Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Where Do We Stand With FSG If There Are No More Signings?

Read 17812 times
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Re: Where Do We Stand With FSG If There Are No More Signings?
      Reply #23: Aug 25, 2017 12:33:55 pm
      If we don't get a CB, it's madness.
      You could take just about any CB from any top league and we'd have an upgrade on Lovren.

Unless Sakho and Klopp make up, then maybe it's not so bad, but can't see it happening.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #24: Aug 25, 2017 01:01:57 pm
      Seems to me like Klopp doesn't like what is being presented as the second choices.

Hardly surprising if you look at what was presented to Brendan after Suarez left.

Been saying this for a while. It started (although I didn't realise it at the time) with the left back last season. My hunch is that JĆ¼rgen wanted the German fella who played for them in the World Cup (can't remember his name, but he was rumoured to be available for 20 million quid). I think Chilwell was the suggested TC "alternative" (he'd barely played for Leicester so f*** knows how we're supposed to believe he was Jurgens pick), but the boss's lack of enthusiasm and the climbing fee led us to pull the plug.

Then this season, VVD and Keita were the boss's choices. No doubt the TC have given him a list of "viables" now that we can't seemingly get the main targets "over the line". JĆ¼rgen though has looked at the Ben Gibson's and James Ward Prowse's and thought, "y'know what? I'll pass".

The future of the TC is being played out before our eyes, most of us just haven't realised it yet. Just so long as we remember whose fault it is when it goes pear shaped again around Crimbo, all is good.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #25: Aug 25, 2017 01:09:05 pm
      All I know is with the money we have to spend (supposedly), the manager we have, Champions League and our history as one of the all time clubs in Europe and England, there should be absolutely no reason we can't attract ANY player. The only reason we can't add players is if JĆ¼rgen won't budge on this supposed wishlist of 3 players or if FSG won't sanction the spending. Those really are the only two viable reasons the way I see it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26: Aug 25, 2017 01:09:56 pm
      JĆ¼rgen Klopp offered his latest thoughts on the transfer window on Friday.

At his pre-match press conference, the Liverpool manager was asked about potential business by the club before the deadline next Thursday.

ā€œUntil August 31, thatā€™s how the business is ā€“ a lot of things are really possible, ins and outs. Thatā€™s how it is,ā€ he replied.

ā€œIā€™ve said it a few times, if the transfer window closed tomorrow, it is like it is and Iā€™m happy with it.

ā€œJust to say, in the Champions League game Divock Origi was not in the squad. He has nothing wrong, that just shows how big the quality already is. Thatā€™s just one example. Other players were also not in the squad.

ā€œThatā€™s the situation. We work on it, you can imagine. Thatā€™s all aside; I prepare [for] Arsenal. We are in talks. Will something happen? I donā€™t know.

ā€œObviously this transfer window is different to all other transfer windows.

ā€œAnd Iā€™ve also said it before, Andrew Robertson showed up against Crystal Palace. Before he showed up, I think everybody thought ā€˜Robertson from Hull?ā€™ and now think ā€˜Oh my God, heā€™s really strong!ā€™ Iā€™m completely fine and happy with him. Dominic Solanke showed everything you want to see from a new player in a really short time. Mo Salah, we donā€™t have to talk about this.

ā€œJames Milner plays in midfield again, thatā€™s like a transfer for us. Alberto Moreno plays left-back again in an outstanding [way]. If a few people would not still remember that a year ago he made a mistake, against Arsenal maybe, then everybody would say ā€˜What a performance!ā€™ I can do it easily. Obviously Iā€™m pretty much alone with this view. But thatā€™s no problem.

ā€œWe will see what happens. Iā€™m happy at the moment. Will I be happy on 31 still? Not sure. Will I be happier? Possible ā€“ we will see.ā€
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/273221-JĆ¼rgen-klopp-s-transfers-update

And there you have it.

Now all we have to do is wait for the inevitable twisting of Klopps words, and "reading between the lines" and all the other nonsense people post up to pursue an agenda or try to stir sh*t.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Aug 25, 2017 01:15:53 pm
      Been saying this for a while. It started (although I didn't realise it at the time) with the left back last season. My hunch is that JĆ¼rgen wanted the German fella who played for them in the World Cup (can't remember his name, but he was rumoured to be available for 20 million quid). I think Chilwell was the suggested TC "alternative" (he'd barely played for Leicester so f*** knows how we're supposed to believe he was Jurgens pick), but the boss's lack of enthusiasm and the climbing fee led us to pull the plug.

