Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235176 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #644: Feb 05, 2019 06:52:09 pm
      I think the biggest problem is that we all thought we were buying a polished player, one that would make a huge difference right away and be one of the best in the league.

In reality he's the 7th best option in centre midfield for us with everyone fit and I know I for one am finding that hard to deal with.

Maybe the pricetag is weighing on him, maybe the number 8 is too. Either way, it's been an absolute disaster and I'm not even seeing the signs that he will be fine, however one lucky thing is that I know he has the talent from watching German league over the last few years (albeit mostly highlights), hopefully he brings it out and won't be the next Aquilani who came in with similar hype and had an ongoing settling in period interrupted by injury.

Come on Naby lad, sort it the F**k out, we need you.

Polished at 22/23 mate?
      No disrespect, but that's perhaps a bit ambitious for a young player.
      In my opinion, he's still a bit raw, but if we have patience, we'll have a real superstar.

I've seen a few bits and bobs from him that have made me sit up, particularly that wonderful turn on our left defensive side early in the season to bring the ball out.

I'm as confident about this lad as I've ever been about a player.
      He'll be fine, I'm sure of it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #645: Feb 05, 2019 07:26:37 pm
      I wonder if with those red cards last year and Jürgen having a word with him he seems a bit hesitant to go into tackles with any sort of conviction.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #646: Feb 05, 2019 07:35:04 pm
      I wonder if with those red cards last year and Jürgen having a word with him he seems a bit hesitant to go into tackles with any sort of conviction.

I personally think it's more to do with the fitness and physicality of the league. Probably won't see the best of him until next season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #647: Feb 05, 2019 08:10:28 pm
      I think the biggest problem is that we all thought we were buying a polished player, one that would make a huge difference right away and be one of the best in the league.

In reality he's the 7th best option in centre midfield for us with everyone fit and I know I for one am finding that hard to deal with.

Maybe the pricetag is weighing on him, maybe the number 8 is too. Either way, it's been an absolute disaster and I'm not even seeing the signs that he will be fine, however one lucky thing is that I know he has the talent from watching German league over the last few years (albeit mostly highlights), hopefully he brings it out and won't be the next Aquilani who came in with similar hype and had an ongoing settling in period interrupted by injury.

Come on Naby lad, sort it the f**k out, we need you.

That's a bit harsh mate.

New league, coming into a much stronger squad than his previous club, new tactics to adapt to, still young. He looks nervous but I can see small improvements each game he's definitely starting to adapt. I take a lot of hope from his second half performance last night and I hope Klopp starts him again at the weekend in a 3 man midfield to build his confidence rather than take the easy option and drop him.

Like Ox last season I think Klopp will persist with starting Naby though and we'll soon start to see the player we paid all that money for.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #648: Feb 05, 2019 09:17:36 pm
      That's a bit harsh mate.

New league, coming into a much stronger squad than his previous club, new tactics to adapt to, still young. He looks nervous but I can see small improvements each game he's definitely starting to adapt. I take a lot of hope from his second half performance last night and I hope Klopp starts him again at the weekend in a 3 man midfield to build his confidence rather than take the easy option and drop him.

Like Ox last season I think Klopp will persist with starting Naby though and we'll soon start to see the player we paid all that money for.

Agree with this, I took a lot of encouragement from the second half performance yesterday, I would love to see him play with the same spirit against Bournemouth.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #649: Feb 05, 2019 11:05:56 pm

Polished at 22/23 mate?
      No disrespect, but that's perhaps a bit ambitious for a young player.
      In my opinion, he's still a bit raw, but if we have patience, we'll have a real superstar.

I've seen a few bits and bobs from him that have made me sit up, particularly that wonderful turn on our left defensive side early in the season to bring the ball out.

I'm as confident about this lad as I've ever been about a player.
      He'll be fine, I'm sure of it.

That's a bit harsh mate.

Fair enough lads, I recognise that I'm being a little harsher on him than others, but that's transfer fee doing that. When you spend that much money on someone, you expect them to be better than he has been.

I do think he can pull through this, however while at the start of the season I was 100% sure he would, I'm now somewhere in the 80% range that he'll come good and it's not going up just by one or two good dribbles in the second half against a second rate West Ham team we should be hammering (pardon the pun)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #650: Feb 05, 2019 11:22:37 pm
      Terrible 1st half. He looked like he was jogging to get to get to Antonio.

2nd half I thought he played well. Wish he had have finished off the beautiful run he did into the box. He just needs that 1st goal and I'm positive it will send him on his way to a bright LFC future.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #651: Feb 06, 2019 04:18:09 am
      https://blog.redsbet.com/keita-can-be-liverpools-wildcard-even-if-hes-not-at-his-best/?utm_medium=fw&utm_source=anfieldhq

Pretty much sugars Keita, but it has a point: The are micro-signs that Keita gets it together...micro signs though.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #652: Feb 06, 2019 08:00:24 am
      What worried me was when he lost the ball in first half and then basically could not be assed chasing back . Not sure it's ability or attitude what's the problem 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #653: Feb 06, 2019 08:08:26 am
      What worried me was when he lost the ball in first half and then basically could not be assed chasing back . Not sure it's ability or attitude what's the problem 

I really think there is some kind of language barrier/shyness going on here, I have no doubt he has the ability and workrate but something is getting a bit lost in translation as regards instructions and team ethos. He just needs to get a bit more confident and feel more a part of the team, I hope and trust Jürgen and his team are working on this in the background.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #654: Feb 06, 2019 06:01:01 pm
      Thought he was good in that second half, only player looking capable of breaking that parked bus.

