Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 240167 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1357: Sep 22, 2021 03:40:08 pm
      Was wondering why he came off at HT against Norwich.
      Didn't look injured.
      Presumed it was to protect him for the weekend.

But only a while ago saw the comments from Jürgen that he 'kicked the grass'.
      Sounds like frustration from Jürgen, just imho.
      Fair enough, it wasn't a game changer last nite - but at the same time, it doesn't 'sound like' Jürgen thought it was serious, serious enough to have to come off.
      And from some of Jurgens comments over the last year or so, get the impression he is frustrated with Keita and his 'fitness issues'.

Was a nice goal at the weekend, but we were already 2 up. Elliot is injured and Thiago has had injury problems. We could do with Naby giving us some proper return on the investment, over the course of the season, not the odd game here or there.
      Coming off after 'kicking the grass' isn't the way to go about that.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, and he's done OK so far when selected this season, but just reckon there is frustration in Jurgens comments there, and we could do with Naby contributing this year almost more than any before with Gini and Shaq gone and no replacements.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #1358: Sep 22, 2021 04:31:49 pm
      Was wondering why he came off at HT against Norwich.
      Didn't look injured.
      Presumed it was to protect him for the weekend.

But only a while ago saw the comments from Jürgen that he 'kicked the grass'.
      Sounds like frustration from Jürgen, just imho.
      Fair enough, it wasn't a game changer last nite - but at the same time, it doesn't 'sound like' Jürgen thought it was serious, serious enough to have to come off.
      And from some of Jurgens comments over the last year or so, get the impression he is frustrated with Keita and his 'fitness issues'.

Was a nice goal at the weekend, but we were already 2 up. Elliot is injured and Thiago has had injury problems. We could do with Naby giving us some proper return on the investment, over the course of the season, not the odd game here or there.
      Coming off after 'kicking the grass' isn't the way to go about that.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, and he's done OK so far when selected this season, but just reckon there is frustration in Jurgens comments there, and we could do with Naby contributing this year almost more than any before with Gini and Shaq gone and no replacements.

No he caught his foot in the pitch, you could see him limping slightly after he did it.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #1359: Sep 24, 2021 05:50:56 am
      Ffs, he's out Saturday. I wonder how much of his injuries are his body and how much of it is in his head. Starting to wonder if he just can't play hurt, rather than he's actually injured. 🤔

Get well soon, mate
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1360: Sep 25, 2021 12:37:13 am
      No he caught his foot in the pitch, you could see him limping slightly after he did it.

A new way for Naby to get sidelined!!

FFS, so much potential but constantly stop starting his LFC career.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #1361: Sep 25, 2021 03:14:35 am
      Frustrating but its alright. I'm excited to see Curtis in there and from what I gather from what Klopp said after the Norwich game its probably only a game or two that Naby will miss (not ideal but also not weeks)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1362: Sep 25, 2021 10:32:02 am
      Frustrating but its alright. I'm excited to see Curtis in there and from what I gather from what Klopp said after the Norwich game its probably only a game or two that Naby will miss (not ideal but also not weeks)

Could also be for his own protection rather than what the injury is doing to him.
      Ryreb
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 119 posts | 24 
      Reply #1363: Sep 25, 2021 04:59:18 pm
      I wanted it to work out for. Naby but I’ve given up.   I really wanted him to have a good spell and show his quality so we could either trust him for the future  or recoup some funds that we can add to the Bellingham jar.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #1364: Sep 27, 2021 01:10:19 pm
      Naby back in training reading some comments sounded like he would miss most games the drama that unfolded
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1365: Sep 27, 2021 01:44:47 pm
      Naby back in training reading some comments sounded like he would miss most games the drama that unfolded

Good news for sure. Unlikely he starts at Porto but should see some minutes as a sub and be ready for City. Assuming he doesn’t kick the grass again.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #1366: Oct 03, 2021 11:45:47 pm
      Lot of clamour for Naby in the match thread today so think it's worth a bit of a debate.

The fact we didn't use the 3rd sub for him is pretty damning in my opinion. Don't think the boss has trust in Naby for the big, intense games anymore which is evident by the fact he didn't get off the bench today or against Chelsea - two games where a change might have suited us.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #1367: Oct 04, 2021 12:43:10 am
      Lot of clamour for Naby in the match thread today so think it's worth a bit of a debate.

The fact we didn't use the 3rd sub for him is pretty damning in my opinion. Don't think the boss has trust in Naby for the big, intense games anymore which is evident by the fact he didn't get off the bench today or against Chelsea - two games where a change might have suited us.

