Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Hoffenheim?

Simon Mignolet
      19 (15.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      69 (57.5%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      27 (22.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.7%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Aug 19, 2017 09:41:03 pm

1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29045 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: 1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Aug 16, 2017 12:07:39 am
      Brilliant result, very happy. Would like to see Salah left Mane right though
      TorontoRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Re: Hoffenheim - Liverpool: Live Match Thread (Tue, 15th Aug)
      Reply #645: Aug 16, 2017 12:08:39 am
      Said the same in the Watford match thread I reckon Salah would score more from the left

Was thinking the same as well. Although Salah scored a bunch of goals for AS on the right wing. From what I saw from last season's goals, they were scored with him having lot's of space where he had the freedom to position himself comfortably. From these two games (aparts for today's breakaway opportunity), it seems his opportunities quicker and directly within the box thus not allowing the option of turning on his left foot. Would be interesting to see a game with him on the left as an experiment, especially knowing Mane is 100% comfortable on the right.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #646: Aug 16, 2017 12:27:57 am
      Brilliant result, very happy. Would like to see Salah left Mane right though

I quite like inverted wingers but I'd also like to see them switch during the game and give defences a different problem with the threat of going outside and getting to the byline on their stronger foot for spells and then also posing the threat of cutting in and getting shots away the rest of the time.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #647: Aug 16, 2017 12:38:07 am
      I cannot believe Alberto Moreno is going to be our left back this season. This is actually making us a worse side than last season.

Again saw his abject failure in not tracking back.  Again.

Moreno ?  Time to get rid.   Tonight and Watford prove nothing has changed.
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2017 12:49:01 am by MIRO »
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #648: Aug 16, 2017 12:38:11 am
      Can you imagine if he had not saved that penalty? Don't be an idiot...again.

Wasn't the best penalty but like Gerrard said Mignolet made it look bad penalty by saving it. If he would of dived either way then it would have looked a good pen.

Definitely not a fan of Mignolet by any means but credit where credit is due. Also made a couple of smart saves which were pretty crucial.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #649: Aug 16, 2017 12:52:28 am

Lost a goal to them tonight due to his abject failure in not tracking back.  Again.

Moreno ?  Time to get rid.   Tonight and Watford prove nothing has changed.

I am at a loss how he is still at the club. Mystified. He must have something incriminating on someone senior at the club or such likes only rational explaination. Apparently we rejected £10M from Napoli ??? When I say £10M I don't mean the perfectly reasonably proposal we pay them £10M to take him off our hands I mean we rejected £10M of hard cash for Alberto Moreno! Comprehension alludes me on that one
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #650: Aug 16, 2017 01:20:46 am
      I am at a loss how he is still at the club. Mystified. He must have something incriminating on someone senior at the club or such likes only rational explaination. Apparently we rejected £10M from Napoli ??? When I say £10M I don't mean the perfectly reasonably proposal we pay them £10M to take him off our hands I mean we rejected £10M of hard cash for Alberto Moreno! Comprehension alludes me on that one

He's still at the club for the simple reason we have an idiot in charge of transfers, one who likes playing Championship Manager and giving press breifs about players we haven't signed more than he does actually putting bids in for players and explaining to supporters through the media, just why it is LFC can't sign its top targets year in year? Want to make a statement signing, FSG? Get rid of this idiot and replace him with someone who knows football not spreadsheets.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #651: Aug 16, 2017 01:25:47 am
      We still need cback other top midfielder and winger maybe will see Kent get game time if mane out injury or need rest
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #652: Aug 16, 2017 01:31:14 am
      I think lovren needs a spell on the bench and give Klaven a go.

We know what Klavan is about and he won't get any better.

Whack Gomez in. He is absolutely no worse than either of the other two and he could actually develop in to a very good player at the same time.

Thought Mane was MOTM. Tore them apart. TAA was excellent but partially at fault for the goal conceded along with Lovren.

Salah was rusty but he was always in the right spot, which is promising. He isn't just pace and he has a brain on him.

Thought Bob should've scored but apart from that, excellent.

Lovren, Moreno, Gini and Can - not one of these players makes it in to a side with ambition to win things and be competitive in this competition. Gini and Can are solid back ups and it showed that we're missing Lallana and Coutinho. I'll give Jürgen the benefit of the doubt with Moreno right now that Robertson isn't sharp yet. But Lovren needs replacing. Yesterday.

Still, good result and we go back to Anfield to live through another heart-stopping game of football.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #653: Aug 16, 2017 01:40:49 am
      People blaming Trent for their goal. Lovren played the man onside. Terrible defender. No bite. No tactical awareness.

Him and Moreno make it tough to watch LFC while defending.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #654: Aug 16, 2017 01:48:01 am
      People blaming Trent for their goal. Lovren played the man onside. Terrible defender. No bite. No tactical awareness.

Him and Moreno make it tough to watch LFC while defending.

And he's so keen to step out of the defensive line and track a man in to midfield and leave a gaping hole in the heart of our defence.

Matip continues to perform admirably but imagine if he had a partner who was capable of defending. He'd look even better.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #655: Aug 16, 2017 02:05:25 am
      Glad for the scoreline. We should be in good shape. No lead is safe (for either side) when this team is playing a match.

Hoping to see Andy Robertson start Saturday at left back.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #656: Aug 16, 2017 02:57:29 am
      Matip continues to perform admirably but imagine if he had a partner who was capable of defending. He'd look even better.
      Sakho. Our best defender that Klopp hates.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #657: Aug 16, 2017 03:02:30 am
      And he's so keen to step out of the defensive line and track a man in to midfield and leave a gaping hole in the heart of our defence.

