Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST

Read 9291 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST
      Aug 21, 2017 02:43:21 pm
      Liverpool (2) v (1) Hoffenheim

A one goal lead for the reds in the 2nd leg of the Champions League playoff. 

The away goals rule is applied at full time and at the end of extra time.  So the only way this game goes to extra time or penalties is if the game ends 2-1 to the German side. (A 1-0 win for Hoffenheim would see Liverpool go through).

Several LFC players were rested/slightly rested/dropped at the weekend's win over Palace.

Alexander-Arnold/Moreno/Salah/Lovren/Emre Can

Although Klavan and Matip helped the reds to the first clean sheet of the season the boss may well bring Lovren back into the side.

Can't see too much of a difference from the line up from last week.

Hoffenheim made amends for their defeat against Liverpool and won their first game of the Bundesliga, at home, 1-0 v Werder Bremen.

Kramaric scored in the 84th minute for them after coming on mid-way through the second half.

Hoffenheim had made 6 changes to their weekend starting line up, similar to Liverpool - again with possibly a bigger eye on this game.

It will be Hoffenheim's first European away game in the club's history, and obviously also their first trip to Anfield.

If the reds get through the group stage draw is on Thursday at 5pm UK time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2017 03:37:42 pm
      Have to admit I'm a bit nervous about this one. My head says that we should easily control this game at home and have them put away by halftime.

My heart is more fickle and worries that if we really are waiting to win this to complete our (much needed) transfer business that we'll find a way to screw this up.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2017 03:41:42 pm
      Come out fast and positive.

That's all I ask
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2017 04:51:24 pm
      We really really ought to win this quite comfortably, they are a decent side but they play open football and need to score at least 2 goals and at Anfield that will play right into our hands.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2017 04:53:44 pm
      Solanke, Mane and Salah to start in attack. Firmino with an attacking midfield role. Not really fussed about the rest.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2017 05:11:11 pm
      Can see it getting nervous if we concede the first goal so a nice, fast start would be appreciated.

TAA, Salah and Can to come in for me. Gomez, Milner and Gini to miss out. Get Firmino back central behind Sturridge.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2017 05:15:33 pm
      Champions League night at Anfield. Fook yea!

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2017 05:38:33 pm
      Can see it getting nervous if we concede the first goal so a nice, fast start would be appreciated.

TAA, Salah and Can to come in for me. Gomez, Milner and Gini to miss out. Get Firmino back central behind Sturridge.
      I think I agree with JD that Sturridge is better as an impact sub. I think Solanke is looking good to start now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2017 05:44:50 pm
      Solanke, Mane and Salah to start in attack. Firmino with an attacking midfield role. Not really fussed about the rest.

Wouldn't mind seeing this tbh.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2017 06:18:04 pm
      Hope we don't send Ryan Kent on loan he look good in preseason if mane or salah out injury he do job other F**k up by club send good young player out loan
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2017 06:25:57 pm
      Good side are Hoff, well organised and can very much play the beautiful game, for me though they have blown their chances of progressing, had we been at home first I would have happily taken a two goal advantage to the 2nd leg and I feel Hoffenhiem would be the same,

They are up against it let's be honest it was already a mountain to climb now it's Everest...

We score first their gone no question, but you can never be complacent so although it won't be a walk over I think we will be comfortable .....

What I'd go with.....

Migs, TAA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson,
      Henderson, Grujic, Can, Salah, Mane, Bobby.

What is more likely...

Migs, TAA, Matip, Lovren, Robertson,
      Henderson, Wijnaldom, Emre Can,
      Salah, Mane, Firmino

Bench;   Karius, Gomez, Klav/Lov Milner/Grujic  Sturridge, Solanke

Clean sheet for me, with the mighty Redmen bagging a 3-0 comfortable victory.

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2017 06:38:23 pm
      Champions League night at Anfield. Fook yea!

Hande hoch, for you fritz the tie is hopefully over
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,795 posts | 464 
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2017 08:21:48 pm
      No Moreno please, that's all I ask. Looking  forward to Wednesday.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2017 08:48:36 pm
      Good side are Hoff, well organised and can very much play the beautiful game, for me though they have blown their chances of progressing, had we been at home first I would have happily taken a two goal advantage to the 2nd leg and I feel Hoffenhiem would be the same,

They are up against it let's be honest it was already a mountain to climb now it's Everest...

We score first their gone no question, but you can never be complacent so although it won't be a walk over I think we will be comfortable .....

