Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Big money - smaller clubs don't need to sell - good/bad?

Read 2004 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Big money - smaller clubs don't need to sell - good/bad?
      Aug 18, 2017 11:48:10 am
      As big money has come into English football over the past 20 years we've all noticed how the price tag on English players has been increasingly over-inflated - leading to most clubs looking overseas for players.

But now, with an even bigger cash injection into the Premier League we have now reached the point where 'smaller' clubs simply do not need to sell. 

Look at van Dijk - £50M is being waved away with ease by Southampton.

This morning West Brom have knocked back bids from Man City for Jonny Evans saying 'they don't need to sell' although admitting every player has a price.

You then have the ludicrous situation of Everton spending huge sums of money on players yet there isn't enough TV demand for their European game to be televised (in a world where almost EVERYTHING is televised).

My point is this really - how long are the really big Premier League clubs, the ones with global pull, going to continue to put up with this 'equal' Premier League payment structure?

I'd imagine the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc at some point are going to start looking at clubs like Southampton, who refuse to sell them players, and start to wonder if those clubs are not drowning in money on the back of their own global brand.

If the next TV deal comes in lower then I think that could be the point that we see the sh*t start to hit the fan, because Liverpool and Man Utd and the others will think that it should be the Brighton's and Huddersfield's who should take the hit not them.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Big money - smaller clubs don't need to sell - good/bad?
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2017 11:54:58 am
      Bad because the TV money bubble will eventually burst, clubs who haven't got sugar daddy owners or a large capacity stadium and commercial partners etc with a huge fanbase will eventually suffer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2017 01:43:20 pm
      Bad because the TV money bubble will eventually burst, clubs who haven't got sugar daddy owners or a large capacity stadium and commercial partners etc with a huge fanbase will eventually suffer.

I don't think the TV money bubble will burst at all. In fact here in the states it's just getting started. The amount of money NBC Sports paid to be able to televise Premier League games is absolutely ludicrous...and judging by the viewership  ratings, the next deal (a few years down the road) will likely top the current one.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2017 01:46:41 pm
      I don't think the TV money bubble will burst at all. In fact here in the states it's just getting started. The amount of money NBC Sports paid to be able to televise Premier League games is absolutely ludicrous...and judging by the viewership  ratings, the next deal (a few years down the road) will likely top the current one.

It will when viewers get priced out, TV deals increase subscription prices, wages often don't increase along side them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2017 05:11:52 pm

Might want to have a look at what happened to Serie A in the 90s when the league effectively went bust, the way the Premier League is going, I can see similar happening.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5: Aug 19, 2017 07:02:27 pm
      Does the big money deal include European games?
      The biggest problem is for teams getting promoted and instantly relegated again because of the talent they are up against.

Quick Reply