Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thomas Lemar (Monaco)

Read 99075 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Thomas Lemar (Monaco)
      Reply #690: Sep 01, 2017 02:22:41 pm
      We don't need Lemar this season irrespective of how good he looks.

Next Summer when Cou is sold for mega bucks we will need him and we'll have the money to buy him no matter the price so FSG will have no excuses.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #691: Sep 01, 2017 02:35:11 pm

Next Summer when Cou is sold for mega bucks we will need him and we'll have the money to buy him no matter the price so FSG will have no excuses.

For me, the only voice that matters is Klopps.
      If Klopp wants him, go and get him, and that goes for any player.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #692: Sep 01, 2017 02:42:11 pm
      In what universe can Southampton get £140 million in TV revenues but only with VVD in their team?? They are a tiny insignificant team with delusions of grandeur, an absolute c**t of a club and I hope they get relegated sooner rather than later.
      It's £150m for every PL club. It's really sh*t because when Southampton play against Wigan etc... who watches? not many. When Liverpool v Man United etc... or Chelsea v Arsenal the whole world watches. Still the money is divided equally. The smaller clubs are piggy backing revenue from bigger clubs really, then they turn around and refuse to sell a player to the teams that put them in such a position. If the TV deal was based on ratings Southampton would have sold and the top 6 would be a lot richer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #693: Sep 01, 2017 02:45:28 pm
      It's £150m for every PL club. It's really sh*t because when Southampton play against Wigan etc... who watches? not many. When Liverpool v Man United etc... or Chelsea v Arsenal the whole world watches. Still the money is divided equally. The smaller clubs are piggy backing revenue from bigger clubs really, then they turn around and refuse to sell a player to the teams that put them in such a position. If the TV deal was based on ratings Southampton would have sold and the top 6 would be a lot richer.

Yes but why is that dependent on them keeping VVD, that's the part i don't understand Riba. It was absurd of them to keep hold of VVD and I really think it will unsettle them for the season to come.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #694: Sep 01, 2017 03:19:07 pm
      Yes but why is that dependent on them keeping VVD, that's the part i don't understand Riba. It was absurd of them to keep hold of VVD and I really think it will unsettle them for the season to come.

Completely agree, no idea what was driving their decision to force VVD to stay. They're never going to be a top 6 club and I also feel sorry for VVD.

On the transfer market in general, every decent player is costing double what they used to  cost 5 years ago. One silver lining I can see on the back of all the ridiculous transfer fees though is that it may force clubs to focus on their youth academies and invest more resource into those again. Great players aren't generally born, they're made, so no reason why we can't start producing class again at home turf.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #695: Sep 01, 2017 03:37:44 pm

Because they're probably sick of losing their best players every summer (mostly to us) and they don't need the money.  Not to mention he only just signed a 5 year contract.  It's the same situation as Coutinho and not hard to understand.

If he was looking to go to Chelsea I bet you'd be saying fair play to Southampton for sticking to their guns.

I'm sure VVD will knuckle down and get his move eventually.  I would say its a World Cup year but he does play for Netherlands.  ;)
      Kopite78
      Reply #696: Sep 01, 2017 04:08:45 pm

Not really sure it will unsetttle them. The players won't care, they'll be his mate for the most part and will understand his rational.
      He as a player will get his head down, he will have to.
      It may be rocky with the fans to him but I can't see that lasting as they will as a whole will be happy he's still there and they stuck up to us
      They will pick him, or why force him to stay? If they dont then his value decreases and it's competely counter productive.

By October he'll be in their side, it will be a marriage of convenience and he will still want out and will ultimately get out
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #697: Sep 01, 2017 04:31:15 pm

That is true but there are no guarantees that he'll come next year and probably other teams will be after him. I think, since knowing that Coutinho will be gone next year it'd have been a good idea to wrap him up this year, if indeed he is seen as his substitute.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #698: Sep 01, 2017 05:01:12 pm
      That is true but there are no guarantees that he'll come next year and probably other teams will be after him. I think, since knowing that Coutinho will be gone next year it'd have been a good idea to wrap him up this year, if indeed he is seen as his substitute.
      That is how I think too. We needed to wrap up Lemar now because we may not get a like for like replacement again. When we sold Torres we got Carrol.. when we sold Suarez and got Lambert.  We could have sold Coutinho and got Lemar, which is nowhere near as bad as previous replacements. he would have probably been with us for a long time and no Barca nonsense for atleast a few years. All we are going to hear all season is how depressed Coutinho is. He will still get picked for Brazil even if he is a sh*t to Liverpool this season, he will spend the entire season pissing off players and fans if he has to.

This has been reported,
      "Thomas Lemar was only interested in Liverpool move despite Arsenal's deadline day offer"

We can't for a second say they was nobody to replace Coutinho with, therefore we are no different than VVD and Southampton.

If Coutinho goes next year and Kieta is his replacement, FSG will pocket a lot of money. Will that be re invested? Probably some of it... But it will be a low netspend again.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 05:10:59 pm by Ribapuru »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #699: Sep 01, 2017 05:10:21 pm
      That is how I think too. We needed to wrap up Lemar now because we may not get a like for like replacement again. When we sold Torres we got Carrol.. when we sold Suarez and got Lambert.  We could have sold Coutinho and got Lemar, which is nowhere near as bad as previous replacements. he would have probably been with us for a long time and no Barca nonsense for atleast a few years. All we are going to hear all season is how depressed Coutinho is. He will still get picked for Brazil even if he is a sh*t to Liverpool this season, he will spend the entire season pissing off players and fans if he has to.

This has been reported,
      "Thomas Lemar was only interested in Liverpool move despite Arsenal's deadline day offer"

We can't for a second say they was nobody to replace Coutinho with, therefore we are no different than VVD and Southampton.

