Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.7%)
      Emre Can
      48 (34.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (6.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      11 (8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      36 (26.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      19 (13.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      12 (8.7%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Voting closed: Aug 31, 2017 05:51:56 pm

Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27994 times
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Aug 28, 2017 08:49:50 am
      Boss that. Loved it. Was watching it on my phone while looking after the kids, and I had a smile on my face for 90 minutes. Haven't felt like that since our demolition of Spurs a few years back.

Karius 6/10
      Lackadaisical on the ball, a few hairy moments. However commanded the area better than Migs ever could.

Gomez 8/10
      I bloody love him, and I think he is wasted on RB. I have always seen him as a CAB. So calm and composed on the ball, strong. Reminds me of Rio Ferdinand at his pomp.

Lovren 7.5/10
      Didn't stand out, wasn't really a testing game for the CAB pairing, but he didn't put a foot wrong.

Matip 7.5/10
      See above. I think this season will see him bag a couple of headers though, reminds me of Sami when he is up for a corner.

Moreno 8/10
      Fair play to him, he has obviously put in the hard graft, and him and Mane have a great connection going forward. Few of his sliders where class today also.

Hendo 8/10
      Don't know why people are saying he was the weakest link in midfield, by far his best performance this season. At times in first half, he bullied thier midfield on his own.

Gini 9/10
      My Motm, purely for his energy. Mentioned in the comm that he just had a kid, so that was probably playing on his mind past few games, but he played exceptional today. A time in the second half with 5 of their players around him, and he dribbled out with strength and skill and started an attack. Loved it.

Can 9/10
      Nearly got my MOTM, he is capable of these games where he looks like the midfielder we all wanted and need. Keep up the consistency and we will have our Naby Keita already!

Firminho 9/10
      Quieter then the other two, but he is a dream to watch when on form. He is getting better each game also.

Salah 9/10
      Scored a perfect Klopp goal on the counter, always looked a threat, and I feel there is more to come from him too. He could of scored a shedload yesterday, and is a wonderful addition. £38 mill seems like a F***ing bargain!

Mane 9/10
      Black Suarez.

Bloody loved that!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #599: Aug 28, 2017 08:57:01 am
      Some recent stats:

7 league games unbeaten.
      6 clean sheets in those games.
      16 goals scored in those games, with a goal difference of +13.
      4 clean sheets in the past 4 home league games. First time since 2013.
      4 wins in a row in all competitions, despite Coutinho-gate and transfer window issues.

Every time we drop points, there is hysteria and armageddon here, but those results put the poorer results in the run against Watford and Southampton in their proper perspective. We were a peno conversion away from automatic European Cup qualification, and a blind lino away from a full house from the opening set of fixtures.

Yet we're still w/o by the media from challenging for honours because of one bad corner at Watford, and our defence who have kept 6 clean sheets in the past 7 games.

The third goal was my favourite in this game, Sadio chases down the pitch like Bolt in the 100m Final. Because of the shocking tv angle we have at home these days, I thought Daniel's goal was initially a header wide, hopefully it will change when UEFA show up for the Seville game, something needs to be done about this, because UEFA regulations cover these issues, and there's plenty of room in that stand to get a proper camera angle.

We got very little recognition of our performance in the media afterwards, who banged the same old drum of how poor the opposition were. That's the way they play and they're not going to change, which gave us the freedom of Liverpool to run rings round them, and we did. It was still an awesome display, and with 4 days less time to prepare for it. Imagine what we could have done with a week. Next up is City where a win would put us top of the league again. Maybe then, people might takes us more seriously.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #600: Aug 28, 2017 09:10:20 am
      Next up is City where a win would put us top of the league again. Maybe then, people might takes us more seriously.

Our problem has not been against the "bigger" teams. It is the "smaller" teams that we struggle against. Until we learn to grind out the results (like we did against Palace), we will not be taken seriously. And, I think that is fair because we flatter to deceive as we ride the wave against a City and drown in the sea against a Hull.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #601: Aug 28, 2017 09:15:39 am
      What a great performance!!

Just 2 observations...

1. Karius actually impressed me with the command of his area and the few crosses that he had to deal with, he punched away convincingly. The mistakes made also shows a certain amount of belief (or stubbornness), but due to our nervousness, we expected him to boot the ball up field everytime he received a back pass. I believe his kicking game and general aerial ability in the box are positives which can be worked on...so i definitely wouldnt write him off.

2. Moreno gets a fair amount of flack for his defending, but to me he is another player who actually works hard while on the field. he definitely needs to work on his defensive positioning play and not to dive into challenges too early, but he offers the team a great balance going forward and i think he definitely deserves praise for today's performance.