What I'd go with.....

Migs, TAA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson,
      Henderson, Grujic, Can, Salah, Mane, Bobby.

What is more likely...

Migs, TAA, Matip, Lovren, Robertson,
      Henderson, Wijnaldom, Emre Can,
      Salah, Mane, Firmino

Bench;   Karius, Gomez, Klav/Lov Milner/Grujic  Sturridge, Solanke

Clean sheet for me, with the mighty Redmen bagging a 3-0 comfortable victory.

YNWA

Love your confidence mate, I think they're still in the tie a little more than that. That's not to say I think we'll struggle that much but our defence always gives the opposition that opportunity.

2 away goals is a huge bonus, they clearly have to score at least 2 and whatever they score I think we can match and that will be enough. I think in typical LFC fashion we'll go through with it being 1-1 or something similar (score draw). As long as we're through at the end of the night I don't really care.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 763 
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2017 09:08:33 pm
      Another tie, in which we should comfortably win. But somehow make it difficult for ourselves, nothing changes !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2017 09:22:17 pm
      1-0 to Hoffenheim early in the second half with us filling our pants for the final 25 minutes as they have loads of corners sounds 'Liverpool' enough for the scenario on Wednesday.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2017 09:24:43 pm
      Hope we don't send Ryan Kent on loan he look good in preseason if mane or salah out injury he do job other f**k up by club send good young player out loan

Even though he is very rusty I wouldn't be sending him out on loan either.  We've got no idea how the Coutinho thing is going to pan out - Sturridge will be about at some point in the next five games and then with internationals early in September then we all know we won't get a full contingent back from duty.

Be madness to send him out on loan with the League Cup etc as well on the horizon.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2017 09:32:03 pm
      Even though he is very rusty I wouldn't be sending him out on loan either.  We've got no idea how the Coutinho thing is going to pan out - Sturridge will be about at some point in the next five games and then with internationals early in September then we all know we won't get a full contingent back from duty.

Be madness to send him out on loan with the League Cup etc as well on the horizon.

I agree JD. Kent was excellent in preseason and being loaned out by Klopp generally isn't a good sign for the future. I thought he showed bags of potential and to deputise for Mane/Salah would be perfect for his development and could be a crucial to rest them.

I get the feeling that Klopp sees someone else being given minutes out wide if we need to rest the speedsters, not sure who that is though if Kent goes out.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,235 posts | 2813 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2017 09:43:30 pm
      TAA for Joe and Salah for Danny. And off we go
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2017 10:09:08 pm
      NB: Team no longer available
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,235 posts | 2813 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2017 10:22:19 pm

Why drop Robertson?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2017 10:32:51 pm
      Love your confidence mate, I think they're still in the tie a little more than that. That's not to say I think we'll struggle that much but our defence always gives the opposition that opportunity.

2 away goals is a huge bonus, they clearly have to score at least 2 and whatever they score I think we can match and that will be enough. I think in typical LFC fashion we'll go through with it being 1-1 or something similar (score draw). As long as we're through at the end of the night I don't really care.

understand mate, it's definitely not over by any means, however just for the sake of a extra wee caveat, this will be Hoff's very first trip away in Europe, and what a place to make your European debut, a Wednesday night at Anfield in a CL qualifier, some say a European night at Anfield is the best laxative known to man, well I don't know about that, all I know is Hoffenheim players will have never experienced anything like it before so they are in for a rude experience, a experience that could affect their mental state,

There's rumours that sales in Tena men went through the roof at Boots in Germany !!

I am confident mate, can't see anything other than victory for the Redmen.

YNWA
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2017 10:46:43 pm

Origi needs to do a lot more to deserve a starting spot. I personally would go with Sturridge again, he needs games.

Robertson has to keep his place.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #23: Aug 21, 2017 11:51:42 pm
      We should win this game easily, because Hoff needs to attack heavily and that opens up space - exactly for what we are built. I am more worried about Arsenal than Hoff...best recipe to get in trouble though. :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Aug 22, 2017 05:51:21 am
      Mignolet

TAA
      Matip
      Gomez
      Robertson

Henderson
      Can
      Milner

Mane
      Salah
      Firmino

That's what I'd go with.

They'll play without pressure and look to take it to us. Gotta be up for it.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      Reply #25: Aug 22, 2017 06:48:17 am

Origi needs to do a lot more to deserve a starting spot. I personally would go with Sturridge again, he needs games.

