Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Champions League] Sat 1st Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Estadio Metropolitano, Madrid

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Naby Keita Player Thread

Read 39425 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,448 posts | 3518 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #700: Feb 13, 2019 03:29:02 pm
      fortunately we have a manager that keeps pressure off new players and both Naby and Fab are going to be super fresh for the last 10 games of this season exactly when we will need them.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,547 posts | 1211 
      Reply #701: Feb 13, 2019 09:15:34 pm
      Naby is like Mo: basically zero physicality. He needs to improve there as well as in his overall performance. Too many praised him after our last game and indeed he does look better but still no endproduct (which you'd expect for 60 Mio. €).

He had a part in two of the goals. For the first it was a nice first touch to bring the ball down before passing to Milner for the cross.

For the 3rd he split the defence with a lovely through ball to Firmino.

End product doesn’t always have to mean the goal or assist.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,215 posts | 256 
      Reply #702: Feb 14, 2019 12:16:10 am
      He had a part in two of the goals. For the first it was a nice first touch to bring the ball down before passing to Milner for the cross.

For the 3rd he split the defence with a lovely through ball to Firmino.

End product doesn’t always have to mean the goal or assist.

Keita is also the player who created the turnover for Gini's goal. If he had put away that chance in the 2nd half for a goal it probably would have been a 10/10 performance against Bournemouth.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,998 posts | 324 
      Reply #703: Feb 14, 2019 07:33:17 am
      Naby is like Mo: basically zero physicality. He needs to improve there as well as in his overall performance. Too many praised him after our last game and indeed he does look better but still no endproduct (which you'd expect for 60 Mio. €).

Saying Salah has no physicality doesn't exactly lend your opinion a lot of weight (pun very much intended)

As for Naby he's taken time to adapt, which is normal, but I reckon this thread is going to look very different in a month or two as we really start to see the player we all thought we were getting.

And end product? He was involved in all three goals as has been pointed out. In fact they were perfect examples of what he could bring - counter pressing for Gini's goal, and a quick and direct through ball for Bobby to set up Salah.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #704: Feb 14, 2019 06:30:14 pm
      Saying Salah has no physicality doesn't exactly lend your opinion a lot of weight (pun very much intended)

But it's true anyway. Salah has may be 10 tackles since he arrived in Liverpool. He plays bodyless. He doesn't even hurry players like Bobby. Just compare both if you don't believe me.

And end product? He was involved in all three goals as has been pointed out. In fact they were perfect examples of what he could bring - counter pressing for Gini's goal, and a quick and direct through ball for Bobby to set up Salah.

Naby looked better but still made mistakes, looked hesistant, no tackles, looking lost at times. This was just another step in the right direction. But again: For 60 Mio. € you just expect more and quicker. I hope Keita will develop into an endproduct within the next 2 weeks, given game experiences and some good moments. Could happen, should happen, hopefully happens.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,947 posts | 1966 
      Reply #705: Feb 14, 2019 06:34:28 pm
      But it's true anyway. Salah has may be 10 tackles since he arrived in Liverpool. He plays bodyless. He doesn't even hurry players like Bobby. Just compare both if you don't believe me.

I'd love to but I have no f**king idea what you're on about 🤷‍♂️
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,744 posts | 2337 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #706: Feb 14, 2019 07:42:48 pm
      Naby looked better but still made mistakes, looked hesistant, no tackles, looking lost at times. This was just another step in the right direction. But again: For 60 Mio. € you just expect more and quicker. I hope Keita will develop into an endproduct within the next 2 weeks, given game experiences and some good moments. Could happen, should happen, hopefully happens.

Haha. He made 7 tackles against Bournemouth, the most of any player on the pitch. But hey please don't let facts get in the way of whatever you're trying to say
      LondonRed83
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,266 posts | 1233 
      Reply #707: Feb 15, 2019 01:32:08 pm
      Haha. He made 7 tackles against Bournemouth, the most of any player on the pitch. But hey please don't let facts get in the way of whatever you're trying to say

Old panzer must be watching a different team
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #708: Feb 15, 2019 01:39:29 pm
      Old panzer must be watching a different team

There's a lot of it about.

Someone posted before a game that Henderson shouldn't play at right back "because he lacks athleticism".
      It took me a while to stop laughing, so at least it had comedy value.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #709: Feb 15, 2019 04:39:48 pm
      He made 7 tackles against Bournemouth,

Doesn't add up to what I saw. Maybe they count as tackle what I count as mere contact? Of course if you tell me that Mo does alright aggressiveness/tackle-wise then I can understand why Keita does alright too, he's certainly not worse than Salah. Still I feel Keita has a lot more to offer, I feel he's still progressing.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,744 posts | 2337 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #710: Feb 15, 2019 05:02:01 pm
      Doesn't add up to what I saw. Maybe they count as tackle what I count as mere contact? Of course if you tell me that Mo does alright aggressiveness/tackle-wise then I can understand why Keita does alright too, he's certainly not worse than Salah. Still I feel Keita has a lot more to offer, I feel he's still progressing.

to what you think you saw
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #711: Feb 15, 2019 05:55:22 pm

I'd try watching it again if I was you.

