Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235168 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #667: Feb 09, 2019 05:36:44 pm
      Keita's best match this season and a MOTM performance!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #668: Feb 09, 2019 05:45:34 pm
      Brilliant stuff from Naby today.

Looked his usual self going forward and trying to make things happen, but more importantly his defensive performance impressed me more, he was constantly pressing and winning the ball back for us.

The more he plays, the better he will get.

I would most definitely start him against Bayern, especially with his history in the Bundesliga.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #669: Feb 09, 2019 07:53:21 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1094313496316137473

Fine words by Robbo on Keita. Tells you everything you need to know about Robbo's outlook and that of the whole squad - always looking to pass praise onto those deserving of it especially if they've struggled like Keita has in recent weeks.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #670: Feb 09, 2019 08:43:26 pm
      I don't think I saw him over run the ball today he was much more measured in his play. Hendo back to form before his injury Gini fantastic today Fab getting better and better so coming into the run in we can cope with anything from our midfield.
      Add to that Milner who just gets better as he gets older and Shaq who can change a game in a moment its going to be a cracking few months
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #671: Feb 09, 2019 09:10:18 pm
      Don't think it's a coincidence that one of his better or probably even his best game for us to date has come against a team like Bournemouth that likes to play football themselves. He had plenty of space and time on the ball to get his head up. The circumstances were much more like the ones he was used to playing in in the Bundesliga.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in midfield against Bayern, on the condition that both Henderson and Wijnaldum play too. He seems to be better when he has the more experienced players alongside him to guide him through games. The type of game Bayern likes to play, should also suit his style far more than games against the likes of Palace, Leicester and West Ham. He thrives in bigger spaces, quick transitions and higher tempo games in my opinion.

It's a nice confidence booster, but he'll face far tougher tests during the rest of the season if he manages to keep getting game time when all of Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner and Fabinho are fit.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #672: Feb 09, 2019 09:56:40 pm
      Taking the first small steps to making a lot of people on here look a bit silly.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #673: Feb 09, 2019 10:02:22 pm
      Yeh - 3 good half’s in a row.

Maybe first half vs West Ham will be a blessing in the long run. Seemed to feel himself hit the bottom and has rebounded big time.

More power to you Naby kid. I still think you’ll boss this league eventually.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #674: Feb 09, 2019 11:27:29 pm
      Yeh - 3 good half’s in a row.

Maybe first half vs West Ham will be a blessing in the long run. Seemed to feel himself hit the bottom and has rebounded big time.

More power to you Naby kid. I still think you’ll boss this league eventually.

He will mate just slow settling in is all. The lad has world class potential and Klopp knows it. He has skills none of our other played possess apart from Ox which is to beat players from deep and run at pace to the opposition's box.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #675: Feb 10, 2019 01:48:50 am
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #676: Feb 10, 2019 08:24:02 am
      Would be huge plus if Naby kept/improved recent form for the rest of the run in. Looked like he might be a bit part player for the season, but starting to show some signs of confidence.
      Imagine he'd fancy a run against Bayern, knows them well enough I'd say.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #677: Feb 10, 2019 08:41:49 am
      Brilliant yesterday. Adapting well now.

Yesterdays midfield with the option of AOC has a lot of potential for the future.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #678: Feb 10, 2019 09:55:09 am
      Damn, he looked good. I agree with the poster that said he should start against Bayern, given his time in Germany and the type of game it is likely to be. Against United, maybe he is not quite ready for a game like that.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #679: Feb 10, 2019 01:08:47 pm
      So is Fab-Gini-Keita our best midfield?

We'll need to see them together in a run of games but early signs this will be it going forward.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #680: Feb 10, 2019 01:24:56 pm
      So is Fab-Gini-Keita our best midfield?

We'll need to see them together in a run of games but early signs this will be it going forward.

I think Fabinho is the key. You can replace Wijnaldum with Hendo/Milner, you can also replace Keita with Wijnaldum (and possibly Lallana?) and still get a very similar functioning midfield, but is there another midfielder we have that can distribute like Fab from deep, that can dominate aerially or read the game like he does and put in strong tackles all in one?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #681: Feb 10, 2019 01:44:55 pm
      I think Fabinho is the key. You can replace Wijnaldum with Hendo/Milner, you can also replace Keita with Wijnaldum (and possibly Lallana?) and still get a very similar functioning midfield, but is there another midfielder we have that can distribute like Fab from deep, that can dominate aerially or read the game like he does and put in strong tackles all in one?