Robertson has to keep his place.

Klopp will rotate and Robertson will play at Arsenal but not tomorrow. Origi will be given his last chance because Solanke in front of him in the order.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #26: Aug 22, 2017 09:55:53 am

Not totally convinced on that myself - yeah he had a good game v Palace but I can't see him being launched into three big games in a week. 

I think the 5 players who were left out at the weekend were left out for a reason and that's to come back in tomorrow night.

The eleven who played last week were by no means scintillating (we weren't on Saturday either) but they got a good win away and will likely be trusted to complete their job at home.

I am more worried about Arsenal than Hoff...

Yeah - them losing at the weekend is going to fire them up rather than send them into a downward spiral IMO.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27: Aug 22, 2017 10:14:40 am
      Klopp will rotate and Robertson will play at Arsenal but not tomorrow. Origi will be given his last chance because Solanke in front of him in the order.

Given the attacking options, Origi shouldn't even make the bench.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #28: Aug 22, 2017 10:48:29 am

That's what I would go with as well.

Hendo / Can as 2 holding players if needed.

Robertson at left back, he played very well at the weekend and deserves to keep his place.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      Reply #29: Aug 22, 2017 11:26:45 am

He's not that bad, he's just without confidence. He needs to find that goal very soon or it will turn ugly for him.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #30: Aug 22, 2017 01:20:58 pm
      Good thing is at least they won't sit behind the ball and we have no need to go all guns blazing, saying that it would be nice to get an early goal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Aug 22, 2017 03:40:35 pm
      Robertson as LB and Firminio as the "striker" please, I worry a bit about the midfield creativity but it might not be so important in this game, I think we'll have more than enough for Hoffenheim anyway
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #32: Aug 22, 2017 04:11:54 pm
      He's not that bad, he's just without confidence. He needs to find that goal very soon or it will turn ugly for him.
      Origi is a one goal in 4 games kinda guy. 1 in 3 is below par, but not awful. 1 in 2 is good. He's half of good.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #33: Aug 22, 2017 04:13:14 pm
      I predict it will be 2-1 again, 4-2 on agg.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Aug 22, 2017 04:52:06 pm
      We should fly out the traps with the European atmosphere driving us forward, get a goal or two then sit back and hit them on the break.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #35: Aug 22, 2017 05:03:59 pm
      I think it'll go 3-1.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 763 
      Reply #36: Aug 22, 2017 05:44:04 pm
      Another narrow win for the Reds, with the Kop behind them !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Aug 22, 2017 06:30:12 pm
      Our midfield has struggled this season but let's remember,it's not as if they were dreadful last season. They are capable of playing good football. Missing Lallana and/or Phil is a blow, but this group can do a job for us tomorrow. What I really want to see is a better job done of taking the chances that are created. We definitely should be able to score multiple goals.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #38: Aug 22, 2017 06:44:21 pm
      Origi is a one goal in 4 games kinda guy. 1 in 3 is below par, but not awful. 1 in 2 is good. He's half of good.

i.e he's "od."
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: Aug 22, 2017 10:06:41 pm

Team is good but ...

Solanke full 90 mins not Origi.

Robertson is au naturelle at left back   certainly not Moreno .

Gone for 2-0 .
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #40: Aug 22, 2017 10:39:52 pm
      Origi over Solanke? You been for a smoke at the Emirates?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #41: Aug 22, 2017 11:08:15 pm

Origi shouldn't be making the u23s starting 11 at this rate
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #42: Aug 23, 2017 01:21:56 am
      Word is Can has the same illness as Phil but apparently he will be ready to play, unlike Phil.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Aug 23, 2017 01:28:59 am
      Word is Can has the same illness as Phil but apparently he will be ready to play, unlike Phil.

LeavingTheClubitis?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Aug 23, 2017 01:40:36 am
      Come on lads, let's put this to bed early in the first half and then come out and finish the job off comfortably in the 2nd.

Stress free 90 minutes please.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #45: Aug 23, 2017 02:02:29 am

Haha that made me laugh that :D
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #46: Aug 23, 2017 02:10:51 am
      Attack early and cripple them with a goal and than counter from then on. Easier said than done, but they are in a position that should be suitable for us to open up early on. I REALLY like our chances tomorrow. I'm taking off and hope to be 3 beers in by kickoff (3 pm my time)

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #47: Aug 23, 2017 02:15:51 am

Never forget the love glove when banging a mistress club. Rookie mistake.
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017 02:20:07 am by bigvYNWA »
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #48: Aug 23, 2017 07:02:44 am

Because he Can Can Can, whilst its Coutih - no

I'll get my coat
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      Reply #49: Aug 23, 2017 10:38:26 am

Team is good but ...

