Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Pre Match Liverpool vs Arsenal Sunday 27th August 16:00 Kick off

Read 8693 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 528 
      Re: Pre Match Liverpool vs Arsenal Sunday 27th August 16:00 Kick off
      Reply #46: Aug 27, 2017 11:12:58 am
      Karius in goal.

Let's hope his goal kicks don't go out for corners again.  :D

Last time I saw him in a competitive game between the sticks he gave me and my Valium the wobbles.

Ditto. Karius made me feel that Mignolet was Mr Dependable.

Funnily enough, I think he might have made Mig feel the same. He seemed a lot more confident when he came back in after Karius.
      Still, if Mig is not available for whatever reason, we've got to make the best of it. I'll be cheering him on from behind the couch.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #47: Aug 27, 2017 11:21:51 am
      Arsenal will control the ball and will put us on the back foot (right where we want to be). Their attack gives Mane and Salah the space they need to get goals

I see this as well, I just can't see us winning the midfield battle and we'll end up without the ball for the majority of the match, but as you mentioned, it could work in favour for us with Mane and Salah on the counter.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #48: Aug 27, 2017 11:27:23 am
      I have many doubts about Karius as you may know. He still needs to convince me why Klopp has bought him. I hope he has the best game of his career and going miles with his career with us.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #49: Aug 27, 2017 11:34:31 am
      From The Telegraph:

'Mignolet has been omitted from the squad, the Belgian told he has been rested following this week’s Champions League qualifier.'

Rested? What does a goalkeeper do in 90 minutes to warrant a rest? On that logic, the full XI gets rotated.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #50: Aug 27, 2017 11:38:01 am
      If Karius is true its similar to last season but in reverse! Not good

Think were ok today as they wont bombard the box with crosses
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #51: Aug 27, 2017 11:43:01 am
      If it is something personal, I totally agree with Klopp but Mignolet does not deserve to be dropped on form alone.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,427 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #52: Aug 27, 2017 11:49:01 am
      Very very odd
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #53: Aug 27, 2017 11:50:33 am
      From The Telegraph:

'Mignolet has been omitted from the squad, the Belgian told he has been rested following this week’s Champions League qualifier.'

Rested? What does a goalkeeper do in 90 minutes to warrant a rest? On that logic, the full XI gets rotated.

It's code for, mind your own business you nosy fuckers!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #54: Aug 27, 2017 12:09:58 pm
      Odd decision & one I hope does not cost us any points today, the CB's are shaky as it is and with Karius drafted in it could be alone nerving..
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #55: Aug 27, 2017 12:30:16 pm
      3-1 in favor of us, with nail biting last 5 minutes. I demand every single player to be inside our box defending a slender lead in the last 5 minutes or so. No two ways about it. 5 across our goal line, if that is permissible within the rules of the game.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,279 posts | 1396 
      Reply #56: Aug 27, 2017 12:35:44 pm
      I suppose yer could trace back our frailty on set pieces to the arrival of Mignolet. I mean who would you rather have coming out at yer on the crosses into the box, the nimble Mig or the thug like Reina.

Yes we had defensive problems before Mig but it just seams as if the fear factor is not there for the attackers coming into the box. No doubt Mig is a fantastic keeper in terms of shot stopping, breathtaking saves etc but it takes a bit more than that to be a top keeper.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #57: Aug 27, 2017 12:36:42 pm
      Everyone, including the Arsenal fans have got us down to win. I hate being in this position, just hope the players are pumped and ready for a proper test.

A front three of Sanchez, Ozil and Lacazette is up there with the best in Europe.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6383 
      Reply #58: Aug 27, 2017 12:48:37 pm
      Why is Mignolet being dropped. I mean he's not the best keeper in the league or anything, but he's not really been the reason for any recent capitulation on our part. So you just drop him and bring in Karius? So then what happens if Karius has a bad game....does the lad just get completely destroyed for it?
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #59: Aug 27, 2017 12:50:20 pm
      Karius will probably lose us the game, it's a disaster!!! He's not ready for PL (yet).

It's a very strange move to axe Mig. If there were personal reasons, don't u think the club would have told so to avoid speculations? Mig doesn't deserve such a treatment. Klopp did bullshit like that already in Dortmund by axing Weidenfeller. If we lose this game and there is not a pretty good explanation of the Mig's affair I will blame it all on Jürgen!!!

