Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235162 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #368: Aug 12, 2018 03:32:45 pm
      Baller.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #369: Aug 12, 2018 04:05:36 pm
      Kwality
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #370: Aug 12, 2018 06:26:44 pm
      Best candidate for the 8 jersey..

Going to do his predecessor & us f**king proud this lad..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #371: Aug 12, 2018 06:39:58 pm
      really pleased for him today looked so at home in the number 8 at Anfield
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #372: Aug 12, 2018 10:03:30 pm
      It’s early days yet. Very early days in fact. But f**k it..

Nabyy Keitaaa, he played for a German side, and then he came to Libpool and he f**king blew our mind,

Nabyy Keitaaa, his passing is divine, and now with him and Virgil, we’ve got ourselves a spine,

Nabyy Keitaaa, he plays for JĂŒrgen’s side, it took us f**king ages but aren’t we glad he signed,

Naby Keitaaa, he’ll help us on our way, back to winning teophies like we always did in May.

To the tune of Star Man by David Bowie.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2018 02:48:01 pm by Baconbutty »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #373: Aug 13, 2018 09:57:51 am
      I watched him in pre-season games and he was the standout player every time, not surprised by yesterday's performance at all. We've thoroughly missed and authoritative and versatile midfield since Stevie hung up the boots. Genuinely excited by how strong the spine of our team is now.

I'm going to be a little cautious and wait until we play against tougher opposition. Can he keep the same composure and threat against the likes of De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Willian, Kante, Hazard etc.? I've seen enough class and power to suggest he's going to be right up there with these guys, but I don't want to get carried away just yet.

What I'm liking is the versatility Klopp is bringing into that midfield. Out of Milner, Gini and Keita, you couldn't say any of them are purely defensive. They all interchanged to attack and support the front three when needed, and they were all constantly tracking back to take up defensive positions. It'll be a nightmare for any opposition to come up with tactics to outsmart that strategy.

Can't see how Hendo fits into that system I'm afraid, the three starters yesterday should be the preferred ones for me.

Congrats Keita, welcome to your new home  :)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #374: Aug 13, 2018 07:15:39 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/20/naby-keita-liverpool-interview-gerrard-iniesta-rb-leipzig

Naby Keïta: ‘As a child, I played in the streets wearing a Liverpool shirt’

The midfielder idolised Steven Gerrard while growing up in Guinea – now he has taken on his No8 shirt and has made an immediate impact

Fri 20 Jul 2018 22.31 BST
      Last modified on Fri 20 Jul 2018 22.41 BST

Ewood Park on Thursday night and it is not only updates on Alisson’s world-record move to Anfield that is enthralling thousands of Liverpool fans in the Darwen End stand. The second-half performance of Naby KeĂŻta against Blackburn Rovers suggests that for Liverpool and JĂŒrgen Klopp here is another high-profile transfer worth the wait.

Yes, it was a pre-season friendly against Championship opposition and judgment should be reserved. But early impressions count. Within minutes of his introduction the captain of Guinea freed Daniel Sturridge behind the Blackburn defence with a slide-rule, diagonal pass. His composure on the ball, distribution and movement impressed throughout.

One year after agreeing a complex deal with RB Leipzig for the midfielder, one that eventually rose to ÂŁ52.75m, Liverpool are discovering why the 23-year-old’s father called his son Deco when they played football on the streets of Conakry, the capital of Guinea. In KeĂŻta’s eyes he was a Steven Gerrard or AndrĂ©s Iniesta. Klopp will be beside himself if he has landed a combination of the two.

“Since I signed for Liverpool my dad has spoken to me a lot about how much he loved them,” says Keïta. “As a kid we used to play in the streets wearing a Liverpool shirt. He had that love of Liverpool back then when I was 11 or 12 years old. Because I’m a midfielder and Steven Gerrard was always the boss of the team I couldn’t be anyone else but Steven Gerrard when I played.

“My overall favourite player would be Iniesta. It is his final ball, obviously, his skill and his ability. I know he is not known for his aggression but that is something I have added to my game, even if it is not one of his traits. I think as a midfielder you need to have that aggression as part of your game. But I always admired Deco too. It was funny because my dad loved Deco as a player. He started calling me Deco as a nickname around the house.”

“Eight was always the number I liked going back to my childhood,” says the Guinea international. “It’s also the number my dad wore when he played football so it’s special to me. He wasn’t fortunate enough to play professionally but he did play at a decent level for an amateur team in Conakry. I am aware that it’s a big number here at Liverpool and I am very excited to wear it. I know it was Steven’s number but I am not going to put any extra pressure on myself. What is more important is contributing for this team than the number on your back.

“I didn’t know that Steven would be at Melwood so it was a big shock and exciting to be presented with the shirt by him. Steven said: ‘Everyone will be here for you and help you to develop.’ I am here to learn and grow as a player.”

Barcelona and Bayern Munich rivalled Liverpool for KeĂŻta’s signature last summer but, even before witnessing the team’s exhilarating run to the Champions League final, he was convinced Anfield should be his next step.