Same goes for the Ox. Our midfield options aren't as deep as people thought. To think somw were saying this guy can step up and replace Gini.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,110 posts | 83 
      Reply #1368: Oct 04, 2021 12:55:10 am

I think it has more to do that Klopp knows Naby Fragileita and wants to avoid risks. No way I would give Keita a new contract.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1369: Oct 04, 2021 01:49:38 am

Not really, no.

Klopp largely uses the 3rd sub late in the game often times when it's already decided, at least this season.

This season he's used 3 subs in 5 of the 7 league games:

Norwich: 86th minute
      Burnley: 92nd
      Chelsea: 86th
      Leeds: 93rd
      Palace: 88th

Chelsea is the only one where the game was in the balance and he already had to sub in for Bobby early in the game when he got hurt.

This does not include last season, but you can see the avg time of the 3rd sub is late in the game

https://anfieldindex.com/44389/Jürgen-klopps-substitution-pattern.html

So no, i'm not reading into Klopp not bringing in Keita as the 3rd sub today as an indication of anything.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1370: Oct 04, 2021 04:21:56 am

Yep, spot on. We were crying for a midfield sub, says a ton that Naby couldn’t get any minutes.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1371: Oct 04, 2021 08:48:54 pm

You can argue the whys and wherefores, but the fact is Jürgen didn't bring him on in either game, particularly against Citeh when the midfield lads were obviously tired, says it all really.

And this isn't news either, we knew this coming into this season.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #1372: Oct 05, 2021 03:21:29 am
      You can argue the whys and wherefores, but the fact is Jürgen didn't bring him on in either game, particularly against Citeh when the midfield lads were obviously tired, says it all really.

And this isn't news either, we knew this coming into this season.

But people acted blindly to it. Were talking up him finally having a good season and coming of age now Gini has gone. When the decision was questioned people were jumped on for "not having faith" and thinking we "know more than Klopp".

This guy got injured kicking grass. There's nothing more this guy can do to get injured. Jones played terrible yet Naby couldn't be trusted to replace him for 30 mins. That's what the boss thinks of him.

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2021 12:20:39 pm by Salah10 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1373: Oct 05, 2021 08:22:51 am
      Fuk me, some folk have too much time on their hands to over think things.

I just enjoyed the game, why klopp never used a 3rd sub never even entered my mind.

ps. If city hadn't got lucky with a deflection, we would would have won, and nobody could have questioned anything. ;D
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1374: Oct 05, 2021 01:31:05 pm
      Fuk me, some folk have too much time on their hands to over think things.

I just enjoyed the game, why klopp never used a 3rd sub never even entered my mind.

ps. If city hadn't got lucky with a deflection, we would would have won, and nobody could have questioned anything. ;D

They like to grasp at straws that they think confirms their bias.

If Klopp had used that 3rd sub in, say, the 70th minute and brought in someone like Taki to play the 8 role instead of Keita, that may merit reading something into it, but it's well known Klopp mainly uses the 3rd very late in the game or not at all.

Here's another anecdote for the fun of it, the 3 games in which we have dropped points (Chelsea, City, Brentford) are the 3 games where Keita was not involved.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1375: Oct 05, 2021 01:37:41 pm
      They like to grasp at straws that they think confirms their bias.

If Klopp had used that 3rd sub in, say, the 70th minute and brought in someone like Taki to play the 8 role instead of Keita, that may merit reading something into it, but it's well known Klopp mainly uses the 3rd very late in the game or not at all.

Here's another anecdote for the fun of it, the 3 games in which we have dropped points (Chelsea, City, Brentford) are the 3 games where Keita was not involved.

I C. ;D

Its certainly a wee shame for Naby as he was playing well before his small injury. Im sure he will get back to that form after the International break.

IMO we have simply dropped points playing v good teams. And our players like big Virg are still finding there way back to 100% after long term Injuries.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1376: Oct 05, 2021 01:52:36 pm

Neither was Harvey Elliott.
      rossyred

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #1377: Oct 05, 2021 01:54:32 pm
      But people acted blindly to it. Were talking up him finally having a good season and coming of age now Gini has gone. When the decision was questioned people were jumped on for "not having faith" and thinking we "know more than Klopp".

This guy got injured kicking grass. There's nothing more this guy can do to get injured. Jones played terrible yet Naby couldn't be trusted to replace him for 30 mins. That's what the boss thinks of him.

He really didn't kick grass though did he please don't use Klopps poor English to suit the agenda

rossyred

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #1378: Oct 05, 2021 01:57:13 pm

Think you need to check your stats before you post
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #1379: Oct 05, 2021 03:08:30 pm
      He really didn't kick grass though did he please don't use Klopps poor English to suit the agenda

He could have kicked a brick for all I care. He played a game and got injured AGAIN

Quick Reply