Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [League Cup] Thu 1st Oct @ 7:45 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W15 D5 L9

Naby Keita Player Thread

Read 96398 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,205 posts | 1655 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1000: Jan 06, 2020 12:55:11 am
      Like shaq, seems very unlucky with Injuries, timimg of them esp. he was playing great and getting plenty game time. :-(

Still hoping to hear he is only out for a week or so, but silence has me concerned.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,797 posts | 4204 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1001: Jan 06, 2020 02:19:15 am
      Still hoping to hear he is only out for a week or so, but silence has me concerned.

Exactly, now we have James out as well. Fuckkks sake!!
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,876 posts | 582 
      Reply #1002: Jan 06, 2020 09:32:27 am
      I’ve realised the club never makes much noise about injuries. For example, who expected Ox back yesterday? Similarly not heard much about the other lads apart from Klopp saying recently that Fabinho was back running.
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 693 posts | 250 
      Reply #1003: Jan 06, 2020 12:04:20 pm
      Yeah looks like it's Hendo, Gini & either Lallana or Ox for the Spurs game.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,256 posts | 1772 
      Reply #1004: Jan 06, 2020 12:51:04 pm

Great to have so many good options though right? Those boys will do a job.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,894 posts | 553 
      Reply #1005: Jan 06, 2020 12:55:08 pm
      He's had groin problem seems a few times. Not too much of a worry just yet.  He's young and Gerrard had similar problems at around that age.   But it is a shame because he has had 3 good patches where he looks to be close to be delivering at the highest level especially this last little run. 

Had groin issues myself in the past its one of those injuries where you can feel fit again and then have it flair up as soon as you hit 2nd gear.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,797 posts | 4204 
      Reply #1006: Jan 07, 2020 10:34:47 pm

Curtis Jones with a stunner again?
      Munch101
      • Forum Ian St John

• 427 posts | 58 
      Reply #1007: Feb 24, 2020 03:04:51 pm
      Really hoping with Hendo's injury Naby can get a run in and get some form.
      Would love him to get back to his best and be the player he was at Leibzig and then some!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4330 
      Reply #1008: Feb 24, 2020 10:26:48 pm
      he seems to be out of sync with our rhythm not sure why but we just are not seeing the best of him and when OX came on we looked so more aggressive going forward
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,557 posts | 1538 
      Reply #1009: Feb 24, 2020 10:45:11 pm
      An off night for Naby he's produced much better performances this season.

But he still doesn't look right in the side he seems to play to his own individual strengths rather than to the teams so his rhythm always seems slightly out of sync. He needs to find a balance between his own obvious abilities and the tempo of the team so his surging runs from deep and one twos come off more often than not. As it stands he is still too hit and miss for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1010: Feb 24, 2020 11:06:39 pm
      Wasn't his best of games and we only really started to up it once he went off which admittedly doesn't look great for him, but I think it's being overlooked how big of a part he played in the opening goal. That drive to get forward and a couple of quick one-two's with Mo and Bobby before Bobby saw his blocked shot fall to Trent for the decisive cross. There just wasn't enough of that kind of play from him afterwards.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,128 posts | 2488 
      Reply #1011: Feb 24, 2020 11:32:49 pm
      I think he'll be off in the summer, we need an upgrade, he's either injured or inconsistent with the rare good game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,205 posts | 1655 
      Reply #1012: Feb 25, 2020 01:14:17 am
      Wasn't his best of games and we only really started to up it once he went off which admittedly doesn't look great for him, but I think it's being overlooked how big of a part he played in the opening goal. That drive to get forward and a couple of quick one-two's with Mo and Bobby before Bobby saw his blocked shot fall to Trent for the decisive cross. There just wasn't enough of that kind of play from him afterwards.

He took a knock in the first half, stayed down for a few moments but got up, but I felt he kind of disappeared after that.

That said, he is going to need to find some consistency at some point.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,128 posts | 2488 
      Reply #1013: Feb 25, 2020 09:50:07 am
      He took a knock in the first half, stayed down for a few moments but got up, but I felt he kind of disappeared after that.

That said, he is going to need to find some consistency at some point.

