Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Hoffenheim?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (1.7%)
      Emre Can
      20 (17.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      26 (22.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      61 (52.6%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Aug 27, 2017 09:42:59 pm

Liverpool 4-2 1899 Hoffenheim: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29899 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool 4-2 1899 Hoffenheim: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Aug 24, 2017 02:00:09 am
      I've watched our third goal at least 20 times since full time. What a F***ing move.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #507: Aug 24, 2017 03:11:17 am
      No votes for Hendo motm?

I thought he was excellent.
      TorontoRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #508: Aug 24, 2017 03:22:39 am
      Amazing win from the boys.
      I think my highlight is Mane pulling the exact same move for two of the goals. Just look at how he sends their entire defense to no man's land before his back heels. Fantastic!

Champions League football, coming up. Hope that these 3 straight wins may serve as a lesson for some who were ready to take to the streets after the Watford game. It's a long season and, while things are far from perfect and frustrating at times, we may as well enjoy it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #509: Aug 24, 2017 03:44:22 am
      No votes for Hendo motm?

He was largely ineffective until he pushed up the pitch (which seemed to be against instruction because Milly was definitely not playing the holding role).

I really like Hendo. But he isn't a holding mid. He never has and most likely never will have the discipline to play that role.

I don't mind the sideways passing. Every top team has someone playing that role. But when he has a 10 yard circumference of space in the centre of the pitch and rolls it wide to his fullback who is locked up on the wing with no space to go and eventually forced to kick it down the line for relief, it shows how far off he is to being good enough in that role to transform our side into an elite team.

And off the ball, he pushes way too far out of position to close down the opposition. If he had a partner beside him it'd be ok, but he's the sole holding midfielder. Leave your position and you leave our defence extremely exposed and vulnerable. Not one team in the UCL or any top English side plays without a central midfielder who can exploit the space between the lines. And then you have wide attackers and deep forwards to worry about as well.

He needs to he pushed up the pitch. It'd take advantage of his qualities and relieve him of his weaknesses.

That's my opinion of course. And it could be how it would've panned if Jürgen had a natural replacement at the time he moved Hendo in to that position. But we didn't and we still don't. And that worries me against the elite sides.

Sorry for the rant. I really am happy we got through and we should all be excited we wiped the floor with a really good team. Onwards and upwards.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #510: Aug 24, 2017 03:51:04 am
      Hoffenheim are a good side, I know what you mean but doesn't our record against the top 6 last season give you at least some confidence, Jürgen has proven he knows how to exploit weaknesses in quality opposition and will continue to.

Granted a Real or Bayern will rip some of our defending to absolute shreds at the moment, but that's the very top end, up until that point I think we'll be fine.

I do think we need to improve our defense,but I disagree that those two teams would rip us to shreds. The potency of our attack makes a big difference to our overall defensive effort.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #511: Aug 24, 2017 03:59:38 am
      6 slick & crisp passes & ball in the onion bag..loved it..

Yes, but look at the ground covered by Bobby through the whole sequence. He comes back into his own half to receive the pass from Moreno, plays it back to Gini and he's turning near midfield (still in his own half) when Gini plays the great pass for Sadio. But then Bobby makes a 55-yard lung-bursting run into the space ahead and to the left of Sadio, who sees the run and plays it perfectly. Bobby then caps the whole thing with a perfect chipped pass to Can for the finish.

There's a lot of forwards who may get more headlines, but who would never have shown for the ball, made the smart pass back, made the run downfield (and quickly) or made the final pass. Perfect player for this system and as someone recently said on here, he basically is the system. Brilliance.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #512: Aug 24, 2017 04:06:42 am
      I've watched our third goal at least 20 times since full time. What a f**king move.

Yes. Like a Rembrandt, it doesn't get old to look at. Trying to find a stand alone link to on YouTube that shows the whole thing. I want to  show the forwards on the team I coach the movement and especially the run of Firmino.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #513: Aug 24, 2017 06:16:51 am
      Entertaining stuff that, best performance of the season.

