Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.9%)
      Joel Matip
      13 (11.5%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      55 (48.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      34 (30.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.8%)
      Dominic Solanke
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Aug 23, 2017 04:54:12 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24033 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Live: Liverpool vs Crystal Palace
      Reply #299: Aug 19, 2017 04:55:39 pm
      Phew! Relief

Started watching late,. Was the defence shaky? Or assured?

Assured by and large. Klavan got done by Loftus-Cheek Benteke should have scored other than that fine Matip was excellent full backs good
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #300: Aug 19, 2017 04:56:56 pm
      Played much better after Salah and Solanke came on.
      Mane MOTM by a mile, though special mention to Matip in the defense as well. Klavan and Robertson looked way more comfortable than Lovren and Moreno. Would like to see them start against Hoffenheim.
      Hendo did a good job harrassing players in the second half but other than that our midfield continued to show lots of issues.
      Happy with the 3 points though, let's get the momentum of the last 20 minutes into the next game!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #301: Aug 19, 2017 04:57:04 pm
      Salah is waiting for Couts to return no one wanted to play the 1-2 with him today.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,753 posts | 460 
      Reply #302: Aug 19, 2017 04:57:41 pm
      I nearly gave MoM to Lovren since he didn't create any panic in our defence but resisted. :)

Funny stuff

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #303: Aug 19, 2017 04:59:32 pm
      Forgettable 1st half. Better when we made the changes in 2nd half, Salah and Solanke coming on.
      So why not start them?  Studge was poor, as was Gini.
      Defense did well, though not under that much pressure. Still clean sheet is a clean sheet.
      Could've had more towards end, would have if subs had started match, risky, but paid off with a 1-0 win, much needed.
      And well done Mane for sticking it in the back of the net.
      Need to be much better though in the coming weeks/months...
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #304: Aug 19, 2017 04:59:50 pm
      I went for Robertson for MOTM.  He did a great job providing an outlet and put in some nice crosses.  I was very impressed by him.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #305: Aug 19, 2017 05:00:21 pm
      I only made it home for the last 15 minutes which was enough for me to give Robertson MotM.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #306: Aug 19, 2017 05:01:56 pm
      Forgettable 1st half. Better when we made the changes in 2nd half, Salah and Solanke coming on.
      So why not start them?  Studge was poor, as was Gini.
      Defense did well, though not under that much pressure. Still clean sheet is a clean sheet.
      Could've had more towards end, would have if subs had started match, risky, but paid off with a 1-0 win, much needed.
      And well done Mane for sticking it in the back of the net.
      Need to be much better though in the coming weeks/months...

Why not start them?  Well we played in mid week and have a huge game coming up this mid week.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #307: Aug 19, 2017 05:02:10 pm
      Wijaldum top notch again absolutely woeful once again yet continues to start  :mad:
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #308: Aug 19, 2017 05:02:21 pm
      I only made it home for the last 15 minutes which was enough for me to give Robertson MotM.

He was very good throughout
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #309: Aug 19, 2017 05:04:23 pm
      This is a game that the team has lost in previous seasons, so it is a positive that a win is the outcome.

You need some aspect of luck to go your way, and the team has not played well yet got a result against Watford, Hoffeheim and now Palace; all these are welcome results.

That said, midfield play is so poor; people complain about the backline, but a competent midfield would make the team so much better on both ends of the pitch. So far, teams have been gifting goals, and at some moment in time, those errors will be on the decline. Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum could not create and Firmino...........no words.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,992 posts | 517 
      Reply #310: Aug 19, 2017 05:04:56 pm
      Don't know how people are finding so many negatives in that performance. It was night and day compared with last week. Very bright and high tempo from the start, totally bossed it and could have had 3 or 4. Excellent stuff.

Particularly don't get the slagging of Hendo. He was everywhere today and his passing was great. On another day would give him MOTM, but going for Robertson just out of sheer relief at seeing that it looks like we've got a decent LB. Particularly good going forward, and excellent crossing. Great to see and could make a real difference for us.

Matip was in Hansen mode, looked quality. I think Klaven suits him more than Lovren as a partner. He got outmuscled once, Klaven, but he is more composed than Lovren and our back 4 looked a lot more assured today - actually weren't giving me the heebie-jeebies for a change. Gomez was solid at RB as well.