Then this season, VVD and Keita were the boss's choices. No doubt the TC have given him a list of "viables" now that we can't seemingly get the main targets "over the line". JĆ¼rgen though has looked at the Ben Gibson's and James Ward Prowse's and thought, "y'know what? I'll pass".

The future of the TC is being played out before our eyes, most of us just haven't realised it yet. Just so long as we remember whose fault it is when it goes pear shaped again around Crimbo, all is good.

That may be true but surely JĆ¼rgen has his own opinions of good players, the same as we do. For example if he went to the owners and said lets sign Hoewedes then surely they'd sanction tat wouldn't they or do we think they'd block him and Klopp would still be smiling?

It all boils  down to if we think that Klopp is a complete pussy. Is he really the kind of guy who gets constantly rebuffed by the club and/or FSG on his transfer targets but just turns around and says "Kein problem". Now I'm no expert at body language or psychology but the kind of man I see jumping around at every goal and screaming at his players and referees if they F**k up doesn't really look like a pussy to me, but he clearly must be if FSG and Edwards/TC are constantly blocking his wishes.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #28: Aug 25, 2017 01:17:17 pm
      All I know is with the money we have to spend (supposedly), the manager we have, Champions League and our history as one of the all time clubs in Europe and England, there should be absolutely no reason we can't attract ANY player. The only reason we can't add players is if JĆ¼rgen won't budge on this supposed wishlist of 3 players or if FSG won't sanction the spending. Those really are the only two viable reasons the way I see it.

2 reasons, 2 reasons!! My God has some of what I've been saying all summer started to sink in, Hallelujah ;-)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #29: Aug 25, 2017 01:27:50 pm
      JĆ¼rgen Klopp offered his latest thoughts on the transfer window on Friday.

At his pre-match press conference, the Liverpool manager was asked about potential business by the club before the deadline next Thursday.

ā€œUntil August 31, thatā€™s how the business is ā€“ a lot of things are really possible, ins and outs. Thatā€™s how it is,ā€ he replied.

ā€œIā€™ve said it a few times, if the transfer window closed tomorrow, it is like it is and Iā€™m happy with it.

ā€œJust to say, in the Champions League game Divock Origi was not in the squad. He has nothing wrong, that just shows how big the quality already is. Thatā€™s just one example. Other players were also not in the squad.

ā€œThatā€™s the situation. We work on it, you can imagine. Thatā€™s all aside; I prepare [for] Arsenal. We are in talks. Will something happen? I donā€™t know.

ā€œObviously this transfer window is different to all other transfer windows.

ā€œAnd Iā€™ve also said it before, Andrew Robertson showed up against Crystal Palace. Before he showed up, I think everybody thought ā€˜Robertson from Hull?ā€™ and now think ā€˜Oh my God, heā€™s really strong!ā€™ Iā€™m completely fine and happy with him. Dominic Solanke showed everything you want to see from a new player in a really short time. Mo Salah, we donā€™t have to talk about this.

ā€œJames Milner plays in midfield again, thatā€™s like a transfer for us. Alberto Moreno plays left-back again in an outstanding [way]. If a few people would not still remember that a year ago he made a mistake, against Arsenal maybe, then everybody would say ā€˜What a performance!ā€™ I can do it easily. Obviously Iā€™m pretty much alone with this view. But thatā€™s no problem.

ā€œWe will see what happens. Iā€™m happy at the moment. Will I be happy on 31 still? Not sure. Will I be happier? Possible ā€“ we will see.ā€
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/273221-JĆ¼rgen-klopp-s-transfers-update

And there you have it.

Now all we have to do is wait for the inevitable twisting of Klopps words, and "reading between the lines" and all the other nonsense people post up to pursue an agenda or try to stir sh*t.

He literally said he is happy now and then said "will I be happy on the 31st? Not sure" so is he happy it not? Because if he's happy with the squad as it is and we don't add anyone, wouldn't he still be happy?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Aug 25, 2017 01:36:10 pm
      He literally said he is happy now and then said "will I be happy on the 31st? Not sure" so is he happy it not? Because if he's happy with the squad as it is and we don't add anyone, wouldn't he still be happy?