Mignolet - Some of those claims were second third attempts so he was a bit cagey, don't think he was at fault for either goal but I won't be surprised if some have pinned that on him. 6.5

TAA - Really really good going forward has good feet and that switch field pass from Moreno which TAA cushioned it into Salah's path in the first half was good stuff and epitomised him offensively. Defensively, he was caught a couple of times through a lack of experience but I think this "system" doesn't offer our fullbacks as much cover like a conventional four man midfield does. Sometimes Mane, or in TAA's case Salah drops back and helps out but really our FB are exposed to the elements of the opposition. A very encouraging performance from TAA and Clyne will have his work cut out to get back in the side. 7.5

Matip - Good to see him play consecutive games because I think he's a decent CB and we need to keep him fit. Did another good job at the back tonight. 7

Lovren - Cannot really criticise the man this week, all though if I was being uber critical his failed pass from the back that fell straight to one of their midfielders who then played in their first goal scorer with Moreno narrow could have been better cleared. But I think he did okay overall. 7

Moreno - See TAA. Linked up really well with Mane in the first half especially. 7.5

Henderson - The only "disciplined" midfield position on our team and then at times went solo pressing as the furthest man forward. Had a good game tonight and was rewarded with an assist made all be himself. Being the only "sitter" if you like in this system isn't easy when the game is so expansive and I was surprised to see that Klopp didn't control this a lot earlier on by asking Can to drop in and play alongside the captain. Like the fullbacks, this system can expose Henderson at times but thankfully with the start we had it enabled us to stay on the front foot. 7

Can - If anyone set the tone for us tonight it was this fella, came out busting a gut, pressing and running down Hoffenheim, his second goal "that's football" as Klopp shouted along the sideline, was a pure delight and deserved his his brace. 8

Gini - If it wasn't for Mane this fella would have been my MotM. Took a lot of stick last week from some but Gini was back to his best tonight in an open game playing pure football. He was center forward at times, left back at others, and continued to battle his way through midfield with that beautiful passing game of his. Played his part I think in Can's sumptious team goal with a lovely through pass down the left hand wing. Good to see Gini back doing what he does best, unlucky not to have a goal to. 8.5

Sadio Suarez - Hoffenheim will have nightmares for weeks on end after coming up against this fella. Just a quality player who not only has the pace to burn but reads the game so well. His covering at LB with that chested back pass capped off another hardworking display, coupled with the usual pace and trickery. 9

Firmino - Perfect game for Bobby. Managed to score in open play but like last season when many of his assists were celebrated more than the goals *chuckles* I think it would be only fair if we celebrate Henderson's work and assist as much as the goal in return.  :f_tongueincheek:  Played two good through balls in the first half, missed another couple of chances but kept their defence honest. 8

Salah - In and out the game, but where applicable his pace meant he was always a threat. Didn't hold the ball up well at times with a few lose passes but did get an easy goal in off the post from Gini's effort. 7.5

A good performance. And again, similar to Spurs last year I think Hoffenheim naively played into our hands with a high line and three CB's. I think their coach realised his error and changed something around 25 minutes into the game, by which time we'd had already taken advantage of the invitation and was 3-0 up. Our "system" still sees us very susceptible to conceding and would probably even make the best full backs and midfielders look a little exposed - doesn't mean we can't improve though.

I hope Arsenal to will come out and play because if they do - as they look a little bit soft at the back as well then I can see another 3pts in the bag on Monday night. Will Wenger be that naive?

Good win, back in the Champions League proper - the business starts now, well done Jürgen and the lads for doing this, hopefully we'll be allowed to spend some of that 200 million now that we've qualified.  ;)
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 09:39:02 am by Beerbelly »
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #514: Aug 24, 2017 06:18:05 am
      Everyone played an amazing game except for Lovren. Sane, Firmino, Can all had an amazing game but I was really impressed with Mignolet. He really seems to have a whole lot better. His anticipation to come off the line for one of their moves in the first half and then the deflected saves were standout moments for me. The increased competition seems to have worked in his favour. Hope he continues this form throughout the season, we need him to with this fragile defence.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #515: Aug 24, 2017 07:24:26 am
      Great performance and result.
      Just want to state I thought Moreno put in a damn good performance.
      Bobby was my man of the match but Alberto has really come on.
      Impressed.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #516: Aug 24, 2017 07:43:49 am
      https://twitter.com/MrBoywunder/status/900445426985443328

This goal is stupidly good for all the right reasons. Love Jürgen's reaction to it "That's football!", ripped them apart with ease but such precision.

Also didn't give Gini the credit he deserved at the time for the pass, that was sumptuous!

Love this goal, thanks for the reminder.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #517: Aug 24, 2017 08:06:09 am
      Just get yourself a Mag 250 mate. £220 for install including first year then £100 a year after that. Every channel. I've fu**ed Sky right off.