Solanke full 90 mins not Origi.

Robertson is au naturelle at left back   certainly not Moreno .

Gone for 2-0 .

Origi over Solanke? You been for a smoke at the Emirates?

I may have a soft spot for Origi, I think he will start tonight and hopefully score couple of goals to get his confidence back. He's decent but I agree he is out of form.

:couch:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #50: Aug 23, 2017 10:44:52 am
      Don't think he'll play but would have thought tonight would have suited Origi.

They'll have to go for it and Origi seems to shine when he gets threaded the ball on those quick counters.  Wouldn't be the world's biggest gamble if he were involved.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #51: Aug 23, 2017 10:56:20 am

They'll have to go for it and Origi seems to shine when he gets threaded the ball on those quick counters.  Wouldn't be the world's biggest gamble if he were involved.

Agree they play with 3 Centre backs not the quickest and a fairly high line, definitely the sort of game which would suit Divock but doubt he will start.

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      Reply #52: Aug 23, 2017 11:02:38 am

There is one, who is on the same page as me. They need to play football and Origi loves those pockets of space where he can stretch his legs through those runs.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #53: Aug 23, 2017 11:50:58 am
      We need height inside Hoff's box and Solanke has to start to bully defenders in the air. Solanke looks to be capable of bulldozing pass defenders and this is the kind of players we needed for a long time.
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017 11:58:31 am by redkop63 »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #54: Aug 23, 2017 11:56:05 am
      We need height inside Hoff's box and Solanke has to start to bully defenders in the air.

You are expecting a 19 year old who has not started a PL game never mind CL to come in and bully grown up experienced Centre Backs?

Don't see it see it myself.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #55: Aug 23, 2017 12:08:21 pm
      You are expecting a 19 year old who has not started a PL game never mind CL to come in and bully grown up experienced Centre Backs?

Don't see it see it myself.

Age doesn't matter, if you're good you're good, the opposite is true. There's no rule in the game to say that a 19 year old player cannot outrun, out-tackled and winning headers against more experience players. Did you watch him closely in those games? Why does he needs to feel inferior? He has the height and looks to be a confident lad to take on defenders. The opposite is also true to say that these young players are easier to condition them to be fighters compared to many of the deadwoods in the squad now. Common, let's have some confidence in ourselves with these young players and drop those defeatists attitude.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #56: Aug 23, 2017 12:14:44 pm
      Age doesn't matter, if you're good you're good, the opposite is true. There's no rule in the game to say that a 19 year old player cannot outrun, out-tackled and winning headers against more experience players. Did you watch him closely in those games? Why does he needs to feel inferior? He has the height and looks to be a confident lad to take on defenders. The opposite is also true to say that these young players are easier to condition them to be fighters compared to many of the deadwoods in the squad now. Common, let's have some confidence in ourselves with these young players and drop those defeatists attitude.

Of course age matters he has virtually no experience playing in these sort of big games.

He will get his chances slowly but asking him to lead the line in such a big game when we have Firmino and Sturridge it's not going to happen and neither should such pressure be placed on his young shoulders.

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      Reply #57: Aug 23, 2017 12:39:39 pm
      Of course age matters he has virtually no experience playing in these sort of big games.

He will get his chances slowly but asking him to lead the line in such a big game when we have Firmino and Sturridge it's not going to happen and neither should such pressure be placed on his young shoulders.

I agree. If we where lead 3-0, I may include Solanke in starting XI but not for this important game, still very open. Either Origi or Sturridge will lead the line.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Aug 23, 2017 01:10:15 pm

Do the Hoffenheim players have much experience in these sort of games?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #59: Aug 23, 2017 01:33:39 pm

To play Devil's advocate...he played in some pretty big games (for his age group) this past summer and did pretty well. Yea it's not the same as a CL qualifier, I get that...but I wouldn't feel all that uncomfortable with him starting or playing a part (although I don't think he will).
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017 02:28:43 pm by FL Red »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #60: Aug 23, 2017 01:59:52 pm
      Certainly not over this. They did create some decent chances last game, and they know they have to pile on the pressure tonight. They did look dangerous with some of the one touch reverse passing and long diagonal balls so, although I've gone for the win in the predictions, I'm still a bit concerned in case our defensive frailties resurface tonight.
      Certainly all to play for. I expect they will come with a bit of confidence. As their manager said, we were a bit luckier than them first leg, and I sort of agree, we hardly ran away with it did we.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #61: Aug 23, 2017 02:06:12 pm
      Will be interesting who Klopp picks in midfield tonight as that is where the game will be hotly contested.