Notice the difference in Lovern when he's got Moreno to babysit and ponder what daft thing he's going to do next
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,230 posts | 6355 
      Reply #658: Aug 16, 2017 03:24:14 am

Matip continues to perform admirably but imagine if he had a partner who was capable of defending.

Sakho
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #659: Aug 16, 2017 03:44:27 am
      Could we have below midfield for return leg?

Milner   Grujic
                  Hendo

Grujic is a red card walking..that foul with 2 minutes left in extra time is probably the reason we don't see him often.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,230 posts | 6355 
      Reply #660: Aug 16, 2017 04:23:57 am
      Grujic is a red card walking..that foul with 2 minutes left in extra time is probably the reason we don't see him often.

Nah. One foul means he's a red card walking? Don't believe he had a problem with it at Red Star did he? Kid needs playing time, he's going to be good.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #661: Aug 16, 2017 04:37:19 am
      Come on mate. Lighten up. It's a new season and two match threads in and you're already issuing the insults.

Any joy in your world??  ;D

Why would we judge a player on what didn't happen? Mignolet saved a penalty, but let's disregard that, or imagine if he didn't save it..... I mean... really?

The thing about the pen save that was most impressive to me was how Migs read the player.

It seems more and more that pk takers try to be clever and get the keeper to move.  Then they go center.

Migs gave a slight move to the left to sucker him in and then stayed put.  It was a very nice play by him.

If we had gone down 1-0 at that point it would have been very difficult to come back from.

TAA would have gotten my MOTM vote had it not been for his fault in the goal conceded.

Brilliant performance from him all around except for something you learn as a schoolboy.   

Play to the whistle.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #662: Aug 16, 2017 04:55:15 am
      Nah. One foul means he's a red card walking? Don't believe he had a problem with it at Red Star did he? Kid needs playing time, he's going to be good.

It's been reported on several occasions the Jürgen has issues with his pitch discipline in game and even in practice.

One example.

Jürgen Klopp has addressed Marko Grujic‘s knack for producing late challenges, insisting the Liverpool midfielder needed to avoid being “lazy.”

Grujic was criticised for a strong tackle that left Crystal Palace centre-back James Tomkins injured in May, and then picked up a suspension for two yellow cards at the summer’s European U21 Championship.

Lining up for the Reds this pre-season, the 21-year-old provoked ire from Palace manager Frank de Boer for a lunge at Wilfried Zaha, with the Dutchman saying it was “not appropriate.”

Addressing that challenge and Grujic’s questionable approach off the ball, Klopp agreed that this was a flaw in his game.

“I didn’t see it properly at the time but I heard it could have been a red card,” he told the Liverpool Echo.

“That’s not good. For Marko, it’s something that he has to change.

“He’s a fantastic player, a really skilled boy. Tall, quick, talented footballing wise, all good.

“But in these defensive situations, you always need to be early enough there so you are close enough to make a challenge and not a foul.”

“It’s about coming too late, switching off the machine, trying to sort a situation in which you were late in mind. I hate that.

“When that happens you need to run, not foul. Make more steps, go, go, go. For me it’s always a bit lazy.”

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/07/Jürgen-klopp-urges-marko-grujic-curb-lazy-defensive-approach/
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #663: Aug 16, 2017 05:02:34 am
      Notice the difference in Lovern when he's got Moreno to babysit and ponder what daft thing he's going to do next

They are both inept, mate. And it worries me we've gone back to a combination that failed two seasons ago.

Watch the Dortmund second leg again. He was woeful and provides no upgrade large enough to warrant being reinstated to the team.

I think our attack will save our arses this season. But another CB would be ideal.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #664: Aug 16, 2017 06:58:29 am
      The Reds take on Hoffenheim tonight in the first leg of their Champions League play-off, with a spot in the group stages at stake in this tie.

Line-up:

Travelling Kop:

The ground:

Reds training:

Jürgen Klopp has elected to start with the same side that began Saturday’s draw at Watford here at the Rhein-Neckar-Arena...

Liverpool: Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Karius, Klavan, Gomez, Milner, Grujic, Solanke, Origi.

Hoffenheim: Baumann, Kaderabek, Bicaknic, Rupp, Demirbay, Wagner, Zuber, Hübner, Vogt, Kramaric, Gnabry

Subs: Kobel, Nordtveit, Tolian, Amiri, Uth, Szalai, Geiger

Well done, nice one.

Thank God, I have watched the first 40 mins and the last 30 mins. We played good but should never have went asleep for their goal.

Tret=nt played brilliantly but needs to play by the whistle. Mignolet saved three good chances. Salah is very wasteful, Klopp needs to train him to be cynical.

Overall, good result with 2 away goals.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #665: Aug 16, 2017 07:39:36 am
      Wow, our defence really are a shambles... Thank goodness we can still score goals, but how nervous does this backline look.
      The amount of space afforded to their midfielders was also of great concern. Its also been very clear that while Moreno plays, he will be targeted, i would guess nearly 80% of their attacking play was down our left side coz of his vulnerabilities.

JK needs to sort this defence out, they are simply not good enough as a unit.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #666: Aug 16, 2017 07:42:19 am
      Sakho. Our best defender that Klopp hates.

Disagree. Matip is our best cb

Quick Reply