Bobby with some absolute howlers breaking up the attacks  :D

https://twitter.com/thereddebate/status/1092840958952132612?s=21
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #655: Feb 07, 2019 12:07:22 am
      Anyone reckon he would suit the 10 role?.

Keita

Salah.     Bobby.      Mane.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #656: Feb 07, 2019 12:23:25 am
      Thought he was good in that second half, only player looking capable of breaking that parked bus.

Bobby with some absolute howlers breaking up the attacks  :D

https://twitter.com/thereddebate/status/1092840958952132612?s=21

Yep, him and Fabinho were very positive in possession and I thought they played very well in the 2nd half. The problem was more between the lines where Firmino and Shaqiri/Lallana  could have done better imo.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #657: Feb 07, 2019 12:29:35 am
      I do not think he is up to speed as of yet. There is definitely a player in there, but may take a little more coaxing until he reaches his true potential.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #658: Feb 07, 2019 09:48:26 am
      I really think there is some kind of language barrier/shyness going on here, I have no doubt he has the ability and workrate but something is getting a bit lost in translation as regards instructions and team ethos. He just needs to get a bit more confident and feel more a part of the team, I hope and trust Jürgen and his team are working on this in the background.

Understand there may be barriers but when you lose the ball and then make an half ass attempt to get it back I don't give a shiny sh*te what language you speak you get back
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #659: Feb 07, 2019 10:14:55 am
      Watched the 2nd half of the game again last night, don’t know why I put myself through that experience but I did. Anyway, Keita did massively improve in the 2nd half, he seemed a lot more confident but I think a lot of what he done in that half was hindered by how poor Bobby was. Also would have assisted the winner if Origi had taken the chance.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #660: Feb 07, 2019 10:22:56 am
      he has been identified by the opposition as someone who can be got at and who holds the ball for too long. When central midfield player lose the ball high up it leaves in a dire position .I kept seeing the sight of  Andy Robbo doing his best to get back after Naby lost the ball.
      If we have Henderson, Fab and Gini rather two out of those three he has cover behind him to allow him to press on.
      If Kante can fins a role at his size I am more than confident Naby will come good and a bit like Fab he is improving we have to give him a bit of time because we need his style of play
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #661: Feb 07, 2019 10:53:48 am
      Anyone reckon he would suit the 10 role?.

Keita

Salah.     Bobby.      Mane.

Yes 100%, until he gets a better feel for the Prem in terms of pace etc then I think CAM is perfect for him where he has the freedom to make darting runs forwards and link up play with the forwards, I hope and pray that Klopp sees this as well, we have to shift to a more attacking format now.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #662: Feb 07, 2019 11:09:13 am
      Understand there may be barriers but when you lose the ball and then make an half ass attempt to get it back I don't give a shiny sh*te what language you speak you get back

Yep - that was piss poor.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #663: Feb 07, 2019 11:51:30 am
      he has been identified by the opposition as someone who can be got at and who holds the ball for too long. When central midfield player lose the ball high up it leaves in a dire position .I kept seeing the sight of  Andy Robbo doing his best to get back after Naby lost the ball.
      If we have Henderson, Fab and Gini rather two out of those three he has cover behind him to allow him to press on.
      If Kante can fins a role at his size I am more than confident Naby will come good and a bit like Fab he is improving we have to give him a bit of time because we need his style of play

I am wondering if Hendo/Wijnaldum is a more suited partner for Keita than Fabinho as Hendo/Wijnaldum's defensive game is more similar to your Kante, Allan and Torreira's.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #664: Feb 07, 2019 12:16:54 pm
      He has been disappointing so far and I really thought he would be an instant hit based on the various clips and game films of his last couple of seasons in Germany. My thoughts on him thus far are:

He needs to

- Be far more careful with the ball. He doesn't really check if the pass is on, he gave it away a couple of times the other night with no-look passes and was lucky not to cost us a goal.

- Release the ball a lot more quickly, he often beats a man (does all the hard work) but then holds on to it too long and either loses the ball or ends up playing a safe pass backwards as all his angles have shut down.

- Show a bit of positional awareness. I'm still not sure what role Jürgen wants him to play. Does he want him to be box to box, sit and hold, or as an out an out attacking mid? f Klopp doesn't know then i'm not sure Naby does either. He clearly likes to get forward but he doesn't half abandon his post when we are attacking and then unfortunately if he is the one who then turns over the ball then he (and the whole team) are in a difficult position. 

What I like:

- We saw in that 2nd half that he can turn on the ball and glide past players, he also likes to travel with the ball and this is crucial against teams that park the bus. Funnily enough he looked more influential when Firmino wasn't treading on his toes in central areas.

- As has been suggested already, stick him in front of Fabinho and Gini and give him some licence to roam. When Firmino drops deep give him some licence to get beyond the ball. With the 2 behind him at least we are better set should he lose the ball in a bad area.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #665: Feb 07, 2019 06:46:27 pm
      If his profile is a bit of everything then i'd like to see him play as an out and out CM.    At times he's still running into space that the forwards want to occupy IMO. No problem him getting himself in the box but rather he arrived late than as part as the first attack.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 

Quick Reply