Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.9%)
      Joel Matip
      13 (11.5%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      55 (48.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      34 (30.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.8%)
      Dominic Solanke
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Aug 23, 2017 04:54:12 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23788 times
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Aug 19, 2017 05:18:19 pm
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065: xxxxx:action-smiley-065: xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

:aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:

:action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035: :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-005:
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #323: Aug 19, 2017 05:19:12 pm
      Klavan is a big embarrassment got bullied while Gomez is never good enough for us, strolling and ball watching instead of marking Benteke. Luckily Benteke misfired.  Hendo and Gini as midfield, Klopp has too much faith in both. Both are never good enough for us. Someone said, Can at least tried to do something, can't argue with that. We won't be so lucky the next time.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #324: Aug 19, 2017 05:19:33 pm
      What we learnt from today;
      1) Robertson is our best left back
      2) Sturridge's legs have gone, 2 weeks left in the window...
      3) Solanke's an option for teams that park the bus.
      4) Its all well having Salah and Mane on the wings, but we desperately need creativity in the middle.
      5) Matip can actually defend when he isnt next to a pillock

Roll on Hoffenheim!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #325: Aug 19, 2017 05:23:33 pm
      We won whilst not playing well, the sign of a good team. Btw we finally have a LB, hurrah!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #326: Aug 19, 2017 05:24:30 pm
      Firmino should be an attacking midfielder.

Solanke
              Salah                    Mane

Firmino
               ........                      ........

Softens blow of Lallana and Coutinho being out and as JD mentioned,  Sturridge can be an impact sub.
      « Last Edit: Aug 19, 2017 05:28:40 pm by Ribapuru »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #327: Aug 19, 2017 05:29:25 pm
      Mostly good. Could have scored 3 or 4. Managed to rest Salah, Trent, Emre for midweek match. New left back looked quite good I thought. Gomez did well also, although got caught in possession late, which led to a chance from them. Simon did alright too, even caught a couple of crosses.

Joel (I've got Benteke in my back pocket) Matip is my MotM.

I'm happy enough.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #328: Aug 19, 2017 05:29:33 pm
      Klavan is a big embarrassment got bullied while Gomez is never good enough for us, strolling and ball watching instead of marking Benteke. Luckily Benteke misfired.  Hendo and Gini as midfield, Klopp has too much faith in both. Both are never good enough for us. Someone said, Can at least tried to do something, can't argue with that. We won't be so lucky the next time.

How is Klavan a big embarrassment? He got turned once by Loftus-Cheek, other than that he had Benteke in his backpocket all game and won quite a few headers against him. Gomez ball watching and strolling? He played RB, there's no way it was him who was supposed to be marking Benteke there, it was Matip who lost Benteke.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #329: Aug 19, 2017 05:34:46 pm
      Mane is our most important player, no doubt about it. He is F***ing immense.

I get a hard on every time he gets on the ball
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #330: Aug 19, 2017 05:35:25 pm
      How is Klavan a big embarrassment? He got turned once by Loftus-Cheek, other than that he had Benteke in his backpocket all game and won quite a few headers against him. Gomez ball watching and strolling? He played RB, there's no way it was him who was supposed to be marking Benteke there, it was Matip who lost Benteke.

Think Milner could have closed the space between benteke and loftus-cheek.

He was just ball watching mid way inside the penalty area.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #331: Aug 19, 2017 05:35:45 pm
      Passing was awful today. Thought Fermino was off his  game today.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #332: Aug 19, 2017 05:37:46 pm
      Ratings:

Mignolet: Didn't have an awful lot to do but thought what he had to do he did well today. 7

Robertson: Started nervy but even then was the most dangerous crosser we had. Created a couple of top chances and then in the second half stepped it up a gear, thought he looked ready for much sterner tests than Palace in a defensive sense and going forward he's an obvious choice. Real candidate for MotM on his debut, well played. 8.5

Klavan: Good, but not great, was too easily beaten on the left hand side, the only real time Robertson had passed his man on (to Milner not Klavan). Silly decision to be bursting into the last 3rd when we're 1 up with a short time to play though, sort your head out there Ragnar. 6.5

Matip: As someone said, with Klavan next to him he looks even better than with Lovren. For me, while it will be understated what he did he was right up there with the best of our lads today. Pure class. 8.5

Gomez: Another who impressed me today, think he could go straight in at RB now if it wasn't for Trent being ahead of him, certainly he'd be pushing for Clyne's place. Not sure how long it'll be until he forces someone out of the first team, which is very encouraging indeed. 7.5

Henderson: Probably our best midfielder, that didn't take much winning. Slows the tempo down so much, doesn't have enough creativity, poor choices when he did try to be creative like the long ball to Mane, lofted balls with no purpose. A couple of decent challenges and passes but for a 90 minute display it wasn't enough. 5.5

Milner: Think, much like Sturridge, he looks better coming on late in a game because when everyone was at the same level he just looked so ordinary. Huffed and puffed but really wasn't effective at anything he was trying and is so god damn predictable. 5

Wijnaldum: Amazed he lasted as long in the game as he did, should have scored when he looked like an old woman in the box but I could forgive that if it wasn't for his god awful play and losing the ball almost every time he had it in the second half. One of his worst performances for us and in recent times there's a list of them to beat. To me he's a man very quickly losing his position as starter and if anyone comes in for the remainder of the window it's a place to easily secure. 3

