5. Again, like Can not an obvious presence which is a problem then given that this evening produced three relatively benign performances from our three men in midfield. Seemed to become more visible as Hoffenheim pushed further forward and started showing signs of tiredness which isn't ideal - we don't need players to start appearing only when the opposition tires and leaves space.

Milner - 7.5. As fine a contribution from the bench as you can expect. Showed more precision than Hendo in midfield and his goal (I'm giving it to him even if it is officially an OG) could be priceless. He continues to show his worth as a crucial squad player for us who will always put in the miles and having him on the bench is always a nice insurance policy. Unlike a couple in this team, he's a player who deserves to be in the Champions League because of his experience, his effort and his contribution. What I like most about him is that he is a player that would have been utilised as a crucial squad player by all Liverpool managers at any point from the last 15 years. It feels like he's been at Liverpool much longer than two years.

Solanke - n/a. Not a lot of time to make an impact but showed a couple moments of quality touches and his positioning looks perfect, willing to be the target man into the box and come deep. Was in the perfect position from an overhit Salah cross that could have resulted in the third goal. To be honest with you, with him on the bench I question the merit of having Origi there and ultimately the Belgian's position at the club. Klopp doesn't need both Divock and Dominic there. Drop Divock for Woodburn I say.

Klopp - 8. Had a shocker on Saturday and was as complicit as anyone in that performance and disappointing result but made up for it today I thought. Looked much more disciplined and proactive in set pieces - not perfect but Arrigo Sacchi like in comparison to the shitshow at Vicarage Road. Substitutions paid off as well, introduction of Milner was well judged and rewarded greatly.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #637: Aug 15, 2017 11:21:50 pm
      Very good win, seems I was right to be positive about this game :-)
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #638: Aug 15, 2017 11:25:45 pm
      Can't believe the gap in class between out front line and the defense. Moreno had a few decent minutes during preseason but went to his usual form tonight, and Lovren is playing really bad.

If Saints are so mad because we've been signing their players I think we can include Lovren in the deal to get VVD, we can include Moreno too as a token of good will.

2 - 1 is an excellent result, but its a shame that we couldn't keep the clean sheet.

Even though TAA had an amazing game and that goal was amazing, went with Mané for MOTM, he is truly world class, their defense just couldn't stop him.

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2017 01:48:01 am by leosc »
      DanMann

• 5,723 posts | 880 
      Reply #639: Aug 15, 2017 11:25:47 pm
      Maybe cynical, but I did notice a couple of posters in this thread who are heavily critical of Mignolet each state that they did not want to give him any credit for a penalty save.  :roll:

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #640: Aug 15, 2017 11:29:02 pm
      Maybe cynical, but I did notice a couple of posters in this thread who are heavily critical of Mignolet each state that they did not want to give him any credit for a penalty save.  :roll:

Can you imagine if he had not saved that penalty? Don't be an idiot...again.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #641: Aug 15, 2017 11:46:55 pm
      I think lovren needs a spell on the bench and give Klaven a go.
      DanMann

• 5,723 posts | 880 
      Reply #642: Aug 15, 2017 11:54:15 pm
      Can you imagine if he had not saved that penalty? Don't be an idiot...again.

Come on mate. Lighten up. It's a new season and two match threads in and you're already issuing the insults.

Any joy in your world??  ;D

Why would we judge a player on what didn't happen? Mignolet saved a penalty, but let's disregard that, or imagine if he didn't save it..... I mean... really?
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,484 posts | 231 
      Reply #643: Aug 16, 2017 12:05:58 am
      Can't believe the gap in class between out front line and the defense. Moreno had a few decent minutes during preseason but went to his usual form tonight, and Lovren is playing really bad.

If Saints are so mad because we've been signing their players I think we can include Lovren in the deal to get VVD, we can include Moreno too as a token of good will.

2 - 1 is an excellent result, but its a shame that we couldn't keep the clean sheet.

Even though TAA had an amazing game and that goal was amazing, went with Sané for MOTM, he is truly world class, their defense just couldn't stop him.

I agree with everything except I thought Sane and Mane should be man of the match  :laugh:

Quick Reply