The whole team played very well although i also thought Arsenal were very poor. We could and should have been more clinical, but sometimes its good to save some goals for another day :)

Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #602: Aug 28, 2017 09:58:25 am
      Moreno is doing ok at the moment.  We were as good as Arse were bad. Clean sheets will help confidence. Bring on Citeh

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #603: Aug 28, 2017 10:05:56 am
      Would u put Karius in there next game @ManCity? IMHO he's not ready for hot stuff like that....

If we limit Man City to the same number of shots on target as Arsenal managed I could probably go in goal.

Whoever he picks for our next game, on reflection the boss had huge balls for making that change.  He must have been supremely confident it wouldn't backfire.

Let's face it - we didn't learn huge amounts about Karius' goalkeeping ability yesterday.

Yep agreed, that one he skied, you just knew if that was Stevie coming onto that ball, he either smashes into the back of the net or takes a slight touch to his right, then smashes the ball into the back of the net.

Maybe that's part of the problem for Henderson - he's always going to get compared to Gerrard.  Tough to live up to - still - a few shots actually forcing a save shouldn't be too much to ask every now and then. 
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #604: Aug 28, 2017 11:08:41 am
      Surprised Bobby only got 11 votes yesterday.

I thought he was different gravy.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #605: Aug 28, 2017 11:09:51 am
      Sorry for the ladies, nothing is intended

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #606: Aug 28, 2017 11:16:42 am
      Boss that. Loved it. Was watching it on my phone while looking after the kids, and I had a smile on my face for 90 minutes. Haven't felt like that since our demolition of Spurs a few years back.

Karius 6/10
      Lackadaisical on the ball, a few hairy moments. However commanded the area better than Migs ever could.

Gomez 8/10
      I bloody love him, and I think he is wasted on RB. I have always seen him as a CAB. So calm and composed on the ball, strong. Reminds me of Rio Ferdinand at his pomp.

Lovren 7.5/10
      Didn't stand out, wasn't really a testing game for the CAB pairing, but he didn't put a foot wrong.

Matip 7.5/10
      See above. I think this season will see him bag a couple of headers though, reminds me of Sami when he is up for a corner.

Moreno 8/10
      Fair play to him, he has obviously put in the hard graft, and him and Mane have a great connection going forward. Few of his sliders where class today also.

Hendo 8/10
      Don't know why people are saying he was the weakest link in midfield, by far his best performance this season. At times in first half, he bullied thier midfield on his own.

Gini 9/10
      My Motm, purely for his energy. Mentioned in the comm that he just had a kid, so that was probably playing on his mind past few games, but he played exceptional today. A time in the second half with 5 of their players around him, and he dribbled out with strength and skill and started an attack. Loved it.

Can 9/10
      Nearly got my MOTM, he is capable of these games where he looks like the midfielder we all wanted and need. Keep up the consistency and we will have our Naby Keita already!

Firminho 9/10
      Quieter then the other two, but he is a dream to watch when on form. He is getting better each game also.

Salah 9/10
      Scored a perfect Klopp goal on the counter, always looked a threat, and I feel there is more to come from him too. He could of scored a shedload yesterday, and is a wonderful addition. £38 mill seems like a f**king bargain!

Mane 9/10
      Black Suarez.

Bloody loved that!
      Says about Hendo, "Don't know why people are saying he was the weakest link in midfield" then gives him a lower score than Can and Gini  :lmao:

Just jokin mate, I know what you are getting at. I don't think it was a slight on Hendo, rather that the other 2 had blinders. As I had mentioned earlier on, he does seem to try that head down, first time pass far too often without much success. His closing down was superb today - won the ball very high up the pitch on several occasions and could have nicked a goal on one occasion.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #607: Aug 28, 2017 11:36:40 am
      Great result, we are playing some sublime attacking football at the moment. Arsenal were made to look very poor, and that is a credit to how well we played.

Hope we all come back fit and healthy, and can pick up where we left off.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #608: Aug 28, 2017 11:37:05 am
      Couldn't have asked for a better performance from the team..We took them to pieces all over the pitch..
      The skill and commitment in destroying what, on paper, looked a decent Arsenal side was a joy to watch.
      Carragher was right when he called those Arsenal players cowards..Pathetic..and to have over £130m on the bench is mind boggling.
      Wenger genuinely looked ill during that post match interview.. ;D

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #609: Aug 28, 2017 12:36:02 pm

No matter how a team sets up, when Liverpool are in the mood, they are nearly unstoppable going forward. Blessed with blistering pace, clever movement, and an unceasing willingness to graft, the Reds can run rampant at any moment.

Sadio Mané’s magnificence continues to prove that he is the cream of Liverpool’s collection of attacking talent. The Senegalese attacker now regularly earns comparisons to Luis Suarez, which are more than deserved. He has been so brilliant as a talisman that Philippe Coutinho news has been muted.