Hendo is a given which leaves Milner Gini and Can.
      Not the most inspiring from an attacking perspective. Gini ability wise has the most in his locker to play the attacking role, there again he has been completely off the mark so far but does tend to perform in the big games.
      Can will obviously give his all and provide some steel to shield the back 4 and is not as bad as people think going forward but my preference would be for Hendo and Can to swap roles as this plays to they're strengths.
      Not really sure what Milner offers in midfield but you can't doubt his heart and passion.

Personally I would stick with Hendo, Can and Gini.

Seems like Lovren, TAA and Moreno were rested for this game so I expect them to come in for this one.
      And here is the dilemma with Lovren and Moreno combination they will need more help from Hendo and co than they received in the first game.

Up front is easy just save Sturridge for the last 20mins against tiring legs.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #62: Aug 23, 2017 02:16:48 pm
      To play Devil's advocate...he played in some pretty big games (for his age group) this past summer and did pretty well. Yea it's not the same as a CL qualifier, I get that...but I wouldn't feel all that comfortable with him starting or playing a part (although I don't think he will).

If your good enough your old enough.

Just ask Michael Owen.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #63: Aug 23, 2017 02:23:50 pm
      I'm not sure that Hoffenheim need to bomb at us from the off exactly.  They only need to win 2-1 to draw level, so even if we get an early goal, there's no reason for them to go gung ho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #64: Aug 23, 2017 02:29:25 pm
      I'm not sure that Hoffenheim need to bomb at us from the off exactly.  They only need to win 2-1 to draw level, so even if we get an early goal, there's no reason for them to go gung ho.

Scoring 2 at Anfield, while holding us to even 1 goal is no easy task for a top team, much less Hoffenheim.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #65: Aug 23, 2017 02:35:55 pm
      Scoring 2 at Anfield, while holding us to even 1 goal is no easy task for a top team, much less Hoffenheim.

They are a decent team no doubt but if they're away form was anything like at home they would have won the bundesliga.

We have already beaten them at theirs so no reason to not expect a win esp with the fact that we can even allow them one F**k up from our defence  ;D

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #66: Aug 23, 2017 02:52:12 pm
      Hendo is a given which leaves Milner Gini and Can.

Didn't somebody say Emre Can was ill?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #67: Aug 23, 2017 02:58:49 pm

Well they'll have to attack at some point won't they?? Would be fantastic if they start slow but I expect they will be at our throats form the first second looking for an early goal, as will we.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Aug 23, 2017 02:59:12 pm

For once I agree with you.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #69: Aug 23, 2017 03:04:08 pm

Don't tell TAA this. He ain't hearing it :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #70: Aug 23, 2017 03:15:51 pm

Actually I'm pretty sure that's at least twice, possibly even three times. Oh yes...I am keeping track.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #71: Aug 23, 2017 03:20:43 pm

Now will come all the iffs and buts !😱
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #72: Aug 23, 2017 03:28:06 pm
      Actually I'm pretty sure that's at least twice, possibly even three times. Oh yes...I am keeping track.

Literally sounds like something my wife would say :D

For the record, agree with your original point. Also what I say to whatever my wife says :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #73: Aug 23, 2017 03:42:37 pm
      Didn't somebody say Emre Can was ill?

Klopp said Can should be ok apparently both him and Coutinho suffered from the same bug.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #74: Aug 23, 2017 03:47:09 pm
      Klopp said Can should be ok apparently both him and Coutinho suffered from the same bug.

Bullshititis?

I reckon we will win 3 - 1 tonight and in a completely unrelated topic...

My postcode has been drawn in the Postcode Lottery. We are guaranteed a share of 3 motion haha
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #75: Aug 23, 2017 04:30:50 pm

"Obsession by FL Red"
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 763 
      Reply #76: Aug 23, 2017 04:52:18 pm
      Mane seems to have the goal scoring touch lately, although hope Sturridge plays some part of the game.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #77: Aug 23, 2017 05:14:52 pm
      Ahh must have been that Juve bid.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #78: Aug 23, 2017 05:16:18 pm

I like this thinking and you're right mate.