DM me if you want any info and a contact

Got one of those Kodi boxes mate, £100 one off cost. Normally it's spot on, last night though was just sh*te.

Can't wait for the draw now!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #518: Aug 24, 2017 09:29:44 am
      We need a proper DM in this team and Lovren costs us another goal, again. Salah needs to improve a lot, he relies too much on his pace.

Other than that Mane, Firmino and Can were very good.

We need to change this 4-3-3 for sure, we need a proper midfield balance. No one is properly protecting the defense.

I'm happy we won, but we've got a lot to improve, luckily for us we have Mane and Firmino.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #519: Aug 24, 2017 09:33:51 am
      No votes for Hendo motm?

To be honest the whole team was superb bar maybe Wijnaldum who lost the ball a few times and Lovren who was a again bit shaky but even those 2 were overall pretty good.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #520: Aug 24, 2017 09:47:15 am
      I've watched our third goal at least 20 times since full time. What a f**king move.

Gets better on each watch - ball from Wijnaldum was perfect, whole move was delicious.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #521: Aug 24, 2017 10:26:29 am
      Love this goal, thanks for the reminder.
      A la Mcdermot v Spurs in the 7-0 win in '78 I think it was?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #522: Aug 24, 2017 10:39:05 am
      Wow, what a performance, especially in the first half. That's what European nights are all about. Playing at a fast pace, blowing teams away with the atmosphere buzzing around the ground.

The football at times was breathtakingly good and that third goal is one of the best I've ever seen at Anfield in my whole life. I do have a couple of small negatives (nothing that we all haven't spoken about before) and I'm certain our defensive issues and squad depth will bite us on the arse a few times this season but that was a great performance last night and the boys and Jürgen deserve huge credit. Hoffenheim are a very good side and we made them look like Everton.

Coutinho must have been watching that last night just itching to get involved again. That's what you're missing out on sunshine so stop sulking and get a kit on.

Mignolet.  Overall, he was pretty good. I do think he could have done a bit better for their first goal and kept that shot out, I also think for their second goal he could have collected the cross (must have been 8 yards out by the time it reached the guys head?) but maybe I'm being too harsh.

Moreno. He played a lot better than usual and he did well supporting the attack last night but he made the same old type of mistakes. He was caught out of position a couple of times (I'll have to check the replays but I remember thinking he was all over the place for their first goal?) and he dived into a couple of tackles as usual and let the attacking player skip past him. I do think he has improved somewhat but he isn't the answer to our LB problems.

Lovren. Wasn't happy seeing him on the team sheet but he did well for most parts. Again, some mistakes though and it was him who lost possession for their first goal if I remember rightly.

Matip. Was very impressed with Joel against Palace and same again last night. Just imagine VVD alongside him. They'd be the best pairing in the league by far.

TAA. This boy is special. Full of energy, full of life, really does have that scouse spirit. Very impressive going forward and he has probably made that right back position his own now which is very impressive for a boy of 18yrs old and taking it from an established England international. Due to age and inexperience he will make mistakes and he did get caught out once or twice last night and lost track of his man but he is only going to improve the more he plays.

Henderson. God this lad frustrates the life out of me. I don't want to be too negative and put a dark cloud over what was a great team performance but I'm sorry I wasn't impressed with our skipper yet again. I thought his performance while we were in possession was poor but as usual he did well when they had the ball and covered ground for us. But even our fourth goal annoyed me and its bizarre saying that! Firstly, he sh*t out of the tackle and he was very lucky their centre half sh*t out even more than what he did. Secondly, name me a proper leader who passes in a one on one situation with the goalie, in a European cup qualifier, when you have the golden chance to take responsibility and send your team through infront of the kop? It was proper shithouse behaviour in my opinion.  Yes it came off, and passing to firmino proved to be the right decision, but imagine if it went horribly wrong? No sorry, if that was gerrard, suarez or even carra then they are putting their boot through that and sending us through. Proper men, proper leaders.

Wijanldum. Much, much better than what we've seen of him so far this season. Much more involved and that pass to Mane for our third goal was inch perfect. He was unlucky not to score when he hit the post but luckily salah was there to tap it in. Got into the box a lot more, put himself about, won 50-50s, battled throughout. Much better Gini and you have to perform like this every single week and not go missing. We've all seen you can do it.

Can. Great to see him getting forward more too and scoring 2 goals. In general he played well too. A very good performance from Emre.