Then again, Salah isn't frail either, so I have no idea what you've been looking at.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,413 posts | 2441 
      Reply #712: Feb 15, 2019 06:03:11 pm
      I have no idea what you've been looking at.

That’s alright mate.

Neither does he.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #713: Feb 15, 2019 06:17:46 pm
      That’s alright mate.

Neither does he.

Trying to be diplomatic doesn't really suit me  :laugh:
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #714: Feb 20, 2019 07:01:20 pm
      Any analysis of how Keita did? Was the Bayern game a step forward, backward or standing still?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,486 posts | 2997 
      Reply #715: Feb 20, 2019 07:41:16 pm
      Any analysis of how Keita did? Was the Bayern game a step forward, backward or standing still?

Thought he was good especially in the first half and still our only midfielder until Ox is back who can pick up a ball in midfield and drive through a marshalled defence.

Defensively he was also much more in tune with his positioning and tracking back but like the rest of the team seemed to tire as the game went on.

His final ball was still not quite what it should be but as he gets used to playing more often with the front three it will become more natural as he will know exactly where and when the likes of Mane are making a move.

I think posters are still confusing him for an attacking midfielder he has never played that role.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,279 posts | 290 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #716: Feb 23, 2019 12:13:05 am
      Would love to see Keita play week in week out until he plays himself out of form.

I have a feeling with Ox getting back into the mix and Keita's form starting to come,  I think we will start to see the best out of Keita.

I think it's either Keita or Ox in a midfield 3 but if they were both in a midfield at the same time on form, well that's an exciting thought.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,801 posts | 2253 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #717: Feb 23, 2019 08:54:16 am
      Slowly improving, for me it was almost make or break after the first half against West Ham when it was utterly atrocious. Still a huge let down after all the hype, although signs are showing that he'll turn into a good player and hopefully when he develops into that he can show glimpses of the great player we thought we were signing.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #718: Feb 23, 2019 12:08:43 pm
      Slowly improving, for me it was almost make or break after the first half against West Ham when it was utterly atrocious. Still a huge let down after all the hype, although signs are showing that he'll turn into a good player and hopefully when he develops into that he can show glimpses of the great player we thought we were signing.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree.

Let me just say that years of experience have taught me to not expect much in a players first season.
      If they perform, great, if not, no worries.
      Next season however, I'll expect him to step it up and show why we paid so much for him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,801 posts | 2253 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #719: Feb 23, 2019 12:17:30 pm

Let me just say that years of experience have taught me to not expect much in a players first season.
      Next season however, I'll expect him to step it up and show why we paid so much for him.

I never expect too much but I expected Naby to be sort of where he has been the last 2 games right from the start, I never expected a sub standard couple of months at all. Think that’s all past us now and he can kick on!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #720: Feb 23, 2019 12:26:33 pm
      I never expect too much but I expected Naby to be sort of where he has been the last 2 games right from the start, I never expected a sub standard couple of months at all. Think that’s all past us now and he can kick on!

Fair enough :)

I read an article by Tomkins a while back, where he and his stats guru's quantified success of players in their first season.
      They went really in depth, and used comparison with established players as well as the usual stats, and a load of other stuff I don't remember.
      Anyway, the bottom line was that only 25% of big money buys, have a big impact in their first season.
      The other 75% are either mediocre, or just plain bad, at least by the measures used.

It was an interesting read, if nothing else, and served to reinforce my own belief that I shouldn't expect too much in a players first season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,413 posts | 2441 
      Reply #721: Feb 23, 2019 01:03:53 pm

Must admit I’m with Mags on this one.

There are loads of reasons (not least niggling injuries / lack of rhythm) but I think if I were to say he hasn’t been a disappointment (to date) it wouldn’t be honest.

I didn’t necessarily expect him to be at full tilt in season one but I did expect a lot more than we’ve seen to date.

He will come good - I’m sure - but I wanted / expected a bit more thus far.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,744 posts | 2337 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #722: Feb 23, 2019 01:15:51 pm
      I do think those early injuries at the start of the season have really slowed down his adaptation to the club. I'd say he has disappointed but only because I truly expect a lot from him. No rush though, he's a young player on a long term contract. Still think he's brilliant and has a lot of talent. Expectations still high.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,413 posts | 2441 
      Reply #723: Feb 23, 2019 01:22:25 pm
      I do think those early injuries at the start of the season have really slowed down his adaptation to the club. I'd say he has disappointed but only because I truly expect a lot from him. No rush though, he's a young player on a long term contract. Still think he's brilliant and has a lot of talent. Expectations still high.

Spot on for me Diego
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,486 posts | 2997 
      Reply #724: Feb 24, 2019 05:06:02 pm
      Very surprised not to see him on at some point in that second half.

There again Klopp does make strange decisions at times.

Quick Reply