F***ing Swansea did it though ha
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #79: Aug 23, 2017 05:45:58 pm
      Hope we don't send Ryan Kent on loan he look good in preseason if mane or salah out injury he do job other f**k up by club send good young player out loan
      I agree, we need him in league cup like below.

Origi

Kent            Woodburn        Markovic

Ejaria      Brannagan

Moreno     Gomez       Lovren    Cyne

Ward

Kent would never have affected tonight's game though.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #80: Aug 23, 2017 06:11:12 pm
      Set out to score two goals - which should get us through.

Scoring four goals would be better, however - and the main thing holding us back from that so far has been finishing, not creating.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #81: Aug 23, 2017 06:13:59 pm
      I'm going to miss this game, won't get back to the house till it's over. I hate having to watch it after it's already finished, not to mention tough not checking my phone and accidentally seeing the score.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #82: Aug 23, 2017 06:21:02 pm
      Nerves are setting in for this one now. Don't get the calls for Origi to play, think he's looked as bad so far as he finished and wouldn't have him even on the bench if I'm honest. Solanke looks way ahead of him and of course Studge to come on late if needed should definitely keep his place on the bench.

The only one I'm really unsure of would be LB and LCB, I thought Klavan did plenty to stake a claim to the place, but still feel Lovren will get the nod and the post by Danzel really has me wondering if Moreno may actually get the go ahead too, his stats in that post were far better than I've given him credit for and if you need someone for the break away this little whippet is absolutely perfect.

Midfield, I would again favour Grujic but his rash challenges and hot combative nature may not be the best to give him his first start here,  he could well get us down to 10 men with the adrenaline running so Gini will take the call, but boy does he have to step up his game, not just a level but quite a few. We're at home, I expect to see marked improvement in the engine room tonight.
      Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #83: Aug 23, 2017 06:24:39 pm
      will no doubt be another nervy night, but as long as we are in the CL stages tomorrow morning that is all that counts.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #84: Aug 23, 2017 06:31:01 pm
      https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/900409636238524418

Looks like Lovren and Moreno it is and to be honest, I understand that.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #85: Aug 23, 2017 06:31:15 pm
      Klavan and Robertson should really keep their place in the team tonight. I suspect t they won't though which is a shame. Not sure which way Klopp will go with midfield, if Can is struggling or not 100% he shouldn't start the game. Personally I'd play Firmino in the 8 shirt and give young Solanki a start up top.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #86: Aug 23, 2017 06:32:14 pm
      Agreed, the point I was making is that the assumption is they'll come out all guns blazing from the word go, but they don't need to.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #87: Aug 23, 2017 06:32:35 pm
       Melissa Reddy‏Verified account @MelissaReddy_ 3m3 minutes ago
      #LFC starting XI v #TSG: Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Firmino

Melissa Reddy‏Verified account @MelissaReddy_ 2m2 minutes ago
      #LFC subs v #TSG: Karius, Klavan, Gomez, Milner, Robertson, Solanke, Sturridge

Melissa Reddy‏Verified account @MelissaReddy_ 1m1 minute ago
      #LFC XI unchanged from the first leg against #TSG. Andy Robertson and Daniel Sturridge replace Marko Grujic and Divock Origi on the bench.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #88: Aug 23, 2017 06:32:57 pm
      Moreno and lovren start
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #89: Aug 23, 2017 06:34:23 pm
      Not a lot of game changers on the bench. Must be nice to be a Bayern or a Madrid and have multiple excellent options off the bench......
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #90: Aug 23, 2017 06:34:43 pm

They got the job done on the road last week Luke...no reason to punish them  on the 2nd leg at home. It's the exact same squad, which by all rights it should be.. they earned the right to play.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #91: Aug 23, 2017 06:36:04 pm
      Come on boys.

Heart will be in my throat when the ball goes near Moreno in our end. Maybe tonight will be like that one preseason game where he, you know, wasn't awful.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #92: Aug 23, 2017 06:36:08 pm
      Saving Robertson for the Gone-rs?
      Kopite78
      Reply #93: Aug 23, 2017 06:41:25 pm
      Not a lot of game changers on the bench. Must be nice to be a Bayern or a Madrid and have multiple excellent options off the bench......

What would be worse is apparently having 200m to burn but still having no great options..

Phew

Quick Reply