On the other side, Mo Salah adds a double dose of pace and potency that generates sheer terror in opposing sides. His threat, combined with Mané, gives the whole side an added dimension of danger and opens the entire pitch for teammates looking to drive forward. To think, he still can and will refine his finishing touch.

Then, there is Roberto Firmino, who may officially be the most underrated player in the Premier League. Since assuming the number nine role, the Brazilian has long been the side’s ultimate space making machine.
      Now, flanked by Mané and Salah, his options have multiplied exponentially. With his industrious capacity to move with and without the ball, this season may officially be his coming out party.

From MSN Sport today.

One of many .

Thing that really pissed me off is how many " pundits' have been banging on about how bad the Arse were.
      Same in the newspaper reports.

Not how good we were but how bad they were.

A Premier League team of 11 professional footballers.  Suddenly overnight they are an incompetent pub team.

Gary Rate Boy Neville was the worst. 
      Sitting after the match in the new ...but then empty ...media gallery in the new stand at Anfield all he could do was a televised rant on SKY about Arsenals failings.

Same of MOTD 2 last night. Even Danny Murphy and Keown went on about the Gooners failings.

FFS  !    We were brilliant. We were from a different planet in our play.

Only needed gob sh*te Shearer to go on about Arsenal not having a right good go and the whole evening of distorted reporting would have been complete.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #610: Aug 28, 2017 12:56:59 pm
      So all the media are suggesting Arse were very poor, but we won because we were average.
      If that's how they see it, that's their choice. Me, I hope we're average for the rest of the season 😊
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #611: Aug 28, 2017 01:00:26 pm
      A word on the press and their narrative about "how bad" Arsenal were.

They started positively and brightly.

It was our play that demoralised them.
      They didn't know what hit them and looked shell shocked as they realised they just couldn't compete with us.

Lazy journalism has tried to turn a confident side into a bad side, but the truth is, it was all down to how we played that destroyed their confidence.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #612: Aug 28, 2017 01:24:47 pm
      How F***ing good was that?

All the talk after the game has been about how poor Arsenal were but we made them look poor because we capitalised on their mistakes and blew them away. Coming away from the game, there was a feeling of "only" four because we could of easily had seven or eight. That's how dominant we were for a full 90 minutes.

No club in the world will restrict Arsenal as much as we did yesterday. Played them off the park and at their own game. It wasn't a game where we just sat back, soaked up pressure and hit them on the counter. We took the game right to them from the off and it paid off more than a bit. Right up there as one of the best performances from a Liverpool team.

After the Palace game I said;

Progression to the proper stages of the European Cup in midweek followed by beating one of our, so called, rivals for the title on Sunday and we'll be ending the opening month of the season in a rather good position.

and that's what has happened. Ending the opening month in a rather good position.

Karius - all the talk before the game was why would Klopp rest Mignolet, why bring Karius into this game, blah blah blah. It was all about our German keeper. Well he couldn't of had an easier game could he? No saves to make. No real threat from any cross and sat behind a defence who dealt with the Arsenal attacks quite easily. And yet, three times with the ball at his feet he was too slow to get rid of it and almost got caught out. He didn't convince me that he's ready to be our number one again.

Gomez - after the Palace game I said there was something about this lad that a lot of us like and he proved it again yesterday. Started a bit sluggish and got done a couple of times because of it but he grew into the game and looked a F***ing beast. And while I'd rather Trent playing at right back, Joey Gomez is not doing himself any harm whatsoever in his performances.

Matip - without doubt his best performance of the season. He did exactly what a centre half should do throughout the game. He was commanding in the air, including heading the ball from danger in the lead up to our third. He was composed. He was strong. Everything a centre half should be. The free kick back to Karius aside that is.

Lovren - like his central defensive partner, he did what a centre half should. None of the dilly dallying that we've become accustomed to. Not looking like a bag of nerves. Just a solid, dependable performance. The sort he now needs to string together. Also left one on Welbeck. If the ball gets past him, then the player doesn't. That's what I was brought up on so well done to Dejan on that front.

Moreno - he was what he is. Flashes of a really good full back, flashes of a player who wouldn't get a run out on Sevvy Park. But his performances this year have been a step up than the previous couple of seasons so he is improving. Maybe the exclusion from the side last year in favour of Milner and the signing of Robertson this summer has given him the kick up the arse he needed.

Henderson - he's got better with each game this season, his fitness is returning and his leadership is becoming more apparent. However, with the ball yesterday he was F***ing useless. Especially in the first half. Just giving the ball away on numerous ocassions. And his finishing was worse than that. Probably should of had a brace to his name but missed two very easy chances.