If a player leaves = less happy.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31: Aug 25, 2017 01:37:57 pm
      More from the Guardian;

JĆ¼rgen Klopp has said it will not be Liverpoolā€™s fault should they fail to add to the squad before next weekā€™s transfer deadline but that signings remain possible.

The Liverpool manager has been thwarted in his attempts to buy Virgil van Dijk and Naby KeĆÆta this summer by the refusal of their respective clubs, Southampton and RB Leipzig, to sell. Liverpool have adopted the same stance with Philippe Coutinho amid a persistent pursuit from Barcelona.

Klopp has not given up hope of a breakthrough on his main targets but, without a sudden and late U-turn by Southampton or Leipzig, he insists Liverpool could not have done more to complete the deals. ā€œAll the players we spoke to we convinced [to sign],ā€ the German said. ā€œItā€™s not about money. Itā€™s not about us. Sometimes it is just possible or not possible.ā€

Liverpool have signed Mohamed Salah for a club record fee, Dominic Solanke from Chelsea and Andy Robertson from Hull City, with the left-back making an impressive debut in the win over Crystal Palace last weekend. Klopp, while insisting further acquisitions are possible, claims he would be content to enter a campaign with additional Champions League commitments with his current squad.

He added: ā€œUntil 31 August, thatā€™s how the business is ā€“ a lot of things are really possible, ins and outs. Iā€™ve said it a few times, if the transfer window closed tomorrow, it is like it is and Iā€™m happy with it. In the Champions League game [against Hoffenheim on Wednesday] Divock Origi was not in the squad. He did nothing wrong, that just shows how big the quality already is. Thatā€™s just one example. Other players were also not in the squad.

ā€œAndrew Robertson showed up against Crystal Palace. Before he showed up, I think everybody thought: ā€˜Robertson from Hull?ā€™ And now think: ā€˜Oh my God, heā€™s really strong!ā€™ Iā€™m completely fine and happy with him. Dominic Solanke showed everything you want to see from a new player in a really short time. Mo Salah, we donā€™t have to talk about this. James Milner plays in midfield again ā€“ thatā€™s like a transfer for us. Alberto Moreno plays left-back again in an outstanding way. We will see what happens. Iā€™m happy at the moment. Will I be happier after the 31st? We will see.ā€
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/25/JĆ¼rgen-klopp-liverpool-signings-van-dijk-keita
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #32: Aug 25, 2017 01:42:11 pm
      If a player leaves = less happy.

Hopefully if Sakho leaves it will mean more happy. Although I'd be happy to see Sakho reintegrated at this point if we aren't going to sign a CB.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #33: Aug 25, 2017 01:43:31 pm
      All the players we talked to = VVD and Keita?

See there's the problem. There are other talents (even world class) in the world that we could have talked to....why haven't we?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #34: Aug 25, 2017 01:47:54 pm

See there's the problem. There are other talents (even world class) in the world that we could have talked to....why haven't we?

Ask Klopp.

If he's happy, I'm happy.
      It's that simple for me.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #35: Aug 25, 2017 01:56:46 pm

Could be things going on behind the scenes in the right direction, that's what I take from his last line.

He said it's possible he 'could be happier'. I'm sure that relates to people being signed and not sold.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #36: Aug 25, 2017 01:57:28 pm
      FSG are to blame 100%.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if there were protests against them or comments on their twitter feed as they deserve it.

Just look at the dumbing down of our own fans expectations on this topic alone.....they were not available, Klopp is happy, they spent Ā£35m on Salah ........I call bullshit as after 7 or 8 years of being also rans with negative net spends we finally get a manager who gets us into the CL and they sit on their arses and spout the usual excuses. If we have Ā£200m to spend and VVD and Keita are the wanted men then go and bid Ā£100m paid in full for each and see how their clubs react.

I cant believe others cannot see their end game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #37: Aug 25, 2017 02:04:34 pm

Operation Arse covering mate.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38: Aug 25, 2017 02:07:01 pm
      It's Christmas Eve, you have a wallet, or purse, full of cash. All the gifts you want are not available, but maybe available later in the new year, do you blow your cash on presents that you know aren't really wanted but will make the tree look nice or do you wait.

You should wait, and you know it.