Mane: He's class this lad, caused problems all the time, got the crucial goal and just leads the charge for us every single game. Teams can't deal with him and if I were Barca I'd be after this lad not Coutinho. He's going to rack up a lot of goals this year, get him tied down on as long a contract as we can, pure quality. 8.5 MotM

Firmino: Had to play many positions and while some will say he was off his game in the first half, which he was, he was still looking the most involved and most creative of our midfielders, still breaking up more of the play than any of our midfielders and transitioning defence into a attack more effectively than any of them. A few cracking shots and some lovely link up play in the second half and slotted into that 10 role with ease. Really think if we either bought a striker or Solanke progressed how it seems that Bobby could take that position if Coutinho left, not problem at all. 7.5

Sturridge: Ineffective, unproductive, slow and unfortunately looks like he's lost that zip he had in preseason. He's just back off a strain so hopefully it was just getting back up to speed because he looked far better in the friendlies. For now though his place is just not as a starter, with JD in that I'd prefer him as an impact sub. 6

Solanke: Did very well when he came on, loved his movement, loved that he won the ball for us in their box and immediately had an assist. Something about the lad that looks special, can see him progressing massively as the season goes on and Sturridge's place as the 2nd striker could soon come under serious threat, this lad is hungry for it and it shows. 7

Salah: Looked bright when he came on, certainly made a difference, there's a top player there without question. Needs to work a little on the offside trap but when he gets on his bike there's few who'll get anywhere near him. 6

Klopp: Brave team choice, could have easily gone with our best and then fluffed it against Hoffenheim, he's given the lads a chance to rest, he's got the result he came for and we march on. Impressed with that boss, especially the switch to the diamond in the second half, keep telling the brain to read this site. 8  :D

Well in lads!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #333: Aug 19, 2017 05:41:09 pm
      Effective,a little bit of pretty footy,should of won easier.It's good and the beer will taste better this afternoon.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #334: Aug 19, 2017 05:44:44 pm
      How is Klavan a big embarrassment? He got turned once by Loftus-Cheek, other than that he had Benteke in his backpocket all game and won quite a few headers against him

👍 Thought he did well too.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #335: Aug 19, 2017 05:48:44 pm
      👍 Thought he did well too.
      I hope most that back 4 will be okay to play against Hoffelheim. I'm not sold on Gomez ahead of TAA though. I would imagine TAA to be back on Wednesday.
      mark_burm
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #336: Aug 19, 2017 05:58:50 pm
      Passing was awful today. Thought Fermino was off his  game today.

Against a deep low block he was pretty much a waste out on the wing.. still think without Coutinho in the mix vs a weak team he should be the tip of the midfield
      mark_burm
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #337: Aug 19, 2017 06:02:30 pm
      I hope most that back 4 will be okay to play against Hoffelheim. I'm not sold on Gomez ahead of TAA though. I would imagine TAA to be back on Wednesday.

He will. Was clearly a rest day. Our back 4 did well today but let's not overreact to the game. We had over 70% possession against a team that lost to Huddersfield last week. Happy for the win, but they were rarely tested and were very fortunate to not be down 0-1. 3 points all that matters  tho. Let's keep it rolling

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #338: Aug 19, 2017 06:16:22 pm
      If I was making the call Trent would be the only defensive change on Wednesday.

Big imbalance in mid without Coutinho or Lallana. Only so many water carriers should be in there. Gini or Hendo should be on the bench.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #339: Aug 19, 2017 06:17:35 pm

Mane: He's class this lad, caused problems all the time, got the crucial goal and just leads the charge for us every single game. Teams can't deal with him and if I were Barca I'd be after this lad not Coutinho. He's going to rack up a lot of goals this year, get him tied down on as long a contract as we can, pure quality. 8.5 MotM

Come on now, don't give the cu*ts any idea mate  :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #340: Aug 19, 2017 06:21:59 pm
      Sturridge is an impact sub for me now.  He doesn't look anywhere near as useful for us when he starts at the same level of fitness as the 11 players on the other side.

Mane, as for most of last season, looks our key player.

Robertson did well I thought but would have been worried if he had a shocker against Palace - much bigger tests ahead for him.

Sturridge looks to have bulked up a bit, which might also explain his speed going down a bit, but yeah, impact sub atm for me as well.
      I'd be tempted to start Solanke, if only because he likes getting stuck into the opposition and roughing them up a bit, then Sturridge when the game is stretched (assuming the same match squad).
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #341: Aug 19, 2017 06:28:00 pm

You must be loads of fun to be around. Klavan played alright and Gomez played really well outside of one play. Clean sheet and 3 points against a team that has plagued us for years while resting Can, TAA, and Salah in a short week is a good day for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #342: Aug 19, 2017 06:45:16 pm
      Huge let off with the Benteke miss. Think had he scored then it would have hit the team hard and we'd have gone on for a draw if we were lucky. But, fortune favoured us, we took one of our chances and got the win.

The midfield is still a huge cause for concern though.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #343: Aug 19, 2017 06:46:46 pm
      Sky sports headlines is mane steals win, cu*ts
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #344: Aug 19, 2017 09:46:41 pm
      Sky sports headlines is mane steals win, cu*ts

Yeah, it's weird the reaction in general to this performance. They literally had 1 decent chance in the match. We had about 10. We were all over them.

Quick Reply