Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235446 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #713: Feb 20, 2019 07:41:16 pm
      Any analysis of how Keita did? Was the Bayern game a step forward, backward or standing still?

Thought he was good especially in the first half and still our only midfielder until Ox is back who can pick up a ball in midfield and drive through a marshalled defence.

Defensively he was also much more in tune with his positioning and tracking back but like the rest of the team seemed to tire as the game went on.

His final ball was still not quite what it should be but as he gets used to playing more often with the front three it will become more natural as he will know exactly where and when the likes of Mane are making a move.

I think posters are still confusing him for an attacking midfielder he has never played that role.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #714: Feb 23, 2019 12:13:05 am
      Would love to see Keita play week in week out until he plays himself out of form.

I have a feeling with Ox getting back into the mix and Keita's form starting to come,  I think we will start to see the best out of Keita.

I think it's either Keita or Ox in a midfield 3 but if they were both in a midfield at the same time on form, well that's an exciting thought.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #715: Feb 23, 2019 08:54:16 am
      Slowly improving, for me it was almost make or break after the first half against West Ham when it was utterly atrocious. Still a huge let down after all the hype, although signs are showing that he'll turn into a good player and hopefully when he develops into that he can show glimpses of the great player we thought we were signing.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #716: Feb 23, 2019 12:08:43 pm
      Slowly improving, for me it was almost make or break after the first half against West Ham when it was utterly atrocious. Still a huge let down after all the hype, although signs are showing that he'll turn into a good player and hopefully when he develops into that he can show glimpses of the great player we thought we were signing.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree.

Let me just say that years of experience have taught me to not expect much in a players first season.
      If they perform, great, if not, no worries.
      Next season however, I'll expect him to step it up and show why we paid so much for him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #717: Feb 23, 2019 12:17:30 pm

Let me just say that years of experience have taught me to not expect much in a players first season.
      Next season however, I'll expect him to step it up and show why we paid so much for him.

I never expect too much but I expected Naby to be sort of where he has been the last 2 games right from the start, I never expected a sub standard couple of months at all. Think that’s all past us now and he can kick on!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #718: Feb 23, 2019 12:26:33 pm
      I never expect too much but I expected Naby to be sort of where he has been the last 2 games right from the start, I never expected a sub standard couple of months at all. Think that’s all past us now and he can kick on!

Fair enough :)

I read an article by Tomkins a while back, where he and his stats guru's quantified success of players in their first season.
      They went really in depth, and used comparison with established players as well as the usual stats, and a load of other stuff I don't remember.
      Anyway, the bottom line was that only 25% of big money buys, have a big impact in their first season.
      The other 75% are either mediocre, or just plain bad, at least by the measures used.

It was an interesting read, if nothing else, and served to reinforce my own belief that I shouldn't expect too much in a players first season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #719: Feb 23, 2019 01:03:53 pm

Must admit I’m with Mags on this one.

There are loads of reasons (not least niggling injuries / lack of rhythm) but I think if I were to say he hasn’t been a disappointment (to date) it wouldn’t be honest.

I didn’t necessarily expect him to be at full tilt in season one but I did expect a lot more than we’ve seen to date.

He will come good - I’m sure - but I wanted / expected a bit more thus far.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #720: Feb 23, 2019 01:15:51 pm
      I do think those early injuries at the start of the season have really slowed down his adaptation to the club. I'd say he has disappointed but only because I truly expect a lot from him. No rush though, he's a young player on a long term contract. Still think he's brilliant and has a lot of talent. Expectations still high.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #721: Feb 23, 2019 01:22:25 pm
      I do think those early injuries at the start of the season have really slowed down his adaptation to the club. I'd say he has disappointed but only because I truly expect a lot from him. No rush though, he's a young player on a long term contract. Still think he's brilliant and has a lot of talent. Expectations still high.

Spot on for me Diego
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #722: Feb 24, 2019 05:06:02 pm
      Very surprised not to see him on at some point in that second half.

There again Klopp does make strange decisions at times.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #723: Feb 24, 2019 05:41:49 pm
      Was sorely missed today, hope him getting dropped doesn't have any impact on his form or confidence.

