Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

League Cup Draw

Read 2250 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      League Cup Draw
      Aug 24, 2017 04:17:09 am
      Our first round draw for 2017/18 held in Beijing of all places.  :f_doh:

Probably the first time we've been in 2 draws in the same day. Unlike the other draw, it's a straight forward home and away basis.

v Leicester (a)

Leicester away in the League Cup and the League in the same week.
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 05:17:38 am by lfc across the water »
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: League Cup Draw
      Reply #1: Aug 24, 2017 06:21:05 am
      Our first round draw for 2017/18 held in Beijing of all places.  :f_doh:

Probably the first time we've been in 2 draws in the same day. Unlike the other draw, it's a straight forward home and away basis.

v Leicester (a)

Leicester away in the League Cup and the League in the same week.

So we'll play them twice away in the same week!   :roll: :roll: :roll:
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #2: Aug 24, 2017 08:06:33 am
      Could have gone with an easier draw, need a strong team for that!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6927 
      Reply #3: Aug 24, 2017 09:54:34 am
      Two away games at Leicester in the space of three days. 

Expect we'll be sticking out two entirely different XI's as well.

Hope we manage to get something in the League Cup from them because I really do want to see some of these young lads in more than a couple of games this season.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4: Aug 24, 2017 09:58:40 am
      Could have gone with an easier draw, need a strong team for that!

Not for me.

Kids/fringe in this.

We don't have the squad depth to do well in every competition and now the CL is guarenteeed then the league cup takes a massive back seat to that and the league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Aug 24, 2017 11:43:22 am
      Not for me.

Kids/fringe in this.

We don't have the squad depth to do well in every competition and now the CL is guarenteeed then the league cup takes a massive back seat to that and the league.

yeah I agree with this, i could not give a crap if we get knocked out of this quite early, but if the kids do well then that's a bonus. I'd imagine that Leicester will also field 2 different teams but which match will they prioritise?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #6: Aug 24, 2017 12:37:34 pm
      Got to sack this one off this year.

Play the kids and hopefully they will impress.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts | 85 
      Reply #7: Aug 24, 2017 01:11:09 pm
      Go out and win every game on merit with the best team available within reason, no wimping, no moaning, no I'm on £100,000-a-week so I can't play Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday, no faking illness.  Just go out there with the intention of winning all 4 trophies.

1984 team in LC v Fulham replay (the 3rd game): Grobbelaar, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Lee, Souness, Nicol, Johnston, Robinson and Rush

European Cup same month v Athletic Club Bilbao: Grobbelaar, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Lee, Souness, Nicol, Dalglish, Robinson and Rush
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Aug 24, 2017 02:18:28 pm
      Not for me.

Kids/fringe in this.

Yes - coming out of the international break we are going to have midweek matches for quite a few weeks in a row. I think it will be 7 matches in 22 days from Sept. 9 to Oct. 1. So Klopp will need to rotate and while I'd like to see us win this as well, this competition is most suited for resting some players. Some of the backups, like Grujic, Gomez, Solanke, Kent (if he's still here) have shown some promising signs in preseason and should be very eager for the chance to perform with the first team.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Aug 24, 2017 02:20:33 pm
      Go out and win every game on merit with the best team available within reason, no wimping, no moaning, no I'm on £100,000-a-week so I can't play Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday, no faking illness.  Just go out there with the intention of winning all 4 trophies.

1984 team in LC v Fulham replay (the 3rd game): Grobbelaar, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Lee, Souness, Nicol, Johnston, Robinson and Rush

European Cup same month v Athletic Club Bilbao: Grobbelaar, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Lee, Souness, Nicol, Dalglish, Robinson and Rush

Much more of a squad game these days. And don't forget how this team plays.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Aug 24, 2017 09:16:43 pm

Hope we manage to get something in the League Cup from them because I really do want to see some of these young lads in more than a couple of games this season.

The boys can stay at mine for a few days....I'll look after them  :lmao:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: Aug 25, 2017 02:22:50 am

I have to agree with you there. We simply haven't strenghtened enough to challenge on four fronts so in order to mitigate the chances of injuries to key players at key times, we need to prioritise what's important. If we'd drawn Spurs group I might be inclined to to prioritise this as a trophy but we have a real chance to progress from the Champions League and we need to ensure we qualify for next season's as well. We cannot fall out of it because we picked up injuries in the League Cup.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #12: Aug 25, 2017 08:49:01 am
      We play now as we did in 1984, 100mph all the time.

We have this argument about this round every year, but 2 years ago we needed penalties to get past Carlisle. 3 years ago we needed penalties to beat Middlesbrough. 7 years ago we went to penalties against Northampton. People will say it was because of who was in charge, but we didn't put out our best side either.

It's our responsibility to have adequate cover for the competitions we're in. I'm not a fan of mass rotation, and with 10 less players in the squad than last season, rotation options are limited, especially for an away game at a PL club. The fans who go there deserve to see the best available Liverpool side on the day, to get the job done.

Quick Reply