Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Hoffenheim?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (1.7%)
      Emre Can
      20 (17.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      26 (22.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      61 (52.6%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Aug 27, 2017 09:42:59 pm

Liverpool 4-2 1899 Hoffenheim: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29907 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 4-2 1899 Hoffenheim: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Aug 24, 2017 02:15:37 pm
      Absolutely loved this game, having just watched it again this morning.  Well done lads, and the coaching staff, superb effort from the fans too. 

I gave Gini the man of the match.  I know there are more obvious candidates, and just as deserving. 
      I always say this but its amazing when you read the live match thread how much stick our mids get.  Probably shredded nerves and fans on the edges of their sofas play a part in it, but I thought Hendo, Can and in particular, Gini were absolutely superb.  Having seen it again, and looked out for them in particular, I'm even more impressed. 

Lots of people gave a lot of criticism for Dejan, and Mo's performances, and neither had a great game.  Dejan will get singled out for their first goal but it was actually a lack of midfield cover, Matip seeing this and rushing out of position, missing a tackle and then being slow to meet Dejan's quick pass to him that led to it, and to Bertie moving inside to cover and freeing Uth.  Dejan's mistake is just the more obvious one.

Mo had an odd night, in spite of scoring off Gini's rebound.  I thought he looked pretty fed up at times.  Despite often losing the ball or running into dead-ends, he was a vital threat to their ragged defence and a useful out ball all night.  When he lost the ball, it was usually in a position where he had no options near him.  I'll let him off the hook. 

My last word for Simon.  Some vital saves and interceptions, and much better command of his box.  He does have a few shortcomings, we know, but he kept us in the first leg and gave a good account of himself last night, bar the dropped high ball, in my opinion.  Can't fault him for the goals.

Bring on Barca.  Let's show them who they're dealing with (or rather NOT dealing with).

Gini man of the match, seriously?? he was about the only poor player we had last night, constantly got caught on the ball, misplaced passes. Compared to Mane he was fairly terrible, and you say you've watched the match twice, wow!!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #530: Aug 24, 2017 02:32:05 pm
      Gini man of the match, seriously?? he was about the only poor player we had last night, constantly got caught on the ball, misplaced passes. Compared to Mane he was fairly terrible, and you say you've watched the match twice, wow!!

He was quality.

If it wasn't for Mane he'd have been my MotM to.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #531: Aug 24, 2017 02:34:05 pm
      He was quality.

If it wasn't for Mane he'd have been my MotM to.

So was there someone else in midfield who kept losing the ball then, must have been 4-5 times at least, perhaps I'm being harsh on gini, but I thought he had a poor game.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #532: Aug 24, 2017 02:58:52 pm

Look I'm over the moon at the display yesterday and delighted with the result, no one was really terrible but I did think Lovren and Gini were the only 2 average'ish players and there was someone who kept losing the ball in midfield on quite a few occasions. Now I could mistaken thinking it was always Gini but if it wasn't him then I'm baffled who else it could have been.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #533: Aug 24, 2017 03:06:00 pm
      So was there someone else in midfield who kept losing the ball then, must have been 4-5 times at least, perhaps I'm being harsh on gini, but I thought he had a poor game.

Look back at the times when he lost the ball. It was his own team putting him in situations where he was under immediate pressure. Most of the time it was teammates (Lovren twice I think, Henderson too) blasting it into his feet, with him facing our own goal, wanting to get rid of it while Wijnaldum was surrounded by three Hoffenheim players who immediately started pressing him. I think he only lost it twice because of his own doing (could've been slightly more).

I'm not saying he would've been my MOTM, but it was a much improved performance by him compared to the previous three and it was much more the Wijnaldum we were used to seeing in some of his best performance in the big games last season. He linked up play well and most importantly, he made his trademark runs into the box again. That's what I was missing from his last few games.
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 06:53:20 pm by Danzel »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #534: Aug 24, 2017 03:11:33 pm
      Look back at the times when he lost the ball. It was his own team putting him in situations where he was under immediate pressure. Most of the time it was teammates (Lovren twice I think, Hendersoon too) blasting it into his feet, with him facing our own goal, wanting to get rid of it while Wijnaldum was surrounded by three Hoffenheim players who immediately started pressing him. I think he only lost it twice because of his own doing (could've been slightly more).

I'm not saying he would've been my MOTM, but it was a much improved performance by him compared by the previous three and it was much more the Wijnaldum we were used to seeing in some of his best performance in the big games last season. He linked up play well and most importantly, he made his trademark runs into the box again. That's what I was missing from his last few games.

ok fair enough, anyway it was a fantastic team performance and a great game of football
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #535: Aug 24, 2017 03:15:54 pm
      Look back at the times when he lost the ball. It was his own team putting him in situations where he was under immediate pressure. Most of the time it was teammates (Lovren twice I think, Hendersoon too) blasting it into his feet, with him facing our own goal, wanting to get rid of it while Wijnaldum was surrounded by three Hoffenheim players who immediately started pressing him. I think he only lost it twice because of his own doing (could've been slightly more).