Play him every game Jürgen, his the one who could make the difference in terms of creativity.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #724: Feb 24, 2019 06:58:10 pm
      Keita is still not stable enough for those high-profile games which makes him a bust for the kind of money he cost. He just played vs. Bayern because of our injury situation. But at least he's coming together, but probably too late to make an impact in this season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #725: Feb 24, 2019 09:06:43 pm
      Was sorely missed today, hope him getting dropped doesn't have any impact on his form or confidence.

Play him every game Jürgen, his the one who could make the difference in terms of creativity.

Don't agree at all - the way the Utd tried to counter would not have suited him at all.

I think we might have seen him in a more advanced role in 2nd half as an impact sub mind - if we'd had 3 to make 2nd half.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #726: Feb 24, 2019 09:12:03 pm
      Don't agree at all - the way the Utd tried to counter would not have suited him at all.

I think we might have seen him in a more advanced role in 2nd half as an impact sub mind - if we'd had 3 to make 2nd half.

I was talking from an impact sub perspective. I get why he didn't start but i felt after that first half he was a must in the second as united looked there for the taking at parts in that game, we just needed to be brave enough and get at them.

I appreciate having Naby on in the second half may have left us vulnerable to the counter, but they had a striker literally playing with one good leg and the other is a donkey who is named Lukaku, so F**k it why not.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #727: Feb 24, 2019 09:17:18 pm
      I was talking from an impact sub perspective. I get why he didn't start but i felt after that first half he was a must in the second as united looked there for the taking at parts in that game, we just needed to be brave enough and get at them.

I appreciate having Naby on in the second half may have left us vulnerable to the counter, but they had a striker literally playing with one good leg and the other is a donkey who is named Lukaku, so f**k it why not.

Came down to him or Shaq -hard to argue with the choice made for me.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #728: Feb 24, 2019 09:18:52 pm
      Came down to him or Shaq -hard to argue with the choice made for me.

Fair enough, i thought we could have gone with Shaq down the right and Salah through the middle with Keita in behind, but it is what it is.

I reckon he starts against Watford and just hope he has a good game to get himself in contention for the derby game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #729: Feb 24, 2019 09:37:13 pm

I appreciate having Naby on in the second half may have left us vulnerable to the counter, but they had a striker literally playing with one good leg and the other is a donkey who is named Lukaku, so f**k it why not.

Matip showed up Utd’s weakness when he ran at them through the heart of their defence.

Naby was tailor made for that second half.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #730: Feb 24, 2019 10:48:13 pm
      Should have started no two ways about it.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #731: Feb 28, 2019 09:25:07 pm
      Was surprised not to see Naby come on as a sub against Utd. Don't think Shaq's been playing as well lately, while Naby has been improving - would have much preferred to see him come on. Think Naby's started running better and more directly with the ball and think that was the way thro against them- our crossing and set pieces had been so poor, they defended them comfortably.
      Guess Jürgen sees them more though and had his reasons, but I'd like to see more of Naby - think he has more to offer than Shaq, and would love to see him play more part of the run in.

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #732: Mar 03, 2019 08:16:16 pm
      What’s Keita gotta do to get a game these days? Played 6-7 on the bounce and finding some form at last and then bosh. Can’t get near the pitch. Bizarre.
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2019 06:32:38 am by Scottbot »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #733: Mar 03, 2019 08:37:09 pm
      What’s Keita gotta do to get a game these days? Played 6-7 on the bounce and finding some for at the least and then bosh. Can’t get near the pitch. Bizarre.

You would think having Fabinho & Wijnaldum/Hendo would be enough defensive cover vs sh*t teams....
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #734: Mar 03, 2019 10:24:31 pm
      Bizzare just as he looked to be finding his feet boom your binned lad...mad stuff
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #735: Mar 04, 2019 02:19:33 am
      Bizzare just as he looked to be finding his feet boom your binned lad...mad stuff

Agreed mate, haven't seen him since.

Weird.

Quick Reply