Did that happen in the first few seconds of the match? ;-)
      TameImpala
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,556 posts | 807 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1014: Feb 25, 2020 10:02:41 am
      With Keita, he was initially signed in the summer of 2017 and at that point we'd only just bought Robertson and Salah, and Trent hadn't fully broken into the first team.

I think back then, even probably the most optimistic figures at the club hadn't envisaged this team morphing into what it has - with the front 3 and the wing backs up and down the line. At that point Coutinho was still on our books too so we played a completely different system. it was six months later, after the sale of Coutinho that the team first started to take shape into what we see now.

Keita is a classic box to box midfielder who plays best when he's given a "free" role, I'm starting to think that with the way we now play, and the discipline needed to hold down a place in the midfield 3, that he hasn't had the chance to make that position his own as it basically no longer exists in our system
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,091 posts | 3156 
      Reply #1015: Feb 26, 2020 11:32:53 am
      Get that he wasn’t at his best the other night and given that he has had a stop start initiation to his career.

Despite all that he leads the way in our team for any player in the number 8 position, just need to look at what he does with the ball and how successful he is and that’s without his defensive contribution.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,128 posts | 2488 
      Reply #1016: Feb 26, 2020 02:49:32 pm
      Get that he wasn’t at his best the other night and given that he has had a stop start initiation to his career.

Despite all that he leads the way in our team for any player in the number 8 position, just need to look at what he does with the ball and how successful he is and that’s without his defensive contribution.

does he, Id say the Ox is better at number 8
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,091 posts | 3156 
      Reply #1017: Feb 26, 2020 03:24:10 pm
      does he, Id say the Ox is better at number 8

Yes...........he makes more key passes, forward passes and more successful passes per game than Ox plus he also makes more tackles per game.

Of course Ox scores more but he is more attacking minded than Naby.
      Ryreb
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | 18 
      Reply #1018: Feb 26, 2020 04:20:15 pm
      It’s a small sample size but I based on what I’ve seen during their time at Liverpool,  I’d take Naby at his best over Ox. The problem is Naby has been far more inconsistent. The question is, how much of that is his injury issues or just that he’s just not consistent. 

Klopp  has preferred Fab,  Gini, Milly, and Hendo because he knows what he’s going to get match to match.  Their bad matches are fewer than Ox or Naby good matches. Can even add Lallana...: really good when on his game but when he isn’t he’s invisible.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,205 posts | 1655 
      Reply #1019: Feb 26, 2020 09:04:21 pm
      Yes...........he makes more key passes, forward passes and more successful passes per game than Ox plus he also makes more tackles per game.

Of course Ox scores more but he is more attacking minded than Naby.

Apparently it was his off-the-ball performance that Klopp was unhappy with the other night.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4330 
      Reply #1020: Feb 26, 2020 09:07:07 pm
      Apparently it was his off-the-ball performance that Klopp was unhappy with the other night.

modern football dictates off the ball work is almost as important as what they do with it. Jamie Carragher mentioned his stats being good but watching him leaves him confused as his performances don't stack up against his stats.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,205 posts | 1655 
      Reply #1021: Feb 26, 2020 09:11:28 pm
      modern football dictates off the ball work is almost as important as what they do with it. Jamie Carragher mentioned his stats being good but watching him leaves him confused as his performances don't stack up against his stats.

Agreed.

The only thing I wonder is if he just needs 4 or 5 starts on the run to really find his form. Problem with that is, as some others have noted earlier in the thread, there's others in the squad who will be getting picked instead of him before he would get that much time in the starting XI. I don't mean to be slagging him by any means - I think he has shown he can be truly instrumental to the team doing well, but for all the reasons stated above and the simple fact that a manager can only pick 11 players to start, he still struggles to be what we are hoping he will be (and what is demanded by his price tag).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,797 posts | 4204 
      Reply #1022: Feb 29, 2020 11:07:40 pm
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,108 posts | 349 
      Reply #1023: Mar 01, 2020 08:53:34 am
      Wondering if it's time to start looking to count our losses and bring in someone who we can rely on for more than 3 games. Good player. Bad body?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,584 posts | 391 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1024: Mar 01, 2020 01:01:38 pm
      Really hope he finds his fitness soon, willing to give him another season at least.

It kills me because he always shows a glimpse of what could be when gets back into the side but then gets injured and then reality hits again.

Come on Naby you can do it!

Quick Reply