I'm not saying he would've been my MOTM, but it was a much improved performance by him compared by the previous three and it was much more the Wijnaldum we were used to seeing in some of his best performance in the big games last season. He linked up play well and most importantly, he made his trademark runs into the box again. That's what I was missing from his last few games.

Definitely a much improved performance from Gini, this is the sort of game where he excels with space to run into.

It's when we face the low block teams where he needs to back his ability.
      There again if he had Coutinho or Lallana next to him it would take the pressure of him to be the creative link in midfield.

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #536: Aug 24, 2017 04:18:23 pm
      Seeing quite a few negative posts regarding Gini on yesterdays performance, I find it baffling if I'm honest the lad took the fight to Hoffenheim and never let up. Whenever he lost the ball it was generally after the 3rd Hoffenheim player finally managed to crowd him out.

I'd also like to point out the difference in attitude towards our 2 starting full backs on the night from the crowd within Anfield. Both were excellent going forward, both made errors TAA twice in the first half, and Moreno once in the 2nd barring this both did OK defensively. However TAA got a standing ovation from the crowd when he was subbed for Gomez, Moreno got slated for his mishap and was immediately jeered and sniggered at. Lets get behind the lads FFS, if your going to vilify a player for 1 mishap when he's played a cracking game of football the lad must be bricking it to even step on to the turf in a red shirt!

TAA is a proper talent, he's naïve defensively and needs time and experience to become a regular first teamer imo but he's got a management team that believe in him and he'll only improve and could well go on to become one of the very best full backs we've had (plus he's already outscoring my personal fav rb Rob Jones!!! :f_tongueincheek:). Moreno lets get behind the lad, he's improved no end imo since last year when the manager pulled him out of the limelight, you can see the coaching staff have work with him and for me it's paying off. He's still young and I believe if he continues to improve he'll be a big asset especially against the bus parkers that come to Anfield.

Mane btw is a beast of a player, loved it when he was arm gesturing to the crowd when the away fans were giving him a bit. My MOTM for what it's worth but all in all a truly excellent performance from the lads. Love it when we start games so bright and quick more of the same please. YNWA
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #537: Aug 24, 2017 04:54:41 pm
      Now that I've changed my boxers for the 19th time after the excitement of that game, I can comment calmly.

F***ING EH!

So good to have the glittering European nights back. Hoffenheim are no Real but they're not a bad team, that display was awesome. Proud to be a Red as always.

Ps; tiny small print...please please please get VDV or someone equivalent, let's not undermine a whole campaign of PL and CL because of our inability to close a deal on a glaringly obvious shortfall.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #538: Aug 24, 2017 05:45:13 pm
      Bit late but sensational performance last night. Reminded me of that 13-14 season. Would have been easy to sit back and see what happens but we took the bull by the horns and stomped all over them - get in!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #539: Aug 24, 2017 06:40:00 pm
      Brilliant result last night, so happy for the lads. Could have been 10, i didn't expect them to keep that pace up all night.

Well, on we roll, we just need to strengthen the squad now for what is going to be a gruelling campaign.

Come on the Redmen!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #540: Aug 24, 2017 08:44:12 pm
      I've been in Cornwall on a site with no signal whatsoever ever 😳
      Have to travel to get a connection. Managed to se highlights and thought we played terrific but the old defensive sh*te called in again I see.
      Emphatic win in the end so well done all round. Gave bob motm, thought he was excellent.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #541: Aug 25, 2017 01:54:49 am
      A very good overall performance. Our attack is lethal.  Very fast movement of the ball forward. No dallying, that's what I like most. Mane twisting to the left left and right  made a big difference. Defenders do not know which direction he will move. Everyone played their part well. Firminho's crosses are world class.  If we had a pure DM, it'll be more more devastating. I thought Matip was poor. He tried to play the role of DM but never got those early tackles in.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2017 12:13:31 pm by redkop63 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #542: Aug 25, 2017 04:23:26 am
      Honestly still watching the third goal on repeat.

That combination from Bob and Gini is F***ing orgasmic. The first touch from Bob in to the path of Gini for the first time pass.

Then Mane engaging both defenders, Bob occupying the open space and the pin point chip to Can.

Far out.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #543: Aug 25, 2017 01:55:49 pm

Seriously!  The second time you watch, when you know the outcome and the tension has gone you see all sorts you missed the first  time.  As I suggested, there were several I could have named as my man MOTM, but I went for Gini because nobody else had and I felt he was as deserving as anybody.  It's my opinion, but I base it on what I saw.  Of course, you are well within your rights to disagree! 

Quick Reply