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Aug 27, 2017 12:54:29 pm
      Karius will probably lose us the game, it's a disaster!!! He's not ready for PL (yet).

It's a very strange move to axe Mig. If there were personal reasons, don't u think the club would have told so to avoid speculations? Mig doesn't deserve such a treatment. Klopp did bullshit like that already in Dortmund by axing Weidenfeller. If we lose this game and there is not a pretty good explanation of the Mig's affair I will blame it all on Jürgen!!!

We don't know whether Karius is ready for the PL yet because he's only made twleve appearences. How's he ever going to be ready if he doesn't make starts? Maybe he he's the best Keeper since De Gea, maybe he's Mignolet Mk2, but we'll never know unless he's given an extended run in the side. It's not like Mignolet has been in title winning form so far this season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #61: Aug 27, 2017 01:03:45 pm
      Damn, with Karius in goal, I will be even more nervous.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #62: Aug 27, 2017 01:04:04 pm
      Well some of the Migs haters (general transfer thread) are going to be happy, he's not even in the match day squad today. Not ill or injured apparently, begs the question why drop him now and completely out of the squad, seems very strange.

This made me laugh, cheers.

Timing of the change is the odd one on this, there's more to this one than meets the eye it would seem. With regards hate, I think it's a very strong word and was brought up not to use it unless appropriate so I wouldn't say I hate him, but I do believe he's cost us more points than any other player over the last few years and I'd always welcome him being dropped for someone better, it's time for Karius to prove that he is.

I'd go with:

Karius
          TAA  Matip  Klavan Moreno
                   Henderson
             Wijnaldum   Can
        Salah    Firmino  Mane

I must admit every time I write that midfield down I don't feel comfortable with it and our lack of choices (Lallana injury and Coutinho cuntishness accepted) is irritating.

Wot ! No Robertson Luke  ? 

Your probably bang on with the rest, didn't know Migs was out so just hope Karius is up for it, guess we'll find out, I went with Klavan rather than Lovren , but should be VVD in a ideal world,

I feel the same regarding our mids, just don't think Hendo & Can sharing the same pitch is our best option and Gini has been ropey of late, I know this is controversial but the sooner we have Coutinho back amongst it the better imo.....

.......INCOMING !!!!!!!!!!! 😣😣😣😣😣😣

YNWA
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #63: Aug 27, 2017 01:10:36 pm
      It's not like Mignolet has been in title winning form so far this season.

You don't axe a goalkeeper in the middle of the season, you just don't. It's a killer for his self confidence and if Karius sucks and he has to bring back Mig then "Gute Nacht". You do that at the very beginning of the season. Goalkeepers need confidence and confidence needs trust and trust needs the knowledge to be still No. 1 after mistakes.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #64: Aug 27, 2017 01:12:58 pm

Jesus wept,, optimism isn't your strongest quality it seems!

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #65: Aug 27, 2017 01:14:21 pm
      You don't axe a goalkeeper in the middle of the season, you just don't. It's a killer for his self confidence and if Karius sucks and he has to bring back Mig then "Gute Nacht". You do that at the very beginning of the season. Goalkeepers need confidence and confidence needs trust and trust needs the knowledge to be still No. 1 after mistakes.

Spot on mate. Rather have Migs than Jürgen any day........

:f_whistle:
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #66: Aug 27, 2017 01:16:07 pm
      Jesus wept,, optimism isn't your strongest quality it seems!

I am a German, pessimism is in our blood, mate. Therefore they called us "Piefke", "Fritz" and "Sauerkraut" in the wars^^.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #67: Aug 27, 2017 01:17:12 pm
      As much as I resect Wenger his defence is sh*te and I can see our front three destroying them..
      Saying that we've gotta watch it when defending set pieces today..get it wrong and they'll punish us..

Hold on to your seats folks, I can see lots of goals in this one...

4-2 :kop5cf8koxp6:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #68: Aug 27, 2017 01:21:03 pm
      Surprised that Mignolet is rumoured not to be in the squad, but let's face it - he's hardly one of our strongest players.  He has conceded 6 goals against fairly piss poor opposition in 3 of our 4 games.

And to be fair the two he conceded in our last game he should have done much better.  Can't remember the 4 other goals off the top of my head.

In any case last week everyone was saying Mane was being left out and he ended up winning us the game so let's wait till the team's out to be sure.

Quick Reply