Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Where Do We Stand With FSG If There Are No More Signings?

Read 17811 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Where Do We Stand With FSG If There Are No More Signings?
      Reply #138: Aug 26, 2017 12:39:44 pm
      I remember years ago, Brian Clough in charge of Notts Forest, he was all hush hush about a signing they had made, got everyone wondering who it was, everybody was excited, until the announcement.....

Robert Rosario.

Pretty much expecting similar here with us, whoever we sign now, will simply be a gesture signing.

F***ing hell, there's a blast from the past.

A real superstar that Rosario  :laugh:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #139: Aug 26, 2017 12:42:06 pm
      Break the club record transfer fee
      "FSG are sh*t"

:laugh:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #140: Aug 26, 2017 12:59:53 pm
      I'd like to believe and back Klopp where FSG are concerned because quite frankly their record here in seven years speaks for itself.

Agreed. If things need fundamental changing, need them to drive it. Over several managers, they are a common demonenator.

Jürgen's not beyond critisism, definitely not. But you'd have to wonder where the hell we'd go looking after Jürgen, if he can't turn things around?! Got to give him time.

In saying that, find it hard to reconcile Jurgens confidence pre-summer over upcoming signings, compared with the reality as of now.

And in saying that, can't think of ANYONE else I'd like to have on our sideline rather that Jürgen.

Hows that for a 'gaggle' of contradictions!! ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #141: Aug 26, 2017 01:12:53 pm
      Agreed. If things need fundamental changing, need them to drive it. Over several managers, they are a common demonenator.

Jürgen's not beyond critisism, definitely not. But you'd have to wonder where the hell we'd go looking after Jürgen, if he can't turn things around?! Got to give him time.

In saying that, find it hard to reconcile Jurgens confidence pre-summer over upcoming signings, compared with the reality as of now.

And in saying that, can't think of ANYONE else I'd like to have on our sideline rather that Jürgen.

Turn things around ?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #142: Aug 26, 2017 01:26:25 pm

I'm thinking/hoping he'll outlive them at LFC.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #143: Aug 26, 2017 01:39:50 pm

Yea, like win stuff.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #144: Aug 26, 2017 01:48:41 pm

Yeah I was bit puzled by that seeing as we've just qualified for the CL and had a good start to the league campaign.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #145: Aug 26, 2017 08:01:25 pm
      "FSG are sh*t"

Yeah breaking the Club transfer record  :o £35 m woopie f***in' doo... If you Believe Liverpool FC is still a "Big Club" we should be at least matching the prices paid for players that the like of Utd,City, Arsenal and Chelsea shell out
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #146: Aug 26, 2017 08:18:48 pm
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #147: Aug 26, 2017 08:23:43 pm
      Very disappointed that's where I stand.
      And let's not beat about the bush on this one this is down to where is all the money???
      We have shifted a lot of players for a lot of money ,last season net spend not a awful lot compared to others.
      This year again not a great deal really.
      Massive tv revenues vast increase in our marketing and sponsorship monies flooding in.
      Transfer activity errrr very underwhelming to day the least.
      I will give them credit just for getting JK in ,but that's it.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #148: Aug 26, 2017 08:46:38 pm
      Need more progressive owners than FSG, to compete with the elite clubs, sad to say.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #149: Aug 26, 2017 09:04:18 pm
      Need more progressive owners than FSG, to compete with the elite clubs, sad to say.
      Cheer mate  :)  That's the word I was looking for... We are a "Big" club on pass history, but we are not an "Elite" club
      Conman
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts | 13 
      Reply #150: Aug 26, 2017 09:33:53 pm
      We did things on the absolute cheap last year to the point of having a net spend of Zero. We were the only club out of all the top 20 clubs to have a minus net spend.. the closest was Spurs who had a +20m net spend.

We were made to believe we took this approach because we had no champions league and a good enough squad to compete for the top 4 spots. We achieved our goal but it was tough, really tough.

We were then made to believe after doing things on the cheap for the last 2-3 years things would change now we're back in the CL. And what have we seen? More players coming in on the cheap and a load of lies to cover what's really going on.

FSG must have made so much profit that it's become sickening..  they're not bothered about us winning trophies, they are only bothered about the yearly profits. They are business men looking for a quick buck before eventually selling up and making even more profit. But why would they sell? The Premier league is the richest league in the world and FSG will take all the years worth of hard work and stick in straight into their back pockets.

But we'll carry on pretending it's not happening.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #151: Aug 26, 2017 09:44:42 pm
      Until we see new owners, the trophy cupboard, could well stay bare. Unfortunately difficult times for Reds' fans under present ownership.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #152: Aug 26, 2017 10:40:24 pm
      If there are no more signings this window then it's clear as day our present owners have no ambition for us to win a trophy under their tenure and are only leeching off of the clubs profits.

There should be mass protests from supporters at games and through social media until they sell and move on.