Don't underestimate Gini's role in Keita playing good yesterday, i think Keita could be swapped over for Ox depending on who's in better form. But Gini and Fabinho for me are the best duo to help get the best out of Keita and our midfield.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #682: Feb 10, 2019 01:58:56 pm

Not yet he's not.
      He's fine when he has someone playing beside him, but as the lone 6 (ish) he gets bypassed far too easily.
      The same happened yesterday; in his desire to get on the front foot early and be aggressive, he went too early and the opposition player just went past him.
      It's not a major problem, he'll learn, but for now he still needs a "minder".
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #683: Feb 10, 2019 02:51:23 pm
      Not yet he's not.
      He's fine when he has someone playing beside him, but as the lone 6 (ish) he gets bypassed far too easily.
      The same happened yesterday; in his desire to get on the front foot early and be aggressive, he went too early and the opposition player just went past him.
      It's not a major problem, he'll learn, but for now he still needs a "minder".

I wonder if that is a Klopp instruction to have Fabinho more front footed as he wasn't over committing often for Monaco. I have also seen Hendo take that gamble many occasions when deployed as a 6 but only to get bypassed far too easily too. The difference is, I think Hendo reacts quicker, therefore isn't as reliant on Wijnaldum/Milner as Fabinho would be.

I do agree, Fabinho is better off with either Wijnaldum, Milner or Hendo next to him and always will be. I also think Fabinho brings the best out of Hendo/Wijnaldum/Milner. It reminds me of an Alonso and Masch midfield where Hendo/Wijnaldum/Milner assumes the role of Masch and Fabinho assumes the role of Alonso.

Where we have 1 "Alonso" in the squad, we have 3 "Masch's", and I feel losing that 1 Alonso changes our particular way of playing in midfield and we become less fluid and in control of the middle, hence the reason why I think Fabinho is the glue and key in midfield when he plays next to Hendo/Wijnaldum/Milner.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #684: Feb 10, 2019 03:07:01 pm
      I wonder if that is a Klopp instruction to have Fabinho more front footed as he wasn't over committing often for Monaco. I have also seen Hendo take that gamble many occasions when deployed as a 6 but only to get bypassed far too easily too. The difference is, I think Hendo reacts quicker, therefore isn't as reliant on Wijnaldum/Milner as Fabinho would be.

I do agree, Fabinho is better off with either Wijnaldum, Milner or Hendo next to him and always will be. I also think Fabinho brings the best out of Hendo/Wijnaldum/Milner. It reminds me of an Alonso and Masch midfield where Hendo/Wijnaldum/Milner assumes the role of Masch and Fabinho assumes the role of Alonso.

Where we have 1 "Alonso" in the squad, we have 3 "Masch's", and I feel losing that 1 Alonso changes our particular way of playing in midfield and we become less fluid and in control of the middle, hence the reason why I think Fabinho is the glue and key in midfield when he plays next to Hendo/Wijnaldum/Milner.

It's just a matter of positioning and experience for me. He'll get there, I have no doubt.

Henderson is different, because he triggers and leads the midfield press.
      Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and teams can get in behind the midfield a bit, but because they are usually sat so deep, it's not often they can do it in numbers.

What I saw yesterday, was 3 players rotating throughout the match.
      Sometimes we had Fabinho and Keita with Wijnaldum up, then Fabinho and Wijnaldum with Keita up etc etc
      The 3 were constantly rotating with 2 staying and 1 pushing up, depending on where the ball was.
      It had the effect of confusing the opposition a bit, because they were never quite sure who to pick up, so in the end they went completely zonal.
      This is why I think it's a mistake to say player X is "the 6", because they'll all rotate in and out of the 2 deep positions, and at times form a flat 3 (with Firmino dropping deep and sitting slightly in front).
      To me, Klopp's goal is clear; 6 players who can all drop in and out of any of the midfield positions, rotate between them, and know when to rotate.
      Within those 6 we'll have runners who can surge and break the lines.
      Ideally, it should be all of them, but we're not quite there yet.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #685: Feb 10, 2019 08:50:12 pm
      Finally the Naby we have been waiting for.

I'm gonna call it now. His first LFC Goal will be against Bayern Munich and he will start scoring for fun after that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #686: Feb 11, 2019 12:08:41 pm
      Klopp knows the importance of a fully firing Keita.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1094873382494105601?s=21
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #687: Feb 11, 2019 12:55:37 pm

Quote from: Klopp on Naby
      “It was a big step. The 2nd half against West Ham was a big step but nobody really realised it because nobody was happy with the game. The position was clearer. Sometimes it takes longer. People lose patience – but we don’t. This was obviously one of the best games he’s played.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/naby-keita-taken-big-step-15808809.amp?__twitter_impression=true
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #688: Feb 11, 2019 02:44:24 pm
      That was the Keita we paid all that money for. A complete performance out of him in a crucially important game. We saw him pressure opponents, be disruptive and recovering the ball, carrying it across the midfield and putting through a beautiful pass to Bobby for our 3rd.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #689: Feb 11, 2019 07:17:22 pm

Quick Reply