If we have a big season, and Lemar is already interested in joining us now, and he knows he will be the main man to replace Cou next Summer, I firmly believe we will be the frontrunners for his signature.

So let's not piss and moan about nice to have players we missed out on this window.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #700: Sep 01, 2017 05:13:03 pm
      If we have a big season, and Lemar is already interested in joining us now, and he knows he will be the main man to replace Cou next Summer, I firmly believe we will be the frontrunners for his signature.

So let's not piss and moan about nice to have players we missed out on this window.
      the thing is, other teams might have a big season. United, Chelsea, City, Barca, Madrid.... Wanted to come to Liverpool because the Alternative was Arsenal. Next season will be a bidding war.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #701: Sep 01, 2017 05:20:21 pm
      Is there a way Liverpool can do a deal with Monaco to sign him when the window opens again? Like the Keita deal? It's not classed as signing him if we only did a deal to sign him in the future... Is that allowed outside the window?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #702: Sep 01, 2017 05:28:58 pm
      the thing is, other teams might have a big season. United, Chelsea, City, Barca, Madrid.... Wanted to come to Liverpool because the Alternative was Arsenal. Next season will be a bidding war.

Well If we have a big season, offer big money to rival other clubs, and he still changes his mind on us, then so be it.

We're the first big club to make a big move for him. He won't forget that.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #703: Sep 01, 2017 05:30:31 pm
      Is there a way Liverpool can do a deal with Monaco to sign him when the window opens again? Like the Keita deal? It's not classed as signing him if we only did a deal to sign him in the future... Is that allowed outside the window?

Don't see why not, is the same with the ban some Spansih teams had, they were able to buy the players just that they had to wait for the ban to be over for them to be able to play so I'd think a team could buy a player and register it once the winter window opens or next year.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #704: Sep 01, 2017 05:37:21 pm
      Don't see why not, is the same with the ban some Spansih teams had, they were able to buy the players just that they had to wait for the ban to be over for them to be able to play so I'd think a team could buy a player and register it once the winter window opens or next year.
      No reason why we don't just settle a fee for him and Coutinho can still go if he wanted to next year, so Lemar in Coutinho out at the same time. If I were FSG I would offer Coutinho to Real Madrid for next year though. Do no business with Barca.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #705: Sep 01, 2017 05:45:01 pm
      Melissa says Lemar is keen on the transfer. Agents feeding stories again to our sources?

That did, in fact, come from a number of sources as to be accurate.

Think he could have been a very positive signing for us.

Daft as it may sound  ....  January might be good
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 06:05:48 pm by MIRO »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #706: Sep 01, 2017 06:20:51 pm

i copied this from a paper but forgot the url, think it was express.

Lemar only has eyes for Liverpool
      10:25: Liverpool could still pull off a deal for Thomas Lemar in the near future.

Lemar rejected the chance of a move to Arsenal yesterday and was hoping for a switch to Liverpool instead.

However, Liverpool failed to agree terms with Monaco at such short notice before the 11pm deadline and Lemar ended up staying with the Ligue 1 champions.

However, L’Equipe claim the Merseyside outfit could still strike a deal in the near future as he ‘only has eyes for Liverpool.’

Depending on how Liverpool’s campaign pans out, Jürgen Klopp could pursue the the 21-year-old again as early as January.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #707: Sep 01, 2017 06:30:55 pm

And both clubs should have a better idea as to the benefits of such a deal for this season. EDIT: both clubs' interest may be greater by then.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #708: Sep 01, 2017 06:36:33 pm
      i copied this from a paper but forgot the url, think it was express.

Lemar only has eyes for Liverpool
      10:25: Liverpool could still pull off a deal for Thomas Lemar in the near future.

Lemar rejected the chance of a move to Arsenal yesterday and was hoping for a switch to Liverpool instead.

However, Liverpool failed to agree terms with Monaco at such short notice before the 11pm deadline and Lemar ended up staying with the Ligue 1 champions.

However, L’Equipe claim the Merseyside outfit could still strike a deal in the near future as he ‘only has eyes for Liverpool.’

Depending on how Liverpool’s campaign pans out, Jürgen Klopp could pursue the the 21-year-old again as early as January.

What I don't understand is if Klopp really wanted him and had identified him as a player we needed, why did we leave it till the end of the window? Surely given our propensity to take more than a couple of days to complete a deal, the powers that be would give themselves more than 2 days basically to do a deal? Especially a deal requiring us to negotiate all of the hurdles involved with a player on international duty in another country?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #709: Sep 01, 2017 06:40:53 pm
      What I don't understand is if Klopp really wanted him and had identified him as a player we needed, why did we leave it till the end of the window? Surely given our propensity to take more than a couple of days to complete a deal, the powers that be would give themselves more than 2 days basically to do a deal? Especially a deal requiring us to negotiate all of the hurdles involved with a player on international duty in another country?

Maybe he was waiting to use the money on VVD but never got the green light from Saints so moved early for the Cou replacement instead.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #710: Sep 01, 2017 07:52:05 pm
      And you think the top 6 getting richer at the expense of the test, is good for football then Rip 😳
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #711: Sep 01, 2017 07:54:00 pm
      And you think the top 6 getting richer at the expense of the test, is good for football then Rip 😳

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #712: Nov 01, 2017 06:09:16 pm
      Lemar was looking vs. Besiktas for about 25 minutes and then had to leave with a shoulder or neck injury. I didn't see the challenge or whatever.

Has anyone ever stated authoritatively that we were in for him? Top player I think, but the talk about that one seems a little mystical in retrospect.

Quick Reply