Mane. My motm. Hoffenheim couldn't cope with him (who can?). Mane has over taken coutinho now in being our best player, he is world class. He is involved in literally every one of our attacks. He looks like hes going to score in every game he plays for me and that is a sign of a top, top player. its probably been mentioned already, but I absolutely loved it when the hoffenheim fans were giving him stick and he reacted by clapping to the Liverpool fans then raising his arms up and down for us to make more noise. The ground responded and there was a real buzz followed by oooo MANE MANE der der der der der der. It was class.

Firmino. He was amazing. A big part of our play going forward, showing his intelligence and quality on the ball but what impresses me is how hard he works for the team too and how much he battles. Firmino is a winner. He gave a top performance and he was another player Hoffenheim couldn't handle.

Salah. Still a little rusty with his final ball or shot but this lad will be a great signing/player for us. He brings much more balance to our attack and is a constant threat with his pace. He really does have that knack of being in the right place at the right time. Another decent performance from Mo and he certainly plays his part in the best attack in the world.

Very good performance from the mighty reds and its exciting to think Coutinho and Lallana are yet to come in and be a part of this. Looking forward for the draw later today now...its f**king great being back where we belong isn't it?

You have a week John Henry, go and sign a couple of players and give us that much needed push and lets win number 6.

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 10:43:57 am by HamannsTheMan »
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #523: Aug 24, 2017 01:12:02 pm
      wonderful first 30 mins. just shows how exciting we can be going forward.  Play like that every week and it does not matter how many we concede cos we will score more.

YNWA :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #524: Aug 24, 2017 01:16:45 pm
      Absolutely loved this game, having just watched it again this morning.  Well done lads, and the coaching staff, superb effort from the fans too. 

I gave Gini the man of the match.  I know there are more obvious candidates, and just as deserving. 
      I always say this but its amazing when you read the live match thread how much stick our mids get.  Probably shredded nerves and fans on the edges of their sofas play a part in it, but I thought Hendo, Can and in particular, Gini were absolutely superb.  Having seen it again, and looked out for them in particular, I'm even more impressed. 

Lots of people gave a lot of criticism for Dejan, and Mo's performances, and neither had a great game.  Dejan will get singled out for their first goal but it was actually a lack of midfield cover, Matip seeing this and rushing out of position, missing a tackle and then being slow to meet Dejan's quick pass to him that led to it, and to Bertie moving inside to cover and freeing Uth.  Dejan's mistake is just the more obvious one.

Mo had an odd night, in spite of scoring off Gini's rebound.  I thought he looked pretty fed up at times.  Despite often losing the ball or running into dead-ends, he was a vital threat to their ragged defence and a useful out ball all night.  When he lost the ball, it was usually in a position where he had no options near him.  I'll let him off the hook. 

My last word for Simon.  Some vital saves and interceptions, and much better command of his box.  He does have a few shortcomings, we know, but he kept us in the first leg and gave a good account of himself last night, bar the dropped high ball, in my opinion.  Can't fault him for the goals.

Bring on Barca.  Let's show them who they're dealing with (or rather NOT dealing with).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #525: Aug 24, 2017 01:19:47 pm
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #526: Aug 24, 2017 01:21:29 pm
      Yes, but look at the ground covered by Bobby through the whole sequence. He comes back into his own half to receive the pass from Moreno, plays it back to Gini and he's turning near midfield (still in his own half) when Gini plays the great pass for Sadio. But then Bobby makes a 55-yard lung-bursting run into the space ahead and to the left of Sadio, who sees the run and plays it perfectly. Bobby then caps the whole thing with a perfect chipped pass to Can for the finish.

There's a lot of forwards who may get more headlines, but who would never have shown for the ball, made the smart pass back, made the run downfield (and quickly) or made the final pass. Perfect player for this system and as someone recently said on here, he basically is the system. Brilliance.

That was me! :) :) :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #527: Aug 24, 2017 01:27:00 pm

Indeed it was, and it remains spot on.

Funny how some can't see it and keep insisting we need a "real" striker, or "fox in the box" type.
      If we played all the time with a central striker (like Sturridge) we would lose so many potent threats.

Firmino = the glue that binds us together.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #528: Aug 24, 2017 01:34:18 pm
      How good was Emre Can's second goal?! Must be the best team goal I've seen in a stadium. Simply beautiful, lethal counter attack. A very enjoyable night at Anfield!

Quick Reply