What's the point in having a world class manager if there is no ambition to back his vision for the club?
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2017 11:15:02 pm by bazspeedman »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #153: Aug 26, 2017 11:00:47 pm
      "FSG are sh*t"

That is such sh*t really :lmao: they've been here how long? With the inflated prices the fact our club record is 36 million says all you need to know.

You know this already but ahh well.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #154: Aug 26, 2017 11:21:18 pm
      That is such sh*t really :lmao: they've been here how long? With the inflated prices the fact our club record is 36 million says all you need to know.

Of course it's sh*t. It's not even an argument.

Look how much we sell our top players for, Torres, Sterling, Suarez.

All north of 50 million before ultra inflation. Net profit again when talking about selling our stars and buying record fees.

And yet, we've got to be grateful because they bought one player for 36 million pounds.

Do me a favour.  :D
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017 03:40:14 am by Beerbelly »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #155: Aug 27, 2017 01:25:58 am
      "FSG are sh*t"

I'm sorry Swab but you're every bit as bad as the FSG haters, just at the opposite end of the spectrum. Record broken or not you cannot get away from the fact that this Summer transfer window has been another substanded one in terms of player aquisition, in terms of First Team and subsequently squad strengthening at a critical moment in our redevelopment. Klopp does himself no favours saying Milner is like a new signing and his entire plan is "we'll be fine if we don't get injuries". That isn't a plan because we will pick up injuries and if they come at the busiest time of year like they have in the past, it could very likely end up resulting in our being outside the Top four again come the end of the season. There is no two ways about this situation. We have not bought well enough. Thats not necessarily FSG's fault but it is a fact that can't be denied by pretending that breaking our transfer record makes up for it.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #156: Aug 27, 2017 01:40:22 am

I wouldn't call them elite, more ambitious I would say.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #157: Aug 27, 2017 11:12:08 am

Meant to respond to that earlier, it's a non argument. You have to be willing to spend what the market dictates at which today is at 70 odd mill for a quality player (in the main).

And we can afford to do that for at least 1 or 2 players per window - we can't compete on EVERY player but we can compete when the right players come along but we choose not to. Don't let the resident FSG brigade have you believe otherwise
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017 01:22:33 pm by RedWilly »
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #158: Aug 27, 2017 11:43:39 am
      Meant to respond to that earlier, it's a non argument. You have to be willing to spend what the market dictates at which today is at 70 odd mill for a quality player (in the main).

And we can afford to do that for at least 1 or 2 players per window - we can't compete on EVERY player but we can't compete when the right players come along but we choose not to. Don't let the resident FSG brigade have you believe otherwise

Yep when you look at the fees paid this year a £35/40 mil player is a £15/20 mil player a few years back.

Those £35/40 mil top of the drawer players of yesteryear are now your £70 mil players.

Like Robertson at £10 mil or whatever it was he'd have been a £3 - £5 mil player.

I mean Everton have just spent what £45 mil on Gylfi, just shows how tight we actually are.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #159: Aug 27, 2017 03:05:14 pm
      I'm not a massive fan of FSG but we, as a group, need to face up to a few facts. Football is a business in this day and age. If the club ignores this and spends money it hasn't got then there is a real risk we'll end up like Leeds. They gambled when they got to the CL and went out and signed lots of 'marquee' players; look where it got them.

To compete with the elite clubs, we need to pursue other sources of revenue. This article makes interesting (and slightly depressing) reading:

http://www.scmp.com/sport/soccer/article/2073764/how-liverpool-fcs-new-md-billy-hogan-plans-expand-clubs-reach-china-and

We have First team players recording Chinese New Year messages in Mandarin to be played in China, Jürgen Klopp 'ringing' Chinese table-tennis great Deng Yaping to ask for tips on how to beat Coutinho and Firmino at table tennis! Quite honestly, it sickens me that we do this stuff ... it's so false and disingenuous but it is part of 'the game' and, if we want to get ourselves back at the top table again, then we need to be playing it.

We're still behind the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd etc by approx £200m per year in terms of our revenue. However, we're closing the gap ... which says to me that FSG are doing the right things, but it isn't a gap that we're going to close in a few weeks or months - it will take time because this is stuff they all started doing years before we did.

We have just spent circa £115m increasing the capacity of the main stand which will mean additional revenue for the club over many years to come. This is long-term sustainable revenue as a direct result of investment from FSG.

As I say, I'm not necessarily pro-FSG ... we are just an investment to them. They looked at how things were run previously and saw financial potential. There is no emotional attachment from them in the same way that we are attached to LFC - they are cold-hearted business people. But then so are the owners of Man Utd and other elite clubs.

I sense that they are good at what they do and that they will get it right eventually. This will translate to on-field success because, as our revenue goes up, we will be able to afford to play players better wages (wages are more significant than transfer fees and eat up much more of our overall budget) and attract better players.
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017 03:10:48 pm by ed603em »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #160: Aug 27, 2017 06:55:40 pm
      I sense that they are good at what they do and that they will get it right eventually. This will translate to on-field success because, as our revenue goes up, we will be able to afford to play players better wages (wages are more significant than transfer fees and eat up much more of our overall budget) and attract better players.

Quick Reply