Very good all round performance from the team.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #311: Aug 19, 2017 05:06:04 pm
      3 points!!!
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #312: Aug 19, 2017 05:06:27 pm
      Very, very big 3 points there so early in the season. Thought our back four looked pretty good today to be honest. Other than the big Benteke chance, we've not given too much, if nothing, away today. Credits to both fullbacks. Gomez was very strong defensively and Robertson very good offensively after some early nerves. A very good performance from Matip too today, he looks a lot more comfortable with Klavan next to him who I thought was decent too.

Midfield was poor. I never ever ever ever want to see Milner playing in midfield again. He just doesn't have the ability and close control to play there. Ran around like a headless chicken who was more likely to fall over his own feet than to give a decent pass. Gave away a handful of completely useless fouls too. You'd expect a PL veteran like him to be smarter. Play him as a LB, RB or even on the RW, just not in midfield please.

Firmino, even though he wasn't too effective today, had a good game too. He's so important to this side and I can't say it enough, his workrate is unparalleled.

Hard to pick a MOTM for this one. Matip, Robertson, Gomez and Firmino all had good games today. I'll give it to Robertson as it was his debut and he recovered very well after that first half hour.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #313: Aug 19, 2017 05:06:40 pm
      Ya beauty I can watch MOTD tonight
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #314: Aug 19, 2017 05:07:13 pm
      Wijaldum top notch again absolutely woeful once again yet continues to start  :mad:

Took him ages to pull the trigger. He will only do so  when no single opposition in front of him. Average at best, another passenger in the team.   
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #315: Aug 19, 2017 05:08:29 pm
      We got the points but our midfield is worrying. Either we bring someone new or klopp somehow teach them how to play there.
      Gini just disappear from the game, is that his positioning or he don't want the ball? Hendo keep passing it sideways and what's with all the lofty balls? 
      Until we buy someone. It has be either can or gini, and my vote goes to can. Atleast he does something. 

Good debut at home for both robbo and solanke. Robbo wasn't very tidy in the first half, think it could be because it was his first game.
      Now either Moreno steps up or we have robbo as our first lb.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #316: Aug 19, 2017 05:10:23 pm
      We got the points but our midfield is worrying. Either we bring someone new or klopp somehow teach them how to play there.
      Gini just disappear from the game, is that his positioning or he don't want the ball? Hendo keep passing it sideways and what's with all the lofty balls? 
      Until we buy someone. It has be either can or gini, and my vote goes to can. Atleast he does something. 

I agree with you on Gini he offers next to nothing in games like this be better playing 2 strikers
      However can't ignore fact that Coutinho and Lallana are missing. If Klopp had his way Keita would be bossing it in there as well. Needs must at the moment
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,139 posts | 1084 
      Reply #317: Aug 19, 2017 05:12:02 pm
      Robertson should have been man of the match. Two excellent crosses were UNLUCKY to not get atleast a goal out of one of them. Pushed the ball forward well enough and made some nice tackles which has always been his weakness. My friend who was a Hull fan texted me after the second superb cross and said "told ya this lad is the Tits". If one of those crosses goes in Andy Rob is MOTM. Instead we have to settle with knowing there COULD BE some light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to abysmal play from our LBs the last few years. He wasn't great, he lost the ball in the air near the end of the game that could have bit us in the ass against better talent and he was a little to shy with passes when he needed to be loose and loose with shots and passes when he needed to shy. But overall the kid looked good
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #318: Aug 19, 2017 05:12:39 pm
      Did anyone else notice the crowd sort of collectively sighing whenever hendo passed it backwards or was it just me.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #319: Aug 19, 2017 05:13:49 pm
      Klavan is a big embarrassment got bullied while Gomez is never good enough for us, strolling and ball watching instead of marking Benteke. Luckily Benteke misfired.  Hendo and Gini as midfield, Klopp has too much faith in both. Both are never good enough for us. Someone said, Can at least tried to do something, can't argue with that. We won't be so lucky the next time.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #320: Aug 19, 2017 05:14:04 pm
      You know we f**king won right?

F***ing drama queen.

On a lighter note.

Six clean sheets in our last eight premier league games, f**king defence.

No Lovern so no panic so clean sheet today.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #321: Aug 19, 2017 05:17:06 pm
      Sturridge is an impact sub for me now.  He doesn't look anywhere near as useful for us when he starts at the same level of fitness as the 11 players on the other side.

Mane, as for most of last season, looks our key player.

Robertson did well I thought but would have been worried if he had a shocker against Palace - much bigger tests ahead for him.

Quick Reply