Wijnaldum - I don't know whether the birth of his son inspired him or what but that was a fantastic performance from the Dutchman yesterday. He covered every blade of grass, he kept the ball moving nicely, he got stuck in, he was just outstanding. And had it not been for a wonderful performance from the three ahead of him and especially the German next to him, Gini would be getting all the rave reviews. He played as well as anybody out there.

Can - I have been very critical of Emre Can on this forum. From his first pre-season to us where I thought he looked immense, he rapidly went down hill in my estimation. So much so that I wanted him flogged at the earliest opportunity. This season though, he has been the best of our midfielders. He is dominanting games in the way he was in that first pre-season with the club. And it looks like he's been told he's the one of the three who has to break ahead of the other two, often being more advanced than Henderson or Wijnaldum. I hope these performances aren't just so he can demand a few extra quid on his contract and once he signs, his form drops off again. I hope this is the level of performance we're going to get from him for years to come.

Salah - he's still frustrating me in his lack of clinical finishing. I know that sounds daft for a lad who already has three goals to his name in just five games but he should have six or seven to his name really. Missed a few real sitters. But other than his finishing, I can't find a fault in him. His movement and pace are a constant threat. I've said it before, his pace gives us the option of going over the top rather than passing it to death sideways and getting nowhere. His performances have also ensured that teams can't double up on Mane or Firmino, which gives them more space to destroy sides.

Mane - what can I say about this lad that hasn't already been said? There was a thread on here not so long ago about our worst ever Premiership number and if memory serves me right number 19 won. Given the likes of Mark Kennedy, Stewart Downing, Pegguy Arphexhad and Torben Piechnik have worn it. But Sadio Mane is re-writing that thread because his outstanding performances are overshadowing all sh*t performances by those former 19s. And if our current 19 carries on in this form, League Title number 19 can't be far away.

Firmino - another who I've been critical of for a long time but not yesterday. He lead the line the way a forward should. He was involved. A good headed goal, good link up play and a pain in the arse for the Arsenal defenders throughout, even when he shifted out wide when Sturridge came on. Even when he gave the ball away, he was right back in the face of the opposition to regain in.

Sturridge - showed why he still has a role to play for us. He might not be happy being an impact player but that's what he should be in all honesty because it's the best way to get best out of him at the moment. And what a poachers finish his header was. We all love the spectactular goals he's scored in the past but seeing your centre forward four or five yards out knocking the ball home is what I love seeing.

Milner - came on and gave us that little bit more stability in the middle to sure it up. Nothing fancy, nothing of note. Just what the doctor ordered really.

Grujic - same as Milner really.

Overall, F***ing made up. We tore Arsenal apart and made them look every bit as sh*t as they were. Ending the month unbeaten, playing the best football in the League, consecutive clean sheets and now a fortnight before "we go again" against City. Daylight already between us and Arsenal. After a iffy start against Watford, we've come on leaps and bounds and I think we can go into the international break feeling very happy with ourselves.

Excellent performance Reds.

Well done!!!!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #613: Aug 28, 2017 02:32:31 pm
      We were F***ing awesome yesterday, absolutely battered them from start to finish, unbelievable stuff.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #614: Aug 28, 2017 03:40:41 pm
      Check out Mane's run when Salah scored. He's very clever, instead of just bombing up the field to support Salah, he moves in front of the two Arsenal defenders to block off their runs. Brilliant. Clever.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #615: Aug 28, 2017 10:31:33 pm
      So all the media are suggesting Arse were very poor, but we won because we were average.
      If that's how they see it, that's their choice. Me, I hope we're average for the rest of the season 😊

I love the typical bias of SSN.
      Yesterday's result was bad ......... But not as bad as losing 8-2 to the Mancs.
      Bunch of W*n*e*s
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #616: Aug 29, 2017 01:05:39 am
      If we limit Man City to the same number of shots on target as Arsenal managed I could probably go in goal.

Whoever he picks for our next game, on reflection the boss had huge balls for making that change.  He must have been supremely confident it wouldn't backfire.

Let's face it - we didn't learn huge amounts about Karius' goalkeeping ability yesterday.

Maybe that's part of the problem for Henderson - he's always going to get compared to Gerrard.  Tough to live up to - still - a few shots actually forcing a save shouldn't be too much to ask every now and then. 

Exactly mate, got to hit the target at the very least.

No one will ever be Stevie. Jordan has massive boots to fill but he's Captain and it's time to start hitting the scoreboard.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #617: Aug 29, 2017 12:00:09 pm
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #618: Aug 29, 2017 01:17:42 pm
      Great performance pity the is a break Arsenal were bad but most of that was down to how we played
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #619: Aug 29, 2017 02:43:36 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #620: Aug 29, 2017 06:33:48 pm
      Great performance pity the is a break Arsenal were bad but most of that was down to how we played

They were bad because we made them bad, we completely battered them.

Quick Reply