If players are not available, or for sale, there is nothing FSG can do about it.

We told Barca to go away, other clubs are telling us to go away, we can't have it both ways.

FSG have offered money for players that we want, serious money, but the clubs are not willing to sell.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #39: Aug 25, 2017 02:08:59 pm
      It's Christmas Eve, you have a wallet, or purse, full of cash. All the gifts you want are not available, but maybe available later in the new year, do you blow your cash on presents that you know aren't really wanted but will make the tree look nice or do you wait.

I go ahead and buy something else that's maybe almost as nice and doesn't cost quite as much as my first choice because I want to have something to give my wife on Christmas...otherwise my marriage is over :D. Because there are other stores open to shop at, not just the one I happen to have already looked at.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #40: Aug 25, 2017 02:09:00 pm

Well I can't.  I have no idea what's going on but I'm not criticising anyone because I haven't got a scooby what's happening behind the scenes, good or bad.  I'd be surprised if nothing's happening.

I do think that JĆ¼rgen has very clear ideas about the type (not necessarily position) of player he wants, based on personality, skills, tactical awareness, coachability, etc.  Maybe there aren't that many who fit the specification well enough?  And I do believe he has the final say on who we go in for.  Can you imagine him accepting anything less than that final say?

I also think VVD was nailed on at the end of last season and JĆ¼rgen was 100% certain he had got his man, until whatever happened/didn't happen, happened/didn't happen! 

Maybe. 

It's all conjecture until 1st September, and it's all good fun speculating! 

Here's a young lad we should definitely be looking at (probably are, actually) and he fits the FSG 'moneyball' model that many of us think they use.  David Brooks at Sheffield Utd.  Now I await the abuse!!! 

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41: Aug 25, 2017 02:15:56 pm

That is the crux of the problem, i think if anything the club have probably been far too accommodating to JĆ¼rgen this summer and indulged him his targets and only his targets instead of insisting that he also looks at some other alternatives.
      Again I repeat my call for a proper DOF to be appointed and handle all transfers in the future to avoid F**k up's like this.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Aug 25, 2017 02:19:29 pm
      FSG are to blame 100%.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if there were protests against them or comments on their twitter feed as they deserve it.

Just look at the dumbing down of our own fans expectations on this topic alone.....they were not available, Klopp is happy, they spent Ā£35m on Salah ........I call bullshit as after 7 or 8 years of being also rans with negative net spends we finally get a manager who gets us into the CL and they sit on their arses and spout the usual excuses. If we have Ā£200m to spend and VVD and Keita are the wanted men then go and bid Ā£100m paid in full for each and see how their clubs react.

Ok so you must think that Klopp is scared of FSG or a stooge of FSG then, which is it? I have ot confess that he doesn't strike me as either of those 2 things but clearly you disagree or have FSG taken a family member hostage perhaps and through gritted teeth Klopp says that he is happy.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43: Aug 25, 2017 02:20:50 pm
      FSG are to blame 100%.

What "end game" is that then?

They build the club (and tbf it's probably taking longer than they would like), they make it sustainable, they sell it on for a profit, hence the new stand, and the 10 million quids worth of improvement over the summer.
      That's their "end game" and they've never been shy about it, so what exactly do we have to be shocked about?
      They take no money out of the club, we can spend what we make.
      We've broken our record transfer fee again this summer, and the squad is stronger.
      It's not happening as quickly as I'd like, but that's the way of football and transfers; some you win, some you lose.

Or is it about the amount they spend?
      Are people getting antsy because united, city and chelsea (much richer clubs) spend more?

Like I said before, if Klopps happy, that's all I can go by, and that's good enough for me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #44: Aug 25, 2017 02:21:13 pm

How is that arse covering? If he says he is happy then we must conclude that he is either happy, is lying or is a F***ing moron who doesn't realise the glaring weaknesses in his squad.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #45: Aug 25, 2017 02:23:05 pm

You should wait, and you know it.

If players are not available, or for sale, there is nothing FSG can do about it.

We told Barca to go away, other clubs are telling us to go away, we can't have it both ways.

FSG have offered money for players that we want, serious money, but the clubs are not willing to sell.

I've never heard Lovren and Klavan described as gifts before ;-). In seriousness there ARE better CB's out there who would strengthen the team, Hoewels would be a very very good example of that.

Quick Reply