Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Go back to go forward

Read 977 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,196 posts | 2794 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Go back to go forward
      Aug 27, 2017 11:30:41 am
      The carry on over recent weeks with players and transfers got me thinking about our current policy. Before i go on i am fully aware that its the policy of just about every club and that this summer isnt where the problem started.

I also put my hands up and say im aware what im about to say is pure fantasy but here it goes...

Years ago Liverpool was built on the following. English Scottish Welsh and Irish players with the odd European arriving. Now im talking 60s through to 80s not way back when we had south Africans. Then in the 90s the European influx grew then the African and South Americans arrived. All good so far. Then the academy srart signing players from all over the world. Few of these went on to be big players for the club. More local talent succeded then imports.

So the fairly poor return on foreign academy players making first team added to the foreign players desire to jump ship at the first smell of a barcelona fart has me thinking that we need to go back to our roots.

I can only imagine how many talented young players must live in the Liverpool area who probably dream of wearing that red shirt. Expand out to entire region of the UK. I know here in Dublin there is a lot of taleng in the youth ranks and furthermore a high percentage would be Liverpool mad and jump at the chance to play for the club. Why not go back to our roots. Sign youth from these islands and coach them to the required standsrd to be top players.

Stop filling the academy with players who might struggle to adapt in a foreign country or who see Liverpool as a stepping stone.

Its not an impossible dream. Hard work and some luck required. But am i alone thinking it would bring more reward long term?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Go back to go forward
      Reply #1: Aug 27, 2017 07:06:34 pm
      Most of our academy/u-23's are english mate.A few irish,scots and welsh thrown in to.There's only a handfull of foreign lads.Don't forget we have a transfer ban on youth players from English teams at the moment too.

Quick Reply