“It’s true there were other teams involved like the ones you mention but a big part of my decision was the role of the coach,” he says. “We had good conversations. The words he spoke to me about this project really convinced me. I could see how the club was developing and I spoke at length with Sadio [ManĂ©]. Sadio is like a brother to me. We had nine months together at Salzburg and built up a good rapport. We have been great friends since that time. He told me what a great club this was and how the team was progressing and had great potential.”

Adapting to the physicality of English football should not be an issue for Keïta who, despite his admiration for players such as Iniesta and Deco, readily admits to revelling in the aggressive side of the game. Four red cards last season suggest revelling in it a bit too much. “I think I might have been a bit unfortunate with a couple of those reds,” he says, with a laugh. “The main thing is that they were not for losing my discipline or anything like that. It was just a tackle that was judged to be a little bit stronger than it was.

“I am someone who has a real winning mentality. I have a huge desire to win. That is why I am aggressive in a positive sense on the field. My first mindset when I am out on the field is to defend well and not concede. As a midfielder, when you have sealed things up at the back, my job is to provide the ammunition for the strikers and forwards, to create opportunities for them.

“I am a team player. My long-term aim has always been to play football at the highest level I possibly could for a big club. When that is in your mind you don’t give up, you constantly fight and battle to make that happen. But that isn’t to say that now I am at a massive club I am going to relax and to stop fighting and battling. I am still going to be the same.”

https://twitter.com/LFCHistoryShow/status/1029037505960701955

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #375: Aug 13, 2018 07:50:59 pm
      What a F***ing player.

I can’t wait to see more of him
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #376: Aug 13, 2018 11:42:55 pm
      F***ing love him already. Going to be a Beast.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #377: Aug 14, 2018 07:53:07 am
      F***ing love him already. Going to be a Beast.

Think he's going to be like Bailly, plenty of bookings mind you.  :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #378: Aug 14, 2018 07:56:44 am

I can't see Klopp criticising and making snide remarks about Keita every other week ;-)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #379: Aug 14, 2018 07:59:06 am
      I can't see Klopp criticising and making snide remarks about Keita every other week ;-)

Yeah that's pretty obvious. Klopp can keep his players happier than Mourinho can, sad to say but true.  >:(
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #380: Aug 14, 2018 08:35:26 am
      It’s definitely a worry, I hold my breath every time he’s closing someone down. From watching some of his Leipzig games, he definitely tends to be a bit rash in his challenges. I’m hoping Klopp can tone that down a bit as I feel this guy is the difference maker.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #381: Aug 14, 2018 12:53:45 pm
      Been watching him play for over a year now, and I still can't think of a single player similar to him, past or present.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #382: Aug 14, 2018 01:19:11 pm
      Been watching him play for over a year now, and I still can't think of a single player similar to him, past or present.

Which is a good thing, imo.

OK, he waves his arms a bit when he runs, reminding me of Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean films ;) but joking aside, he is pretty quick, has very quick feet, forces players (on both teams) to make a decision, speeds up play, has a lovely kind of drag back tackle and finds space well.

I really liked the buildup for the first goal on Sunday.
      He waited, then passed the ball into an area where Robertson simply had to attack it, and put it across the box. It was a lovely bit of play.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #383: Aug 14, 2018 06:17:48 pm
      I really liked the buildup for the first goal on Sunday.
      He waited, then passed the ball into an area where Robertson simply had to attack it, and put it across the box. It was a lovely bit of play.

This! How many times do you see the right option being used but the ball is not direct enough and the attack instantly slows down.

It was a lovely weighted ball in the danger area.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #384: Aug 14, 2018 06:25:27 pm
      This! How many times do you see the right option being used but the ball is not direct enough and the attack instantly slows down.

It was a lovely weighted ball in the danger area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwifm1u5dFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJz5CxEfHgE

I think it's his strongest trait. He draws so many players towards him leaving gaps for our players to exploit. I am still hoping we get to see him as the 6 or in a double pivot, because when he is breaking through the lines from the deeper areas, the opposition players are pretty f**king screwed :D
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018 06:52:04 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #385: Aug 14, 2018 07:00:41 pm
      No seems to be mentioning him taking on the whole West Ham defence, breezing through and nearly getting goal of the season in his first game.

Boss
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #386: Aug 14, 2018 09:47:33 pm
      No seems to be mentioning him taking on the whole West Ham defence, breezing through and nearly getting goal of the season in his first game.

Boss
      Not sure if I remember that mate. Unless you’re talking about when he collected it on the edge of the box and skipped by a few players and Wijnaldum skewed it wide.  If so, not a bad attempt but I was just more impressed with his overall control of the game and his decision making and weight of passing. Truly great talent.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #387: Aug 15, 2018 12:04:05 am

Boss

Is right.

I was about to..... sheer magic that was in the Mo / Louis style that .....wasn't it?

Awesome.

We have some jewels in this team now.

Its trophy time lads and ladettes!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #388: Aug 15, 2018 03:20:30 pm
      Have a hunch he could go on and become one of the greats.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #389: Aug 15, 2018 03:24:10 pm
      Watching last year you could see how he would fit into the side and what he could offer in the mid-field which we lacked, I never been this excited for a new signing since Torres and he had great opening game being the driving force in the middle of the park. Looking forward to seeing him continue his growth and become a star for the club.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #390: Aug 15, 2018 07:02:40 pm
      first time see him play and god he world class or going be world class player

Quick Reply